PDA

View Full Version : 4.5

traitoravery
03-06-2007, 02:27 AM
If the Mavs Lose Tomm. night(not saying they will) and the Spurs win all games from March 6th through the 10th the Spurs could be 4.5 games behind Dallas......Think its possible..... :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

timvp
03-06-2007, 02:28 AM
The Spurs could win the rest of their games and they wouldn't come close to catching the Mavs.

Shank
If my aunt had balls...

timvp
The Spurs could win the rest of their games and they wouldn't come close to catching the Mavs.

In the regular season.

:smokin

RC's Boss
03-06-2007, 02:32 AM
We'll have to wait until the WCF to show 'em who daddy is.

jaffies
03-06-2007, 02:34 AM
If my aunt had balls...

in the regular season.

:smokin

AnkleBreaker21
03-06-2007, 02:34 AM
that be the shiznit

T Park
03-06-2007, 02:35 AM
screw it

Let em raise another worthless banner.

SpursDynasty
03-06-2007, 02:48 AM
These Spurs could beat the Mavs 4 games to 2.

jman3000
03-06-2007, 02:57 AM
ugh... i hate this shit.

ponky
03-06-2007, 03:31 AM
go for it! please?

whottt
03-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Spurs can easily catch the Mavs.

#1. Suns catch Mavs

#2. Spurs catch Suns

S'all you gotta do.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2007, 03:36 AM
Spurs can easily catch the Mavs.

#1. Suns catch Mavs

#2. Spurs catch Suns

S'all you gotta do.
??

It's late.

Sacramental
03-06-2007, 03:52 AM
the GPA of my dreams.

exstatic
03-06-2007, 07:42 AM
We won't catch Dallas for the division, but I think Phoenix is totally do-able, especially since they play Dallas twice more.

polandprzem
03-06-2007, 07:55 AM
If my aunt had balls...
...at regular basis

boutons_
03-06-2007, 08:10 AM
The way the Spurs are playing now really pisses me off how they played Dec - Feb.

I'd really like to know what finally switched them into "Spurs" mode.

It's so much easier and more fun to play up to your ability than it is to fuck off.

The damage is done. There's no way the Spurs can make up 9 games on the Mavs with only 22 games remaining.

whottt
03-06-2007, 08:11 AM
We won't catch Dallas for the division, but I think Phoenix is totally do-able, especially since they play Dallas twice more.

Phoenix can catch Dallas just as easily as we can catch Phoenix...connect the dots.

Dirkadirkastan
03-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Mavs have to go at best 14-9 for there to be a mathematical chance. Don't count on it. Or worry about it. HCA didn't matter too much last year.

Agloco
03-06-2007, 09:37 AM

And us once...........

Agloco
03-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Phoenix can catch Dallas just as easily as we can catch Phoenix...connect the dots.

The Spurs gotta go 22-0 while Dallas would need to go 12-10 (I think dallas would still have tiebreaks on us even if we win out......).

If we had tiebreaks, they (the Mavs) would need to go 13-9.

Unless something unforseen happens (read:injuries), I don't see that happening. They might lose 4-5 more along the way.

bigfan
03-06-2007, 10:06 AM
I think we shouldnt worry too much about catching the Mavs, thats pretty much over and props to the Mavs for a good season so far. We should stick to our gameplan by not wearing out our team and we'll do just fine in the playoffs.

Louae
03-06-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't care to catch the Mavs. In fact, I hope the Mavs win 70 games this year. It'll make it that much sweeter beating them 4 times in the playoffs.

BUMP
03-06-2007, 10:37 AM
you guys arent going to catch us in the reg. season.

and im glad you guys realistically think you have a shot in the playoffs. i will be roaring laughter once its a sweep. :lol

Jimcs50
03-06-2007, 10:37 AM
screw it

I remember the days when we would all show up for 1st home game to see the Central and Midwest Division banners being raised......try to remember where you came from.

:)

BUMP
03-06-2007, 10:42 AM
please. try and catch us, its worth a laugh

TwoHandJam
03-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Love the bravado. Let me guess, you were curled up in the fetal position in a closet last year after talking smack to Heat fans right?

The propensity your team has for folding, I wouldn't put anything past them. I don't think the Spurs can catch the Mavs but I also don't think HCA will be all that important in the postseason.

You would think last year would have taught some Mav fans a little humility.

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Personally, I wouldn't want to set a goal like that then fall short, as it makes whatever record you have seem like you are let down. Just like when we were trying to catch the T-Wolves in 2004.

There is no reason to worry about best record, as it hasn't meant much lately. It is who plays the best when it counts. #1 seed only means you get to play at home.

