PDA

View Full Version : Mavs = Greatest 56 Game Stretch In US Pro Sports History

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 09:10 AM
for a single season run (not stretched over 2 seasons)...

No other team has won 51 of 56 games at any point in a season, whether in the NBA, MLB, or NHL...

Of course it means nothing, but it's still pretty damn cool... :fro

RonMexico
03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
gay.

Celtics 8 straight championships... that's a streak.

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks for sharing...

George Gervin's Afro
03-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes leonard it is very impressive.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Damn, that's impressive, but that kind of stat can be a double edged sword. If they win it all that's the kind of thing that can be used to argue that this team is among the all time greats. And if they don't win it all that's a shadow that's going to be held over this team's head for a long time by their critics. Lots of good storylines developing for the postseason, at in the West.

mavsfan1000
03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Oh yeah. The mavs are the 2006-07 Regular Season Champions. Maybe the greatest regular season team of all-time.

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Damn, that's impressive, but that kind of stat can be a double edged sword. If they win it all that's the kind of thing that can be used to argue that this team is among the all time greats. And if they don't win it all that's a shadow that's going to be held over this team's head for a long time by their critics. Lots of good storylines developing for the postseason, at in the West.

Definitely...if the Mavs f up this year...damn...it'll be rough for the players and fans...

leemajors
03-07-2007, 10:15 AM
can we get a new topic with every mavs win? leonard, you have rudely interrupted amarelooms - shame on you!

BigBinBigD
03-07-2007, 10:23 AM
All this BS talk is gonna make it hurt that much worse IF the Mavs don't win the whole damn thing.

Just take these wins and enjoy them for what they are. Practice for the playoffs. No need to come to another teams board and throw it in their faces. Just pepetuates the animosity.

On the other hand, fuck the Spurs, they suck. :spin

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
This is the NBA forum...the Mavs are in the NBA, right? :dizzy

Agloco
03-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Soooooooooooo......

If it means nothing, why did you bring it up?

Unless, of course, it really does mean something; in which case your posting is justified............

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Soooooooooooo......

Unless, of course, it really does mean something; in which case your posting is justified............

It means nothing because it's a regular season accomplishment...

I brought it up because it's an impressive run for regular season play...

If the Spurs had done it, it CERTAINLY would've been posted here...

just like it was on ESPN.com... (ie, I didn't come up with this myself)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2790217

pussyface
03-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Soooooooooooo......

i wouldnt say it means nothing.
its not an nba championship, but it does show you something when a team acheives that kind of greatness over a long stretch covering a majority of the whole season.

ask the raptors/nets/magic/cavs/anyone else if they would consider winning 51/56 meaningless.

Ozzman
03-07-2007, 12:41 PM
The Mavs have done superbly in the Regular season so far this year. Right now, I'd say that only San Antonio and Phoenix can even barely compete with them. But the Mavs have off-nights like other teams so they can be beaten.
That is a pretty big accomplishment, though.

ShoogarBear
03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
If you want to crown them, go ahead and crown their asses.

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 01:08 PM
If you want to crown them, go ahead and crown their asses.

Try reading the thread BEFORE you post, genius...

Wow...

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Try reading the thread BEFORE you post, genius...

Wow...

Are you retarded or something?

ponky
03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
we need to tighten up the D a bit...other than that, the Mavs haven't fallen off at all with only 22 games left, there will be no *peaking* too soon for this mavs team...last night's quote by JET after the nets games went something like "we don't want to be with avery for four days without this (nets) win"

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Why do you ask kind sir?

ShoogarBear
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Are you retarded or something?I think he and pussyface are having some kind of private competition.

ponky
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM

(hint: what leonard said right above you, try it) :rolleyes

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 01:14 PM
I think he and pussyface are having some kind of private competition.

Okkkkkkkaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy

BUMP
03-07-2007, 01:17 PM
we're not asking you guys to "give us the title already"

we're just asking for some respect. even though it doesnt win you a title 51 in 56 games is pretty damm impressive. im glad some Spursfans recognize that its a tough feat to accomplish

Findog
03-07-2007, 01:19 PM

This is dead on. Nothing short of a title will validate Dallas' season. Just ask Detroit what running roughshod over everybody in the regular season means come June.

timvp
03-07-2007, 01:23 PM
The Mavericks are who I thought they were.

