PDA

View Full Version : What I hate most about Mavs - now #1 enemy?

Rummpd
11-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Trouble deciding on the team on why I absolutely hate this team now even more than the Lakers - perhaps why?

1) An owner who makes Trump look classy with his self-promotion and belief that he "could have been a hoopster".

2) A coach looks like he should be admitted to either jail or a ward somewhere and coaches tactics like hack a Bowen etc. and other Nelliball tactics and yet has never won a title. Preaches "defense", yeah right.

3) Best player looks like a sheep dog, plays great etc. but is he really for real when it counts, time will tell?

4) Did not resign one of the classiest players in the NBA - Nash, which will haunt them as did passing on Shaq, Mourning etc. They seem to have had pretty good luck with rookies, but is anyone of them really as good as a Parker or Ginobli will be or are?

5) Their fans that post on this column who claim greatness but where to quote another poster "where is the confetti" and still believe that if Dirk, who certainly did not pull a Willis Reed hadn't gone down, that would have beat the Spurs two years ago. The truth they were dominated when it counted before he went down and only won game one by getting seemingly hundreds of foul calls (and hit everyone of them - got to give them that at least).

Tough call. Even Avery Johnson will probably not save this franchise although he is a classy update to this cast of characters.

MadDoc
:smokin :smokin

mysterious_elf26
11-17-2004, 11:20 AM
1) An owner who makes Trump look classy with his self-promotion and belief that he "could have been a hoopster".

Havn't he earned a right to. I mean, he went from having nothing to a multi-millionare.

2) A coach looks like he should be admitted to either jail or a ward somewhere and coaches tactics like hack a Bowen etc. and other Nelliball tactics and yet has never won a title. Preaches "defense", yeah right.

Good point, but don't forget that the Spurs do use the hack a shaq technique. I mean you find a team's weakness and go for the kill, that's what sports are about.

3) Best player looks like a sheep dog, plays great etc. but is he really for real when it counts, time will tell?

I don't know why you care about looks of a ball player because they are represented by there game. However, if your referring to Dirk, he has shown many times that he could come up in the clutch.

Tough call. Even Avery Johnson will probably not save this franchise although he is a classy update to this cast of characters.

Yes, the little general is very classy, but Dallas is also a very classy team. They admit defeat, don't pout or cry over a loss.
I mean I'm assuming your a spur's fan just like I am, but did you hate the spurs when they had the worm?
He fit all your arguments. He's not classy, crys when he loses or gives up, he looks like a trans-sexual. But guess what, he was one of our best players and one of my favorites.

You wan't to find real enemy? Lakers. There owner dumped the guys that probably didn't deserve respect, but they did get him championships like yesterday's garbage just to please a criminal.

boutons
11-17-2004, 11:28 AM
With Nash gone, Finley hurt/getting old, Dirk has enough team seniority and credibility to assume a true leadership role. I saw Dirk get really pissed last night at a Mav.

Every team benefits from a Jordan/Magic/Bird-like leader who knows what everybody should be doing, tells them what thet should be doing, leads by example AND words.

Marbury was bitching about his teammates vs Spurs not executing plays, holding the ball too long, etc, etc, so they lose.

GoSpurs21
11-17-2004, 01:39 PM
I still think this year the Utah Jazz will turn out to be the hated foes they once were.

Until the Mavs actually beat us in the playoffs my hate for them will never be as bad as for Lakers, Rockets, Jazz, and Pheonix. The Mavs are just wannabees until they can beat us in the playoffs.

But the lame ass self promoter Cuban is very easy to hate.

ducks
11-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Havn't he earned a right to. I mean, he went from having nothing to a multi-millionare.

STOP RIGHT HERE
JUST BECAUSE THEY GET OFF FROM THEIR CRIMES DOES NOT MEAN THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT.

timvp
11-17-2004, 05:24 PM
The Mavs won't compete in the West until one of their point guards prove to be above average. The reason they won in the past was because Nash was so damn good at creating shots for everyone. He was damn near impossible to stop.

Now they have to find a new way to score ... especially come playoff time. In the regular season, talent will score points. In the playoffs, it's about cohesion and the team understanding what needs to get done. With Nash gone, I think it'll take a few playoff trips to build back up that cohesion for the Mavs to make another run.

xcoriate
11-17-2004, 05:35 PM
I don't hate the Mavs I respect the direction they are trying to head in, they had some great picks in the draft last year, Josh Howard at 29 could be a really good defender some day and grabs rebounds like Marion, and they got Marquise Daniels undrafted whos quite the stud.

Nellie is a tool, he'll "preach defence" when hell freezes over.

Dirk is awesome on the offensive end, i dunno but if they could ever get the cohesion together they would be very very hard to beat. Just as well Cuban guts the team every year :smokin

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Let's take a look at who these clowns have beaten this year-Sacramento, New Orleans, Memphis, Golden State, Miami, New Jersey, and Washington. While I'll admit that they looked pretty good against Miami, none of the other teams has looked even decent in the early going of the season. And from the looks of the box score, it looks like Miami just had a very off shooting night while the Mavs were hot. Such is the way that some games go.

They are postseason choke artists and the latest additions to their roster that are supposed to be such impact players for them (Dampier, Stackhouse, etc.) have little, if any, real crunch time experience in the playoffs. Besides, if you can't succeed with Steve Nash at the point for your team, how on earth do you expect success out of Jason Terry and Marquis Daniels? The Mavs are notoriously strong out of the gate, but they'll be down to the 5th or 6th slot by the all star break.

adrienne
11-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Does no one realize that in the Dirk era, there has only been ONE year in which they didn't advance to at least round 2? Is every single team in the NBA who hasn't won a title in the last few years "choke artists"? Only the Spurs, Lakers, and Pistons are not?

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-17-2004, 07:23 PM
The reason they get tagged as choke artists is because they've had the talent to do a lot more than that. With the talent they've had in the "Dirk era" they should have perennial championship contenders. But with the exception of the 2003 run that crashed and burned with Dirk's knee, they really haven't shown that they can realize that potential. Their loss to the Kings (perhaps the biggest gaggers of them all) last year highlighted that.

GoSpurs21
11-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Does no one realize that in the Dirk era, there has only been ONE year in which they didn't advance to at least round 2? Is every single team in the NBA who hasn't won a title in the last few years "choke artists"? Only the Spurs, Lakers, and Pistons are not?
Yes.
The goal is always winning the championship.
Anything else should be considered a failure.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-18-2004, 01:24 PM
I've never understood the knock against Cuban. He came in, poured money into a dying franchise, turned that into a new building, he's brash and cocky, he talks a good game of smack, he's basically a big homer for the Mavs.

He's got ideas for the NBA that are against the grain, but seem to appeal to a newer audience.

I like Mark Cuban and think he's good for the NBA.

Hell, he even had a discussion with me over something he said about the Spurs during the playoffs.

ShoogarBear
11-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Hell, he even had a discussion with me over something he said about the Spurs during the playoffs.

He was just trying to pick you up.

And a reason the Mavs are chokers? How about "14-0 start, still lose the division"?

adrienne
11-18-2004, 02:35 PM
How about "still tied for division and league-wide lead with the eventual champions"? I'm not saying that it's acceptable to not shoot for a championship...but there are worse things. Like losing in the first round for seven years in a row.