PDA

View Full Version : Rose makes most of his minutes

Kori Ellis
11-17-2004, 03:01 AM
Rose makes most of his minutes
Web Posted: 11/17/2004 12:00 AM CST

Joe Alexander
MySanAntonio.com

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111704.C.BKNspurs.rose.64b39b79.html

Malik Rose has seen both his minutes and his scoring drop since having his best NBA season in 2002-03.

The Spurs forward had one of his busiest nights of this season Tuesday, turning in an energetic 21-minute performance to help spark the Spurs in a 99-81 victory over the New York Knicks at the SBC Center.

Rose didn't take many shots, hitting two of three from the field and three of four free throws. But Rose helped the Spurs take their first lead of the game in the second quarter after they trailed by as many as seven points in the first quarter.

Rose recorded five points, a rebound and an assist in the first four minutes of the second quarter. He hit three of four free throws during the stretch and scored a basket off a pass from Manu Ginobili. Rose also set up a basket for Rasho Nesterovic, who finished with 10 points.

Rose also had a steal, an assist and a rebound and hit a jump shot in a four-minute stretch late in the third quarter when the Spurs extended their lead to 10 points for the first time in the game.

Rose averaged 10.4 points and 6.4 rebounds during the 2002-03 season. He averaged 3.9 points and 4.5 rebounds for this season entering Tuesday's game. Against the Knicks, he finished with seven points — his second-highest scoring night of the season — and five rebounds.

Rose, Brent Barry and Beno Udrih combined to score 28 points off the bench. Barry hit three of five from three-point range and scored 12 points. Udrih matched his season high with nine points.

"We try to come in and give the team what it needs — if we need energy, we need hustle, we need baskets," Rose said. "Brent came in and hit some baskets."

Tim Duncan, who averaged 23.2 points and 14.8 rebounds in the Spurs' first six games, had a relatively quiet 17 points and 10 rebounds. Ginobili, who scored at least 21 points in four of the Spurs' first five games, had nine points against the Knicks.

Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury, who averages 22.0 points and 8.6 assists, had 13 points and seven assists.

"Stephon (Marbury) didn't feel it tonight," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Tim (Duncan) didn't score a lot either. Those guys can't do it every night.

"Luckily, we had other guys step up scoring tonight."

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 09:51 AM
I saw Malik Rose hit a jumpshot last night.

The next thing you know, Marcus will post something critical or at least interesting about the Spurs.

Good for Malik.

The MSG Network's trivia question last night was "Who are the only two remianing SPurs from the 1999 championship team?"

:lol

Rummpd
11-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Props to Rose - if Spurs to win ring this year he has to be in top 8 rotation along with Barry and perhaps Brown - I for one am sick of Pop's love for Robert Horry.

MadDoc

Useruser666
11-17-2004, 11:08 AM
When Malik stays in his game he is effective. When he tries driving, dribbling, fade away jumpers, pump fake to jumpers, reverse layups, behind the back passes, post entry passes, going for wild steals, or guarding PGs it usually ends in disaster. That and Pop does his hands in pockets chicken walk up and down the sidelines. He mostly did what he was supposed to last night. That is what the Spurs need from him.

Mr. Body
11-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Rummpd: Horry is a highly effective player who knows the game well and does what his coaches ask. His days as a 3-pt shooter may be over, but he'll do the dirty. I like having him on the bench, though I like Pop going for Malik over him. With our bench lacking meat, they both are necessary.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2004, 11:46 AM
I was actually expecting a bigger game from Malik last night. The Knicks are much more a match with him than Rasho.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 11:49 AM
This is simply awesome. :)

coachtf
11-17-2004, 11:56 AM
The Spurs will not win the title unless Malik is playing and GETTING solid minutes. He looks to be in much better condition this year but still seems to lack that explosiveness he has always played with in the past.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 11:59 AM
I think any timidity in Rose's game comes from all the BS nitpicking he was subjected to last year when the Spurs were trying to come up for a cover story for why they were too cheap to make sure Duncan had a quality supporting cast.

coachtf
11-17-2004, 12:02 PM
You might be right MB?

I just think that Malik is a huge part of this squad's future and they can be even tougher if he can get that edge back.

Solid D
11-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Malik got lots of PT last night because Muhammed and Sweetney and Thomas were bangin' in the paint. The Spurs needed someone with toughness and girth in there after what the Knicks did to them through much of the 1st quarter.

The Knicks really played Tim strong and pushed him out. Malik was just what the Spurs needed to mix it up down low. Rasho was able to roam more for help and shotblocking.

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Last season, I think Malik succumbed to the pressure of an inflated contract for a veteran of his caliber.

Now he seems to be back to doing what got him the deal in the first place.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Ghost replies with his usual drivel.

GoSpurs21
11-17-2004, 01:13 PM
I saw Malik Rose hit a jumpshot last night.

The next thing you know, Marcus will post something critical or at least interesting about the Spurs.

