PDA

View Full Version : Mavs make history---again

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
The Mavs' 51-5 streak is the best streak in the 4 major sports, in history.

Two things that I lament:

1. We let Josh Howard go to Mavs in draft the pick before us, when I was begging the Spurs to pick him from Wake Forrest. I knew he would be a great replacement for Elliott because of his killer instinct and his relentless defense. I am a Maryland fan, so I watched him play in college for his career and I knew he was Spurs' material. Josh is the MVP of the Mavs this year, he is the engine that drives that team's success, especially on defense.

2. Pop let AJ leave the Spurs' organization. AJ should be Pop's head assistant and heir apparent. Anyone that watched the Spurs in the 90s knew AJ was a born coach and he would get the best out of any player in his charge. The worst thing....the Mavs would not be ahead of the Spurs in title contention this year, had AJ never been allowed to go to the Mavs.

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 10:45 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1495824

Josh is the MVP of the Mavs this year, he is the engine that drives that team's success, especially on defense.

:smokin :drunk :hat :dizzy

Sooooooooo...when a game is close in the 4th and they give it to Dirk and he puts the game away time and time again, that doesn't make him the MVP?

JHo got crazy game, but he's still Dirk sidekick...or co-sidekick with JET...

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
AJ wasn't going to stay once Pop gave Parker his job, was he? It's easy to second guess it now, but the Spurs DID get an all-star point guard out of the deal.

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1495824

I put this on Spurs forum because of my slant about the two things that happened that directly led to this streak, that the Spurs had control over, but did not act.

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
AJ wasn't going to stay once Pop gave Parker his job, was he? It's easy to second guess it now, but the Spurs DID get an all-star point guard out of the deal.

Not talking about letting him play in Dallas, I am talking about once AJ retired playing, Pop should have called AJ back home to coach. AJ would have come in a heartbeat.

Spurminator
03-07-2007, 10:50 AM
AJ was a player/coach for the Mavs. He would have had to quit in order to come to the Spurs.

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 10:53 AM
AJ was a player/coach for the Mavs. He would have had to quit in order to come to the Spurs.

Not the next year, he was coaching only, not playing at all...he was retired.

Pop fucked up...admit it.

baseline bum
I love AJ, but there's no way he was sticking with this team. His act was pretty weak when he was disrespecting TP, and there always looked like there was some tension between the team and him after he beat Malik's ass in the locker-room in Cleveland after one brutal loss back in 2000.

Obstructed_View
Not talking about letting him play in Dallas, I am talking about once AJ retired playing, Pop should have called AJ back home to coach. AJ would have come in a heartbeat.
AJ was made a player-coach by Nellie with the intention that AJ would become his successor. It was too late by that time unless Pop was going to make him the same deal, which you and I both know wasn't going to happen.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 10:55 AM

He was signed as a player/coach and retired not long after as a player. The point is that the deal was already done.

Kori Ellis
03-07-2007, 10:55 AM

Umm... didn't AJ come to Pop's house and talk about coming to San Antonio as an assistant a few years back. And then AJ and Pop mutually decided the opportunity to be an assistant (player/coach) in Dallas would be better for him because he'd have a chance to move up to the head coach spot soon.

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Umm... didn't AJ come to Pop's house and talk about coming to San Antonio as an assistant a few years back. And then AJ and Pop mutually decided the opportunity to be an assistant (player/coach) in Dallas would be better for him because he'd have a chance to move up to the head coach spot soon.

I never heard anything about this.

Spurminator
03-07-2007, 10:57 AM

:rolleyes

Say you're Avery Johnson. You have the opportunity to go to a team and work under the coach with the safest job in the NBA and no intention of retiring anytime soon... Or you can go to a team that is offering you a fast track to a head coaching position.

Which do you choose?

Kori Ellis
03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
I never heard anything about this.

I'm sure it was in the forum because it was in Express-News.

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
AJ was made a player-coach by Nellie with the intention that AJ would become his successor. It was too late by that time unless Pop was going to make him the same deal, which you and I both know wasn't going to happen.

This was never discussed. Nellie was totally unaware of his future health issues. It was just serendipity for AJ that Nellie had to take time off because of his health.

