03-11-2007, 09:03 AM
New York (8)

:smokin

T Park
03-11-2007, 11:48 AM
:lol

ABDENOUR POWER
03-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Keep it up, Knicks! I want the pick from Orlando to be as high as possible. :)

CubanMustGo
03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
New York (8)

Isiah T. for CoTY ...

:vomit:

1Parker1
03-11-2007, 01:13 PM
New York (8)

:lmao

Memo to Timvp:

Sixers: 7 game win streak. 4 games behind NY.

:princess

I'm still sticking by it. Knicks won't make the playoffs. Bet's not over till the last game is played. Don't get over-excited too early, Mr. Timvp.

timvp
03-11-2007, 01:26 PM
You acted like I was crazy to insinuate that the Knicks had a shot to even be in the playoff hunt. In the playoffs with 80% of the season over is noteworthy accomplishment.

:music

1Parker1
03-11-2007, 01:32 PM
You acted like I was crazy to insinuate that the Knicks had a shot to even be in the playoff hunt. In the playoffs with 80% of the season over is noteworthy accomplishment.

:music

Just this month alone they have two games against Dallas, one against the Cavs, and another against the Raps. I think that should put them out of the playoff hunt in and of itself.

And I still think you were crazy to insinuate the Knicks would make the playoffs. The meltdown of the Nets is the only reason they're even 8 right now.

We shall see, Timvp. If the Knicks make it to the playoffs, I will change my signature to whatever you choose. Perhaps even a "Timvp is Genius" sig. :fro

But of course if you're wrong....

angel_luv
03-11-2007, 01:36 PM
I thought Orlando was currently number 8?

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

It's okay Parks. I didn't think the Knicks would make the play offs either or even be this close.

Kori Ellis
03-11-2007, 01:39 PM
I thought Orlando was currently number 8?

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

It's okay Parks. I didn't think the Knicks would make the play offs either or even be this close.

I think NBA.com didn't update their standings last night. It has the Spurs record wrong too.

Look on ESPN.com - it is accurate.

Marklar MM
03-11-2007, 01:42 PM
As Kori said, it is not updated. Knicks won yesterday, but they have them with a losing streak.

angel_luv
03-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Ah! That makes sense. Thanks. :)

Amuseddaysleeper
03-11-2007, 02:03 PM
hahaha

i like this little wager between 1parker1 and timvp

I think the Knicks will hang on to the 8th seed

Kori Ellis
03-11-2007, 02:05 PM
hahaha

i like this little wager between 1parker1 and timvp

I think the Knicks will hang on to the 8th seed

It stems from this thread ...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52809&highlight=bold+predictions

Some things he was way off base :lol

angel_luv
03-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Raptors are doing even better than I said they would in that thread. :fro

timvp
03-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Raptors are doing even better than I said they would in that thread. :fro
Yeah, you got me on that one. :toast

timvp
03-11-2007, 02:52 PM

It was a high percentage for such bold predictions.

http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif

:hat

whottt
03-11-2007, 02:58 PM
The way the Pacers are dropping the Knicks might even take the seventh seed.

Isiah is also making Larry Brown look seriously over-rated as a coach.

angel_luv
03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Yeah, you got me on that one. :toast

:) :toast

Amuseddaysleeper
03-11-2007, 03:32 PM

:lol :lol

good call on sam mitchell, amare, and bron bron timvp!

but seriously, I woulda thought you were insane at the time you felt the knicks would make the playoffs, especially with isiah at the helm

so you def. deserve props for that one

exstatic
03-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Isaiah's weakness has never been coaching. He's just terrible in the front office, if it doesn't involve the draft. If Dolan were smart, he'd retain him as coach, and fire him as GM.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Isaiah's weakness has never been coaching. He's just terrible in the front office, if it doesn't involve the draft. If Dolan were smart, he'd retain him as coach, and fire him as GM.

I disagree

Remember the Pacers? They were always a bust come playoff time when he had them. The only time they did anything decent in modern years was when Bird was coach.

So I think he's a terrible coach but certainly a crappier GM

1Parker1
03-11-2007, 04:18 PM
:lol :lol

good call on sam mitchell, amare, and bron bron timvp!

but seriously, I woulda thought you were insane at the time you felt the knicks would make the playoffs, especially with isiah at the helm

so you def. deserve props for that one

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. There's still plenty of basketball to be played. I think by the end of the month, Knicks may be out of the playoff race still. :nope

1Parker1
03-11-2007, 04:21 PM

So far you are 2 out of 9 correct. :p:

But the Derron Williams prediction was good. :tu

Amuseddaysleeper
03-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. There's still plenty of basketball to be played. I think by the end of the month, Knicks may be out of the playoff race still. :nope

haha

nah, the east blows so badly I think the knicks can hang on.

