PDA

View Full Version : Verse Scola

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Basketsession (http://www.basketsession.com/index.php?page=euroleague_report&langue=GB&id_ER=11)

Luis Scola and Poetry

You know my man Luis Scola just broke another record.
Top scorer in Euroleague history, maybe you haven't heard ?
He'd be a good fit for the Sixers
But his draft rights belong to the Spurs...

He can drive. He can shoot. And he's a team leader
Plus he's got the footwork of a Knicks cheerleader.
He'd average a double-double for the Lakers
But know what ? His draft rights belong to the Spurs...

They say he's 6'9 and he plays atrocious D.
They even drafted him 50 freaking picks after Tskitishvili.
But he would score 20 a night for the Blazers
If only his draft rights didn't belong to the Spurs...

Sure he looks like Sgt Garcia from Zorro had a son
But don't tell me he is worse than Francisco Elson.
He might well be an All-Star would he play for the Clippers
Yet his draft rights do belong to the Spurs...

Epilogue

Yeah he's playing the same position as the Big Fundametal
And they won't play him center cause he's not 7 feet tall.
All that fuss for 3 inches. They don't know what they miss
But maybe 3 inches is also the size of their penis.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
He'd average a double-double for the LakersHe can't average a double-double for Tau.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 02:20 PM
To be fair, no one averages double-doubles in Euroleague, as far as I know. It's like double-doubling in college -- the games are so much shorter.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, Scola would average 30 points and 10 rebounds a game in Euroleague if he played 49 minutes a game.

Good take.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
I wasn't giving a take. Pull some of the stuffing out of your shirt. He's not a good rebounder, I agree.

ArgSpursFan
03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I donīt even read to champīs post on Scola.him like others here are just Scolahaters.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't hate.

You overrate.

FromWayDowntown
03-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't hate.

You overrate.

Come on, Chump -- you just don't get it. If you refuse to acknowledge that Manu Ginobili is more important to Spurs history than George Gervin, you're a Manuhater. If you are at all skeptical about predictions that Luis Scola would become a dominant NBA player, you are a Scolahater.

I suspect you hate Pepe Sanchez, too.

Hater.

FromWayDowntown
03-09-2007, 03:22 PM
He'd average a double-double for the Lakers

I'm sure Scola would walk right into the league and become the next guy on this list:

Kevin Garnett
Dwight Howard
Emeka Okafor
Carlos Boozer
Al Jefferson
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Shawn Marion
Zach Randolph
Jermaine O'Neal
Steve Nash
Marcus Camby
David Lee

Those, after all, are the only 13 players in the entire league to average a double-double. Of those 13 guys, 8 are undisputed, perennial All-Stars. I'm pretty sure that Luis Scola will immediately keep that kind of company as soon as he enters the NBA. In fact, that must explain why so many teams are hounding the Spurs to make a deal to acquire Scola. That MUST be it.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Right, and since Marcus Haislip is leading Euroleague in rebounding and scoring almost as much as Scola, it's just a reflection of his perennial double-double production during his three years in the NBA.

Solid D
03-09-2007, 03:26 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071505.1D.BKNspurs.oberto.6c5ecb8d.html

The NBA buyout in Scola's initial contract with Tau was a staggering 12 million euros or $14.5million. The team later revised the contract to give Scola a much more affordable buyout based on where he was drafted in the first round. Yet because the deal never specified anything about being selected in the second round, Tau officials claim Scola must pay the original buyout if he wants to leave for the NBA or wait until his contract expires in three years when the buyout is reduced to $1 million. (2008)

The Spurs, who are limited by NBA rules to contributing no more than $350,000 to the buyout, have spent more than two years trying to resolve the matter. While Scola's agents tried to convince the Spurs they eventually will strike a deal with Tau — the issue could end up in the hands of an arbitrator — team officials decided they couldn't risk waiting (when they signed Oberto).

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 03:29 PM
For the record - as if there should be any doubt - I did not write the poem above and I think Scola's ceiling is probably about 15/7 or 15/8, a good bench guy or part-time starter. A new Corliss Williamson, actually.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Williamson's highest rebound average was 6.2 in 29.6 minutes a game, which makes it about the same rate Scola boards in Euroleague now.

Eight boards a game in the NBA is an enormous reach.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I don't think Scola will rebound that much. Might be more of a scorer, less of a rebounder than Williamson.

MannyIsGod
What? Mr. Body overrating a Euro bigman? The hell you say!

T Park
scola wants about 4.5 mill a year, and youd be paying for a long haired corliss williamson?

Eh, no thanks.

T Park
03-09-2007, 03:39 PM

:lmao

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 03:41 PM

Again, fancypants, I didn't write the damn thing.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I actually think the 9 and 3 that Williamson is averaging now is pretty realistic.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Could be.

T Park
03-09-2007, 04:10 PM
9 and 3 aint worth the MLE that he wants thats for fing sure.

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Uh... not sure this will have any impact on you whatsoever, but by accounts Scola has never demanded the MLE.

Dartherus
03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Williamson's highest rebound average was 6.2 in 29.6 minutes a game, which makes it about the same rate Scola boards in Euroleague now.

Eight boards a game in the NBA is an enormous reach.
Chump, you should ackowledge that FIBA RULES are different, not only less playing time, but also ZONE DEFENSE would not let so easily get high numbers.

Gasol before coming to NBA only had 11 ppg and 5 rpg in slightly less than 30 mins, there were games where Gasol scored near 30 pts but they were a few.

Even Duncan, a so dominant player, was not so comfortable with zone D.

