PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag: What Is He Waiting To See??

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-10-2007, 02:03 AM
From Spurs Mailbag with Express-News Staff Writer, Johnny Ludden:

Q - Right now Dallas is playing on another level than most teams, maybe except the Spurs. What will it take for San Antonio to beat Dallas in the post-season?

– Chris Smith, San Antonio

A - An injury to Dirk Nowitzki would help.

The Mavs are playing out-of-this-world for a reason. They’re talented, well-coached and extremely deep. Pop told me he thinks they’re better than the Detroit team the Spurs faced in the 2005 Finals – and he said that two months ago, which, I think, might be the last time they lost.

BUT, I still think the Spurs can compete with them. I wouldn’t pick them to win the series, not based on what I see now. But I certainly wouldn’t count them out.

This is what the Spurs have going for them: Tim, Manu and Tony are all playing at a high level. If the role players can provide adequate support, that should take them pretty far.

If someone (like Francisco) can at least make Dirk work for his points that would help considerably because it would free up Bruce to guard Josh Howard. I’m still not convinced the Spurs (or anyone else) have that person.

:huh

"BUT, I still think the Spurs can compete with them. I wouldn’t pick them to win the series, not based on what I see now."

What exactly is he waiting to see???

Tigole Bitties
03-10-2007, 02:13 AM
What exactly is he waiting to see???

Better team rebounding (outboarded by the Kings who's tallest player is 6'9"?!?!)

Better free throw shooting

Tony Parker to get back into form

Better defense Elson + Oberto (stop giving up cheap fouls)

sabar
03-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Too bad the only thing of those we will see is Parker getting back in form. If a team could improve their rebounding, FT shooting, and defense by will and practice alone they'd be totally unbeatable. These are roster problems and they won't change without roster changes.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-10-2007, 02:23 AM
I asked that very question ("What exactly are you waiting to see") to Johnny Ludden via email, and he responded with the following:

"Dallas actually lose a game."

"This has nothing to do with how the Spurs are playing, but the fact the Mavericks are 51-5 (or whatever it is now) since going 0-4 to start the season. The Spurs have gone 11-0 and made up absolutely no ground on Dallas. It's like what Manu said the other day: The Mavericks are clearly the best team right now until someone proves otherwise. And the Spurs aren't going to have that opportunity until the playoffs. (The Mavericks will probably be able to rest players during the teams' final regular-season meeting because they figure to have the No. 1 seed locked up by then.)"

"The problem is they are probably five, six teams the Spurs can truly measure themselves against: Dallas, Phoenix, Utah, Houston (when it's healthy), the Lakers (when they're healthy) and Detroit. So while the Spurs are clearly playing their best basketball, even they are anxious to see how much better they match up with the Mavericks, Suns and Jazz."

"That's why the playoffs figure to be so interesting."

Fair enough. The only thing I would say is that the Spurs have already shown the ability to compete against and beat the big boys. Perhaps not this year, but this is the same core group that's been getting it done over the past few seasons... all (the "big 3") playing at as high a level as ever, and the oldest of our big 3 is only 30. So it's reasonable to conclude that this Spurs team right now is at least in the very same neighborhood as the championship caliber squads of the last few years.

People keep saying "Dallas is the only team hotter than the Spurs".
What they mean by that is that the Mavs' win streak is 5 games larger than the Spurs'. But that doesn't mean they're hotter (that they're playing better right now)... it just means they started their streak 5 games earlier.

In fact, the Mavs started playing championship caliber basketball a lot earlier than the Spurs (about 5 games into the seaon). But the fact remains that BOTH are playing at an other-wordly level right now.

I've watched good portions of several Mavericks games (and all of the Spurs games) over the past couple weeks, and I think you'd be hard pressed to say either team (Dallas or SA) is outplaying the other. Throw the first 3-1/2 months of the season out the window. They don't mean a thing. What matters is the way both are playing as we approach the playoffs, and I think you have to look at a Dallas vs. SA series as a dead heat right now.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Better team rebounding (outboarded by the Kings who's tallest player is 6'9"?!?!)

