PDA

View Full Version : Pop has breakthru!

Fabbs
03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Johny Luddens post Portland article:

While Parker said he didn't aggravate the injury, Popovich thought he should have held him out until Thursday's game in Sacramento.

"I made a mistake in playing Tony," Popovich said. "That was a bad coaching decision on my part.

"I thought in the first half he looked like he was playing not to get hurt."
:clap "Every great journery begins with one step."
Could further revelations be coming Pops way, paving the way for coaching strategies worthy of a title chance in 2007?

Could Pop also be given the revelation that perhaps Fabs Oberto is not of NBA All Star caliber Center position this year and thus adjust his role and where applicable minutes?

Could Frankie Elsons minutes in a TallBall role be continued?

Could his "relationship" with Michael Finley actually begin to take less priority then a run for the title?

Could Stand n Veg offense be taken out of the playoff playbook?

Could Beno Undies end up playing a key backup role in the playoffs, leading Pop to say "My strategy of constantly criticizing Beno while i constantly snuggled Findawg by candlelight was a mistake. Beno played very well in our 2007 Championship."

Agloco
03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Johny Luddens post Portland article:

While Parker said he didn't aggravate the injury, Popovich thought he should have held him out until Thursday's game in Sacramento.

"I made a mistake in playing Tony," Popovich said. "That was a bad coaching decision on my part.

"I thought in the first half he looked like he was playing not to get hurt."
:clap "Every great journery begins with one step."
Could further revelations be coming Pops way, paving the way for coaching strategies worthy of a title chance in 2007?

Could Pop also be given the revelation that perhaps Fabs Oberto is not of NBA All Star caliber Center position this year and thus adjust his role and where applicable minutes?

Could his "relationship" with Michael Finley actually begin to take less priority then a run for the title?

Could Beno Undies end up playing a key backup role in the playoffs, leading Pop to say "My strategy of constantly criticizing Beno while i constantly snuggled Findawg by candlelight was a mistake. Beno played very well in our 2007 Championship."

WTF........

Whats with the Pop trashing? 3 titles aint enough?

Fact is, hes still got the mojo to get the Spurs to play their best ball starting in March. We contend every year, plain and simple.

Pop runs the team like a Chemistry lab the first few months to shake out things that don't work. Why do you think the team always seems to peak later on?

If Ludden aint happy with the results, lobby to get Don Nelson. He's had plenty of post season success as a coach.

Kori Ellis
03-07-2007, 10:07 AM

You realize that the Spurs played small ball last night, right? :lol There is no stand and veg offense. Even on four down, the other players are supposed to cut and move.

Fabbs
03-07-2007, 10:07 AM
WTF........Whats with the Pop trashing? 3 titles aint enough?
3-11 with the rosters he has had.
No it's not that good.
The bar is set high in the Duncan era. Window time is now.

Fabbs
03-07-2007, 10:13 AM
You realize that the Spurs played small ball last night, right? :lol There is no stand and veg offense. Even on four down, the other players are supposed to cut and move.
Yes, and in that brilliant smallball arrangement...You realize they trailed Portland by as many as 12 and with two minutes to go by 7?
Players are supposed to cut and move. When they don't, no objections from Pop. I can show you play after play where all 4 are standing around. :wakeup Tell you what, next time i tape a game lets compare exact sets. I'm guessing you and Tim don't save game tape forever so lets try to do it withing 1-2-3 days of the game. Good?

Kori Ellis
03-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, and in that brilliant smallball arrangement...You realize they trailed Portland by as many as 12 and with two minutes to go by 7?
Players are supposed to cut and move. When they don't, no objections from Pop. I can show you play after play where all 4 are standing around. :wakeup Tell you what, next time i tape a game lets compare exact sets. I'm guessing you and Tim don't save game tape forever so lets try to do it withing 1-2-3 days of the game. Good?

Oh, I know sometimes they don't move. I just don't know why you think that's on Pop or why he doesn't have objections. I always see him talking to and yelling at people when they don't cut or go to the right spots.

Fabbs
03-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Oh, I know sometimes they don't move. I just don't know why you think that's on Pop or why he doesn't have objections. I always see him talking to and yelling at people when they don't cut or go to the right spots.
I've seen him yell the minority of times. Seen him sit and condone majority of times. Other teams have become so hip to it that backdoor stealing Tim or tapping it away has become a staple. Lets break tape.