Re-Animator
03-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the Info Jim, I knew you was a closet Mavs fan all along :smokin

ducks
03-07-2007, 11:01 AM
regular season means jack shit
were not the pistons on pace to win 70 games to

I will laugh harder at the mavs when the choke in the playoffs like usually

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 11:01 AM
:rolleyes

Say you're Avery Johnson. You have the opportunity to go to a team and work under the coach with the safest job in the NBA and no intention of retiring anytime soon... Or you can go to a team that is offering you a fast track to a head coaching position.

Which do you choose?

As I just said, AJ had no idea that he would be a head coach in 1 1/2 years. He thought that he would assist for 3-4 years, them get his chance, as every head coach does. But Nellie had health issues and AJ got the opportunity.

What are you people arguing about? This is just me lamenting about what did not happen, that is all.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 11:02 AM
This was never discussed. Nellie was totally unaware of his future health issues. It was just serendipity for AJ that Nellie had to take time off because of his health.
You just couldn't be more wrong about this. AJ was specifically hired to be groomed as the future head coach. It's the reason AJ took the job and it's the reason he retired as a player like a month later. This is the way it was.

ducks
03-07-2007, 11:04 AM
who cares about the mavs
the spurs need to worry about themselves and their winning streak

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 11:05 AM

blah blah blah Detroit blah blah Detroit....same old ignorant argument......Detroit is in the East, my grandmother's team could be on pace to win 70 games in the East.

We are talking about the West here.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 11:06 AM
But Nellie had health issues and AJ got the opportunity.
Just coincidence that his health issues flared up just after the Mavs lost six out of ten games.

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
You just couldn't be more wrong about this. AJ was specifically hired to be groomed as the future head coach. It's the reason AJ took the job and it's the reason he retired as a player like a month later. This is the way it was.

Groomed means 4-5 years...not 1 1/2 years

Show me a link where AJ said he was going to be the next head coach of Dallas when he was hired as the Mavs assistant...this is total BS on your part.

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Just coincidence that his health issues flared up just after the Mavs lost six out of ten games.

He had surgery..yeah is was all fake.

ducks
03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
blah blah blah Detroit blah blah Detroit....same old ignorant argument......Detroit is in the East, my grandmother's team could be on pace to win 70 games in the East.

we will see when cuban screams on national tv
stern the refs got it wrong!

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 11:08 AM

Game 7 @ SA last year ring a bell? There was definitely some choking in that game though... :lol

Exactly...

nkdlunch
03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
good for the Mavs.

But can you imagine the amount of pressure they will be under in the playoffs. I mean, if they lose 2 games during a series, and they will feel the pressure even more. And then.... they will undoubtedly choke :D

MajorMike
03-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Game 7 @ SA last year ring a bell? There was definitely some choking in that game though... :lol

Geez, Leo... are we going to have to put you on.... TIME OUT?

dirk4mvp.

I can see why Jim50 likes Tpark so much they both share the same posting style.

monosylab1k
But Nellie had health issues and AJ got the opportunity.

Nellie's "health issues" were his problems with his short game at Dallas National. He needed to head back to Maui to work on it, along with breaking in his new driver.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Not choking. Mental Error (euphemism)

Besides. I think the Spurs being down 3-1 against Dirk's/Avery's mavs then pushing it to a game 7. is still something to be proud of. That's NOT CHOKING.

Besides. Manu's foul masks a big fuck up on the team's part. DON'T PUT YOURSELF IN A 20 POINT DEFICIT AT THE START OF YOUR GAME 7 AT HOME!

That's effort. Being up 2-0 with homecourt advantage and losing four straight.... hmmmm...

mardigan
03-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Mavs are a great team, congrats Mav fans. Just hope that your team doesnt get to worn out by playoff time

baseline bum
03-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Yeah, choking a 20 point lead and then having your season saved by one dumbass lucky foul.

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Timeout for what, CaptWorldofWarcraft???

Not choking. Mental Error (euphemism)

Besides. I think the Spurs being down 3-1 against Dirk's/Avery's mavs then pushing it to a game 7. is still something to be proud of. That's NOT CHOKING.

Besides. Manu's foul masks a big fuck up on the team's part. DON'T PUT YOURSELF IN A 20 POINT DEFICIT AT THE START OF YOUR GAME 7 AT HOME!

That's effort. Being up 2-0 with homecourt advantage and losing four straight.... hmmmm...