The last WC #1 seed to not only get to the Finals but to win it all was the Spurs in 2003.
You have to go back to 2000 to find the next one, which was the Lakers.

lurker
03-06-2007, 11:01 AM
You're setting yourself up for even more disappointment if you think the Spurs will catch up to the Mavs.

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't think they will catch up to them at all until their playoff series.

LilMissSPURfect
03-06-2007, 11:19 AM
screw it

:toast :toast :toast

Agloco
03-06-2007, 11:56 AM
you guys arent going to catch us in the reg. season.

and im glad you guys realistically think you have a shot in the playoffs. i will be roaring laughter once its a sweep. :lol

Amusing no doubt.

Big ups to the Mavs on winning their 2nd consecutive division championship. Regular season kings.........

Jimcs50
03-06-2007, 12:05 PM
The Spurs could win the rest of their games

They will tie last years record.

:)

J.T.
03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
It's the Mavs that will have to catch the Spurs in May.

mabber
03-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Amusing no doubt.

Big ups to the Mavs on winning their 2nd consecutive division championship. Regular season kings.........

I kinda recall the Spurs winning the division last season.

DubMcDub
03-06-2007, 01:03 PM
If the Mavs Lose Tomm. night(not saying they will) and the Spurs win all games from March 6th through the 10th the Spurs could be 4.5 games behind Dallas:hungry:

Not that your point was valid anyway, but it's not even mathematically correct. Spurs would gain 1 game tonight assuming they win and a Mavs loss (7.5 games back), then would gain .5 for each of the 3 games they play until Saturday while the Mavs have some time off (6 games back).

DubMcDub
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Love the bravado. Let me guess, you were curled up in the fetal position in a closet last year after talking smack to Heat fans right?

The propensity your team has for folding, I wouldn't put anything past them. I don't think the Spurs can catch the Mavs but I also don't think HCA will be all that important in the postseason.

You would think last year would have taught some Mav fans a little humility.

Yeah they folded pretty bad in game 7 in SA too as I recall. Damn propensity for folding. How will the Mavs ever overcome it?! :lol :rolleyes

Pop OFits
03-06-2007, 01:11 PM
My 40 time...in my dreams.

traitoravery
03-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Not that your point was valid anyway, but it's not even mathematically correct. Spurs would gain 1 game tonight assuming they win and a Mavs loss (7.5 games back), then would gain .5 for each of the 3 games they play until Saturday while the Mavs have some time off (6 games back).
Youre right my bad....

Agloco
03-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I kinda recall the Spurs winning the division last season.

LOL....you bit. Thus making my point ever more clear.....

Agloco
03-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Good point, you beat me to it.......

The only thing anyone needs to look at is the loss column since every team plays the same amount of games.

Matters not if the Spurs have played 3 more games and catch up in the GB column.

By this method, they would still effectively be 8 games back come March 10 if the scenario played out.

mabber
03-06-2007, 01:28 PM
LOL....you bit. Thus making my point ever more clear.....

Just correcting you. Not arguing your point.

Is bit good or bad?

Agloco
03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Just correcting you. Not arguing your point.

Is bit good or bad?

Its a good thing of course :toast :toast

Unless your significant other is doing the biting.......... nevermind.

confined
03-06-2007, 01:34 PM
mavs arent choking again in the playoffs...u can tell by the way they play...theyre like a machine and over and over dirk, terry, and avery just keep going on about finishing and winning it all

Obstructed_View
03-06-2007, 02:13 PM
winning it all
It's terms like this from Mavs fans that further reinforce my belief that they have zero perspective.

Oh, Gee!!
03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Can they get the second seed in the West if they have a better record than the Suns?

Mr. Peabody
03-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Can they get the second seed in the West if they have a better record than the Suns?
Not for the opening round. The division winners are 1, 2, & 3. I think it changes once you get to the second round.

TwoHandJam
03-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah they folded pretty bad in game 7 in SA too as I recall. Damn propensity for folding. How will the Mavs ever overcome it?! :lol :rolleyes
Right. One data point does not a trend make. The Mavs history of choking is far more established in the postseason than their successes. Let's not forget the Mavs were up 3-1 in that series and very nearly choked that away too.

Again, all this to say that some Mav fans sense of confidence is surprising given their history.

DubMcDub
03-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Right. One data point does not a trend make. The Mavs history of choking is far more established in the postseason than their successes. Let's not forget the Mavs were up 3-1 in that series and very nearly choked that away too.

Again, all this to say that some Mav fans sense of confidence is surprising given their history.

Talk about contradicting yourself.

And how does "very nearly" choking a series count more than "very nearly" winning a championship and not choking? Who gives a shit what "very nearly" happened.