They'll ride momentum and scrape their way through

Watch them have a mirror showing from the 1999 playoffs

I'm sure you are pretty pleased with the Sixers play as of late

1Parker1
03-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm sure you are pretty pleased with the Sixers play as of late

Hell yea! I'm so pleased, I'm actually considered buying tickets for the Jazz game this Friday. :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
03-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Hell yea! I'm so pleased, I'm actually considered buying tickets for the Jazz game this Friday. :lol

I live in Toronto so for me its great to see the Raps playing decent ball as well

Yay for hometown mediocrity!

exstatic
03-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I disagree

Remember the Pacers? They were always a bust come playoff time when he had them. The only time they did anything decent in modern years was when Bird was coach.

So I think he's a terrible coach but certainly a crappier GM
Well, he actually did make the playoffs, and looks like he might pull of a miracle and take the Knicks there this year. To me, that doesn't say "terrible". YMMV.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, he actually did make the playoffs, and looks like he might pull of a miracle and take the Knicks there this year. To me, that doesn't say "terrible". YMMV.

he made the playoffs but they choked in the first round

also the pacers were always a solid team and bird had no problem taking them far in the playoffs

i give him props for his current knicks stint (though i always felt the team underachieved with all the talent they have) but I refuse to even call him a "decent" coach

He was a great player, but has no business running/coaching a team

picnroll
03-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Right now it looks like Thomas is doing a better job of GMing than Bird though neither has burned up the tracks. Thomas does do a nice job of drafting though.

exstatic
03-11-2007, 05:32 PM
I would rate Zeke as follows:
1) Fantastic young talent scout.
2) Average to slightly above avg. coach.
3) Dreadful NBA deal maker and FA evaluator. If there's an attitude case who makes too much money, or wants to, Zeke will trade for him or sign him.

ShoogarBear
03-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Speaking of overrated, how are the great Bird-McHale-Ainge triumverate holding onto their jobs? All three teams are on a straight path to suckage.

ShoogarBear
03-11-2007, 05:36 PM
BTW, I'll take some credit for bringing up the Knicks in the playoffs possibility.

1Parker1
03-11-2007, 07:24 PM
BTW, I'll take some credit for bringing up the Knicks in the playoffs possibility.

Why? I don't recall you making that prediction.... :madrun

ShoogarBear
03-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Why? I don't recall you making that prediction.... :madrunhttp://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52804&

I didn't straight out make the prediction; I presented the possibility.

1Parker1
03-11-2007, 07:54 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52804&

I didn't straight out make the prediction; I presented the possibility.

You said either the Knicks or the Warriors will make the playoffs.....not both :smokin

timvp
03-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Why? I don't recall you making that prediction.... :madrun

Few can stomach crazy.

:fro

whottt
03-11-2007, 08:18 PM
And I'll take some credit for Isiah is a great talent scout...in fact I remember what seemed to be a boardwide pileon when I first mentioned it after the Nazr trade.

Something to remember about his GM abilities...he didn't have an edict to trim payroll.

I mean..don't you think he'd be fired right now if he did?

Ditto 50 million thrown away on Brown...

Ownership was behind that all the way.

And he did get the Knicks to the post season his first year as GM after missing them for a couple of years.

You can't run up that kind of payroll without owner approval. You just can't.

You still aren't going to see a typical NBA rebuild from the Knicks...they have highest ticket prices in the league...you can't sell a small market rebuild to the NY fan. That's the one thing that will hurt their attendance. Losing doesn't....

1Parker1
03-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Few can stomach crazy.

:fro

:rollin

How do you like the fact that Shoogarbear and now Whott are trying to steal your thunder..?

ShoogarBear
03-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Never happened.

timvp brings the thunder down from the skies.

timvp
03-11-2007, 09:37 PM
:rollin

How do you like the fact that Shoogarbear and now Whott are trying to steal your thunder..?

There's no point in blazing a trail if others don't utilize it.

ShoogarBear
03-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah, when I think of basketball knowledge, I think of trail blazers.

timvp
03-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah, when I think of basketball knowledge, I think of trail blazers.

They will make the playoffs in 2009-10.

Book it now.

:drunk

1Parker1
03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
They will make the playoffs in 2009-10.

Book it now.

:drunk

:lmao Around the same time as the Knicks...

Amuseddaysleeper
03-12-2007, 01:14 AM
I would rate Zeke as follows:
1) Fantastic young talent scout.
2) Average to slightly above avg. coach.
3) Dreadful NBA deal maker and FA evaluator. If there's an attitude case who makes too much money, or wants to, Zeke will trade for him or sign him.

I can agree with most of that :tu

nkdlunch
03-12-2007, 09:06 AM
This just proves how bad the East sucks. it's not really that the knicks are any better.

I mean come on, the suck ass Wizards were on top of the east until a couple of weeks ago :lol

Slo spurs fan
03-12-2007, 03:06 PM
East won 2 of last 3 championships.

