PDA

View Full Version : Can't We All Just Get Along?... Giving Up Well Deserved Props

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Alright... I have healthy rivalry-fueled hatred for the Mavericks, but this thread is about giving the other team their props. This is a chance for Spurs fans to be honest about how good the Mavs are, and for Dallas fans to be honest about the Spurs. This thread is all about the love.

So I'll start...

While I don't like Mark Cuban (and that's an understatement) you have to respect what he's done there. I am a fanatical Spurs fan (from having lived 4 years in SA in the early 90's), and I am just as avid an Atlanta Braves fan. I heard a rumor not too long ago that Cuban might have been in the mix to buy the Washington Nationals, and that got me thinking. As much as I can't stand seeing Cuban's face in the stands... I found myself wishing that he had bought the Braves (sale pending to mega-corp, Liberty Media, unfortunately).

Cuban is quite possibly the best owner in the NBA. Ouch... damn it hurt to say that.

I also think Avery Johnson deserves coach of the year honors again this year. Any Mavericks fans miss Don Nelson? Okay, you can stop laughing now... that wasn't a serious question.

Dirk would also be my pick for MVP this year.

I think the Spurs and Mavs, if a playoff series started tomorrow... well actually, let's make it a week from now (to let T.Parker heal)... I think it would be every bit as close as last year's series. My gut is leaning toward the Spurs, but that may be because I see so much more of them than the Mavs.

Anyway, there you have it. My props to the Mavs. Hell of a team. It'll be fun if/when there's a post-season rematch this year (and I believe there will be).

Part of me_perhaps out of a sense of obligation_feels as though I should wish Mavs' fans good luck... but my good will only goes so far. =)

T Park
03-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Fuck the mavericks.

Why should we be civil?

"Pacifism failed dude" - Walter :)

exstatic
03-10-2007, 06:12 PM
I dislike, but respect most of the Mavs players, but Cuban is a hopeless tool that I will never like or respect. He's an idiot that should have fired Nelson a LONG time before he did. They might have a trophy by now if he had. Nelson puts a fun team on the floor that folds in the post season, every year.

You'll also notice that the Mavs never were serious contenders until they hired a Spur to coach them. :smokin

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Fuck the mavericks.

Why should we be civil?

"Pacifism failed dude" - Walter :)

You're the kind of guy that might slash an opponents tires on the way back out to your car after a competetive round of team Scrabble... aren't you? :lol

san antonio spurs
03-10-2007, 06:14 PM
the only mav player I like is DIOP.
Others can kiss my rear.
And that cuban guy, what a tool
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

sa_butta
03-10-2007, 06:14 PM
To answer your question...
NO we cant. And I really have nothing nice to say about the Mavs.
That is all.

aaronstampler
03-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Dirk is the only Mav I don't strongly dislike. I can honestly say I wouldn't want any of their other players in a Spurs uniform, including Howard. He's always rubbed me the wrong way.

stretch
03-10-2007, 06:41 PM
I can honestly say I wouldn't want any of their other players in a Spurs uniform, including Howard.

you must be insane. if you swap Bowen for Howard last season, the Spurs would have finally won a back-to-back, and would probably be winning it all this season as well.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Okay... I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy yet.

spursreport
03-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Dirk is the only Mav I don't strongly dislike. I can honestly say I wouldn't want any of their other players in a Spurs uniform, including Howard. He's always rubbed me the wrong way.

As much as I hate the Mavs, I would give up my left nut to get a guy like Dirk, Howard or Diop on our team. Anybody who can help my team win the championship, I will take in a heartbeat. I am to the point to where I could give 2 shits about character off the court. As long as you are helping the team on the court, I will be a supporter.

T Park
03-10-2007, 06:47 PM
You're the kind of guy that might slash an opponents tires on the way back out to your car after a competetive round of team Scrabble... aren't you?

no im not, but why should there be a warm fuzzy feeling.

Screw, the, mavericks....

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-10-2007, 06:51 PM
no im not, but why should there be a warm fuzzy feeling.

Screw, the, mavericks....

I was kidding. Not really looking for warm and fuzzy interchanges. I just think mutual respect is in order.

sprrs
03-10-2007, 06:54 PM
As much as I hate the Mavs, I would give up my left nut to get a guy like Dirk, Howard or Diop on our team. Anybody who can help my team win the championship, I will take in a heartbeat. I am to the point to where I could give 2 shits about character off the court. As long as you are helping the team on the court, I will be a supporter.

You would take Artest?

ShoogarBear
03-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Mark Cuban is a hideous embarrassment. If he bought the Spurs, we'd cancel our season tickets.

T Park
03-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I just think mutual respect is in order

Why?