The fact is you're doing exactly what you say is errant--judging a team as chokers based on one data point.

mabber
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM

When have the Mavs ever choked away a playoff series other than in the NBA finals last year? I'm just curious about this "history" of them choking in the playoffs some of you are always talking about. I believe they've won just about every playoff series they were favored in and a couple they weren't favored in. I don't recall who the favorite was in the Mav/Suns 2nd round series in 2004 was. I do know that the Mavs didn't choke in that series, they just got beat. I don't recall them blowing a series while being the favorites. They almost did vs. the Trailblazers a few years back and they almost did vs. the Spurs last season...but they didn't and isn't that the point?

thekingrobert
03-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Who cares for number ! seed we had it last year and the good it did us, as long as we're in the playoffs and we are so WATCHOUT

Extra Stout
03-06-2007, 05:15 PM
But not at the same time. One or the other can happen, not both.

bus driver
03-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Mavs win in fou.....(cough, cough, cough, cough)....sorry i was choking....

Vingianx
03-06-2007, 06:10 PM

PHX is out of the question, we can beat them no matter what position they're in

Vingianx
03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
You're setting yourself up for even more disappointment if you think the Spurs will catch up to the Mavs.

and you're setting up for a big disappointment to think your record is gonna get you a championship. Not talking about you but all Mav fans in general.

Vingianx
03-06-2007, 06:18 PM
It's terms like this from Mavs fans that further reinforce my belief that they have zero perspective.

I thought it was since Cuban became owner.

DubMcDub
03-06-2007, 06:18 PM
When have the Mavs ever choked away a playoff series other than in the NBA finals last year? I'm just curious about this "history" of them choking in the playoffs some of you are always talking about. I believe they've won just about every playoff series they were favored in and a couple they weren't favored in. I don't recall who the favorite was in the Mav/Suns 2nd round series in 2004 was. I do know that the Mavs didn't choke in that series, they just got beat. I don't recall them blowing a series while being the favorites. They almost did vs. the Trailblazers a few years back and they almost did vs. the Spurs last season...but they didn't and isn't that the point?

Exactly. I love how he's telling me that you can't dictate a trend from one event and yet he's dictating a trend (Mavs are chokers) from one instance of choking.

Historically, the Mavs are not chokers. They havent always been a top flight team, but they rarely choked.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2007, 07:17 PM
The fact is you're doing exactly what you say is errant--judging a team as chokers based on one data point.
Mavericks Team History = One Data Point

TwoHandJam
03-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Exactly. I love how he's telling me that you can't dictate a trend from one event and yet he's dictating a trend (Mavs are chokers) from one instance of choking.

Historically, the Mavs are not chokers. They havent always been a top flight team, but they rarely choked.
Oh good grief. Fine, split hairs if you want. Choking, folding... what I'm getting at is the Mavs have a history of losing (although I seem to remember them choking pretty nicely at Kerr's hands in '03). That trend is pretty well established. Agreed?

A lot of the overconfidence from certain Mav fans in here is surprising and unfounded imo. But I guess that's why they call them fans.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I thought it was since Cuban became owner.
Well, Cuban built the AAC and Victory Plaza, drafted Dirk, traded for Finley, signed Steve Nash, hired Donn Nelson and was singlehandedly responsible for the incredible turnaround of the Mavericks. He should certainly get credit for all the banners hanging in the AAC.

td4mvp21
03-06-2007, 07:20 PM
It's stupid for any Spurs fan to think we are an automatic to beat Dallas in the playoffs. It's even dumber for a Mavs fan to think the Spurs will go down in less than 6. (Cough, BUMP)

I could care less if we catch Dallas, HCA isn't everything. It won't even matter if we play Dallas, they can beat us on our HC and we can beat them on theirs.

Agloco
03-06-2007, 07:29 PM
It's stupid for any Spurs fan to think we are an automatic to beat Dallas in the playoffs. It's even dumber for a Mavs fan to think the Spurs will go down in less than 6. (Cough, BUMP)

I could care less if we catch Dallas, HCA isn't everything. It won't even matter if we play Dallas, they can beat us on our HC and we can beat them on theirs.

Agreed but.................

Getting the top seed is important in the West due to the fact that 3 teams are considered powerhouses in the conference: Dallas, Phoenix and SA

Getting the top seed virtually guarantees that you dont have to play both of the other two (as the other two will finish 2 and 3 most likely), while the 2 and 3 spots have to go through both of the others.

exstatic
03-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Not for the opening round. The division winners are 1, 2, & 3. I think it changes once you get to the second round.
They fixed that shit. Too much question of teams dropping games to get a better 1st rd. matchup. I think the team everyone in the lower bracket wanted was a weak division winning Nuggets squad.

I believe that top 4 records are seeded 1-4, and then any division winners that fall thru would get preference after that. SA got fucked having to face Dallas in the second round after that bruising (literally) series against Sacto.

