PDA

View Full Version : So, what if the Democrats get their way?

Yonivore
03-06-2007, 03:29 PM
If the Democrats are successful in forcing President Bush to surrender in Iraq, would Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki write a letter like this to Condoleeza Rice?

Dear Excellency and Friend:

I thank you very sincerely for your letter and for your offer to transport me towards freedom. I cannot, alas, leave in such a cowardly fashion. As for you, and in particular for your great country, I never believed for a moment that you would have this sentiment of abandoning a people which has chosen liberty. You have refused us your protection, and we can do nothing about it.

You leave, and my wish is that you and your country will find happiness under this sky. But, mark it well, that if I shall die here on the spot and in my country that I love, it is no matter, because we are all born and must die. I have only committed this mistake of believing in you [The Americans].

Please accept, Excellency and dear friend, my faithful and friendly sentiments.
So, does anyone recognize the letter?

Yep, that's the letter written by Cambodian Prime Minister Sirik Matak to Henry Kissinger after learning that the U.S. would be abandoning Indochina.

Immediately after the Khmer Rouge took Phnom Penh and Sirik Matak was shot in the stomach and left to die over the course of three days from his untreated wounds.

In the beginning, middle, and end of this shameful episode in our history, the barbaric nature of the Communist Khmer Rouge was painted over in soothing tones by much of the American press. The New York Times was the most flagrant offender. In one dispatch, its correspondent Sydney Schanberg described a ranking Khmer Rouge leader as a "French-educated intellectual" who wanted nothing more than "to fight against feudal privileges and social inequities." A bloodbath was unlikely, Schanberg reported: "since all are Cambodians, an accommodation will be found." As the last Americans were withdrawn, another upbeat article by Schanberg appeared under the headline, "Indochina Without Americans: For Most, a Better Life." In short order, the Khmer Rouge proceeded to march nearly two million of their fellow Cambodians to their deaths in the killing fields. Also in short order, Schanberg went on to greater glory and a Pulitzer prize.

Here's hoping history does not repeat itself.

Bob Lanier
03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm sure he could resume his previous private life in Iran without much difficulty. That is, if he doesn't follow in Mr. Kissinger's footsteps as an interloper who rakes in a ton of cash on the American lecture circuit.

And, just as a point of fact, the letter was written by Prince Sirik Matak and addressed to the U.S. ambassador to Cambodia, not to the U.S. National Security Advisor. One must, as you know well, be nuanced and precise in one's thought and language.

ChumpDumper
03-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Here's hoping you credit someone else's blog for once.

And it's the ruling Shia that would commit the genocide if we left, so Maliki would probably write us a thank you note for getting out of their way.

Yonivore
03-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Here's hoping you credit someone else's blog for once.

And it's the ruling Shia that would commit the genocide if we left, so Maliki would probably write us a thank you note for getting out of their way.
And, you're okay with that?

ChumpDumper
03-06-2007, 06:54 PM
As of now, we are only delaying it.

You've been okay with Darfur all this time, so it's too late to get on your high horse now.

JoeChalupa
03-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Yoni cracks me up. :lmao

exstatic
03-06-2007, 10:52 PM
If we leave, the Shia and the Mahdi Army will kick the living shit out of the Sunnis (who, it could be argued, have it coming) and their al Qaeda allies. Our youngsters don't have to die any more, and al Qaeda gets their asses kicked, mightily. Sign me up.

xrayzebra
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm sure he could resume his previous private life in Iran without much difficulty. That is, if he doesn't follow in Mr. Kissinger's footsteps as an interloper who rakes in a ton of cash on the American lecture circuit.

And, just as a point of fact, the letter was written by Prince Sirik Matak and addressed to the U.S. ambassador to Cambodia, not to the U.S. National Security Advisor. One must, as you know well, be nuanced and precise in one's thought and language.

Does it matter who wrote it and sent to whom? It is
true in its content and should have been addressed to
all who wanted our defeat in that region. The shame of
our defection of those people will always be on our
history. And now we have the same group wanting to
abandoned another nation and people to a
group just as ruthless. Once again bringing shame upon
our nation.

clambake
03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
You mean ruthless like a superpower invading a weakling based on lies?

Oh, Gee!!
03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Does it matter who wrote it and sent to whom? It is
true in its content and should have been addressed to
all who wanted our defeat in that region. The shame of
our defection of those people will always be on our
history. And now we have the same group wanting to
abandoned another nation and people to a
group just as ruthless. Once again bringing shame upon
our nation.

we had nothing to lose or win, xray.

xrayzebra