PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Parker makes a point

Kori Ellis
11-17-2004, 02:58 AM
Parker makes a point
Web Posted: 11/17/2004 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111704.1C.BKNspurs.knicks.gamer.642a6184.html

Mired in a two-week slump that prompted his coach to tell him to stop pressing, Tony Parker decided the best way to cure his poor shooting was to not shoot.

So on Tuesday night, he instead relied on his quickness. He collapsed the defense and found his teammates. When he was done, he had 18 points and a season-best nine assists as well as a 99-81 victory over the New York Knicks.

"If Tony continues to play that way, where, defensively, he has a mindset going into the game, and offensively, he distributes the ball," Brent Barry said, "we're going to be tough to slow down."

The Spurs rolled over the Knicks in the second half to claim their fourth-consecutive victory. They won, again, with defense (New York shot 36.1 percent in the final two quarters) and ball movement (25 assists). And, surprisingly enough, quality free-throw shooting.

After shooting a combined 69.8 percent from the foul line in their first six games, they made 29 of their 33 free throws Tuesday.

"We're just going to assume we did some amazing coaching this last game and try to figure that out," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "What that was, I have no idea. But hopefully we can figure it out."

Parker, who made 10 of 12 free throws, led the Spurs' parade to the foul line. He repeatedly slipped inside New York's defense, which created scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates or, as was often the case, forced the Knicks to foul.

That Parker's performance came against Stephon Marbury, his longtime nemesis, was not lost on Popovich or his teammates.

"I thought he was fantastic," Popovich said. "He was trying to do everything I've asked him to do — and that's probably give up a little bit of scoring to get the whole team involved and make everybody better.

"As a point guard, he has the ability to do that. It just hasn't been his priority as he's come through the ranks. But he found a lot of people tonight. He probably could have 15 (assists) if guys would have caught and shot."

The Spurs missed 15 of 21 3-pointers, rushing at times when a little patience would have netted a better shot. Though Popovich called his players' offensive performance "mediocre at best," their unselfishness pulled them through: Fifteen of the Spurs' first 18 baskets came with an assist.

Five players scored in double-figures, including Tim Duncan, who contributed 17 points, 10 rebounds and four assists.

"We've done a good job of moving the ball, finding the open man, penetrating, kicking," Popovich said. "It's an unselfish group and they're getting better and better."

Barry has had something to do with that. When the Spurs signed him in July, presumably because of his shooting, Popovich reminded everyone he also knew how to pass. On Tuesday, Barry helped break open the game in the fourth quarter, first finding Beno Udrih in the open court, then Manu Ginobili.

Considering the success he had enjoyed in the past against Parker, Marbury showed unusual restraint in the first half. He didn't attempt his first shot until 5:21 remained in the second quarter.

Marbury went into halftime with as many fouls (three) as points, but he served as an effective distributor.

"It was just the flow of the game," Parker said. "He didn't attack as much, but he'll be back the next game. I know that."

Parker thinks his own shot will return as well.

"My shot is off, obviously," Parker said. "I know it. Tonight I just tried to find other ways to score. I can't rely on my outside shot, so Pop told me to do something else.

"My shot will come back. I'm not worried. I'm still going to adapt and get the job done."