PDA

View Full Version : Comedian Richard Jeni killed himself

Shelly
03-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Boy...I've been a bearer of good news here...

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtml

Richard Jeni Dead: Comedian Found Shot, Self Inflicted?
By Jack Ryan
Mar 10, 2007

Richard Jeni, one of Comedy Central's Top 100 Comedians of All Time, is dead. According to police, Jeni was found dead presumably from a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Saturday, March 10, 2007. A loaded gun was reportedly found next to his body.

His website, richardjeni.com, has gone dark (except for a grayed-out logo) and the story is still developing. More information will be made available when we hear it. SHECKYmagazine.com & Extra are also reporting the death.

The word being whispered -- among more than one party close to the deceased -- throughout the comedy grapevine is that Richard Jeni simply chose to end his life.

Jeni was in his West Hollywood, CA apartment. He had reportedly been scheduled to perform at the Chicago Improv last night, but cancelled several weeks ago.

It is said that he chose to take his life because he was ill. We could speculate, but out of respect for Richard and his family we will not.

Autopsy results are expected soon. We will offer further information as it becomes available.

Richard Jeni was an American stand-up comedian. He was raised in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York.

Jeni first received recognition through a series of Showtime stand-up specials and frequent appearances on The Tonight Show.

HBO brass noticed Jeni's talent, and he was soon picked up for his first appearance on the coveted HBO Comedy Hour in 1992, entitled Richard Jeni: Platypus Man. The show received critical acclaim, and Jeni would return for two more shows.

scott
03-11-2007, 11:26 AM
RIP, Platypus Man

sa_butta
03-11-2007, 11:28 AM
RIP

http://www.corporateartists.com/images/richardjeni.jpg

AlamoSpursFan
03-12-2007, 09:22 AM
"Wore my stump out laughing at that guy!" -- RJ

R.I.P. Rich. Thanks for the laughs.

KEDA
03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Sounds like his women shot him and then reported it as a suicide.

Kurt Cobain forum.

R.I.P. Richard Jeni

DirkAB
03-12-2007, 01:35 PM
RIP.

I liked his stand up.

PM5K
03-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Interesting, he either suffered from being one of those comedians who was really funny and personable in public, but obviously much more troubled in private, either that or his girlfriend did it, I wonder who gets all of the money he's made over the years?

I saw a special about comedians that said they can make up to 250K for a one hour special on a pay television network like HBO...

I love his PMS and wine bit, it's on YouTube...

T Park
03-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Shame, Jeni was a funny mfer.

mardigan
03-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Sad...

MrChug
03-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Jeni was brilliant. One of the very few standups where my sides really hurt.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Interesting, he either suffered from being one of those comedians who was really funny and personable in public, but obviously much more troubled in private, either that or his girlfriend did it, I wonder who gets all of the money he's made over the years?

Well, there's rumors/reports that he was terminally ill, so he gave a large amount of his money to charity and then just decided to kill himself.

ChumpDumper
03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
One of the last things I did with my brother was watch Jeni at the Paramount. He was as funny as he ever was.

RIP.

Chagus
03-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Boy...I've been a bearer of good news here...

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtml

Richard Jeni Dead: Comedian Found Shot, Self Inflicted?
By Jack Ryan
Mar 10, 2007

Richard Jeni, one of Comedy Central's Top 100 Comedians of All Time, is dead. According to police, Jeni was found dead presumably from a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Saturday, March 10, 2007. A loaded gun was reportedly found next to his body.

His website, richardjeni.com, has gone dark (except for a grayed-out logo) and the story is still developing. More information will be made available when we hear it. SHECKYmagazine.com & Extra are also reporting the death.

The word being whispered -- among more than one party close to the deceased -- throughout the comedy grapevine is that Richard Jeni simply chose to end his life.

Jeni was in his West Hollywood, CA apartment. He had reportedly been scheduled to perform at the Chicago Improv last night, but cancelled several weeks ago.

It is said that he chose to take his life because he was ill. We could speculate, but out of respect for Richard and his family we will not.

Autopsy results are expected soon. We will offer further information as it becomes available.

Richard Jeni was an American stand-up comedian. He was raised in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York.

Jeni first received recognition through a series of Showtime stand-up specials and frequent appearances on The Tonight Show.

HBO brass noticed Jeni's talent, and he was soon picked up for his first appearance on the coveted HBO Comedy Hour in 1992, entitled Richard Jeni: Platypus Man. The show received critical acclaim, and Jeni would return for two more shows.

This sucks. I thought he was hilarious. He didn't have to to rely on vulgarity to be funny. It was intelligent comedy. This sucks.

Trainwreck2100
03-13-2007, 12:52 AM
I wonder if Carlos Mencia will decide to honor him, and use Jeni's material for his show. Only he won;t tell anybody.

ObiwanGinobili
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I wonder if Carlos Mencia will decide to honor him, and use Jeni's material for his show. Only he won;t tell anybody.
you actually made me laugh out loud.

speaking of: so did Chris Rock last night on Letterman talking about Jeni. :lol
I could almost visualize Jeni doing the exacty same thing.. but that sort of irreverance didn;t go over well with the in house audiance.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Well, there's rumors/reports that he was terminally ill, so he gave a large amount of his money to charity and then just decided to kill himself.He must have been sick. Did you see that photo with him a Chris Rock? I'm assuming that it's a recent photo, and he doesn't look that great at all.