PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the Year- Sloan or Avery?

big3bigD
03-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Little General's shot at history
Back-to-back COY awards in reach, but Sloan looms

Jerry Sloan could spoil Avery Johnson's bid to become the first back-to-back winner of the Coach of the Year award.

In any other year, it would be a no-brainer. Coach of the Year? Obviously it has to go to Avery Johnson.

In just his second full season, the Mavs' coach has guided his team to a league-leading 51-9 record following Tuesday's win against New Jersey. Dallas recently became the first team in NBA history to record three win streaks of 12 or more games, and its win percentage (.850) puts the club on pace to finish 69-13. If so, that would tie the 1996-97 Bulls and '71-72 Lakers for the second-best regular-season record of all time, behind only the '95-96 Chicago team that won 72 games.

So why is the Little General anything but a lock to bag this year's Red Auerbach trophy?

Three reasons. One, he won the award last year. Two, his team was supposed to be good. Three, Jerry Sloan.

No coach has ever won the award in back-to-back seasons. The media, which selects the winner in balloting conducted by the NBA, seem to prefer to spread the love around. Phil Jackson, for example, was denied a repeat selection in '97 despite winning those 69 games (Miami's Pat Riley won instead).

Fair or not, preseason expectations often work against a coach. Never mind that Johnson had to pick up the Mavs emotionally from a devastating loss in the Finals and work in several new faces; the bottom line is Dallas was supposed to be one of the top teams this season. It's just not as sexy as a coach who takes a bad team and makes it decent, as Hubie Brown (with Memphis in '03-04) and Doc Rivers (with Orlando '99-00) did in claiming recent COY trophies.

Perhaps the biggest factor weighing against Johnson, however, is the presence of Sloan. Incredibly, the venerable Jazz coach has never won the award in his 19 seasons in Salt Lake City. It is going to be difficult for a lot of media voters to pass him up again, especially given the fantastic job he has done in leading Utah to the NBA's fourth-best record.

Here's our breakdown of the top COY candidates as of this moment, ranked in order of their likelihood to win the award:

Jerry Sloan
Don't dismiss it strictly as a career achievement award. The Jazz have improved dramatically from last year's 41-41 campaign. While Carlos Boozer's return to health has been a big part, Sloan has kept them playing hard every night and executing as sharply as any team in the league.

Avery Johnson
His Mavs are the sixth fastest to 50 wins in NBA history. He didn't panic when they started 0-4, and he has continued their amazing transformation into a defensive-oriented club. But given the circumstances, it might take 70 wins for Johnson to repeat.

Sam Mitchell
If a dramatic turnaround is the criterion, he's an obvious choice. The Raptors, who underwent a complete overhaul to the roster and a change to a more up-tempo playing style, are the NBA's biggest surprise. Mitchell's steady hand has been even more impressive since he was widely rumored to be on the hot seat going into the season.

Phil Jackson
Despite a slew of injuries from day one of training camp, he found a way to make the Lakers one of the top teams in the West during the first half. He even convinced Kobe Bryant to sacrifice his scoring average for the good of the team. The loss of several key players has taken a toll of late, but overall it is shaping up to be one of Jackson's best coaching jobs.

Jeff Van Gundy
Like his rival the Zen Master, Van Gundy deserves major credit for helping keep his team afloat during Yao Ming's injury. The Rockets managed to go 20-12 after their 7-5 center went down with a broken leg, and it wasn't just because of Tracy McGrady's scoring skills. Houston also leads the league in field goal percentage allowed (.427).

Rip-Hamilton32
03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
flip saunders :elephant

mabber
03-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Sloan

monosylab1k
03-08-2007, 01:00 PM
sam mitchell

big3bigD
03-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Sloan

do you pick sloan based only on this season or because you feel he deserves a "lifetime achievement" nod?

big3bigD
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
sam mitchell

He has done an excellent job for sure. I really like what the Raptos have going on right now.

mabber
03-08-2007, 01:05 PM
do you pick sloan based only on this season or because you feel he deserves a "lifetime achievement" nod?

Mostly this season, but there's probably a little "he deserves one" in it as well.

I've always been impressed by how hard he gets his teams to play even when they haven't been all that good. I don't think that's an easy thing to do in the NBA.

big3bigD
03-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Mostly this season, but there's probably a little "he deserves one" in it as well.

I've always been impressed by how hard he gets his teams to play even when they haven't been all that good. I don't think that's an easy thing to do in the NBA.

That's true. Especially with his being such a demanding and disciplined style of play.

I think that Avery deserves it with the Mavs having been so dominant, but that Sloan will probably get the award.