Besides that Poppy needs to learn to make in game playoff adjustments.
Stevie Kerr was not going to go in vs Mavs in the Kerr Bailout of 2003 Champ.
Steve Smith was Pops "Finley" that year (ask Tim) and Claxton got hurt. Only reason SuperKerr got in and saved the day vs Mavs.
Vs Nets i think Steven Jackson opening up was an act of his own. Pop was in danger of having us blow it to the Nets. :oops
Putting Tony back in vs Kings with 20 pt lead and series clinched. :wtf
Artest commits domestic violence on him and grrreat, hes then 70% for the Mavs series. Kori Ellis herself telling how Tony could not walk between Mavs series games.
Last years lets not even rehash. He was owned by Avery.

BeerIsGood!
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I've seen him yell the minority of times. Seen him sit and condone majority of times. Other teams have become so hip to it that backdoor stealing Tim or tapping it away has become a staple. Lets break tape.

Besides that Poppy needs to learn to make in game playoff adjustments.
Stevie Kerr was not going to go in vs Mavs in the Kerr Bailout of 2003 Champ.
Steve Smith was Pops "Finley" that year (ask Tim) and Claxton got hurt. Only reason SuperKerr got in and saved the day vs Mavs.
Vs Nets i think Steven Jackson opening up was an act of his own. Pop was in danger of having us blow it to the Nets. :oops
Putting Tony back in vs Kings with 20 pt lead and series clinched. :wtf
Artest commits domestic violence on him and grrreat, hes then 70% for the Mavs series. Kori Ellis herself telling how Tony could not walk between Mavs series games.
Last years lets not even rehash. He was owned by Avery.

Wow. Let me hope I never coach a team that you ever have any influence on :lol

Pop makes mistakes, sure. But wake up buddy - this is the real world. Everybody makes mistakes here and there. Overall, Pop leads an efficient team and has done a pretty good job to get this collection of players to play as well as they have to this point in the season.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Benching the center and watching an inferior team score at will against the Spurs just makes some people crazy.

Fabbs
03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Wow. Let me hope I never coach a team that you ever have any influence on :lol

Pop makes mistakes, sure. But wake up buddy - this is the real world. Everybody makes mistakes here and there. Overall, Pop leads an efficient team and has done a pretty good job to get this collection of players to play as well as they have to this point in the season.
Naw, you're basically just lowering the bar.

Phil Jackson also make mistakes here and there, yet they owned Pop in 2004 and 2006. Okay so they barely won in 0.4 fashion. Why was it ever that close. Some think Phil Jackson-Winter would have coached the 2000+ Spurs to 5 of 6 and three straight titles. It's all what-if conjecture.
I will Prop Pop 100% for the Spurs D of past years, esp 2005 TallBall D.

BeerIsGood!
03-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Naw, you're basically just lowering the bar.

Phil Jackson also make mistakes here and there, yet they owned Pop in 2004 and 2006. Okay so they barely won in 0.4 fashion. Why was it ever that close. Some think Phil Jackson-Winter would have coached the 2000+ Spurs to 5 of 6 and three straight titles. It's all what-if conjecture.
I will Prop Pop 100% for the Spurs D of past years, esp 2005 TallBall D.

There's no lowering of any bar. If you would have switched Pop and Jackson on the Lakers and Spurs from 2000 to 2003 the results would have been the same. The Lakers were the better team at that time and the Spurs were great on the block but lacking any playmaking from the perimeter.

Pop OFits
03-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Stand and veg offense accounted for 34 fourth quarter points, and while an All-Star PG sat and vegged. NEXT.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Stand and veg offense accounted for 34 fourth quarter points, and while an All-Star PG sat and vegged. NEXT.
Almost half of those in a row from the three point line with two minutes to go. What a sublime coaching strategy. :rolleyes

Agloco
03-07-2007, 11:57 AM
No it's not that good.

WTF are you talking about?!?!?

The team has won 3 titles with Duncan in the mix. Its a 30% hit rate.

I'm not really sure what you're expecting, but it's unreasonable IMO.

Name me one other coach besides Phil Jackson who has a higher hit percentage than that........

ambchang
03-07-2007, 12:37 PM
So if the Spurs won, it's because of the players, but if the Spurs lost, it's because of Pop, I like your logic.

