PDA

View Full Version : Can Manu be considered an AS?

smeagol
03-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Given all his accomplishments in the NBA, plus the way he has been playing for the last month, is he or is he not an AS?

Sean Elliott seems to think he is. Manny thinks he wont make it again to the ASG.

Oh, by the way, props to all the posters that asked that Manu come off the bench (timvp, tpark and others). Seems to be working just fine.

Aikita
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Who cares?

Realmente me importa tres carajos(nada encontra tuya semagol). Playoff performance is what really matters.
95% AS watch NBA Finals on TV.

tmtcsc
03-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Manu established 2 years ago that he is an All Star. He's only gotten better. If not for injuries or the fact that he is a team first player, he would make it every year.

I think All Star voting is a joke. Yao Ming ? He was voted as an All Star his rookie year.

LAKERS4LIFE
03-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Manu Will Choke Again In The Playoffs!!!!!!!!!

nkdlunch
03-09-2007, 10:51 AM
what is all star anyway?

Manu is easily top 10 guard in the league. and top 5 in the 4th quarter.

mathbzh
03-09-2007, 11:07 AM
He has the talent.
Right now he plays like one.
But, due to injuries, he lacks the regularity to be a true All Star.

If he can keep his current level till the end of the season, I'll change my judgment (hopefully I will)

carina_gino20
03-09-2007, 11:13 AM
meh...All-stars play the first half of the season...and then some fade away. manu's light shines brightest in the playoffs. :spin

Dave McNulla
03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
an all-star is somebody who's played in the all-star game. a perennial all-star is somebody who is in the game nearly every season.

Kermit
03-09-2007, 11:24 AM
do people in argentina own computers? they need to follow china's example in flooding the ballots to get their national hero in. the fault lies with them.

mathbzh
03-09-2007, 11:25 AM
They are not 1 billion

LilMissSPURfect
03-09-2007, 11:25 AM
real question should be, can any of the allstars be considered winners like MANU?

ALLSTAR WINNER in my book!

Kermit
03-09-2007, 11:30 AM
They are not 1 billion
he doesn't have to get more votes than yao to be an all-star.

mathbzh
03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
French people vote for Parker (I did) but it isn't enough.
And Argentina allready has a God (Maradona) they don't need a heroe.

Kermit
03-09-2007, 11:36 AM
maradona...the god of great cocaine.

kolko
03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
do people in argentina own computers? they need to follow china's example in flooding the ballots to get their national hero in. the fault lies with them.
Not many people like basketball over here. And we only have a population of 40 million. Also, Manu is not a national hero. He is just a national sports hero.

mathbzh
03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
:lol (for kermit)

Kermit
03-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Also, Manu is not a national hero. He is just a national sports hero.
you're right, although some in this country would debate the difference.

mabber
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
He definitely has the talent to be an allstar every year, but he's very inconsistent IMO. I don't know if it's focus or what but he just doesn't seem to show up every game like allstars tend to do(at least in the boxscores). I'm sure he's doing stuff that doesn't really show up in the boxscores.

He's a nightmare to try to guard in the 4th quarter though. He's one of the reasons the Mavs went out and got Buckner & George this offseason...to guard, Manu, Kobe, Wade and players like that.

MannyIsGod
03-09-2007, 01:08 PM
:lol @ Smeagol trying to win the argument still.

Manu is one of the best players in this regardless of whether or not he makes another all star game (he won't) he's an all star.

T Park
03-09-2007, 01:18 PM
The "all star" designation is such an overrated one.

As long as manu keeps doing what hes doing, trust me, he will get something better than an mvp designation, a finals MVP trophy.

Bruno
03-09-2007, 01:25 PM
For three months, Manu has played at an all star level.
If he can do the same thing during the first three months of next year, he will be an allstar.

MrChug
03-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Can Manu be considered an AS?

Jeez, isn't it a little harsh to call him an ass? What did he ever do to you??

sabar
03-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Manu doesn't play enough minutes to get voted in IMO. People look at stat lines, but he can't put up 30 ppg all the time with the minutes he plays. And it affects his overall stat line.

It doesn't matter anyways. If they guy doesn't mind being a bench player when he is worthy of starting, then he doesn't care about the all-star game or respect or anything. He just wants to win.

MrChug
03-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Has a reserve ever been voted in to an All-Star game? I think the coaches voted in Detlef Schrempf...maybe Ricky Pierce also? Help me out...

timvp
03-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Technically, Manu wasn't an All-Star. But if he had played like he's playing now all season, he would have definitely made it. No question.