Who cares?

spursreport
03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
You would take Artest?

If Artest had a bloated Steve Francis type of contract with several years on it, not a chance. But with this current contract situation fuck yes. Despite his fuckups, I want a hard nose tough mother fucker who gives players hard fouls and will get in there face and talk shit. I am sorry but I hate that the Spurs dont have that anymore.

T Park
03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Despite his fuckups, I want a hard nose tough mother fucker who gives players hard fouls and will get in there face and talk shit. I am sorry but I hate that the Spurs dont have that anymore.

Yeah more wife beaters and animal abusers

HERE HERE!!!!

aaronstampler
03-10-2007, 07:31 PM

That's really pathetic. I don't even understand you desperate longing for a championship like you're some cursed Cubs fan. WE WON TWO YEARS AGO. And after winning it all with character guys I wouldn't ever want to do it any other way now.

Clutch20
03-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Kent, commendable, this thread and what you're attempting to do here certainly has merit. Funny and weird interactions can occur at this site, given the nature of electronic bb's and posting sites, chat rooms et al. Those that would "give the love" to the opposition end up not posting at all. Those that are opposed to giving props will speak their minds in very clearly and strongly. I find myself somewhere in the middle, searching for the fortitude to say nice positive things about the DalMavs. Then the junkyard dog in me takes over, straining at the leash of goodwill and positivism. Guess which wins out?
Well, here's the best I can do, considering that the yapper in me is barely restrained right now...............

The level and intensity of reactions from both camps, whenever there's controversy or disagreements about superiority, indicates that both teams are extremely talented and laden with warriors that will fight the good fight, regardless of the distractions that will occur.

Shit, I still feel like I gave Spurs - 49.9 % props
DalMav - 50.1 % props
Maybe with time, I'll learn to be a magnanimous fan such as yourself.
WOOF!

Extra Stout
03-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Howard? He singlehandedly would solve most of the Spurs' problems.

spursreport
03-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah more wife beaters and animal abusers

HERE HERE!!!!

Fuck what they did off the court. I care about what they do on the court.

monosylab1k
03-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Mark Cuban is a hideous embarrassment. If he bought the Spurs, we'd cancel our season tickets.

Wow, that means all of you would have even more time to gorge yourselves on chimichangas.

ShoogarBear
03-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot. The other pathetic part of the Mavericks is Mav Fan.

BigBinBigD
03-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Duncan's probably the best, most consistent player I've seen in a long time. But I do hate his constant palms-up, "Who me?" BS. He acts sometimes like he know the rules better than the refs. (And no, he doesn't.)

Manu is a stud when he's on.

We've clearly tried to build our team out of the Spurs mold. That is the ultimate prop.

And the Spurs scare me much more than the Suns. There, I said it. It's just that a Helter-Skelter, no D in crunch time team can't beat this year's Mavs I don't think. But good D, coaching, and crunch time execution can always keep you in it. God I hate saying that. I want the Mavs to win this year SO FUCKING BAD I can't stand it!!

I do have to admit, Cuban is huge embarassment, though. He does alot of things well. But almost every one of them could be done without constantly having to be the center of attention. Plenty of people on these boards rave about him. But noone I talk to personally can really stand him or the way he acts.

monosylab1k
03-10-2007, 08:00 PM
That Matt Bonner is one motherfucker of a player. Props.

baseline bum
03-10-2007, 09:13 PM
I hope they flame out of the playoffs twice as badly as last year this time around.

td4mvp21
03-10-2007, 09:17 PM
I hate the Mavericks with a passion, yet I respect them a lot. Reluctantly.

aaronstampler
03-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Howard? He singlehandedly would solve most of the Spurs' problems.

I never said he can't play, I just said I don't like him.

xamila rey
03-10-2007, 09:22 PM

Cuban is quite possibly the best owner in the NBA. Ouch... damn it hurt to say that.

I also think Avery Johnson deserves coach of the year honors again this year. Any Mavericks fans miss Don Nelson? Okay, you can stop laughing now... that wasn't a serious question.

i want what u had.
it has to be certainly very strong...hehehehe :blah

slayermin
03-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Imagine what Pop and RC could do with a $100 million payroll. It would be unfair.

boutons_
03-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Fuck Kent
Fuck Cuban
Fuck the Mavs
Fuck the Mavs trolls
:)

SRJ
03-10-2007, 10:53 PM
At this point in my life as a fan, I have reached the point where I don't really hate opposing teams - I would just rather see the Spurs win.

I don't like the personality of specific players, and as such I root against them, but the Mavericks don't have any of those players. I do find Jason Terry annoying, but I don't dislike him. Stackhouse bothers me a little.

