PDA

View Full Version : Trailblazers announcers...

SpursDynasty
03-07-2007, 12:36 AM
I kept reading tonight about the announcers for the Blazers..what was going on with them, what were they saying?

Jobbs
03-07-2007, 12:38 AM
I had their radio feed on with the tv on mute

The radio guys went from sounding like the Blazers were winning the title to someone running over their dog

Ninja-Defense
03-07-2007, 12:43 AM
I wonder what they said after Manu's ridiculous scoop shot!

Amuseddaysleeper
03-07-2007, 12:44 AM
I've seen a fair share of other commentators thanks to league pass

but NEVER have I heard commentators such horrible homers for the home team.

To the point where it felt like tllong and his twin were calling the game

just sickening how they never give the spurs credit and if it were up to them the blazers would only one foul the entire game

Amuseddaysleeper
03-07-2007, 12:44 AM

they said he pushed off

Ninja-Defense
03-07-2007, 12:45 AM
they said he pushed off

What??? :lol

ShoogarBear
03-07-2007, 12:46 AM
they said he pushed offI didn't hear them say that.

But they were bad all night long.

T Park
Eh, Ive heard worse homers than them.

Outside of Dave Barnett, their play by play guy is the best in the league IMO.

If hes objective, hes as good or better than Mike Tirico when he tries to announce a game.

Amuseddaysleeper
What??? :lol

they were so bad it was just stunning. I mean I expect some homerism for the home team but not to the point where you can't even talk ball and just dish out smack to the opposing team.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-07-2007, 12:47 AM

If hes objective, hes as good or better than Mike Tirico when he tries to announce a game.

wow there are worse out there? damn

RC's Boss
I heard them say Bruce was the "only' defender on the team while everyone else were good w/ help defense. Guess Tim sucks on d, though i can't see how he's all defensive team every year :rolleyes Then they kept whining about Pop talking to the refs and how he "intimidates" him :rolleyes Then when Aldridge slapped the shit out of Tim's forearm they claimed it was all ball. They were very fucking annoying. The FO should kidnap them ain't stitch their lips up!

Obstructed_View
Doesn't Eddie Johnson do that for the Suns, too? Wasn't he saying someone needed to lay Manu out or something?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Doesn't Eddie Johnson do that for the Suns, too? Wasn't he saying someone needed to lay Manu out or something?

oh yeah the suns have gay commentators too

dan majerle is a tool

VaSpursFan
03-07-2007, 12:49 AM

agree. man, they homerism to the next level. if you listened to them, the blazers didn't commit a foul the entire game and the spurs were whining to the refs the entire game for no reason.

first the blazers played extremely physical and we got no calls and our complaints were justified after barry took an elbow to the eye and timmy got kneed on purpose in the man region. any good coach will do whatever it takes to protect their players.

supaphly119
03-07-2007, 12:49 AM

when manu had that dunk in the 4th the portland guy said that every time he goes to the hole he should "end up on the floor"

Russ
03-07-2007, 12:50 AM
I've heard a lot worse. They gave the Spurs team credit when I was listening.

The Utah Jazz or Sacramento, well . . .

Ninja-Defense
03-07-2007, 12:51 AM
agree. man, they homerism to the next level. if you listened to them, the blazers didn't commit a foul the entire game and the spurs were whining to the refs the entire game for no reason.

first the blazers played extremely physical and we got no calls and our complaints were justified after barry took an elbow to the eye and timmy got kneed on purpose in the man region. any good coach will do whatever it takes to protect their players.

Yeah, it seemed like the Blazers were kind of chippy tonight!

Ninja-Defense
03-07-2007, 12:54 AM
when manu had that dunk in the 4th the portland guy said that every time he goes to the hole he should "end up on the floor"

Yeah, that's what we FANS say when we watch the games...Local or not, announcers should maintain some level of objectivity. Though our boy Sean can get a little animated too at times!

dg7md
03-07-2007, 12:55 AM
I saw nothing really wrong with their coverage, but come on, you know everyone thinks the same when they watch our feeds.

If anything most non-Spur commentators always praise us. I don't get what you guys think is so negative.

mikeanthony21
03-07-2007, 12:57 AM

"Holy Shit?" :downspin:

SenorSpur
03-07-2007, 01:03 AM
They made numerous comments about the fact that the Spurs "never commit fouls...at least in their minds". They went on to say the Spurs were the new kings of the league in "complaining to the officials". They cited one sequence during a timeout where the Pop basically didn't talk to the team - he worked the ref the entire time.