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 01:23 PM

I'd really like to know what I said that makes you think I'm retarded...

ShoogarBear
03-07-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry if it appears I'm making light of this. It's a huge accomplishment.

So who're the record holders at #57, 58, and 59?

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry if it appears I making light of this. It's a huge accomplishment.

So who're the record holders at #57, 58, and 59?

You are making light of it...

Rip on ESPN for reporting it...

ponky
03-07-2007, 01:38 PM
f*ck it

timvp
03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Seriously though, this 56 game streak is pretty impressive. Who had the 2nd best 56 game streak?

Seriously.

stretch
03-07-2007, 01:43 PM
:lol

texas84
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Seriously though, this 56 game streak is pretty impressive. Who had the 2nd best 56 game streak?

Seriously.

Probably the Bulls of 95-96. I know we were tied with them at best 55 game stretch at 50-5.

ShoogarBear
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
f*ck itThis what you're looking for, sweety?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61490

ponky
03-07-2007, 01:50 PM
spurs fans acting like they don't celebrate regular season streaks, yeah right

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61490
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61481

ponky
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
This what you're looking for, sweety?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61490

lol, yeah thanks, three hours of sleep is not cutting it today!
:lol

while you're at it post that other one about "well, that's 10"

ShoogarBear
03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
You're right. That ten-year road record winning streak is bullshit. Ten years of winning road records, and what do the Spurs have to show for it? :pctoss

ponky
03-07-2007, 01:54 PM
You're right. That ten-year road record winning streak is bullshit. Ten years of winning road records, and what do the Spurs have to show for it? :pctoss

giddiness as best expressed in a thiry page jizzfest regarding a road trip win over a sub 0.500 team?

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
spurs fans acting like they don't celebrate regular season streaks, yeah right

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61490
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61481

They're NEVER do that...but they'll rip on Mavs fans for discussing something that IS impressive for the regular season...

ShoogarBear
03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
We Spur fans have to latch on to every glimmer of hope we can find.

ponky
03-07-2007, 01:59 PM
We Spur fans have to latch on to every glimmer of hope we can find.

i hear ya, i'm just gearing up for some playoff animosity towards the spurs, i'm feeling it a lot more now that y'all are *back*...i'll continue later though, the xbox beckons :lol :lol :lol

timvp
03-07-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/dimaggio/images/tmline.gif

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?
Your 56 is about to be passed by the white and blue
(Woo woo woo)
What’s that you say, Dallas Maverick Fan
When are going to hold the regular season parade?
(Hey hey hey – hey hey hey)

Bruno
03-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm more impressed by the 256 games winning streak realized by a Czech republic women BB team in their domestic league few weeks ago.

ShoogarBear
03-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Here endeth the thread.

RonMexico
03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
"Mavs unimpressive 16 game winning streak" by Mike Fisher

Shank
03-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I won the Super Bowl 4 years in a row in Madden and never lost a game.

pussyface
03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
"Mavs unimpressive 16 game winning streak" by Mike Fisher

in some ways i would agree with this.
...its not the last 16 games that have been so impressive in Mavsland. to the extent that such a thing is possible, this has not been a terribly impressive 16 consecutive wins.
it really is just icing on the cake.

for us, a 16 game (and counting) winning streak is just part of a larger body of work (51 out of 56), not the be-all end-all apex of our season (ala yr faggy Suns.)

the 51-56 is what is impressive really, any asshole can run off 16.

Agloco
03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
giddiness as best expressed in a thiry page jizzfest regarding a road trip win over a sub 0.500 team?

Sure, why not?

Problem is....... Houston isn't sub .500.........

Agloco
03-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Denny, can I get a skillet combo please?