AFBlue
03-12-2007, 04:44 PM

I live in Toronto so for me its great to see the Raps playing decent ball as well

Yay for hometown mediocrity!

At least Toronto smarted up and actually fired their jackass GM. The Hawks (live near Atlanta) have a sorry GM, 5 incredibly talented players that all play the same positions so it's impossible for them to be on the floor and be decent, and no discernable PG or C. It's sad...pathetic even. You think the Hawks could borrow Colangelo when you're done with him?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I used to live in atlanta (roswell to be specific) and yeah, the hawks management is incredibly frustrating.

the only upside was that you could always get great seats for such cheap prices

Rynospursfan
03-12-2007, 06:18 PM
I think the Knicks will go 8-11 in their last 19 finishing 37-45. They have to play the Mavs twice, Cavs twice, Pistons and Bulls each once and Raptors three times. Will that be good enough to make the 8 seed in the Leastern Conference? I sure hope not.

whottt
03-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Side Note:

Isiah got a contract extension

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2795257

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 06:45 AM
I used to live in atlanta (roswell to be specific) and yeah, the hawks management is incredibly frustrating.

the only upside was that you could always get great seats for such cheap prices

I'm not sure what is considered "cheap", but I think they've raised ticket prices in the past few years despite the abysmal record. The reason is that the Hawks are a very marketable team with the superstar (Joe Johnson), the highlight reel(s) (Josh Smith & Marvin Williams), the scrapper (Josh Childress), and the foreigner (Zaza Pachulia). I also think the ownership is trying to squeeze every penny out of the organization in case they're court-ordered to sell it back to Belkin....they want to make sure they maximize profit before being shown the door. It's really a sad affair.

In reference to ticket prices, when I went to the Spurs v. Hawks game it cost $80/ticket for first level, non-mid court seats (12 rows up)....so good, but not great seats for what I considered to be relatively expensive. Of course it was worth it to see the Manu show (24 straight points...).

wildbill2u
03-13-2007, 10:43 AM
The way the Pacers are dropping the Knicks might even take the seventh seed.

Isiah is also making Larry Brown look seriously over-rated as a coach.
I heard on the radio that the Knicks extended Isaiah's contract. Is he still GM as well? God, I hope so.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

boutons_
03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
March 13, 2007

Sports of The Times

Knicks Regain Mediocrity, and Thomas Gets the Glory

By HARVEY ARATON

Greenburgh, N.Y.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/03/12/timesselect/13moth-araton.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/03/13/sports/190-araton.jpg

Isiah Thomas shook hands with some of his many news media tormentors yesterday, accepting congratulations all around. Experience told him the truce was temporary and wouldn’t last long.

He was nonetheless grateful to breathe the mild mid-March air, bask in the fresh job security that provides him the opportunity to continue in these fragile and, chances are, doomed relationships.

“It’s a sick part of me,” he said. “Something about me that draws me to that, that wants to do it, put up with the torture that comes along with New York.”

Thomas has always cast himself as an embattled survivor of mean streets, of long odds for an undersized overachiever in the land of the giants. Now he has slipped the posse of critics that not so long ago seemed to have him on the run, out of town — at least for the foreseeable future.

History tells us that the Knicks and their minions eventually get the best of the well-paid mercenaries who dare to lead them. Nobody escapes the fact that there hasn’t been an N.B.A. champion in New York for 33 years. But Thomas, playing by rules adjusted this season for serious deflation, was rewarded yesterday for merely making the Knicks functional again, and fun.

Not great. Not even good, by most reasonable standards. Just not bad — or what they were last season, an embarrassment.

“They look like a team, playing for each other,” James L. Dolan, the Madison Square Garden strongman, said in explaining why he handed Thomas, the coach and team president, a multiyear contract extension of undisclosed length two months short of the time he said he would decide Thomas’s fate.

That’s Dolan, once again proving himself to be a premature negotiator, getting ahead of himself when all he had to do was announce that Thomas would return next season. He’s earned that much.

From mid-December on, from Stephon Marbury’s length-of-the-floor dash to beat the Utah Jazz, the season has been a blur of wild, inelegant battles to the buzzer, three months worth of March Madness. The Garden crowds have been enthusiastic, alive. Thomas’s team clearly crossed a competitive threshold some time ago, and just enough Eastern Conference teams have more recently gone into free fall to help the Knicks become the N.B.A. version of the lovable midmajor, making a push for the right to dream big, dance with the stars.

“If we get in, I want it all, not just a little piece of it,” Thomas said, while sitting a precarious eighth in the East, a half-game out of seventh, thinking along with the rest of us how beatable teams like Cleveland and Washington could be if the Knicks move up and avoid playing Detroit.