So getting down 20 in a game 7 on your home court isn't choking? Or getting smoked in OT on your homecourt isn't choking???

and yes, the Mavs CHOKED. I've said it many times here...that is a fact...

Whottt.
03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Jimcs50 at work thinking of ways to push our buttons

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/00-BigSnack.jpg

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah, choking a 20 point lead and then having your season saved by one dumbass lucky foul.

Ok, so Manu choked then?? :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Game 7 @ SA last year ring a bell? There was definitely some choking in that game thoughI don't mean to beat a dead horse, but being up 2-0 before being swept in the finals is my definition of choke. Being down 3-1 and losing in Game 7 during OT is far from choking in my eyes. I doubt mavs could overcome that deficit.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but being up 2-0 before being swept in the finals is my definition of choke. Being down 3-1 and losing in Game 7 during OT is far from choking in my eyes. I doubt mavs could overcome that deficit.I see ManuTim_best of Fwiendz (member.php?u=3952) has already gone over this. oops.

LEONARD
I doubt mavs could overcome that deficit.

You're entitled to your opinion...

Bruno
Great, this crybaby thread will turn into the classic Spurs/mavs bashing. :rolleyes

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Great, this crybaby thread will turn into the classic Spurs/mavs bashing. :rolleyes

:spin :elephant

"JHo got crazy game...he'll play D or make it rain"

http://www.bobanddan.com/contact/june7/mffl-lazer.mp3

:fro

bigfan
03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree, good for the Mavs, they have sucked for so long its nice to see them doing well. AJ got the head coaching job because Nelson basically crapped out mid-season and gave him the car keys. AJ was in the right place at the right time, in any other situation/team, he would have had to interview and outshine other head coach prospects, an unlikely outcome I believe. He has done a hellofa job in Dallas and they went from being a lazy team to being an intense team. Thats why I like it when Pop gets all red in the face and benches the stars at times, it brings out that intensity that sometimes is lacking, esp. on an older team like the Spurs. The one exception is Gino, I dont believe there has been a guy like him in the NBA before, really. Anyway, we have great coaches and a great team, Im looking forward to the playoffs when we will see who really is the best this year.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I thought we Spurs fans were giving props to the Mavs with this "regular season record" of sorts. But they'll never stop bringing up game 7.

Kori Ellis
03-07-2007, 11:30 AM

Yeah seriously. Please get back on the subject of the thread. Spurs fans and Mavs fans alike can take their "Dallas Choked - Three Rings, Baby!" "Spares are old and feeble. Mavs rule, dude." arguments to the NBA forum or the Troll forum.

boutons_
03-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Mavs Adoration Forum

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah seriously. Please get back on the subject of the thread. Spurs fans and Mavs fans alike can take their "Dallas Choked - Three Rings, Baby!" "Spares are old and feeble. Mavs rule, dude." arguments to the NBA forum or the Troll forum.

but he...

started it mom!!! :cry

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Jimcs50 at work thinking of ways to push our buttons

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/00-BigSnack.jpg

So easy too.

:lol

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Groomed means 4-5 years...not 1 1/2 years.
:lol Now where in the hell is THAT written?

Show me a link where AJ said he was going to be the next head coach of Dallas when he was hired as the Mavs assistant...this is total BS on your part.Um okay. I'm not going to pay for access to news archives to prove you wrong when you are being so obtuse you'll deny it anyway, so this will have to do. If you don't believe Kori I'm not sure how you'd believe me, anyway.

http://www.nba.com/games/20050319/CHADAL/recap.html

Wiki:
After spending the 2003-2004 season playing with the Golden State Warriors, Johnson signed as a player-coach with the Dallas Mavericks under Don Nelson. Johnson had played under Nelson from 2001-2003, and it was understood from the beginning that Johnson was being groomed to eventually succeed Nelson as head coach.

SI:
He left Dallas amid health concerns and a general weariness with the league's grind. Avery Johnson, his groomed successor, became the league's coach of the year while leading the Mavs to their first NBA finals last season.

ESPN:
With Avery Johnson ready to succeed him faster than anticipated, Nelson relinquished his coaching duties with the Dallas Mavericks in March 2005 after a series of health issues beset him and his relationship with Mavs owner Mark Cuban deteriorated.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 12:09 PM
So easy too.