Good for Malik.

The MSG Network's trivia question last night was "Who are the only two remianing SPurs from the 1999 championship team?"

Tim and Malik are the only 2 remaining Spurs from 99 team

Anyone else think Pop was trying to showcase Malik to NY for a trade?
While he played well on offense, he made a lot of mistakes on defense. Mistakes that usually get him replaced in a game. I saw a couple of times when he lost the man he was guarding or rotated late.

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Why would the Knicks trade for Rose with that contract when they have Jerome Williams, who is another Rose-like 'tweener?

Ghost replies with his usual drivel. - Marcus

And Marcus's whole post here focuses on me, whom he has claimed to have blocked from reading. What a f@g.

Solid D
11-17-2004, 01:22 PM
The Knicks are only committed to $103M this season and $108M next season. What's a few more million and why be concerned about things like tweeners?

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Damn, if only the Spurs' were in the great shape that Ghost's Knickerbockers are, then maybe they would finally win a championship.

Ooops.

T Park
11-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Last season, I think Malik succumbed to the pressure of an inflated contract for a veteran of his caliber.

Now he seems to be back to doing what got him the deal in the first place.

Ghost is 100% right.

and as usual marcus sticks to his stupid XFiles horseshit.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Yeah Stay Puff, I suppose I imagined Peter Holt content to lose Parker over $ a few weeks back.

But I did forget something. This is going to be particularly sweet. On to the ignore list you go Stay Puff. Damn, this forum's quality just improved fivefold.

-MB

ChumpDumper
11-17-2004, 02:04 PM
:lmao

Ghost compliments Rose and MB declares it drivel.

This and the fact he's replying to every one of these posts he isn't reading show the ignore gimmick isn't really working well. Watch his repsonse to this one.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 02:07 PM
ChumpHumper posts and all I see is:

ChumpDumper
This message is hidden because ChumpDumper is on your ignore list.

She might as well be back at some other place where she belongs.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Dance, puppet, dance!

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Awww, don't be mad Chumper. I'm sure someone else will play along with you as you argue an asinine point forever and ever and ever and ever. Whatever eases the pain, I suppose.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2004, 02:14 PM
http://www.peopleplayuk.org.uk/images/objects/cropped2/300/sch200303211278-007.jpg

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Sorry trick, apparently you can't read:

ChumpDumper

Stick to being obsessed with me. It's your strong suit.

L8rs.

-MB

ChumpDumper
11-17-2004, 02:18 PM
http://www.crystalinks.com/pinocchio.jpg

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 02:22 PM
ChumpDumper

It's not my fault you made a list that otherwise consists of:

Nbadan
Ghost Writer
T Park

That's some exclusive company. :lol Good work.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2004, 02:28 PM
I thought he said L8ters.

This guy sure responds a lot when he claims to ignore someone.

No matter, time to put the puppet away for now. I guess Ghost can pick up the strings and have MB "ignore" him for another couple of hours.

http://www.peopleplayuk.org.uk/images/objects/cropped2/300/sch200303311238-001.jpg

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 02:30 PM
What? Did someone post something?

Remove user from ignore listChumpDumper

Guess not.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Man this is fun. The blowhard know it all bitch ChumpHumper is gone from this forum.

ChumpDumper

Before I forget Mary, be sure to google "a clue." Then perhaps you'll have one.

T Park
11-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Cryant has officially "lost it"

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Remove user from ignore listT Park
This message is hidden because T Park is on your ignore list.

What's that Stay Puff? If I knock down the milk bottles with the softball I win that 3 foot tall stuffed bear that you've been pumping full of your special sauce through that tiny hole in its rear every night? Awesome. How much? A buck? Wow.

Sorry, but I don't want to take away your "fiance" from you...

T Park
11-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Kori, isnt this bordering on childish, to stupid???

Karl Mundt
11-17-2004, 04:05 PM
I think any timidity in Rose's game comes from all the BS nitpicking he was subjected to last year when the Spurs were trying to come up for a cover story for why they were too cheap to make sure Duncan had a quality supporting cast.
:lol

Anyway back to earth, Malik seems to be playing well lately. I haven't seen any of the games but from his stats he seemed to have improved in the areas he was most critisized for, his TO's are as low as they can go (0.7) and he's only been taking 3.7 shots a game and until recently had a 70% FG%, though it's down to 46% now. Also 4.6 rebounds in 16 minutes isnt bad either.

Ghost Writer
11-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Marcus is infactuated with me.

And now he has eyes for ChumpDumper.

Why doesn't Marcus put everyone on the Ignore List and just Go Post Himself?

Malik Rose is no better than Jerome Williams. The Knicks already have the prototype, why bring in the overpaid imposter?

Rummpd
11-23-2004, 02:49 PM
Great article - play the Drexel and steak sandwich man more Pop!

MadDoc (professor at Drexel and Rose I believe is the only NBA player out of here).