Oh, and I agree that we don't need HCA against Phoenix, but more home games is good for the fans and the bottom line. :)

GrandeDavid
03-06-2007, 07:45 PM
go for it! please?

I'm sure they will. So you don't even have to be careful what you wish for. Its gonna happen.

Dalhoop
03-06-2007, 07:50 PM
In order for the Spurs to catch the Suns, the Suns would have to lose. They do play many top teams in the final month of the season (They have not done well against those teams this year.)

I do think that the Spurs can catch the Suns, but catching the Mavs is a different matter altogether.

Should the Spurs push the team to catch the Suns? I don't think so, they have bigger fish to fry. And they need to be rested before trying to fry that fish.

ponky
03-06-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm sure they will. So you don't even have to be careful what you wish for. Its gonna happen.

Great news!!! I'm looking forward to it!

texas84
03-07-2007, 12:35 AM
They fixed that shit. Too much question of teams dropping games to get a better 1st rd. matchup. I think the team everyone in the lower bracket wanted was a weak division winning Nuggets squad.

I believe that top 4 records are seeded 1-4, and then any division winners that fall thru would get preference after that. SA got fucked having to face Dallas in the second round after that bruising (literally) series against Sacto.

Oh, and I agree that we don't need HCA against Phoenix, but more home games is good for the fans and the bottom line. :)

For the record... the 3 division winners and the next best record that is not a division winner are seeded 1-4 according to record. The 5-8 seeds are solely according to record.

For example... say Dallas wins the division and conference this year, but San Antonio has the second best record in the conference ahead of the Suns and Jazz (the other two division leaders). The seeding would be 1. Dallas, 2. San Antonio, 3. Phoenix, and 4. Utah.

anon101
03-07-2007, 12:56 AM
I don't recall who the favorite was in the Mav/Suns 2nd round series in 2004 was.

I'll assume you mean 2005 since that's the first time we face Phoenix in the playoffs. And the Suns were heavy favorites--they were the 1st seed, Mavs the 4th and playing over their head to be there. That was the season, Nellie quit on the team about 1/3 in and officially about 2/3 in leaving Dallas with a rookie head coach who had no chance to install any of his own system. So we had Avery Johnson trying to coach Nellie's playbook--somewhat like playing with one hand tied behind your back.

And any Spurs fan who thinks the 2003 Spurs weren't prohibitive favorites against a Dallas team missing Dirk needs to have his head examined.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Good thing Dallas fans always have an excuse for losing. That never takes the fun out of anything.

DubMcDub
03-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Oh good grief. Fine, split hairs if you want. Choking, folding... what I'm getting at is the Mavs have a history of losing (although I seem to remember them choking pretty nicely at Kerr's hands in '03). That trend is pretty well established. Agreed?

A lot of the overconfidence from certain Mav fans in here is surprising and unfounded imo. But I guess that's why they call them fans.

How is it choking to lose to a heavily favored team with championship experience in a playoff series? The Spurs were simply better--that doesnt mean the Mavs choked.

The_Worlds_finest
03-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Spurs wont catch the Mavs but will have to settle with catching the ol suns. Either way after tonights game they will beat the Mavs 4-2

The_Worlds_finest
03-07-2007, 01:15 AM
"How is it choking to lose to a heavily favored team with championship experience in a playoff series? The Spurs were simply better--that doesnt mean the Mavs choked."

What championship experience did the Heat have? And also that team that beat your team in 2003 only had one guy from the 99 team...guess who?

DubMcDub
03-07-2007, 01:21 AM
"How is it choking to lose to a heavily favored team with championship experience in a playoff series? The Spurs were simply better--that doesnt mean the Mavs choked."

What championship experience did the Heat have? And also that team that beat your team in 2003 only had one guy from the 99 team...guess who?

David Robinson and TD count as one guy now? That's pretty sweet. Does Tim know that? :lol :lol :lol

It's pretty sad that I know your team's history better than you do.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 01:25 AM
David Robinson and TD count as one guy now? That's pretty sweet. Does Tim know that? :lol :lol :lol

It's pretty sad that I know your team's history better than you do.
Man, I watched him stick his chin out there, and I wondered if you were going to crack him. I must say that it's about time; this was not the first time he's dropped his left.

DubMcDub
03-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Man, I watched him stick his chin out there, and I wondered if you were going to crack him. I must say that it's about time; this was not the first time he's dropped his left.

Well fortunately I'm aware that most of the Spurs fans on this board arent ignorant of their team's legacy like this guy. But he definitely set himself up for that one...

bigfish22
03-07-2007, 03:45 AM

Who cares about the regular season. I've never seen anyone win a chammpionship in the regular season.

And on that note, I've never seen the Mavericks when a championship in any season. Sit on that for a minute yeah...