Yeah, posting revisionist crap just sets people off, and it's all according to your plan. :rolleyes

SequSpur
03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm pissed we got 3 championships when we should've had Howard. :rolleyes

WGAF..

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, posting revisionist crap just sets people off, and it's all according to your plan. :rolleyes

hey dickweed, whottt knows me, you don't.

There is a reason for all my adoring Dallas threads...so just fuckoff.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
hey dickweed, whottt knows me, you don't.

There is a reason for all my adoring Dallas threads...so just fuckoff.
If you'd just admitted it was a stupid thread and let it go, maybe you wouldn't have gotten your wittle feewings hurt, cupcake.

Jimcs50
03-07-2007, 02:03 PM
If you'd just admitted it was a stupid thread and let it go, maybe you wouldn't have gotten your wittle feewings hurt, cupcake.

It is not a stupid thread. I really do regret the 2 inactions, that led to Dallas' rise in the ranks on contenders. They no longer are all offense, no defense run and shoot, and that was always made them nothing more than playoff foder for the Spurs.

yes?

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
It is not a stupid thread. I really do regret the 2 inactions, that led to Dallas' rise in the ranks on contenders. They no longer are all offense, no defense run and shoot, and that was always made them nothing more than playoff foder for the Spurs.

yes?

YES :fro

judaspriestess
03-07-2007, 02:37 PM
they make history ok??? and what??? do they have a championship yet?

coulda shoulda woulda, its water under the bridge. We have done fine without Avery Johnson and Josh Howard.

T Park
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM

more mindless drivel from the jimcs camp.

DubMcDub
03-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Exactly...

Not to mention Avery Johnson is a slightly better coach than Flip fuckin Saunders. But whatever, Mavs are clearly headed down the same path as Detroit. :lol

Oh, and to the guy who said that Howard is the Mavs MVP...you are nuts. Dirk is probably the MVP of the entire league. He is most certainly, without reservation or question, the Mavs MVP.

dbreiden83080
03-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Yeah right were you saying that when the Pistons handed the Spurs their asses in 2 meetings last year. They were playing like gangbusters for most of the year and then flamed out big time in the playoffs.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-07-2007, 05:08 PM
You're entitled to your opinion...

I've been here for what... 3 years now, and you have more posts that I do?

Isn't there a mavericks fan forum you can go to? I guess I never understood the appeal of going to another team's message board in an attempt to inflame other fans... I mean seriously.... don't you have a life outside of the Mavericks? And what's more, Its not like you're even talking mavericks basketball, every post i have ever read from you has been smack talk.

Just a question, are you unemployed?

LilMissSPURfect
03-07-2007, 05:10 PM
they're just trying to get some of that thunder back......

RobinsontoDuncan
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Not to mention Avery Johnson is a slightly better coach than Flip fuckin Saunders. But whatever, Mavs are clearly headed down the same path as Detroit. :lol

Oh, and to the guy who said that Howard is the Mavs MVP...you are nuts. Dirk is probably the MVP of the entire league. He is most certainly, without reservation or question, the Mavs MVP.

Without Josh Howard this team would have 10 less wins and no shot at winning the title... have you forgotten that the Mavericks have had Dirk for quite a long time? And before you say they have not had mr. johnson for very long, I'll ask why that really matters considering Johnson never coached Dirk without Howard.

Budkin
03-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Jim has powers beyond comprehension on this forum that have real life ramifications. I've been reading this forum long enough to know that. Let him do his thing people! Trust me!

SpursDynasty
03-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Two things that I lament:

1. We let Josh Howard go to Mavs in draft the pick before us, when I was begging the Spurs to pick him from Wake Forrest. I knew he would be a great replacement for Elliott because of his killer instinct and his relentless defense. I am a Maryland fan, so I watched him play in college for his career and I knew he was Spurs' material. Josh is the MVP of the Mavs this year, he is the engine that drives that team's success, especially on defense.

2. Pop let AJ leave the Spurs' organization. AJ should be Pop's head assistant and heir apparent. Anyone that watched the Spurs in the 90s knew AJ was a born coach and he would get the best out of any player in his charge. The worst thing....the Mavs would not be ahead of the Spurs in title contention this year, had AJ never been allowed to go to the Mavs.

1. We might not have Howard, but Duncan-Parker-Ginobili > Dirk-Howard-Terry, without a doubt. It's our bench that needs to step up.
2. AJ left the Spurs while he was still playing and less productive.