On the flip side, they were very complimentary about the Spurs being "the best defensive team in the league"; they referred to their "excellence at closing out on the opposition's 3-pt shooters" and their "sound, fundamental approach to the game". After Manu hit that scoop shot, they commented that "Manu would be one of the main reasons the Spurs would contend for a championship".

Yeah those announcers were Blazers homers, but they weren't that bad. Even when the Spurs took the lead, they commented "that's why this team is one to be reckoned with in June".

spurastic
03-07-2007, 01:07 AM
They were absolutely disgusting. I wanted to reach thru the tv and pull out their tongues and ..... (fill in the blank)... With the elbow to Barry face, and the knee to Duncan's groin, they said their players were just trying to get around them and other fouls were just flops by the spurs. Pop had control over the refs. The last few mintues did shut them up for a while and at that time the Spurs were a great team, etc. LOL

SenorSpur
03-07-2007, 01:08 AM
They were absolutely disgusting. I wanted to reach thru the tv and pull out their tongues and ..... (fill in the blank)... With the elbow to Barry face, and the knee to Duncan's groin, they said their players were just trying to get around them and other fouls were just flops by the spurs. Pop had control over the refs. The last few mintues did shut them up for a while and at that time the Spurs were a great team, etc. LOL

You're right. I forgot about that. They were disgusting fools! :)

Dave McNulla
03-07-2007, 01:10 AM
it's the same thing everywhere. the announcers spend the first ten minutes blowing enourmous amounts of sunshine up the spurs then spend the rest of the game complaining about everything from flopping to complaining to uncalled fouls to three second calls. it's completely unreal.

i mean, is anybody going to fire their hometown announcer if they don't call every foul against them as ticky-tack and every foul for them as a near flagrant? they should just call it like they see it.

Phenomanul
03-07-2007, 01:11 AM
The comment on "The Spurs should be crowned as kings of whining" was priceless...

Or the one where they suggested that everytime Manu went to the hole he should end up on his tail... that there was no reason why he shouldn't be getting fouled hard.

Then there's the one where the commentator yelled, "oh look... look at Duncan barking at the officials - HOW is that not a T?"

Then they kept referring to Finley as the 1996 Slam Dunk Champion when the true bearer of that title was getting stitched up somewhere in the visitor's locker room.

They annoyed me throughout the broadcast...

Pop OFits
03-07-2007, 01:21 AM
I don't know, I guess I'll take Spurs' announcer Bill Land yelling "OHHHHHHH, Mama!!!!" any day. It's always good for a guffaw or two.

SenorSpur
03-07-2007, 01:58 AM
The comment on "The Spurs should be crowned as kings of whining" was priceless...

Or the one where they suggested that everytime Manu went to the hole he should end up on his tail... that there was no reason why he shouldn't be getting fouled hard.

Then there's the one where the commentator yelled, "oh look... look at Duncan barking at the officials - HOW is that not a T?"

Then they kept referring to Finley as the 1996 Slam Dunk Champion when the true bearer of that title was getting stitched up somewhere in the visitor's locker room.

They annoyed me throughout the broadcast...

Yeah, I heard that too. I thought to myself, 'when the hell did Finley ever win a slam dunk title?'

Tigole Bitties
03-07-2007, 02:31 AM
I don't know, I guess I'll take Spurs' announcer Bill Land yelling "OHHHHHHH, Mama!!!!" any day. It's always good for a guffaw or two.

Speaking of Bill Land, where has he been lately? He had good chemistry with Sean Elliott.

SRJ
03-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Yeah, I heard that too. I thought to myself, 'when the hell did Finley ever win a slam dunk title?'

I remember thinking when I watched the 1996 dunk contest, "Barry was good, but Finley got robbed." Barry went long twice, but Finley had more difficult dunks IMO.

Dunk contest judging is screwed up way too often. Dwight Howard touches 12.5 feet while dunking, slaps up a sticker to prove it, and none of the judges cared. Wow.

GrandeDavid
03-07-2007, 06:37 AM
I didn't hear them say that.