When coming off the bench, Manu is averaging 18.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 25.5 minutes per game. Those are amazing numbers. That's 35.5 points per 48 minutes, which would place him second in the league behind Carmelo and ahead of the likes of Wade, Bryant and Arenas.

Right now, I seriously don't know of a shooting guard in the NBA who is playing better.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Technically, Manu wasn't an All-Star.

He was running around in a borrowed uniform? What was that I saw?

timvp
03-09-2007, 01:42 PM
He was running around in a borrowed uniform? What was that I saw?
Did I really have to put "this season"? :bang

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Why would you say "Technically, he wasn't an All-Star"? Obviously he wasn't an All-Star. That's like saying "Technically, a tree is not a mineral."

MrChug
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Technically, Manu wasn't an All-Star. But if he had played like he's playing now all season, he would have definitely made it. No question.

When coming off the bench, Manu is averaging 18.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 25.5 minutes per game. Those are amazing numbers. That's 35.5 points per 48 minutes, which would place him second in the league behind Carmelo and ahead of the likes of Wade, Bryant and Arenas.

Right now, I seriously don't know of a shooting guard in the NBA who is playing better.

?

http://www.nba.com/allstar2005/allstar_game/

MrChug
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Did I really have to put "this season"? :bang

Might have helped...

mabber
03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Why would you say "Technically, he wasn't an All-Star"? Obviously he wasn't an All-Star. That's like saying "Technically, a tree is not a mineral."

I was wondering the same thing.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
I get what timvp was trying to say, but laugh at how feisty he gets when people misunderstand what comes out of his mouth. :lol

SilverPlayer
03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
IS there anyone who wouldn't call Carmello an allstar even though he's never been voted in?

timvp
03-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Given all his accomplishments in the NBA, plus the way he has been playing for the last month, is he or is he not an AS?

Merry Christmas. :santahat

ShoogarBear
03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Can Manu be considered a Hispanic?

powerpower
03-09-2007, 02:22 PM
manu is AMAZING.

timvp
03-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Technically, Manu is from Argentina.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
03-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Are you trying to cause the forum to explode? :wtf

:lol

ShoogarBear
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I withdraw the question, your honor.

powerpower
03-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Technically, Manu is from Argentina.

:smokin

Hispanic- is a person who lives in spanish speaking county :))

smeagol
03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
:lol @ Smeagol trying to win the argument still.

Manu is one of the best players in this regardless of whether or not he makes another all star game (he won't) he's an all star.
I enjoy arguing with you.

Let's see what happens next year.

But you have to admit that despite your arguments of why Manu will never again play in an ASG, if he played the first part of the year at the same level as he has played over the last month and a half, he would've had a decent shot at being in Las Vegas IN fEBRUARY (as timvp said it better than me, because he used stats and stuff :smokin ).

smeagol
03-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Or Latino.

Danyo is an expert on this topic.

timvp
03-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I wish the playoffs started tomorrow because with Manu at the level he is at currently, I'd like the Spurs chances against anyone right now.

verbose
03-09-2007, 03:14 PM

:tu

Bruno
03-09-2007, 03:18 PM
I wish the playoffs started tomorrow because with Manu at the level he is at currently, I'd like the Spurs chances against anyone right now.

Maybe he will be even better in two months. :)

Manu stats for this year :
November : 13.8 ppg
December : 16.7 ppg
January : 17.9 ppg
February : 19.5 ppg
March : 21.2 ppg

vanvannen
03-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Maybe he will be even better in two months. :)

Manu stats for this year :
November : 13.8 ppg
December : 16.7 ppg
January : 17.9 ppg
February : 19.5 ppg
March : 21.2 ppg

Nice Stats. :clap

T Park
03-09-2007, 03:32 PM
he needs to save some for later.....

ShoogarBear
03-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Or Latino.

Danyo is an expert on this topic.I couldn't remember which one was the trigger word. :lol

powerpower
03-09-2007, 04:49 PM
he better not waste it on the regular season...we need him for the playoffs

Dartherus
03-09-2007, 05:05 PM
exactly, Manu is more needed during playoff time that at the begining of the season.

Anyway, isn't a shame that many times a stellar production in playoffs is forgotten in the next year just because of a slow start in the next regular season?

SequSpur
03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Argentina is South America, so ya.. hispanic.

