PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson, Speedy Claxton, Devin Brown

SpursDynasty
03-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Imagine how much better the Spurs would be today if not for the departure of these former Spurs to junk teams. Jackson went to the Pacers, Claxton went to the Warriors, then traded to Hornets, then Hawks. Brown went to the Utah Jazz last year when they sucked, and now is with the Hornets. You've got to wonder what in the world these guys were thinking....

Kermit
03-09-2007, 12:21 PM
i'm not pining for speedy but admittedly, it would be nice to have devin.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Imagine how much better the Spurs would be today if not for the departure of these former Spurs to junk teams. Jackson went to the Pacers, Claxton went to the Warriors, then traded to Hornets, then Hawks. Brown went to the Utah Jazz last year when they sucked, and now is with the Hornets. You've got to wonder what in the world these guys were thinking....

They were probably thinking that Speedy Claxton would have an injury-riddled season at some point and preferred not to have millions of dollars consistently on the inactive list.

Sec24Row7
03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Speedy is really the only one I miss out of those 3.

Supergirl
03-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Jackson had his chance to stay with the Spurs. He may be still tearing it up, but he's about 20 steps further from ever winning a championship again. Turning down the Spurs was the worst decision of his life, both professionally and personally.

All the reasons why the Spurs were hesitant to give Claxton a big contract, or even a medium one, have proved to be good foresight - he's injury prone. When was the last time he played a full season?

Devin Brown was never going to get the playing time he wanted here, and from what Kori has said, Pop wasn't happy with his work ethic. Maybe being let go by the Spurs and the Jazz, and unemployed for a little while, lit a fire under him to work harder. I could still imagine him back in SA some day. Same with Malik.

boutons_
03-09-2007, 12:34 PM
"They were probably thinking that Speedy Claxton"

Speedy left, purely and simply, because he thought he was a starting PG and he could see that spot was filled by Tony. Having bounced around several lottery teams without securing a full-time starting PG position, it looks like Speedy was wrong, and the Spurs were right. He has been a starter, but only about 35 starts/season, either because he wasn't good enough or because he was hurt.

yawn, yet another thread about ex-Spurs who went on to achieve not much (good) at all (SJax has achieved much bad, and he's a shitty scorer, rebounder, defender, assister).

(Devin looks the most promising, but it took 3 months of NBA unemployment to kick his ass into gear)

K-State Spur
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Speedy is really the only one I miss out of those 3.

That's odd, because over the past few weeks, Vaughn is giving us most everything that speedy did (and he's not hurt 2 games out of 3).

Because he hit a few WIDE open shots in the finals, Speedy is one of those guys who people will always remember being better than he was.

That's not to imply that he wasn't good, just that many posters on this board have an over-fondness for him compared to what he actually gave us.

MrChug
03-09-2007, 12:45 PM
What boutons said.

Ocotillo
03-09-2007, 01:08 PM
If SJax had stayed here I bet he would not have encountered his recent legal difficulties nor would he have ran into the stands to take on an abusive fan. I'm just saying enviroment would have kept him out of those two issues.

Bruno
03-09-2007, 01:21 PM
If their is one thing Spurs FO do well, it's judging their own players.

When Spurs give up on a player, it's rarely a mistake. Among former Spurs playing in the nba : some struggle (Claxton, Nazr, Malik..) , some are average at best (Rasho, Devin, Hedo ...), some will go in jail (Jackson) but I don't a former Spurs who is playing weel enough to be really missed.

doldrums
03-09-2007, 01:24 PM
speedy has , I believe, the lowest fg% of any NBA player who plays over 20 minutes a game. Do you really think we miss that.

sabar
03-09-2007, 01:25 PM
boutons is 100% right.

People have a tendency here to over-rate players because of a few big shots they made in a very mediocre career.

Obstructed_View
03-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Some of you guys miss Speedy. The only thing Speedy misses is 50 games a year.

T Park
03-09-2007, 06:18 PM
What ocotillo said....

STEVEYCU
03-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Antonio Daniels would still be a good fit for this team

ducks
03-09-2007, 09:18 PM
why could devin brown get it when he was a spur
he thought since he was from sa the coaches would overlook the fact and not make him come to work on time
how stupid

xcoriate
03-09-2007, 09:24 PM
ducks..... shhhh!

Speedy - Is an oft injured career backup who has been horrible since his contract year in NO, he is not the answer at PG for the Spurs no matter how well he played back in 03

Brown - I must admit I'd love to have him here, he would easily be the best suited to play '4' in Pop's small ball lineup of anyone on this team. That being said he's a dime-a-dozen player, there's others that can fill that role as well who show up to practice and don't have a history of back problems.

S-Jax - :lol Come on now hasn't he done enough... no way from me. I mean yes the Spurs is great place for players with iffy moral compasses i.e. Glenn Robinson.. however Stephen Jackson is just straight off his rocker. There's a difference.

xcoriate
03-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Ohh.....