Better free throw shooting

Tony Parker to get back into form

Better defense Elson + Oberto (stop giving up cheap fouls)

The fact that they've been able to extend this streak without Tony Parker (and he clearly wasn't himself in the last couple games) just makes what the Spurs are doing, that much more convincing.

As for better team rebounding... you can't win every aspect of every game, every night. It's worth noting that Dallas has been outrebounded several times over the same stretch (the last 11 games) as well.

Free throw shooting? Well, it may not be great... but it's definitely better than any of the other championship caliber Spurs teams we've seen over the past several years. That won't be their downfall this year.

Better defense out of Elson and Oberto... aaaah, I think they've been doing a capable job, personally. The team defense as a whole has certainly been kicking ass.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-10-2007, 02:43 AM
Too bad the only thing of those we will see is Parker getting back in form. If a team could improve their rebounding, FT shooting, and defense by will and practice alone they'd be totally unbeatable. These are roster problems and they won't change without roster changes.

Part of the rebounding thing is the low offensive rebound totals the Spurs usually put up... but that's not a bad thing. The Spurs aren't a great offensive rebounding team (statistically) because they shoot a high FG% (fewer rebounds to be had) and they choose to get back on defense rather than crashing the boards.

That said... the Spurs rebounding has not been weak. The Spurs have out-rebounded their opponents in 8 of the 11 games over this streak. And that's with numerous blowouts that has seen our best rebounder, Timmy, spend more time resting on the bench.

Free throws... again, FT shooting is far better than any of the other championship caliber teams the Spurs have put on the floor over the past few years.

Overall, the Spurs have been the best defensive team in basketball over the past 11 games.

Flight3107
03-10-2007, 03:13 AM
All three games this year have been decided by 6 points or fewer.

It these two teams meet in the WCF I expect nothing but a 7 game series.

:hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

Capt Bringdown
03-10-2007, 03:24 AM
From Spurs Mailbag with Express-News Staff Writer, Johnny Ludden:

Q - Right now Dallas is playing on another level than most teams, maybe except the Spurs. What will it take for San Antonio to beat Dallas in the post-season?

I think we'd have to continue to hit timely 3's as we've done in the past few games of this streak.
Unfortunately, you can't count on remaining hot from downtown, which is why this team reminds of earlier Spurs squads who've been knocked out early. Live by outside shooting, die by outside shooting.

I think what we'll really need instead of agonizing about who's gonna match up with Dirk, is an aggressive attack-the-basket Philosophy.
Take it to the rim relentlessly and put Dallas on their heels for a change. Get their studs in foul trouble.
But I don't see enough folks on our squad who can play this way.

Kori Ellis
03-10-2007, 03:40 AM
Here's the rest of the article:

Spurs Mailbag: Is it time to bench Parker? Forget Barry? Ludden has the answers

Web Posted: 03/09/2007 01:18 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA03092006.spursmailbag.34f93ffe.html

Did anyone else notice how much better the Spurs moved the ball and got everyone involved in the offense against Houston with Parker out of the lineup?
– Charlie W., San Antonio

I’m surprised. This question didn’t pop into my mailbox until about five hours after the game.

I had 37 seconds in the How Long Before Someone Suggests The Spurs Are Better Without Tony pool.

The ball did move well against the Rockets. And as everyone knows it can sometimes stick when it’s in Tony’s hands.

But I’m going to have to see a lot more evidence before I join the Bench-TP-For-Jacque campaign. The less time Tony’s on the floor, the less of those transition layups the Spurs get. And, at least from where I sit, those sure seem like easy baskets any team would appreciate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are Oberto and Matt Bonner's birthdays?
– Richard O. Torres, San Antonio

Fab was born on March 21, 1975, so he turns 32 this month. Matt’s birthday is April 5, 1980.

In case you plan on sending out gifts, mine is June 3, 1971. Which, I guess, makes me automatically eligible to start at small forward for the Spurs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you give me two good reasons why Finley should start and get more minutes then Brent? Why does Pop treat Brent like a second-class citizen??
– Christopher, Hermosa Beach, Calif.