SRJ
03-09-2007, 05:17 PM

The Spurs play as a team has risen along with Manu's individual play. I don't think that's wasteful, and if you "dial it down" to try and line everything up for the playoffs, it may not work out. The 2005 Indianapolis Colts started resting people in week 15 that year, so when their playoff game came around about a month later they weren't sharp.

I don't believe in "peaking at the right time" - the history of the NBA is dominated by teams who won throughout the year. For every 1995 Rockets or 2006 Heat, there are eight or nine championship teams that won 58-60 games.

ALVAREZ6
03-09-2007, 05:23 PM
He can be considered a championship (of all sorts) winner. And this year, he will add another.

WalterBenitez
03-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Who cares?

Realmente me importa tres carajos(nada encontra tuya semagol). Playoff performance is what really matters.

Oh man, I was ready to answer but ... that facts killed me ... still thinking that you could be rigth! :oops

Manu being considered AS ... come on .. I'd love he had been this year, but he wasn't ... the rest is pure anecdote ...

You know SA is small market, not sure ever will have 3 in ASG so TD, TP are locked ... Manu probably could run for sth else, but there's no space for him in the show ... IMHO :wakeup

SRJ
03-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Who cares?

Since All-Star play began in 1951, 23% of All-Stars have played in the Finals, although, when counting the last 10 All-Star games (remember, no game in 1999), that figure has dipped to 13%.

powerpower
03-10-2007, 07:59 AM
it's fine with me...he can have a finals mvp instead as game

xcoriate
03-10-2007, 07:59 AM
I think the original point was that only 5% play in the finals each year with the remaining watching from home.

Pretty interesting stat though.

powerpower
03-10-2007, 08:05 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=ArpKkVuD9MrPb_nh4zfzGDSkvLYF?slug=getty-71797647rw023_spurs_kings_4_03_33_am&prov=getty

manu looks funny on that picture .

Martin R
03-10-2007, 08:47 AM
what does it take to be an ALL STAR ?

- Only people who knows about basketball can vote?
No, everybody can vote, even if you don't know how many players you need to have on court.

- Can little kids vote ?
Yes. All you need is a PC/laptop with Internet.

- Is it neccessary a JUSTIFICATION for your vote ?
No, it isn't.

Then, I don't think this is really a basketball contest. This is BUSINESS.

All we need here is to spend some money on MEDIA to get Manu to the covers of the magazines and to the journalist corners.

There you have an "ALL STAR".

M

ArgSpursFan
03-10-2007, 09:00 AM
it's fine with me...he can have a finals mvp instead as game

thatīs even more unlikely tham the ASG.If they didnīt give it to him in the 05 finals,I really think he has no chance at all to accumplish such a thing.Unless he averages 35 ppg 10 rpg ,or something like that.

powerpower
03-10-2007, 09:38 AM
thatīs even more unlikely tham the ASG.If they didnīt give it to him in the 05 finals,I really think he has no chance at all to accumplish such a thing.Unless he averages 35 ppg 10 rpg ,or something like that.

i think that he has a chance if he is healthy and averages about 27 ppg and 7-8 rpg ... he will get it....and of course if he has those end of the game plays getting a rebound ot scoring or making a steal at the end of a game or just being Manu
(we can't predict anything especially when we are talking about Manu) Guess what Manu playoffs 07 might be even better than the one in 05 :))) Hopefully not the opposite :P

ArgSpursFan
03-10-2007, 09:51 AM

No, everybody can vote, even if you don't know how many players you need to have on court.

- Can little kids vote ?

No, it isn't.

Then, I don't think this is not really a basketball contest. This is BUSINESS.

All we need here is to spend some money on MEDIA to get Manu to the covers of the magazines and to the journalist corners.

M

Thatīs one of many reazon why Yao gets some many freaking votes.(China is the most populated country in the freaking world)

Dartherus
03-10-2007, 10:07 AM
i think that he has a chance if he is healthy and averages about 27 ppg and 7-8 rpg ... he will get it....and of course if he has those end of the game plays getting a rebound ot scoring or making a steal at the end of a game or just being Manu
(we can't predict anything especially when we are talking about Manu) Guess what Manu playoffs 07 might be even better than the one in 05 :))) Hopefully not the opposite :P
You're right, besides, in 05 Playoff, Manu lost to Duncan 4-6 in the votes, it wasn't an unanimous decision, it was almost a shared MVP.

So if manu doesn't get injured (as happened back then in the thrid game against Detroit) and his stats are not harmed, he could get an MVP.