Here Here for Antonio Daniels as well - he was the balls in the Sonics series as well. Could spell Parker + Manu and can create for himself and others.

I think his contract is a little on the high side for a backup though....

exstatic
03-09-2007, 09:37 PM
I think the Spurs front office may have been a bit POd at AD. They invested a 3 yr/$9M contract to groom him as the starter to replace AJ, and he bails on them and asks not to start after 4-5 games. At the time, the contract was more than the MCE. He also may be overvalued. He's only averaged double figure points once in his 9 years.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2007, 10:51 PM
AD only delivered when he was with the sonics

and steph went for the money which i understand, business POV

but lookin back he took a decision which worked out for him money wise, besides his off court problems. Seriously we shouldve given him the MLE.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-09-2007, 11:01 PM
That's odd, because over the past few weeks, Vaughn is giving us most everything that speedy did (and he's not hurt 2 games out of 3).

Because he hit a few WIDE open shots in the finals, Speedy is one of those guys who people will always remember being better than he was.

That's not to imply that he wasn't good, just that many posters on this board have an over-fondness for him compared to what he actually gave us.

Um, no. Speedy was fantastic for the last 20 games of the regular season and the playoffs. One night when Tony got hurt, he almost put up a triple double in the second half (11pts, 10asts, 9 bds)! Tim stole his rebound. He played at the top of his ability for us at the end of that season, and when Tony was off he was on. He was the best backup we've had in a long while.

That is not to say I want him back, as his injury-proneness ever since leaving us has been terrible. Get me Chris Duhon somehow!

ducks
03-09-2007, 11:04 PM
speedy came up big against the nets after tp played awesome the first 3 games and was talk about finals mvp
nets forcused on stoping tp and tp struggled
speedy came in and kicked ass
speedy then thought he was a starter
WRONG!
speedy never made a three pointer as a spur
spurs backup has a better outside shot then speedy and plays better d

RC's Boss
03-09-2007, 11:33 PM
If they were here, we'd have severe luxury tax problems b/c of mediocre players. I'll take the old cheap cats over young, expensive, inconsistent, and sometimes trigger happy ones any day!

doldrums
03-10-2007, 11:00 AM
speedy came up big against the nets after tp played awesome the first 3 games and was talk about finals mvp
nets forcused on stoping tp and tp struggled
speedy came in and kicked ass
speedy then thought he was a starter
WRONG!
speedy never made a three pointer as a spur
spurs backup has a better outside shot then speedy and plays better d

Read this and let's not hear another word about speedy.

At the bottom lurk big names
By David DuPree | Mar 6, 2007 | 376 words, 0 images

Clang!

That has become an all-too-familiar sound this season whenever Speedy Claxton of the Atlanta Hawks, Andrei Kirilenko of the Utah Jazz and the Miami Heat's Antoine Walker shoot the basketball.

Claxton is last in field goal percentage at 32.7%, Kirilenko the most dreadful from beyond the three-point arc at 19.4% and Walker the poorest from the free throw line at 35.9%, giving them the distinction of currently being the worst shooters in the NBA.

A player had to have played in at least 35 games and averaged at least 20 minutes to qualify for the dubious distinctions. For the three-point shooters, a player also had to have made at least 10 three-pointers.

Denver Nuggets star Allen Iverson and Walker's Miami teammate Alonzo Mourning "rule" in two other categories -- Iverson commits the most turnovers -- 4.32 a game -- and Mourning is the league's worst passer, registering only 13 assists in 1,254 minutes, an average of 0.23 a game.

The Heat, trying to make the playoffs despite Dwyane Wade's injury, have players all over the lists. Wade is second in turnovers at 4.2 a game, and Gary Payton, Wade and ...

exstatic
03-10-2007, 11:29 AM
For the three-point shooters, a player also had to have made at least 10 three-pointers.

WTF? So if someone is 9-500, they don't qualify as the worst 3pt shooter? :lol:rollin

It should be based on minimum attempts, not makes. This is a measure of how few you make!!

T Park
03-10-2007, 11:38 AM
The only one I wish the Spurs had as of now, is Devin brown.

and thats only because of his youth, good defense, and rebounding ability.

Im indifferent to Stephen. Speedy, eh, he can't ever stay healthy enough.

timvp
03-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Devin Brown for the amount of money he's making is a top ten steal in the NBA.

Dave McNulla
03-10-2007, 01:33 PM
you forgot to pine for derek anderson. and glenn robinson too.

T Park
03-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Hmmm.

Derek Anderson who hardly plays and glenn Robinson who is retired.

Yeah good corolation between them and Devin Brown and Stephen Jackson. :rolleyes

Dave McNulla
03-10-2007, 02:05 PM
the correlation is that they don't play for the spurs anymore. they left because they wanted to.

if you are going to get all what if, you should wonder what if the spurs had drafted josh howard.

T Park
03-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Glenn Robinson didn't leave, more like, wasn't offered back.

Derek Anderson, well we've been through that saga....