Fabbs
03-07-2007, 02:10 PM
So if the Spurs won, it's because of the players, but if the Spurs lost, it's because of Pop, I like your logic.
:worthy: 2005 Pops coaching job.
The bar should be kept there, not lowered.

Agloco
The team has won 3 titles with Duncan in the mix. Its a 30% hit rate.
Red Auerbach won 90% with Bill Russle and co.
Pat Riley won 50% with Magic and the refs.

Agloco
03-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Agloco

Welcome to a time where talent is more evenly distributed throughout the league: today

Congrats to Red and Pat, they coached two of the most talented teams in the history of the league. Not hard to win championships when half your roster is hall of fame material each year...... I'm hard pressed to make the same argument about the Spurs. It's all about the system.

But I suppose 1 in 3 isn't good enough for ya. Head out West then. The Lakers could use another supporter......

Supergirl
03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Man, some people are so spoiled. Since the era of Jordan - which was over 9 years ago! - only 4 teams have won an NBA title. The Lakers won 3 of them. The Spurs won 3 of them. The Heat and the Pistons won 1 each. This year...we don't know yet, but the Spurs are right there in the mix to win their fourth.

Pop and Duncan are the only components to all 3 of the Spurs' NBA titles. Neither one is a coincidence.

Fabbs
03-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Welcome to a time where talent is more evenly distributed throughout the league: today

Congrats to Red and Pat, they coached two of the most talented teams in the history of the league. Not hard to win championships when half your roster is hall of fame material each year...... I'm hard pressed to make the same argument about the Spurs. It's all about the system.

But I suppose 1 in 3 isn't good enough for ya. Head out West then. The Lakers could use another supporter......
Drob, Tim Dunkan, Bob Horry, Tony Parker (will be), Manu GNob, Steve Kerr.
Thanks for supporting my view.
You tell me which team can match our current Big 3 and then head out West and I'll buy you a Spurs Burger.

ambchang
03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Drob, Tim Dunkan, Bob Horry, Tony Parker (will be), Manu GNob, Steve Kerr.
Thanks for supporting my view.
You tell me which team can match our current Big 3 and then head out West and I'll buy you a Spurs Burger.
Horry? Kerr? Are you crazy? I can lay a bet with you, NEITHER will be in the HoF.
Parker may be, but then again, look at the 2003 Parker, he's not even close to an All-Star guard. Manu may get it (I think he would) because of his international play, not his NBA play.
Man, you are delusional.

ambchang
03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
:worthy: 2005 Pops coaching job.
The bar should be kept there, not lowered.

Agloco

Wow! Four teams (count the Bulls and Minni Lakers) did it in 60 years, with only one team since 1989 (massive expansion), must be the easiest thing to do! I mean, afterall, only 3 franchises won more than 3 rings, right?
Of course, we all know that the Celtics have HoF coming off the bench like the Russell Celtics, and the Lakers have the greatest ever scorer on their roster for half of his prime (Jabbar), the #1 point guard ever (Magic), a HoF SF(Worthy), and an All-Star level shooting guard (Scott), as well as one of the best perimeter defender in the history of the league (Cooper) during most of that run.
See, what does the Spurs have.
In 99, there was Duncan and Robinson, as well as Avery Johnson at point, Sean Elliott with a kidney condition at SF, and Jaren Jackson at SG.
03, there was Duncan, Robinson on his last legs, Parker as a 2nd year player who was prone to mistakes and error, Ginobili as a rookie off the bench, and oh yeah, a HoF level Steve Kerr playing 14 minutes and averaging 4 points a game.
05, there was Duncan, All-Star Ginobili, near-all star Parker, defensive ace Bowen … and oh, wait, they won the title.
Between 00 and 02, Lakers dominated with Shaq and Kobe, 04 the Spurs lost to Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton, 06 was the only year that could be remotely classified as a disappointment.

ggoose25
03-07-2007, 06:05 PM
when yahoo sports said at the beginning of the 3rd quarter

10:59 Michael Finley enters the game for Francisco Elson

I just about headbutted my laptop :madrun

Agloco
03-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Drob, Tim Dunkan, Bob Horry, Tony Parker (will be), Manu GNob, Steve Kerr.Thanks for supporting my view.

The list you provided above proves that someone needs to take your crack pipe away....... four of the six have no buisness being on that list.