Spurs Mailbag
Got a question about the Spurs? Use the form below and fire away!
*Your name

*Your e-mail

Your hometown

*Your question

*Required

Brent’s making $5.1 million this season and about $20 million over the life of the four-year contract the Spurs gave him. So if that’s second-class treatment, sign me up. I’ll let Pop blow me up in front of 19,000 strangers every day for that kind of paycheck.

That said, I know where you’re coming from. With Beno having not played much until recently, Brent assumed Whipping Boy No. 1 duties.

On a couple of those occasions, I thought Pop has been unnecessarily harsh on Brent, maybe even ridiculously so in Denver. (Disclaimer: I didn’t actually see Pop light up Brent in Denver. Monroe was covering that game and said he didn’t see or hear it because the Nuggets’ new press seating is in Colorado Springs. Of course, Monroe also has an unusual fondness for Rocky, the Nuggets mascot, so he might have just been distracted. But a few of the guys later told me about the blowup and said it rated a 9-plus on the Pop-O-Meter.)

Here’s the thing with coaches (and, again, my own athletic career never extended beyond ninth grade and the occasional pick-up game, so I really have no right to offer an opinion on this or anything else related to sports, but I’ll do so anyway): At some point most of them inevitably to seem to focus more on what a player can’t do than what he can.

In Brent’s case that means Pop’s going to ride him for his inconsistent defense. He’s also blown him up for throwing the occasionally wacky pass, which disappoints me because I like wacky passes. I assume this is because it takes all of Pop’s willpower to refrain from lighting into Manu when he does the same thing. This, in turn, later exposes Brent to the full four-letter blast.

You would think these issues come up for discussion when teams are debating whether to sign players.

R.C. Buford: “You cool with us giving Brent a four-year deal for $20 million?”

Pop: “Sounds good to me.”

R.C.: “You do know he’s not known for his individual defense, right? And he also sometimes throws wacky passes.”

Pop: “That’s fine. Maybe if I yell at him enough he’ll get better.”

I know some people may disagree, but in my opinion, Pop’s unwillingness to compromise when it comes to defense has been the foundation of the Spurs’ success. Well, that and Tim. And Manu. And Tony. But you get the point.

Pop also gets a lot of attention for his sideline demeanor (and trust me it’s worth the $2,500 admission to sit next to the bench), but he usually has a good touch with his players. He doesn’t overwork them and the whole family-atmosphere cliché is pretty true when it comes to the Spurs.

Yes, he can sometimes be too stubborn or heavy-handed, to the point where it’s doing neither the player nor the team any good. (See Udrih, Beno). But, for the most part, I’ve long thought he’s gotten his players’ best effort. (See Jackson, Stephen).

Brent’s in a tough spot now. I thought his minutes were more consistent when he was coming off the bench. Now, if the team comes out flat to start the second half, Pop can’t get Manu to the scorer’s table quick enough. And with Fin starting to shoot better, Brent sometimes gets squeezed.

I still think, however, Brent is going to help win a playoff game or two. Just like he helped win the recent game in Atlanta and Monday’s in Los Angeles against the Clippers. He’s still shooting pretty well and the ball moves with him on the court.

Can I have a free Tony Parker home jersey?
– Christian, Hobart

Sorry, the post office here at the Mailbag works in just one direction. You can send stuff in, but we ain’t mailing anything out.

Ok, so we all know about the rumor that Scottie Pippen wants to come back to the NBA. But after that Pop makes the announcement that our roster is set.

However, he made the announcement before rumors started floating around that Reggie Miller was eyeing a return to the NBA court. If he is, I hope the Spurs SERIOUSLY consider signing him.

We could always use another player who can shoot the 3-ball and spread out the defense for Timmy down low. Not to mention he has a lot of experience hitting big shots.

With Reggie in the game with Horry, Ginobili and Duncan, it would create matchup problems for the other team in close games. Who would the Spurs give the ball to in the last seconds of the game? All four of them have big shot credentials.

I could care less about his age. If everyone has already dubbed the Spurs as the oldest team in the league right now, what's it going to hurt to add Miller to a one-year contract? It makes sense to me.