But that's a hell of a team they've got up in Dallas, and if the Spurs could go through them and get #4, it would be the best ring of them all for my tastes.

pking
03-10-2007, 10:59 PM
At this point in my life as a fan, I have reached the point where I don't really hate opposing teams - I would just rather see the Spurs win.

I don't like the personality of specific players, and as such I root against them, but the Mavericks don't have any of those players. I do find Jason Terry annoying, but I don't dislike him. Stackhouse bothers me a little.

But that's a hell of a team they've got up in Dallas, and if the Spurs could go through them and get #4, it would be the best ring of them all for my tastes.

Stack bothers me A LOT, and I'm a huge Mavs fan. :lol

I respect the hell out of the Spurs and am terrified yet excited for that matchup in the playoffs.

Dalhoop
03-11-2007, 08:05 AM
A lot of backhanded complements going on ... You know, these Spurs fans are starting to sound like Cuban "I like the way Wade shoots freethrows". It really is funny.

My turn.

I wish the Mavs would be like the Spurs in the following ways -

1) I think the Mavs would have been a better team, and never would have suffered through the early 90's, if they had the Spurs luck with the lotto balls. We lost all those games and never got the #1 Pick .... The Spurs crap a season (Barely) and land Duncan. Thats some great luck :)

2) I think that the Mavs would have been a better team if they are ever able to get planiular fashitis (?Spelling?). I mean gezzz, a man gets that and his numbers jump into the stratoshere. Another example of the Mavs bad luck :)

3) I think that the Mavs would be a better if they learned from the Spurs example. You see, Dallas has its own polluted river. You see, our parade route didn't include the river .... We should add it to the route :)

cherylsteele
03-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Imagine what Pop and RC could do with a $100 million payroll. It would be unfair.

Yeah..we could sign people like Ron Artest and really mess up the chemistry. I not so sure money would make as much of a difference as you think. The Spurs usually bring in players of good character, and to some of them money isn't everything so it seems. Besides with salary cap you can only spend do much.

monosylab1k
03-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Stack bothers me A LOT, and I'm a huge Mavs fan. :lol

I love the Mavs but I can't stand Stack.

Not so much his behavior, I just can't stand his game. As great as he can be sometimes, when his brain turns into "i'm the superstar" mode this team is fucked. He'll shoot us out of at least one or two games in the playoffs that would should have won otherwise.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-11-2007, 11:49 AM
i like a lot of you mavs fans

and yes, howard would solve all our of holes this season

adrienne
03-11-2007, 12:14 PM
What is so funny to me is that...outside of the trolls...Mavs fans are actually fine with and respect the Spurs (generally). I'm not quite sure why Spurs fans all think someone on the Mavs slept with their girlfriend and ran over their dog.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-11-2007, 12:16 PM
What is so funny to me is that...outside of the trolls...Mavs fans are actually fine with and respect the Spurs (generally). I'm not quite sure why Spurs fans all think someone on the Mavs slept with their girlfriend and ran over their dog.

Actually, they think Mavs fans slept with their dog and ran over their girlfriends. :lol

T Park
03-11-2007, 12:24 PM

come to a game in San Antonio.

And youll see why I hate the shitheads so much.

td4mvp21
03-11-2007, 12:27 PM
come to a game in San Antonio.

And youll see why I hate the shitheads so much.

:tu

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Fuck Kent
Fuck Cuban
Fuck the Mavs
Fuck the Mavs trolls
:)

No thank you.

adrienne
03-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I said "Spurs" and "Mavs", not "Spurs fans" and "Mavs fans".

LilMissSPURfect
03-11-2007, 02:25 PM
:spam: :cheer :cheer :cheer :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

Despot
03-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I'll give them their props,
The Mavs are a great regular season team this year,
just like the Pistons 64 ,Spurs 63, mavs 60, Suns 54, Heat 52 last year;
like the Suns 62, Spurs 59, Heat 58 and mavs 58 in '05;
the Pacers 61, Wolves 58, Spurs 57, Lakers 56, Kings 55, Pistons 54, mavs 52 in '04;
the Spurs 60, mavs 60, Kings 59 in '03;
the Kings 61, Spurs 58, Lakers 58, mavs 57 in '02;
the Spurs 58, Lakers 56, 76'ers 56 in '01
of course the lakers won 67 in '00 and won the 'ship,and the spurs won in '03, so maybe the mavs have a chance.

My dream scenarios for this playoffs, second option is only if first option in not destined to happen:

First option: Spurs win the Championship

Second option: I hope the Mavs win the first 15 games of the playoffs, only to go on and lose the last four.