Shank
03-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Sloan called Amaechi a "fucking cunt". That should have some consideration when voting.

mardigan
03-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Sam Mitchell, young team, keepin them in the playoff hunt

traitoravery
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Phil Jackson HaHahA :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Texas_Ranger
03-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Avery. His team is playing the best basketball all season long. So he deserves it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Sam Mitchell (as much as it pains me to say it)
Avery Johnson
Jeff Van Gundy
Jerry Sloan
Phil Jackson

Taco
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
1. Van Gundy - Coaching Most Of The Year With Out Either T-mac Or Yao And His Team Is Still In Contention

2. Sam Mitchell

sandeepgm
03-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Avery deserves it but sloan might get it as a lifetime achievement thing. Van gundy was getting quite a few props for keeping rockets in the hunt without Yao but now that Yao is back , he will be judged on how the team does from now on.

Dont think any coach has won back to back CPY titles so its either going to be Sloan or Van gundy with the edge to sloan for now.

angel_luv
03-08-2007, 02:25 PM
I hope Sam Mitchell wins.

Avery deserves it too but I can't vote for him.

HeatFan007
03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Why the hell should Avery win it? My grandma could take a loaded roster and do what's expected of the team.

mabber
03-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Why the hell should Avery win it? My grandma could take a loaded roster and do what's expected of the team.

Maybe Riley should win it since he was smart enough to not coach until Shaq came back.

shelshor
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Both

LEONARD
03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41786000/jpg/_41786932_avery416.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/ian_thomsen/06/09/cuban/t1_cuban.johnson.jpg

MrChug
03-08-2007, 05:00 PM
I have to take my hat off to what Van Gundy has done this season with a depleted roster...major injuries to major pieces.

dallaskd
03-08-2007, 05:54 PM
pop

ObiwanGinobili
03-08-2007, 08:15 PM
1.Avery
2.Van Gundy

SAtown
03-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Avery Johnson no doubt

J.T.
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Pop

J.T.
03-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Avery won't get it for the same reason D'Antoni didn't get it again last season. IMHO D'Antonio deserved it last season too for finishing with the 2 seed with an overhauled roster and no Amare, but he got snubbed by the back-to-bak factor. Same reason Pop hasn't gotten it again because the Spurs are expected to be one of the top two or three teams every year. Sloan will win it.

mqywaaah
03-08-2007, 09:52 PM
The Little General, no doubt.

Dalhoop
03-08-2007, 10:14 PM
The Mavs have to get 70 for AJ to win it .... Second best of all time? It would almost demand the award.

I don't think the Mavs will get to 70, so my guess will be Mitchell .... Taking a bottom feeder and turning them into a division leader (4 1/2 game lead right now) and future powerhouse in the East.

I say he wins it.

Jackson?!? What has he done? Last year in the playoffs at 8, this year in the playoffs at 6 (For now) ... Come back when your team shows improvement. Treading water with injuries is what every coach has to try to do.

Sloan .... Is it him, or the fact that the Jazz are healthy now? They have been thought to be a very good team for a few years now, but could never stay healthy long enough to live up to the expectations.

Pop .... The Spurs are about where they are expected to be ... Maybe not. Are the Mavs so much better this year, or are the Spurs having a down year? For Pop to win it ...

Wow ...

I think that they would have to win out, or come very VERY close to it. There is just nothing to point to at this years team that says "Coach of the Year" ... If anything the Spurs "Down play" earlier in the year hurt him in this reguard.

ShoogarBear
03-08-2007, 10:48 PM
1. Sloan
2. Mitchell
3. Van Gundy
4. Avery
5. Byron Scott if the Hornets finish strong

HeatFan007
03-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Avery won't get it for the same reason D'Antoni didn't get it again last season. IMHO D'Antonio deserved it last season too for finishing with the 2 seed with an overhauled roster and no Amare, but he got snubbed by the back-to-bak factor. Same reason Pop hasn't gotten it again because the Spurs are expected to be one of the top two or three teams every year. Sloan will win it.

Exactly. When you have a loaded roster and you are expected to perform, actually performing shouldn't be a surprise. Now, should Dirk go down and the Mavs still stick around at #1 or #2 for half the season like Amare did last year, then I could see you making a case for Avery.

HeatFan007
03-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Maybe Riley should win it since he was smart enough to not coach until Shaq came back.

Riley can suck my balls

Trainwreck2100
03-09-2007, 05:21 AM
Sloan called Amaechi a "fucking cunt". That should have some consideration when voting.

At least he didn't call him a faggot