Nikola Vujkic, 6'11", top euro CENTER (not PF) rebound about the same as Scola, and it's rare to find more than 7 rpg in TOP euro teams (you can find some, but playing in weaker teams, where there are ballhogs who get better stats).

Zone D harms a lot the number of inside big men.

Apart from the rules, the european STYLE is FAR more collective, again, specially in the strongest teams of Europe.

So you CAN'T translate automatically FIBA numbers to NBA numbers.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Chump, you should ackowledge that FIBA RULES are different, not only less playing time, but also ZONE DEFENSE would not let so easily get high numbers.Would you like me to post Haislip's NBA averages?

T Park
03-09-2007, 04:24 PM
but by accounts Scola has never demanded the MLE.

didnt pay much attention to the summer of 2 years ago did ya...

ChumpDumper
03-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Nikola Vujkic, 6'11", top euro CENTER (not PF) rebound about the same as Scola, and it's rare to find more than 7 rpg in TOP euro teams (you can find some, but playing in weaker teams, where there are ballhogs who get better stats).A guy is a ballhog if he gets alot of rebounds? Some things definitely don't translate.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Ok, I'll ask the Euro posters then since they know so much more than I do.

What do you think Scola would average on the Spurs playing 20-25 minutes a game?

Mr. Body
03-09-2007, 04:40 PM
didnt pay much attention to the summer of 2 years ago did ya...

Is that when his buyout was reported by the Spurs and the SA media as $14 bajillion dollars? No thanks, try again.

Phenomanul
03-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok, I'll ask the Euro posters then since they know so much more than I do.

What do you think Scola would average on the Spurs playing 20-25 minutes a game?

I'm not a Euro poster but I'd say that Scola could probably average ~10 and 5 if he came over next year.

What those stats don't measure are the hustle plays and intangibles that players like Manu and Nocioni are known for. Scola is the same type of Argentine player - hardnosed, gritty, energetic, relentless and a great team player.

Frankly, I believe the Spurs still see the possibility of bringing Scola next year - when his buyout is much less prohibitive.

ArgSpursFan
03-09-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm sure Scola would walk right into the league and become the next guy on this list:

Kevin Garnett
Dwight Howard
Emeka Okafor
Carlos Boozer
Al Jefferson
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Shawn Marion
Zach Randolph
Jermaine O'Neal
Steve Nash
Marcus Camby
David Lee

Those, after all, are the only 13 players in the entire league to average a double-double. Of those 13 guys, 8 are undisputed, perennial All-Stars. I'm pretty sure that Luis Scola will immediately keep that kind of company as soon as he enters the NBA. In fact, that must explain why so many teams are hounding the Spurs to make a deal to acquire Scola. That MUST be it.
I doubt the spurs tried to deal Scolas right this year before the trade deadline.
I also doubt Scola can average a double-double,but At the same time I belive He can be a 10/13 ppg and 6/8 rpg type of player.which is very good for a 3.5 M p/year player.
Now considering those numbers and adding his experince(Olympics,world championships,Euroleague)you can have a very decent playoffs player,who wont be scared of shooting the ball down the strech on a playoff game 6 or 7.
Like I said before,he wont be the next Duncan,or KG,but you cant have a player like Duncan or KG,or J.Oneil for only $ 3.5 M p/year.

Dartherus
03-09-2007, 09:33 PM
I doubt the spurs tried to deal Scolas right this year before the trade deadline.
I also doubt Scola can average a double-double,but At the same time I belive He can be a 10/13 ppg and 6/8 rpg type of player.which is very good for a 3.5 M p/year player.
Now considering those numbers and adding his experince(Olympics,world championships,Euroleague)you can have a very decent playoffs player,who wont be scared of shooting the ball down the strech on a playoff game 6 or 7.
Like I said before,he wont be the next Duncan,or KG,but you cant have a player like Duncan or KG,or J.Oneil for only $ 3.5 M p/year.
In Spurs he won't have great stats, having Tim ahead him.

In other team, without a superstar PF, once adapted to NBA, he could be a decent 17/7 starting PF, IMO.

RC's Boss
03-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Leave Scola were he is or trade his rights. Either way, i'm w/ the Dumper!

T Park
03-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Is that when his buyout was reported by the Spurs and the SA media as $14 bajillion dollars? No thanks, try again

so scola's agent was lying too?

Fascinating.

WalterBenitez
03-10-2007, 05:41 AM
He can't average a double-double for Tau.
:lol

WalterBenitez
03-10-2007, 05:43 AM
FRee Scola's rigths to another team that have big pockets ...

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2007, 05:51 AM
FRee Scola's rigths to another team that have big pockets ...
maybe the knicks would make a deal with us for lee hahaha

WalterBenitez
03-10-2007, 05:56 AM
maybe the knicks would make a deal with us for lee hahaha

YOu know that short guy in NY could have deep pockets .. even buying stupid things ... :lol

ArgSpursFan
03-10-2007, 08:49 AM
In Spurs he won't have great stats, having Tim ahead him.

In other team, without a superstar PF, once adapted to NBA, he could be a decent 17/7 starting PF, IMO.

How long more,you think Timmy will be able to guard quick/fast PFs before Pop moves Him to the center Spot and guard Slower Centers.? 1,2 more yrs.?
Eventually we are gonna need a younger PF to muchup better with quicker younger PFs

Phenomanul
03-10-2007, 03:01 PM
How long more,you think Timmy will be able to guard quick/fast PFs before Pop moves Him to the center Spot and guard Slower Centers.? 1,2 more yrs.?
Eventually we are gonna need a younger PF to muchup better with quicker younger PFs

The 2008 Dwight Howard Plan willl also solve that problem....

ArgSpursFan
03-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah, right.I forgot about the master plan :hat