But they were bad all night long.

That's probably why those knuckleheads with a talent void call Blazers games.

romsho
03-07-2007, 06:49 AM
As they went into halftime, the last comments were "Bruce Bowen is still complaining to the officials as they head to the locker room...of course he is, he is Spur." As road announcers go on NBA League Pass , these two buttjams were in a class by themselves. At least die-hard homers like Tommy Heinsohn are funny...

AFBlue
03-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Yes they were mistaken on little tidbits of information about the opposing team, but that happens all the time. The one thing that disturbed me was them basically stating that Pop was in the officials' ears almost the entire night and sort of implying that Pop was fixing the game. Overall though, it wasn't horrible.

Darkwaters
03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
There are ridiculous homers EVERYWHERE. Remember last years rookie of the year voting? Chris Paul would have gotten every single first place vote except some Utah homer said, "I think Deron Williams played better in their head-to-head matchups, so I voted for him". Deron Williams was an above average rookie last year (despite how elite he looks these days) and Chris Paul was already on that high level. Thats homerism.

As far as the broadcasters commenting that manu should hit the floor everytime he drives to the hoop...well, while that might be kind of ridiculous it's nothing compared to Isiah Thomas' "break his fucking foot off" comment about Bowen.

I actually remember on Jim Rome's show the following day he said something like this:

"Coaches always say things like that to motivate their guys. It's just what they do. Hustle! Box your man out! Rotate on defense! Close out on perimeter shooters! Make the extra pass! Break his fucking foot off! Get back on D!"

Of course, he was dripping with sarcasm the whole time.

kskonn
03-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Speaking of Bill Land, where has he been lately? He had good chemistry with Sean Elliott.

He was on TV with sean the last two games.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM
At least the young trailblazer team seem to have taken last night's loss in stride.

"They played like champions down the stretch,'' Roy said. "I'm going to learn from this game. They picked it up in the fourth quarter. Coach said that's what champions do.''

And Roy could win rookie of the year.

BigBinBigD
03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Pop DOES intimidate the refs like noone not named Mike or Dan or Tony.

And that no-call foul on Duncan was all ball, maybe some hand contact. No foul. Guess homerism extends to fan as well. I should know, I have to listen to Mav fans and watch Cuban every game. :lol

AFBlue
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Pop DOES intimidate the refs like noone not named Mike or Dan or Tony.

And that no-call foul on Duncan was all ball, maybe some hand contact. No foul. Guess homerism extends to fan as well. I should know, I have to listen to Mav fans and watch Cuban every game. :lol

Pop talks to the refs during timeouts, but it's not something exclusive to Pop or the Spurs. Players and coaches from other teams are constantly in the ears of the officials throughout the game, whether it be during timeouts or free throws, etc. All Pop does is explain his side of the issue.

If the officials are "intimidated" as you suggest, it's their own damn fault. They can give players/coaches technical fouls and even eject them if they're being too intrusive.

doldrums
03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Here's Barret's blog of the game
http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/ginobili-rescues-spurs-in-4th.html

they were pretty bad in homerism, constantly attacking Pop, Duncan, Finley and Manu

But at the same time gave the team and especially Manu a lot of accolades

doldrums
03-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Here's Barret's blog of the game
http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/ginobili-rescues-spurs-in-4th.html

they were pretty bad in homerism, constantly attacking Pop, Duncan, Finley and Manu

But at the same time gave the team and especially Manu a lot of accolades

FYI, Barrett is the Trailblazers tv voice

Please_dont_ban_me
03-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Sean Elliot's pretty good about not being a homer.

I remember the other night (Clippers?) he was fairly neutral. Agreeing with some of the travel calls against the Spurs. Also saying that the Spurs don't deserve too much credit, LA was still holding them to 75 points or whatever it was at the time.

doldrums
03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
The clippers announcers are some of the most objective in the game, and Mike Smith's favorite player to watch is Manu, so it always seems that he gets excited when Manu does well. The most homerish announcers are the Celtics, Suns and Blazers from my exp with NBA League Pass.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I thought the Clipper Announcers gave the Spurs a lot of credit, while still supporting their team.

And yeah that color commentator loves Manu's game. He was giving him Jordan comparisons on Monday.