Miller is a perfect fit for the Spurs. What do you think?
– Charles Bryant, La Vernia

I’ll be surprised if Reggie signs with the Spurs or anyone else. The Dallas rumor died almost as quickly as it started.

This is the problem when someone like Scottie Pippen says he wants to make a comeback. Every other retiree gets dug up as an option.

IS THERE ANY CHANCE DAVID ROBINSON CAN COME BACK FROM RETIREMENT AND REJOIN THE SPURS FOR THE REMAINING GAMES?
– Sonny Cantu, San Antonio

See what I mean?

No, I wouldn’t count on David coming back. I think he likes his seat at the AT&T Center exactly where it is – across from the Spurs’ bench.

Right now Dallas is playing on another level than most teams, maybe except the Spurs. What will it take for San Antonio to beat Dallas in the post-season?

An injury to Dirk Nowitzki would help.

The Mavs are playing out-of-this-world for a reason. They’re talented, well-coached and extremely deep. Pop told me he thinks they’re better than the Detroit team the Spurs faced in the 2005 Finals – and he said that two months ago, which, I think, might be the last time they lost.

BUT, I still think the Spurs can compete with them. I wouldn’t pick them to win the series, not based on what I see now. But I certainly wouldn’t count them out.

This is what the Spurs have going for them: Tim, Manu and Tony are all playing at a high level. If the role players can provide adequate support, that should take them pretty far.

If someone (like Francisco) can at least make Dirk work for his points that would help considerably because it would free up Bruce to guard Josh Howard. I’m still not convinced the Spurs (or anyone else) have that person.

Why don't the Spurs play like in the ’05 season where they dominated everything? What has changed? Is it age?
– Julian, New Jersey

I can unequivocally confirm the Spurs’ age has changed since 2005.

If Tony hits Tim on a nice pick and roll and Tim gets fouled -- Tony gets an assist if Tim makes his free throws, right? What if Tim only makes one?
– Charlie, Merrillville, Ind.

First off you’re making a big leap to assume Tony actually passes the ball. But if he indeed does, he still doesn’t get an assist for Tim going to the foul line, no matter how many free throws he makes.

I’ve often thought the assist was a skewed stat. If the object is to score and your pass directly led to your team scoring – regardless of whether the points came at the foul line -- shouldn’t that count as an assist?

Here’s another problem: If Tony drives into the lane kicks the ball out to Brent, who then swings a pass to Fin, who drills an open 3-pointer, Brent gets the assist not Tony. Sometimes the most important pass is not the one that preceded the basket, but the one that led to the pass that preceded the basket. After all, Tony was the one who collapsed the defense with his penetration, which, aside from Fin making the shot, was the most critical play on the possession.

The same thing applies to Tim drawing a double-team in the post. Sometimes he kicks the ball directly out to an open shooter. Other times, he kicks it out to someone on the perimeter, who then passes it to another shooter. In both scenarios Tim was primarily responsible for creating the scoring opportunity, but in only the first is he credited with an assist.

After re-reading my reply, I probably just confused you more. But to answer your question in a single word: No.

(Always good to see the fine folks of Merrillville, Ind., are reading. Pop went to high school in Merrillville and I used to date a girl that worked for one of the local papers up there. She once showed me a photo from their archives of Pop in his high-school uniform. He wore No. 21. How strange is that?)

The Spurs are a team that have a huge amount of successful experience when it comes to playoffs. Would it be correct to assume that their regular-season numbers (wins-losses) become totally irrelevant when/if they reach the best-of-seven game?
– Mike Spence, Wellington, New Zealand

It would be correct to assume regular-season win-loss records are irrelevant for every team when the playoffs begin. The Spurs have long said they’re built for the playoffs, and there’s truth to that. But they’ll definitely feel better about their chances if they continue to play the way they have the past few weeks and not how they did in January.

Regarding Melvin Ely, I've read, here in this space, that perhaps the Spurs signed him strictly to save some cash. With his contract being up at the end of this season, how are they ever going to properly evaluate this kid if they don't get him onto the court?