RonMexico
03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
45 out of 51 (with Nash) is pretty impressive in it's own right. Thus far, Mavs haven't played a game without Dirk, who is is the Mavs' MVP (except for part of that game against Seattle)... problem is - the Suns and Mavs were neck-and-neck until Nash went out and now they've kept up the 51-56 pace while Suns fell behind.

However, they've won without Marion, which is kind of like winning without Howard.

mabber
03-07-2007, 03:28 PM
45 out of 51 (with Nash) is pretty impressive in it's own right. Thus far, Mavs haven't played a game without Dirk, who is is the Mavs' MVP (except for part of that game against Seattle)... problem is - the Suns and Mavs were neck-and-neck until Nash went out and now they've kept up the 51-56 pace while Suns fell behind.

However, they've won without Marion, which is kind of like winning without Howard.

Next Wednesday should be a good game. It looks like both teams should be relatively healthy.

Shank
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Ticket prices are already getting out of control for that game. Craziness for a regular season matchup.

ponky
03-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Sure, why not?

Problem is....... Houston isn't sub .500.........

dude, you're totally right, i forgot, the rockets HAVE beaten the spurs twice this season so i guess this puts them right at 0.500 with regards to that matchup

dougp
03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh yeah. The mavs are the 2006-07 Regular Season Champions. Maybe the greatest regular season team of all-time.

As much as I dislike Michael Jordan, please do not insult the Bulls like that ... this Dallas team could not compete in those days, and Jordan's Bulls would make you guys cry.

Agloco
03-07-2007, 05:56 PM
dude, you're totally right, i forgot, the rockets HAVE beaten the spurs twice this season so i guess this puts them right at 0.500 with regards to that matchup

Thats cute........

Of course I was talking about their overall record.

Agloco
03-07-2007, 06:00 PM

No maybe about it. Congrats.

Perhaps the NBA will start handing out "regular season champions" banners just to commemorate this grand event........

More accolades to send to the rafters in AAC, they are a bit bare after all.

Nashfan
03-07-2007, 06:21 PM

No other team has won 51 of 56 games at any point in a season, whether in the NBA, MLB, or NHL...

Do some of you Mav fans have to brag about everything?? :dramaquee It would be nice to have one day go by without a Mav fan bragging about their team. Yes, your team has accomplished a lot this year but it is still the regular season. Wait until the playoffs before you begin the bragging.

monosylab1k
03-07-2007, 06:23 PM
More accolades to send to the rafters in AAC, they are a bit bare after all.

Hey, the Stars have all kinds of banners! :bking

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Do some of you Mav fans have to brag about everything?? :dramaquee It would be nice to have one day go by without a Mav fan bragging about their team. Yes, your team has accomplished a lot this year but it is still the regular season. Wait until the playoffs before you begin the bragging.

Rip ESPN, not me...

and if the Suns had done, it would've been posted here by a Suns fan...

and I think I was pretty clear when I said that it doesn't mean jack $hit in the grand scheme of things, wasn't I??? :donkey

Nashfan
03-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Rip ESPN, not me...

and if the Suns had done, it would've been posted here by a Suns fan...

and I think I was pretty clear when I said that it doesn't mean jack $hit in the grand scheme of things, wasn't I??? :donkey

I don't see a Suns thread for every game we play etc., etc. :donkey That is basically what I am talking about. It gets old after awhile. Especially that Mav fan that starts most of the game day threads with the dancing pink elephants. In fact when the Suns did so well in the 2005 season, did a Suns fan post about every accomplishment the teams had for that year? This year we have had some records that are impressive but I don't see a thread devoted to these records. Correct me if there have been Suns fans starting threads bragging about records set this year for their team.

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't see a Suns thread for every game we play etc., etc. :donkey That is basically what I am talking about. It gets old after awhile. Especially that Mav fan that starts most of the game day threads with the dancing pink elephants. In fact when the Suns did so well in the 2005 season, did a Suns fan post about every accomplishment the teams had for that year? This year we have had some records that are impressive but I don't see a thread devoted to these records. Correct me if there have been Suns fans starting threads bragging about records set this year for their team.