I think the Laker announcers are a bit snotty.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-07-2007, 11:46 AM
The other day I heard somebody on a Sports talk show describe Manu as "on certain nights the best player in the NBA". :D That's some high praise.

George Gervin's Afro
03-07-2007, 11:56 AM

To the point where it felt like tllong and his twin were calling the game

just sickening how they never give the spurs credit and if it were up to them the blazers would only one foul the entire game

have you heard the mavs announcers? :worthy:

George Gervin's Afro
03-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Sean Elliot's pretty good about not being a homer.

I remember the other night (Clippers?) he was fairly neutral. Agreeing with some of the travel calls against the Spurs. Also saying that the Spurs don't deserve too much credit, LA was still holding them to 75 points or whatever it was at the time.

I have to disagree..Sean is HUGE homer..

tlongII
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
You guys are talking about Mike Rice for the most part. He's the color analyst and is definitely a HUGE HOMER! LOL! He's pretty funny though.

traitoravery
03-07-2007, 12:02 PM
OMG Sean is the Worst.....Here is one of the Blazer Announcers. (http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/ginobili-rescues-spurs-in-4th.html) besides his idiotic comment about Manu constantly whining its not a bad writeup...

phyzik
03-07-2007, 12:06 PM
I'd put money down that Sean is a top 3 homer announcer in the league. Thats why he is so funny! :lol

Pop OFits
03-07-2007, 12:09 PM
How ironic is this "whiner" talk. The Blazers fans have booed every foul or violation called against their team since the days of Porter, Drex, Kersey, Buck and Duck...and that was even back in the days when Adelman had his team fouling early and often so the officials might get used to the physicality. Their basic rule back then was, if all 5 players foul at the same time, the worst that can happen is only 1 foul is called.

ShoogarBear
03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Sean is definitely a homer. The difference he is usually gives the other team props, too.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
They made numerous comments about the fact that the Spurs "never commit fouls...at least in their minds". They went on to say the Spurs were the new kings of the league in "complaining to the officials". They cited one sequence during a timeout where the Pop basically didn't talk to the team - he worked the ref the entire time.

On the flip side, they were very complimentary about the Spurs being "the best defensive team in the league"; they referred to their "excellence at closing out on the opposition's 3-pt shooters" and their "sound, fundamental approach to the game". After Manu hit that scoop shot, they commented that "Manu would be one of the main reasons the Spurs would contend for a championship".

Yeah those announcers were Blazers homers, but they weren't that bad. Even when the Spurs took the lead, they commented "that's why this team is one to be reckoned with in June".

I agree. Yes, they have a bias toward their team... but that's okay. They're not news journalist. They're calling a game for Trailblazer fans... it's perfectly okay for them to be slanted. And as previously mentioned, they did give the Spurs their props. Also, yes, Sean Elliot doesn't always sound overly objective.

I've heard worse.

The last Spurs vs. Celtics game I watched on League Pass... the Boston commentators did nothing but rave about the Spurs all night. Frankly, if I were a Celtics fan, I would have been pissed.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-07-2007, 03:31 PM
How ironic is this "whiner" talk. The Blazers fans have booed every foul or violation called against their team since the days of Porter, Drex, Kersey, Buck and Duck...and that was even back in the days when Adelman had his team fouling early and often so the officials might get used to the physicality. Their basic rule back then was, if all 5 players foul at the same time, the worst that can happen is only 1 foul is called.

One of the guys made mention of that. He talked about how, not too long ago, the Blazers were the kings at whining to officials. But he now feels that the Spurs have claimed that throne.

Truthfully, the Spurs do whine a lot to officials. However, you rarely hear them whine about the officials. There's a big difference.

As you don't get T'd up for it, whining to officials is a harmless way to blow off some steam. It's the whining about them that gets on my nerves. Do you remember Jeff Van Gundy after last year's playoff elimination. My god! You would have thought the Rocket's players had no influence on the outcome of that series. It was all the officials. George Karl is a big time whiner too.

But you'll hardly ever hear a Spurs' coach or player complain about the officiating after the fact. So in that regard, they are not whiners at all.

Beaverfuzz
03-07-2007, 03:59 PM

You're joking about Tirico right? Mike Rice takes awhile to get used to, but he's pretty knowledgable with a little wit. Remember Javie kicked him out of a game vs the Bullets in the 90's for protesting a call.