Also, how do the Spurs plan on addressing the glaring need for a defensive-minded small forward to back up Bowen? I know Gerald Wallace has been mentioned here (love that idea). It puzzles me why the Spurs have waiting so long to address this issue.

Assuming they finally seek to upgrade this position, is it safe to assume the either Finley or Barry (or both) won't be back next year? I hope so.
– Lon, Dallas

Fin and Brent both thank you for the support.

Fin can decline the third-year option in his contract and become a free agent this summer. Unless the Spurs completely bottom out and his minutes drop substantially, I don’t see him doing that. And if he keeps shooting the way he has the past few weeks I don’t see the Spurs bottoming out or his minutes dropping.

Brent will be in the last year of his contract, so his trade value will go up. But it’s a little early to start talking about dealing guys until we see how the team does in the playoffs.

I never wrote the Spurs signed Melvin strictly to save money. I said they brought him in as an insurance policy for their other big men. The fact he slightly reduces their luxury tax penalty aided in that decision.

I also wouldn’t call him a kid. He’s been in the league for five seasons and he also attended college for four or five years.

The Spurs are trying to improve their playoff seeding, so until they’re locked into a specific position it doesn’t make much sense to evaluate bench players if the guys in front of them are better equipped to helping the team win now.

As for finding an athletic small forward, that will continue to be a priority. Yes, the Spurs blew the Josh Howard/Barbosa draft, but they have tried to address that need. They just haven’t been too successful.

When they passed on Howard that summer, I think they thought they’d be able to re-sign Stephen Jackson. The following year, they tried to move up in the draft to get Dorell Wright. In the 2005 draft, they tried to get another first-round pick to get Joey Graham or another swingman. Last summer, Ronnie Brewer was among the players they liked, but they couldn’t land a first-round pick.

They also have brought in a few players like Linton Johnson III and Melvin Sanders, who didn’t pan out.

When Nazr Mohammed signed with Detroit last summer, finding a center became Priority No. 1. DeShawn Stevenson later became available after he regrettably turned down Orlando’s offer. But by then he needed to find a team that could give him as many minutes as possible so he could increase his stock and re-enter the free-agent market again this summer. (I also think the Spurs would benefit by finding someone longer than the 6-5 Stevenson.)

Of course, trying and doing are two very different things. But either through the draft or free agency – both of which are expected to have deeper talent pools than last year – I fully expect them to address that need this summer. Finally.

I am a Lebanese citizen, fan of the Spurs since 1994. For the first time since six years, I feel the Spurs won’t be able to make it past the Mavs or the Suns.

Could it be possible that they sign up a veteran -- Steve Kerr-caliber, to strengthen the rotation? The bench of Dallas is way better than the spurs. Thank you for informing me if there are any trade rumors in the air.
– Michael, Lebanon

Well, there aren’t any trade rumors because the trade deadline has passed.

Pop said the roster is “set,” but I learned a long time ago to never say never. I certainly didn’t expect the Spurs to sign Glenn Robinson a couple of seasons ago.

So, yes, there’s always a chance the Spurs could sign someone.

But they’d also have to waive a player to make room on their roster.

And you can pretty much cross Steve Kerr off the list. He’s got too good a life going to come out of retirement.

If (and when) we meet Dallas in the playoffs, how important is a healthy Francisco Elson to the Spurs’ chances? The way that I see it Elson seems to be our best option when it comes to defending Dirk Nowitzki and this then leaves Bruce Bowen free to guard Josh Howard.

It was promising how Elson played Dirk during the Spurs November encounter and I'm sure that Pop noticed the same thing.
– Gene, San Antonio

I think a healthy, productive Elson will be very important just as I mentioned above and for the same reasons you just wrote. But I’m not yet ready to classify him as a Dirk Stopper given his performance in the season opener.

For one thing, that was when the Mavs were off to their 0-4 start. They’ve obviously improved since then. And while I’m sure Pop noticed the same things from that game we all did, he was so impressed he played Francisco only eight or nine minutes in the teams’ next meeting.