Sounds to me like Suns fans are slacking then...I don't see what's wrong with Mavs fans posting a game blog here...

and did it occur to you that maybe Mavs fans here (specifically "Dirk Nowitski") just like driving Spurs and Suns fans crazy by postng Mavs $hit here? I think that has something to do with it... ;)

Agloco
03-07-2007, 07:05 PM

I liken this to the 1,000,000th point scored on a Thursday stat...........

56? what an odd number eh?

Nashfan
03-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Sounds to me like Suns fans are slacking then...I don't see what's wrong with Mavs fans posting a game blog here...

and did it occur to you that maybe Mavs fans here (specifically "Dirk Nowitski") just like driving Spurs and Suns fans crazy by postng Mavs $hit here? I think that has something to do with it... ;)

No, I don't think Suns fans are slacking, I just think they don't have to brag about everything concerning the Suns. :lol

He doesn't drive you crazy?

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 07:24 PM
I'd really like to know what I said that makes you think I'm retarded...
Because you didn't get the Denny Green joke. TimVP tried to give you a hint that you missed as well. That's all.

bdubya
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM

BFD. Now, if you held teams under 70 eleven times in a season, or 5 times in a row, or only gave up 100 pts. four times, that'd be something for the record books.... :spin :spin :spin

Capt Bringdown
03-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Dallas is on pace to have an astonishing regular season record. This is a significant accomplishment in that most teams that post these kinds of records usually go on to win an NBA title, correct?

I've always thought the regular season to be pretty important. Championship teams can establish patterns and create a kind of "muscle memory" when it comes to handling pressure situations.

ponky
03-08-2007, 01:12 AM

when you barely eke out a win against the bobcats in overtime it's probably best not to brag about it

Fillmoe
03-08-2007, 01:29 AM
OMG they won 51 out of 56..... we should all bow down to them..... holla at me when they accomplish something real..... like winning a championship.... like not choking to a team..... like actually having fans that are old enough to drive......

THE SIXTH MAN
03-08-2007, 01:36 AM
:lol Now there's something to hang your hat on.

ponky
03-08-2007, 01:43 AM
OMG they won 51 out of 56..... we should all bow down to them..... holla at me when they accomplish something real..... like winning a championship.... like not choking to a team..... like actually having fans that are old enough to drive......

why holla when you always come running to mavs related threads anyway?...seriously, why don't you cheer for your team to get their sorry azzes into the playoffs by beating the spurs tomorrow? fillmoe can't resist mavs threads :lol :lol :lol

Fillmoe
03-08-2007, 01:58 AM
because i rather cheer for them to get greg oden you little slut

ponky
03-08-2007, 02:10 AM
because i rather cheer for them to get greg oden you little slut

:lmao that is not going to happen :lmao

Fillmoe
03-08-2007, 02:27 AM
*gets mad and leaves thread angrier than a 4 year old in a grocery store

Fernando TD21
03-08-2007, 02:58 AM
I think this is an impressive stretch, but it makes the mavs look better than they actually are.

ro_50
03-08-2007, 03:08 AM

The Mavs are the best team in the league right now and yes, it will take a great effort by the Spurs or Suns to beat them in the playoffs if those teams meet, but to claim them to be the greatest regular season of all-time, PLEASE.

The Bulls of 95-96 and hell, even the other Bulls' team that won the rings would defeat this team.

LEONARD
03-08-2007, 09:13 AM
No, I don't think Suns fans are slacking, I just think they don't have to brag about everything concerning the Suns. :lol

He doesn't drive you crazy?

Yes, he is annoying even to me...

Impressive OT win over the B-cats last night... :fro

*sigh*

Because you didn't get the Denny Green joke. TimVP tried to give you a hint that you missed as well. That's all.

Um, actually...I got the Denny Green joke...he said that after the Cards blew a game to the Bears last season. But what he said still doesn't fit with what I posted. I clearly stated that the streak means nothing...

RonMexico
03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, Suns fans are stuck in limbo like the team - not close enough to the Mavs, but just far away enough from the Spurs...

mardigan
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
The Mavs are the best team in the league right now and yes, it will take a great effort by the Spurs or Suns to beat them in the playoffs if those teams meet, but to claim them to be the greatest regular season of all-time, PLEASE.

