PDA

View Full Version : Charley Rosen Mailbag: Mavs great in regular season

Vingianx
03-10-2007, 10:38 PM
can find full article here: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6553870

Given the Mavs three streaks of 12 or more consecutive wins, would you consider them one of the all-time great regular season teams? Or is the NBA just overloaded with weak competition? — Nick, Shippensburg, PA

The Mavs are certainly what you suggest they are — one of the best all-time great regular season teams. However, this designation won't mean squat if they don't win the championship.

Your second query is likewise right on — there are a bunch of weak sisters in the league. If Dallas played only Utah, Detroit, San Antonio, and Phoenix their record would be much diminished. But the Mavs can only play (and beat) those teams that are on their schedule.

Back in 1971-72 when the Lakers set their record of 33 straight wins, their victims included Buffalo and Portland, a pair of expansion teams. And when the 76ers won 68 games in 1966-67, only three of the league's ten teams finished with winning records. A look at the Bulls' foes when they won 72 games in 1995-96 reveals that Toronto and Vancouver were expansion teams.

Note that the Lakers, the 76ers, and the Bulls all won titles.

Having been a long time Spurs fan, I find your takes on defense particularly relevant when watching my team. What do you think about the Spurs' defensive play over their last ten games or so? Are they ready to mount a serious challenge to the Suns and the Mavs for supremacy in the Western Conference? — Alfredo Fiallo, San Antonio

I, too, have been impressed with the Spurs recent defensive efforts. They simply find a way to make stops when they need to.

And if they're not ready now, they will be in six weeks.

The Spurs should peak during the playoffs for several reasons: Their elderly core of players won't be as taxed since there are no back-to-back games. The traveling is much easier than during the regular season. They know how to gear up when the rings are on the line.

Psst! Here's a secret, Alfredo. But you have to promise not to tell anybody.

I think because the Spurs play far better defense than the Suns, and better defense on a more consistent basis that the Mavs, that San Antonio will represent the west in the Finals.

ducks
03-10-2007, 10:39 PM
wow

SRJ
03-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Shit, Rosen likes the Spurs chances.

This is the worst news I've heard about the Spurs since the combination of the phrases "Nick Van Exel" and "expanding his playoff minutes".

CubanMustGo
03-10-2007, 10:46 PM
This is the same Charley Rosen we always say sucks, right? :lol

Vingianx
03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
i was reading and couldn't believe what he said.. :lol

ShoogarBear
03-10-2007, 11:23 PM
We're doomed. :madrun

td4mvp21
03-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Didn't he pick us to win Game 7 of the 2005 Finals? Or was that Woody Paige, another Spurs hater?

Clutch20
03-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Charlie..the Rosen?
Aw helno, did he...say....what?????????
lemme see.......shit.......
please, don't jinx us media guy!

stretch
03-11-2007, 12:23 AM
there are a bunch of weak sisters in the league. If Dallas played only Utah, Detroit, San Antonio, and Phoenix their record would be much diminished. But the Mavs can only play (and beat) those teams that are on their schedule

that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. if San Antonio only played Dallas, Phoenix, Utah and Detroit for 82 games, their record would be quite diminished also. Same for Phoenix, Utah, and Detroit as well. I have never heard such shitty logic in my life.

leemajors
03-11-2007, 01:24 AM
that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. if San Antonio only played Dallas, Phoenix, Utah and Detroit for 82 games, their record would be quite diminished also. Same for Phoenix, Utah, and Detroit as well. I have never heard such shitty logic in my life.

begging the question.