You are right about this: Right now he seems to be the Spurs’ best option to throw at Dirk.

I know everyone has given Fabricio the nickname Fab. But since the first time I watched him play in a Spurs uniform the name that kept coming out of my mouth when i was cheering him on was Fabreez!!! Ha, what’s the possibility that this name will catch on?
– Mo Shideed, Cairo, Egypt

Would you be offended if I said, “There is absolutely no chance Fabreez will catch on”?

But feel free to keep using it.

Why are you so good at basketball?
– Davy, San Antonio

My vertical leap is off the charts.

Can you name all the spurs coaches and their specific jobs?
– David Reyes, San Antonio

We’re going to go ahead and eliminate Pop because I’m assuming you know about him.

Mike Budenholzer – He’s probably Pop’s most trusted assistant and has been with him the duration of his tenure. You’ll also see Mike working with some of the guards after practice.

Don Newman – He worked under George Karl before joining the Spurs. Great guy, well-liked by the players. He works a lot with the big men.

Brett Brown – He’s the team’s director of player development, so he assists a lot with the younger players. I also call him Bruce Bowen’s personal coach.

Chip Engelland – He’s the shooting coach. Spends a lot of time with Tony and Fab.

P.J. Carlesimo – Aside from yelling “First bus!” at the end of road practices and shootarounds, I have no idea what this guy does.

I have become a huge fan of Mr. Butler. I really believe that he has the potential to become the next Moses Malone.

This will bode well for the SPURS in the future with Tim getting a bit older. Keep this guy, he's going to pay huge benefits, possibly as soon as next year.
– Dick Boyle, Sarnia, Ontario, Canada

Now these are the emails that amaze me. How has anyone seen enough of Jackie to become a huge fan of his? He didn’t even play THAT much in New York.

I actually feel bad for Jackie. He’s a perfect candidate for the D League, but he’s not eligible to be sent down because he’s in his third season. He also could get some playing time on a young roster, but on a team trying to win now, he’s probably going to sit.

As much as I’ve panned this signing, it was hardly a cap-crippling deal. He’s due to make a little more than $2 million next season and then the Spurs don’t have to pick up his third-year option. That’s not a huge price to pay for a young big man with good hands.

Plus, there’s always the chance he could develop into something more if he improves his work ethic. I’m not betting on that happening with the Spurs, but you never know.

Pop, I'm a big Spurs fan but I have concerns about winning the close games against good teams, there is something missing. Where is that shutdown defense?
– Al Liechty, Mission Viejo, Ca

Um, the Spurs entered Tuesday’s game against Portland having held four of their previous seven opponents to a season-low point total. And a fifth, Houston, made a 3-pointer in the closing seconds to avoid its low.

So if you’re still searching for that “shutdown defense,” I recommend directing your eyes to the court.

Why does Pop wear a tie at some games and not for other games? I thought the NBA had a "dress code.”
– Elvin, San Antonio

The NBA does have a dress code, but I’ve never heard of ties being part of it, only sports jackets.

Pop wears ties at home games, not on the road. My theory is this saves him some hassle when he’s packing.

Why is Hillary Clinton shown prominently and partisanly on the Spurs? Go Spurs Go. Begone Clinton Begone.
– Thea Mooney

I normally avoid mixing politics with my sports copy, but this is too bizarre to pass up. Does anybody know what this means?

By the tone of this question, you’d think the Spurs were wearing a picture of Hillary on the back of their jerseys. I will say this: The majority of the team would probably prefer that over the mug of the current office holder.

Did the Spurs try to make a trade for anyone before the deadline? Why didn't they try to get Corey Maggette?
– Michael Andrade, Del Rio

Remember it takes two to tango when it comes to trades. The Spurs obviously had interest in Maggette, but our intrepid NBA reporter, Mike Monroe, says his West Coast spies told him Clippers owner Donald Sterling nixed any Barry-Beno deal even before it was officially on the table.

There were a handful of other teams interested in Maggette with better packages to offer than the Spurs, and he still didn’t get dealt. So that should tell you something.