ArgSpursFan
03-10-2007, 10:25 AM
You're right, besides, in 05 Playoff, Manu lost to Duncan 4-6 in the votes, it wasn't an unanimous decision, it was almost a shared MVP.

So if manu doesn't get injured (as happened back then in the thrid game against Detroit) and his stats are not harmed, he could get an MVP.

what i was trying to say was that he would have to go out of his mind and play Jordanlike in order to get it,otherwise they wont give it to him,even if he deserves it more tham others(like in 05)

TMTTRIO
03-10-2007, 10:31 AM
what's the chance that Manu will win the 6th Man of the Year award. I hope he does because he really deserves and I hope he gets it but I'm afraid that they'll pick Barbosa (with similar stats) to win it.

ArgSpursFan
03-10-2007, 10:39 AM
If he keeps on coming from the bench he has a big chance.I think Iīll be between Manu,Gordon and Leandro B.

Dartherus
03-10-2007, 10:46 AM
what i was trying to say was that he would have to go out of his mind and play Jordanlike in order to get it,otherwise they wont give it to him,even if he deserves it more tham others(like in 05)
Did you read about 4 for manu - 6 for Tim vote for MVP back then?

He was about to be a co-mvp, depite having 18.7 ppg and Duncan having great numbers....

That's the point, there wasn't a 'conspiration' against him, he was about to equal Duncan voting, and if he hadn't injured, it's almost impossible that he wouldn't have gotten a few more votes.

what's the basis then for saying 'otherwise they wont give it to him' if you saw a 4-6 vote back then?

ArgSpursFan
03-10-2007, 10:56 AM
This is and old discussion in this forum.(cause we have talked about it and everybody laughs when I say manu deserved it more tham Tim).
But its just my opinion,I really think that manu has a small edge over Timmy in the finals,considering game 1 ,2 and 7,and the stats also.
And as far as voting,I know it was 4 to 6,but it could be all the way around and wouldnīt been far from reality.I donīt see why not.

Kori Ellis
03-10-2007, 11:34 AM
what's the chance that Manu will win the 6th Man of the Year award. I hope he does because he really deserves and I hope he gets it but I'm afraid that they'll pick Barbosa (with similar stats) to win it.

They might pick Barbosa or David Lee. People still think of Manu as a starter in their heads, so I'm not sure if that will influence the voting. If he keeps up the pace of February, I would think he has a great shot.

Kori Ellis
03-10-2007, 11:36 AM

- Can little kids vote ?

No, it isn't.

Then, I don't think this is not really a basketball contest. This is BUSINESS.

M

Well yes, to make him a starter. But he could be picked by the coaches as a reserve. If he would have been playing early in the year like he is now, I'm sure he would have been as a reserve.

T Park
03-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah Lee for the fact hes in New York, or Barbosa, one of the league's darling teams, will get the nod before Ginobili, agreed Kori.

Kori Ellis
03-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah Lee for the fact hes in New York, or Barbosa, one of the league's darling teams, will get the nod before Ginobili, agreed Kori.

Barbosa's numbers are very similar to Manu - so I don't think I'd complain much if he got it. Lee - 11 boards in 30 mpg is pretty damn good.

powerpower
03-10-2007, 11:42 AM
This is and old discussion in this forum.(cause we have talked about it and everybody laughs when I say manu deserved it more tham Tim).
But its just my opinion,I really think that manu has a small edge over Timmy in the finals,considering game 1 ,2 and 7,and the stats also.
And as far as voting,I know it was 4 to 6,but it could be all the way around and wouldnīt been far from reality.I donīt see why not.

in 05, i thought that manu was the MVP b/c he HAS all around game... he does everything he possibly can to win a game ANYTHING
Manu is going to kill himself if that what it takes to win a game ....he has the will of a champion

SRJ
03-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I think the original point was that only 5% play in the finals each year with the remaining watching from home.

Pretty interesting stat though.

I understood the original point, and it's possible I didn't explain the statistic very well. I'll try again.

In a given year, 23% of the All-Star rosters will go on to play in the Finals, although over the last ten All-Star games that percentage has dropped to 13%. To use hypothetical examples, in year "X" three of the twenty-four selections went on to play in the Finals (12.5%), while in year "Y" it was five out of twenty-five (20%), and so on. The average since All-Star play began was 23%.

I think the way I explained it before, it looked like 23% of everyone who made at least one All-Star team played in the Finals at some point. Sorry about the confusion.