Budkin
03-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Agreed. Dirk is the league MVP this year. No doubt. And props to the Mavs for their record, but it won't mean much without a championship to go with it. I can't wait for the playoffs.

DubMcDub
03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Without Josh Howard this team would have 10 less wins and no shot at winning the title... have you forgotten that the Mavericks have had Dirk for quite a long time? And before you say they have not had mr. johnson for very long, I'll ask why that really matters considering Johnson never coached Dirk without Howard.

Wow. Your logic is so ridiculous that I really can't even comment much on it. Are you aware of the notion that correlation does not imply causality?

And, for what it's worth, without Dirk this Mavs team would have 15-20 less wins and no shot at the title. But I'm really not expecting you to even comprehend that after reading what you just wrote.

ChumpDumper
03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
http://www.gamersinfo.net/out/avatar/10_plutonium.jpg

MavTalker
03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Thank you Jimcs50 for recognizing the 2007 NBA Champions!

pimp my sig
03-07-2007, 06:25 PM
they're just trying to get some of that thunder back......

LilMissSPURfect

your sig is ready :wakeup
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/spurs-glass-spin.gif

Obstructed_View
03-07-2007, 07:44 PM

yes?
As far as AJ, yes. I wish there had been a way for him to end up the coach of the Spurs and still have Tony Parker as the point guard he is today. The Dallas opportunity was too good to pass up. My facts are not incorrect, nor is your original post.

As far as Howard, hell yeah I'd like to have him on the Spurs, heck I'd settle for keeping Leandro Barbosa with the advantage of hindsight. However the pick they got in exchange turned into David Lee, who's averaging a double double now, and the Spurs ended up with a guy named Nazr who was pretty valuable in a championship run, and were able to free up Malik's salary. I like that the Spurs ended up with a championship, too.

dbreiden83080
03-07-2007, 11:30 PM

yes?

It was only a matter of time before Dallas kicked down that door and broke through. As much as we hate Cuban he is an owner very committed to winning. I am a Yankees fan as much as i hate the Red Sox i knew it was only a matter of time before they beat the Yanks and won the WS, because they like Dallas are very committed to winning.

Boulevard1
03-08-2007, 12:07 AM

Well you can throw out the NFL because 56 games span 3+ seasons and alot of player/personnel changes happen in that time but damn, that streak's impressive.

SpursDynasty
03-08-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm not impressed by the Mavs' 51-5 streak. The five losses = Detroit, Utah, LA Lakers, Washington, Chicago. Some of the better teams in the league there. That only means the Mavs can go 51-0 vs sub-par teams, and lose to teams that really count. Big deal. They've also had losses to Houston and SA. And how many back-to-backs has Dallas had tin 07, one or two?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-08-2007, 01:27 AM
The AJ crying is pointless.

The Spurs passing on Howard to pursue foreign projects/Kidd/Webber/the golden free agent was the big fuck up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-08-2007, 01:30 AM
1. We might not have Howard, but Duncan-Parker-Ginobili > Dirk-Howard-Terry, without a doubt. It's our bench that needs to step up.

Duncan-Parker-Ginobili is nice.

Duncan-Parker-Ginobili-Howard would be working on a four peat.

ponky
03-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Thank you Jimcs50 for recognizing the 2007 NBA Champions!

yo mavtalker, why so much crap in your sig? i had to wait forever for the page to load because of the pics from your photobucket account and i have a fast connection.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-08-2007, 01:54 AM
yo mavtalker, why so much crap in your sig? i had to wait forever for the page to load because of the pics from your photobucket account and i have a fast connection.
Yeah I get the same shit with that Maklarmm's sig also. I now have my sigs turned off.

=RTM=
03-08-2007, 02:38 AM

So after you waited all that time, this is all you have to add to the topic?

Let's face it, this is the year for the mighty mighty Dallas mavericks and it's good to see so many Spur fans unite and support us as they climb aboard the wining NBA championship wagon.

MavTalker
03-08-2007, 02:46 AM

Leave it to a Mav fan to be the first to bitch and whine in this topic.

island_dude
03-08-2007, 02:47 PM

BLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLA!
Same-o worn out crap!

dbestpro
03-08-2007, 03:36 PM

They also are tied for the record of worst championship game winning percentage. 0.00% with all the other great choke jobs.