(By the way if I ever see Monroe use the phrase “My spies tell me” again in his copy, I’m hitting him on the head with his laptop. Is there a more over-used, self-serving sentence in today’s blogosphere NBA? You’d think the league was being run by the KGB from some of the stuff being written. Is the word “sources” not sexy enough anymore?)

E-mail Johnny Ludden at [email protected]

Slomo
03-10-2007, 04:19 AM
P.J. Carlesimo – Aside from yelling “First bus!” at the end of road practices and shootarounds, I have no idea what this guy does.
:lol

WalterBenitez
03-10-2007, 05:23 AM
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer
Pop said the roster is “set,” but I learned a long time ago to never say never. I certainly didn’t expect the Spurs to sign Glenn Robinson a couple of seasons ago.
E-mail Johnny Ludden at [email protected]

This man really knows POP :reading

Bruno
03-10-2007, 05:28 AM
:lol It's maybe oen of the funiest (and best) Ludden's mailbag.

Fin can decline the third-year option in his contract and become a free agent this summer. Unless the Spurs completely bottom out and his minutes drop substantially, I don’t see him doing that.

Brent will be in the last year of his contract, so his trade value will go up.

:spin Barry will be again in trade rumors this summer and especially if Finley stay with Spurs. He is the new Rasho (minus the bad contract).

As for finding an athletic small forward, that will continue to be a priority

Melvin Sanders

:rolleyes Since when a 6'3" player can be a SF ?

Of course, trying and doing are two very different things. But either through the draft or free agency – both of which are expected to have deeper talent pools than last year – I fully expect them to address that need this summer. Finally.

It's too soon to get an athletic swingman, Spurs should wait another couple of years.

Plus, there’s always the chance he [Jackie Butler] could develop into something more if he improves his work ethic. I’m not betting on that happening with the Spurs, but you never know.

At worst, Butler will eb an expiring next year and Spurs cna trade him in the same kind of deal that they have done with Williams.

Clippers owner Donald Sterling nixed any Barry-Beno deal even before it was officially on the table

So we know now that Spurs have enver been closed to get Maggette. There are no regrets to have with the Maggette saga.

Clutch20
03-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Kent in Atlanta
An injury to Dirk Nowitzki would help

NNNoooooooo!
Not, the blonde-haired wienerschnitzel!
It, to me, would be a cruel fate to if Spurs don't get to play DNow.
You don't want him to play, your neighbors here is SA don't want him to play, a poll taken here would probably say the same thing that an injury to DNow is at the top of their want list, but
No NO no, no no!
If Dirk's out, then moi is boycotting the playoff's
I'll turn the cable box off and watch Dirk and DalMavFans crumple offa my dvd burns from '03 and '05.
(yeah, sure!!)

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I’ll let Pop blow me up in front of 19,000 strangers every day for that kind of paycheck.

I'd expect that kind of talk from TPark. But a reporter? Kinda weird.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
First off you’re making a big leap to assume Tony actually passes the ball.

Ludden is from Argentina? :wow

Kori Ellis
03-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Ludden is from Argentina? :wow

He's just mocking the normal people who write in and say Tony doesn't pass.

T Park
03-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Remember it takes two to tango when it comes to trades. The Spurs obviously had interest in Maggette, but our intrepid NBA reporter, Mike Monroe, says his West Coast spies told him Clippers owner Donald Sterling nixed any Barry-Beno deal even before it was officially on the table.

There were a handful of other teams interested in Maggette with better packages to offer than the Spurs, and he still didn’t get dealt. So that should tell you something.

Guess this puts a crimp in the front office haters arguements...

ShoogarBear
03-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I'd expect that kind of talk from TPark. But a reporter? Kinda weird.Yeah, that was a dangerous sentence.

He's gotten really good at the mailbags, though.

LEONARD
03-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Regular season streaks mean nothing...

leemajors
03-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Regular season streaks mean nothing...

BAM!

Kori Ellis
03-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah, that was a dangerous sentence.

