PDA

View Full Version : David Moore

redskinfan
03-11-2007, 10:20 AM
moderator: You mentioned the Spurs having a shot to win a title. They have quietly turned things around. Why are they playing so much better?

David Moore: San Antonio's defensive intensity has returned. Moving Manu Ginobili to the bench has paid dividends. He's getting big numbers off the bench and Brent Barry is doing some nice things as a starter. The Spurs know what it takes to win a title. They are the only contending team in the West that does. Winning another division title is less important to them than it is to the Mavericks. I think the Spurs are playing with a sense of urgency they didn't have earlier in the season. But those flaws we all saw when they were struggling remain. San Antonio still relies on a lot of older players and doesn't have the speed on the perimeter to match up with the Mavericks and Suns. That could be their undoing.

Did this guy used to be on ESPN as one of their experts? He is the one with the hairlip right? I saw this on dallasnews.com I dont know how to get the link but this is part of a Q&A

CubanMustGo
03-11-2007, 10:41 AM
I have no problem when people say the Spurs can't match up with the Mavs (though I beg to differ somewhat), but putting the Suns on that same plateau pisses me off no end. Gotdamned Phoenix has a losing record against the NBA's elite and they beat us back when we sucked. The Suns are having to pull Ws out of their ass against lousy teams lately and they're supposed to be all that?

stretch
03-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Gotdamned Phoenix has a losing record against the NBA's elite and they beat us back when we sucked.

yea, they are like 2-6 against the Mavs, Spurs, Pistons, and Jazz. The Mavs are like 5-3 against them, Spurs are 4-5, Pistons are 1-4, and Jazz are actually 8-2 (going 3-0 against the Suns, lol).

RonMexico
03-11-2007, 10:48 AM
I have no problem when people say the Spurs can't match up with the Mavs (though I beg to differ somewhat), but putting the Suns on that same plateau pisses me off no end. Gotdamned Phoenix has a losing record against the NBA's elite and they beat us back when we sucked. The Suns are having to pull Ws out of their ass against lousy teams lately and they're supposed to be all that?

The "elite" beat the Suns when they sucked - how is that any different? When the Suns sucked, they were a Raja Bell FT away from knocking your ass off at home in November, so get off your high horse.

Suns have games against Rockets and Dallas this week, so we'll pick up this debate again after Wednesday.

RonMexico
03-11-2007, 10:49 AM
yea, they are like 2-6 against the Mavs, Spurs, Pistons, and Jazz. The Mavs are like 5-3 against them, Spurs are 4-5, Pistons are 1-4, and Jazz are actually 8-2 (going 3-0 against the Suns, lol).

Those 5 Spurs losses must have come "when they sucked." Yeah, those Jazz losses are completely skewing/screwing the Suns over right now... think of how much closer they would be to Dallas if they had won those 3...

CubanMustGo
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Look at the recent results and laugh all you want, monkeyboy. We'll see what happens when the real season starts.

TwoHandJam
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Moore points out what I and others on this board have been saying for a while now. Our perimeter defense has not been addressed (and rebounding either for that matter) in the offseason and could well be our undoing.

Yes, our defensive intensity has returned but nothing will make Barry and Finley good perimeter defenders. Dallas will break these guys down off the dribble and put a lot of pressure on our interior defense. Elson is a huge question mark as is everyone else in the frontcourt outside of Tim and we all know what happens if he gets into foul trouble.

We are still the underdogs in a series against Dallas as far as I'm concerned because our offseason issues weren't properly addressed. I don't think the separation is that great but it is definitely there.

RonMexico
03-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Look at the recent results and laugh all you want, monkeyboy. We'll see what happens when the real season starts.

Ok, I looked. Suns are 9-1 since all-star break and their last two games have been weak. They blew out Indiana and they had a good game against the Lakers. Then they took OT to beat Charlotte and won by 1 against NO/OKC... yes, those were poor performances, but they did get the W they needed, so I can find some comfort in that.

T Park
03-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Why rag on Suns fan. They are like Piston fan. respectfull and been nothing but great friends :tu

CubanMustGo
03-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok, I looked. Suns are 9-1 since all-star break and their last two games have been weak. They blew out Indiana and they had a good game against the Lakers. Then they took OT to beat Charlotte and won by 1 against NO/OKC... yes, those were poor performances, but they did get the W they needed, so I can find some comfort in that.

Since ASG, both teams have played 5 home and 5 away games:

PHO 9-1 vs opponents playing .427 ball, average margin +9.0 PPG
SAS 10-0 vs opponents playing .466 ball, average margin +15.8 PPG

I'll take SA's recent play over PHO's, but after looking at the numbers I can see that the Suns are playing better than I gave credit. At the same time, I don't think said play puts them heads and shoulders above SA as do DMoore and his ilk.

exstatic
03-11-2007, 12:46 PM
We never "matched up" well with Laker squads, either. Still managed to beat them twice on our way to trophys. That's why they play the games.

Solid D
03-11-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/mugs/dmoore_mug.jpg

David Moore

Shank
03-11-2007, 01:51 PM

I'll take SA's recent play over PHO's, but after looking at the numbers I can see that the Suns are playing better than I gave credit. At the same time, I don't think said play puts them heads and shoulders above SA as do DMoore and his ilk.

Hollinger? Is that you? Because stats don't mean crap when you're still looking up at the Suns in the overall standings.

exstatic
03-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Hollinger? Is that you? Because stats don't mean crap when you're still looking up at the Suns in the overall standings.
Actually, those stats show it's only a matter of time. We're playing better ball against better teams. That's pretty relevant.

Clutch20
03-11-2007, 03:10 PM
!WOOF!
Don't get me started, his analysis looks like a copy and paste offa other coattail expert's write-ups, anybody got an update on SMarion's hand, or is it Bell's?

CubanMustGo
03-11-2007, 03:19 PM

Standings are much less relevant than stats when one team is playing better against better competition than the other at the end of the season. If you want to say who played better over the duration of the entire season, standings are your friend. If you want to say who is playing better now, recent stats are a lot better measure than W/Ls from 40-50 games ago.

CubanMustGo
03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
!WOOF!
Don't get me started, his analysis looks like a copy and paste offa other coattail expert's write-ups, anybody got an update on SMarion's hand, or is it Bell's?

Feel free to tell me what part of my argument doesn't reflect that SA is at least playing on the same level as PHO over the last ten games. Or, prove that the opposite is true. Since you can't all you can do is bitch about the fact that I actually did some research to back up my opinion.

pking
03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Spurs the underdog against the Mavs in a series? I don't see it that way at all.

RonMexico
03-12-2007, 02:14 AM

To his credit, I just think he was saying the Spurs perimeter players don't have the speed to keep up with the Suns at similar positions - he obviously doesn't take into account the Duncan/Ginobili/Horry playoff factor.

sabar
03-12-2007, 03:25 AM

Yes, because how well teams did 3 months ago means a lot in the playoffs, am I right? :rolleyes

George Gervin's Afro
03-12-2007, 07:37 AM
What's the worry? IF we ended up playing the Mavs all of the pressure would be on them. All of the pundits would be picking them to roll over the Spurs. The Mavs also know that if they do not win that series their history setting season will just be a footnote and they would continue to wear the choker labels tightly around their necks. Being a Spurs fan I would much rather be the underdog and start this series on the road.