As for matching up with our BIG 3:

Phoenix - Nash, Stoudemire, Matrix
Dallas- Dirk, Howard, Jet
Detroit- Billups, Rip, Prince

and stretching a bit but:

Houston- Lazy Eye, Yao, Skip-to-my-lou
Denver- Iverson, Carmelo, Camby
Miami- D-Wade, Diesel, J-Will

Now I'm not going to argue which trio is the best. Its all about teamwork obviously. The Spurs are more dependent on their role players than most teams are. We don't have a player that leads any statistical categories.

We have a team of unassuming roleplayers, not a bunch of hall of famers. thats the entire point. Pop has done well with what he has.

T Park
03-07-2007, 06:25 PM
when yahoo sports said at the beginning of the 3rd quarter

10:59 Michael Finley enters the game for Francisco Elson

I just about headbutted my laptop

Yeah Elson would've nailed that three near the end of the darn game like Finley did.

Fabbs
03-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Horry? Kerr? Are you crazy? I can lay a bet with you, NEITHER will be in the HoF.
Parker may be, but then again, look at the 2003 Parker, he's not even close to an All-Star guard. Manu may get it (I think he would) because of his international play, not his NBA play.
Man, you are delusional.
Yes I am delusional thinking Bob Horry might contribute to some bigtime playoff wins. I'll take that bet, even if he does not get in.
Ditto Kerr. All time 3 pt% leader.

Fabbs
03-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Grasshoppers,
Rewatch Game 6 2003 vs Dallas to atain Kerrs worth.

ggoose25
03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah Elson would've nailed that three near the end of the darn game like Finley did.

maybe if elson had stayed in, finley wouldnt have had to nail the three at the end. dick.

ambchang
03-08-2007, 12:13 PM
The bet is on, what do you want to bet? and what is the time frame? 1st ballot? 10 years after he retires? Oh, right, you can never say that he can't get in the Hall because the process can go on forever without any sort of timeframe.
BTW, where is finals MVP Cedric Maxwell in the HoF? I believe he contributed to some bigtime playoff wins as well.
And since when have the HoF admitted players based on one game?
I am sure Gar Heard should be in the Hall too! LOL

Fabbs
03-08-2007, 01:16 PM
The bet is on, what do you want to bet? and what is the time frame? 1st ballot? 10 years after he retires? Oh, right, you can never say that he can't get in the Hall because the process can go on forever without any sort of timeframe.
1K. Yep, 10 years. I can't be made to trust ballot sportswriters.
And as far as your "one game" babble, check Bob Horrys history before coming in with your "one game" weakness.

As for you Big 3 squakers, I'll take Tim GNob Healthy Tony over any other 3.

Last year Tony was at 60-70 and they still almost punked the big 3 from Dallas. Year before they beat Phx and Detroit.

T Park
03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
maybe if elson had stayed in, finley wouldnt have had to nail the three at the end. dick.

:lol

sensitive are we?

Elson wasn't doing squat in the time given, so why stay with him.

cause he "might" bother a shot?

Come on....

Extra Stout
03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
No it's not that good.
Comically unreasonable forum.

T Park
03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
comically retarded forum is more like it.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2007, 06:07 PM
T Park doesn't know anything about defense unless it's to point out when Beno doesn't play it.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Grasshoppers,
Rewatch Game 6 2003 vs Dallas to atain Kerrs worth.
Kerr was as valuable to the team in 2003 as Mario Elie was in 1999. Kerr filled in at point when Speedy was injured for 50 games and was great on both ends in game 6 against Dallas. His best play in that game was on the defensive end.

That said, he isn't going to the HOF. No way.

ambchang
03-08-2007, 06:24 PM
1K. Yep, 10 years. I can't be made to trust ballot sportswriters.
And as far as your "one game" babble, check Bob Horrys history before coming in with your "one game" weakness.

As for you Big 3 squakers, I'll take Tim GNob Healthy Tony over any other 3.

Last year Tony was at 60-70 and they still almost punked the big 3 from Dallas. Year before they beat Phx and Detroit.
I can't believe I will be 1K richer in 10 years, alright! I will tell my wife and kids in case I die a premature death, it's free money!
And no, the one game argument is on Steve Kerr. Robert Horry is averages 7.2 ppg and 4.9 rpg for his career, no damn way any player ever makes the HoF on a few shots. No way.