:lol Yeah, I misread it at first.

boutons_
03-10-2007, 01:21 PM
"you can't count on remaining hot from downtown"

The Spurs live and die by the 3G.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-10-2007, 01:25 PM
He's just mocking the normal people who write in and say Tony doesn't pass.

Yeah, I was too :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Guess this puts a crimp in the front office haters arguements...

Right. We always hear the truth from the local media when it comes to the Spurs :rolleyes

T Park
03-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Right. We always hear the truth from the local media when it comes to the Spurs

So now Mike Monroe a national writer who writes for the SA on the side is a lier?

Amazing how you guys use the media selectively.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
"you can't count on remaining hot from downtown"

The Spurs live and die by the 3G.

I disagree. San Antonio only "lives" by the 3 when opposing teams choose to clog the paint in an effort to stop Tim, Tony, and Manu from scoring in the paint. In that instance, they pick their poison and choose to give the Spurs open looks outside... and then, yes, we have to hit those open shots. But as long as their giving a team with shooters (and we definitely have them) lots of open looks, we're gonna hit a lot of them.

But if the opposing team plays a more balanced "straight-up" defense, we're going to attack the basket more than anything else, and 3's will be taken only when the opportunity presents itself.

The statement "The Spurs live and die by the 3G" seems to suggest that the Spurs just sit outside and shoot bombs all day. Nothing could be further from the truth on a team with Tim, Tony, and Manu.

Again, the Spurs will take whatever the other team gives them. If that's single coverage on their big-3... then they're going to the rim. If they clog the paint, the Spurs will shoot the 3's.

But the Spurs do not "live and die" by the 3-ball.

T Park
03-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Spurs didn't live and die by the three against sacramento.

Portland was only becasue they left those guys WIDE open.

boutons_
03-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Can somebody find the 3G % in Spurs wins and in losses?

I've noted many times that Spurs often shoot 3Gs very poorly in losses, but I'm not going to research 60 games. I don't know any site that lists one page the Spurs' schedule with the team stat line per game.

timvp
03-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Can somebody find the 3G % in Spurs wins and in losses?

The Spurs shoot 40.5% in wins and 31.7% in losses.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-10-2007, 04:58 PM
So now Mike Monroe a national writer who writes for the SA on the side is a lier?

Amazing how you guys use the media selectively.

The Spurs obviously had interest in Maggette, but our intrepid NBA reporter, Mike Monroe

Monroe writes nationally on the side, SA first and foremost. And again, when's the last time anyone on the Express-News payroll wrote the truth about the front office dealings and still had a job at the end of the week?

Kori Ellis
03-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Monroe writes nationally on the side, SA first and foremost.
Correct.
I believe Express-News is his only job these days. He might right an occassional guest column elsewhere, but he's not a "national" writer per se like he used to be before coming to SA (when he wrote for Fox Sports).

T Park
03-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Monroe writes nationally on the side, SA first and foremost. And again, when's the last time anyone on the Express-News payroll wrote the truth about the front office dealings and still had a job at the end of the week?

amazing how, when Ludden reported the SPURS turned it down, you ripped the fo.

Now when something is written to the contrary of the first thing written, now you can't believe the writer.

Unreal.

Clutch20
03-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I think we'd have to continue to hit timely 3's as we've done in the past few games of this streak.
Unfortunately, you can't count on remaining hot from downtown, which is why this team reminds of earlier Spurs squads who've been knocked out early. Live by outside shooting, die by outside shooting.
Now that's the only part that scares me, don't want to see that.

Clutch20
03-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Now that's the only part that scares me, don't want to see that.
But then again, there were the '03 and '05 playoff games that were won by perimeter shots made.
Kerr earlier
Horry later

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-10-2007, 08:19 PM
amazing how, when Ludden reported the SPURS turned it down, you ripped the fo.

Now when something is written to the contrary of the first thing written, now you can't believe the writer.

Unreal.

Tfart, do you even follow how this front office works? It's easily believable that the Spurs turned down the Maggette deal. Now that they have, it's easy to roll out a tired story about the Clips never having been interested to sate the ignorant masses in case we get beat in the playoffs again (when everyone knows the weakness of this team is the senior citizens on the wing).