The Bulls of 95-96 and hell, even the other Bulls' team that won the rings would defeat this team.

And the next season they won 69 games, out of control

ShoogarBear
05-04-2007, 05:02 PM
:)

LEONARD
05-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Ohhhhhh...good one...

slayermin
05-04-2007, 05:10 PM
:lmao

LEONARD
05-04-2007, 05:11 PM
It's still a fact and they still had a great regular season...they just ran into a buzzsaw while playing like shit to boot...

confined
05-04-2007, 05:13 PM
to tell you the truth im not that disapointed in this loss...i mean it sucks big time but it leaves us a huge window to make changes to this team...i didnt really belive this team had the peices to make it happen anyway...i honestly belive last year's team was better

LEONARD
05-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I'd be fine with the same group next season honestly...

IceColdBrewski
05-04-2007, 05:19 PM
I'd be fine with the same group next season honestly...

So would Golden State.

LEONARD
05-04-2007, 05:22 PM
So would Golden State.

I'm sure they would...no guarantee that the Mavs would play them...

timvp
05-04-2007, 05:23 PM
It's still a fact and they still had a great regular season

:lol @ regular season smack

2centsworth
05-04-2007, 06:27 PM
They are the defending WC champions and don't you forget it!:lol

RonMexico
05-04-2007, 07:23 PM
gay.

Celtics 8 straight championships... that's a streak.

I said it then and I'll say it now... lamest streak ever.

Dex
05-04-2007, 07:25 PM
8th seed.

Findog
05-04-2007, 07:28 PM
:lol @ regular season smack

Agreed. When something like this happens, you lick your wounds, you dust yourself off, you get back up, and you don't feel sorry for yourself. That's basketball, and that's life.

ChumpDumper
05-04-2007, 07:34 PM
It's still a fact and they still had a great regular season.Why do mavfans insist on living in the past?

BUMP
05-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Why do mavfans insist on living in the past?
then why did Spur fan bump it up?

ChumpDumper
05-04-2007, 07:38 PM
To gloat.

Next quesiton.

BUMP
05-04-2007, 07:39 PM
To gloat.

Next quesiton.

over what?

they havent done anything yet

ChumpDumper
05-04-2007, 07:44 PM
The mavs certainly did lose.

Maybe you didn't notice that.

baseline bum
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
111-86

lefty
05-04-2007, 08:06 PM
This is the NBA forum...the Mavs are in the NBA, right? :dizzy

Wrong. WNBA

IceColdBrewski
05-04-2007, 08:11 PM
over what?

Your misery

92 Oilers head coach
05-04-2007, 08:13 PM
i know Mav fans its tought to shake it off btu dont worry, in fifteen years somebody else will choke to a greater proportion and let you off the hook like you just did to me :elephant :spin

slayermin
05-04-2007, 08:52 PM
:lmao

zrinkill
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM

Wow ....you called it

SpursDynasty
05-09-2007, 08:06 PM

They had an easy schedule during those 56. Besides, a better 7 game stretch at the start of the playoffs would've worked more.

infinite styles
05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Devin Harris' personal assistant just posted this today:

2nite Devin Harris of the Dallas Mavs Presents "Wet Wednsday
Devin Harris of the Dallas Mavericks Presents "Wet Wednsdays" at club 8lounge on lower greenville... No cover charge and drink specials all night!!!! Must be 21& up to enter.... Come out each and every Wednsday 2 celebrate the merger between Devin Harris and Club 8lounge!!!

You'll probably see a lot of the Mavs there talking about the great regular season they had. All in Dallas should join.

LEONARD
05-10-2007, 08:17 AM
They had an easy schedule during those 56. Besides, a better 7 game stretch at the start of the playoffs would've worked more.

LMAO...damn those easy 56 game stretches :lol

Fuckin genius...

nkdlunch
05-10-2007, 09:01 AM
LMAO at mavfans still defending their regular season record :lol