The bad news is that Jamal Crawford is out for the regular season, David Lee spent yesterday looking for a second opinion on his aching ankle, and it is entirely possible that the Knicks could lose a bunch and drop out of sight. That said, only those still feeding Larry Brown his bedtime milk and cookies would argue now that Coach Isiah hasn’t cleaned up much of the mess Brown made of the Knicks last season.

But let’s not forget it was Thomas who hired Brown, which might be his costliest move for the franchise during three-plus years on the job, and certainly was for the Dolan family fortune. On a personal level, it turns out now that Brown was the best thing ever to happen to Thomas. By restoring normalcy — or, if you will, mediocrity — after Brown’s 23-victory disaster, Thomas has guaranteed himself more money and a 2007-8 season without an “evident progress” mandate hanging over his head.

“I believe I earned it,” Thomas said. “I haven’t been gifted anything.”

How about the benefit of the doubt that he has the Knicks as currently constituted heading in the direction of the conference elite? When the evaluation process is expanded beyond the leap from last season to, well, five games under .500, it’s not quite clear where the Knicks are going, if anywhere, beyond the possibility of the first round of the playoffs.

As this season has evolved, there is no doubt that several of Thomas’s personnel moves have been cast in a more favorable (if not completely justifiable) light. Eddy Curry has become an offensive force on the low post. Marbury has resurrected himself under Thomas’s mentorship. Before he was hurt, Crawford became a big-shot maker, however ditzy his overall game. Lee has proved himself to be a 2005 draft-night heist.

Curry and Marbury stayed around after practice yesterday to express their delight over Thomas’s new deal, to say the Knicks now have everything they need to continue the climb. Thomas talked about the need for collective growth, about nurturing another All-Star to play alongside Curry.

Except Curry, a genuine low-post force, had too many flaws in other phases of the game and wasn’t selected as an All-Star this season. Unless Thomas can teach energy and high basketball I.Q., Curry may never be one. For all their progress, the Knicks remain a team without that one player you build around without blinking.

And what if they should plateau next season, win between 35 and 40 games again? What would that say about the totality of the Thomas regime after four and a half years? That he built one that was not bad, not embarrassing?

Even in that place of paranoia we call the Garden, it has been apparent for several weeks that the bar wasn’t raised all that high. It didn’t have to be for Thomas to fulfill this season’s demand.

His players responded. He’s coached well. But even Thomas said yesterday that they all “have a long way to go.” The mandate for “evident progress” should have gone with them, into next season.

E-mail: [email protected]

exstatic
03-15-2007, 12:04 AM
LJ

Knicks(10) :lol

Dolan gets a hard on and extends Isaiah when they briefly appear in the 8 spot. What a tool.

boutons_
03-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Nets are 7th with 35L, and Pacers and Knicks are 9th and 10th with 35L.

Along with Magic/36L, those 4 teams are fighting for 7th and 8th seeds. Could make for some uncommonly interesting EC games in the next couple weeks.

T Park
03-15-2007, 01:56 AM
No kidding.

Knicks, Magic, Pacers, Nets games are gonna be worth a crap to watch.

Who woulda thunk it.

boutons_
03-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Knicks +18 in first half, up 9 in 4th qtr, lose by 2 pts to NOK.

Knicks missed 3 shots in last 13 seconds.

On the last shot, Stevie inside the arc, passes up a 2G to tie, and dribbles out beyond the arc to try to win with a 3G. Knicks lose, drop to EC 10th.

1Parker1
03-16-2007, 11:05 PM
:nope Timvp a jinx? Noooooooooooo!

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Let's see how this works....

1. Be named GM of a team that's roughly 19th best in the NBA.

2. Bring in a bunch of overrated whiny players who don't even remotely buy into the philosophy of, or fit the coaching style of your veteran coach.

3. Coach and players predictably become disgruntled and disinterested and give up early in the season.

4. Team fades quickly to miserable lows in wins, effort, etc.

5. Take over as coach.

6. Bring in a couple of new players.

7. Fire up this still-mediocre group enough to claw their way up to appearing to be the 19th best team in the NBA during the middle of the season when a lot of teams are skating through their mid-year doldrums.

8. Impress the gullible ownership enough to get a multi-year extension for lots of guaranteed $jack.

Genius!!! Isiah Thomas is my hero.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-31-2007, 02:48 AM
tough loss for the Knicks

Do you still think the Knicks will get the final spot timvp considering they are just 2 games behind the lowly pacers (who play our spurs next)

1Parker1
03-31-2007, 08:38 AM
This is just sad. The bottom playoff spots in the East are a joke...and the Knicks are still 2 games behind the worst Pacers team since 1987 in the playoff race.

ShoogarBear
03-31-2007, 04:20 PM
The Knicks are doing this without Q-Rich (out for the season after back surgery), David Lee, and Jamal Crawford.