PDA

View Full Version : NBA reportedly investigating Bryant elbow

ggoose25
03-12-2007, 10:51 AM
PHILADELPHIA -- Is the NBA looking into another wayward elbow from Kobe Bryant?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2795315

According to a story in the Philadelphia Daily News, citing an NBA source, the league is looking at an elbow Bryant threw in the direction of Philadelphia's Kyle Korver late in the first half of Friday's game.

Bryant caught Korver near the neck with his left elbow on a drive to the hoop, The Associated Press reported Saturday.

Bryant was suspended for one game last week for an elbow that hit the fact of Minnesota guard Marko Jaric. He also received a suspension earlier this season for an elbow to the face of San Antonio's Manu Ginobli.

Korver said Saturday in Indianapolis: "I didn't think it was that big a deal. I thought it was an offensive foul. After I saw it on replay, it looked a lot worse than I thought it was during the game. It all happens fast. It's no big deal. It's just part of the game."

-------------

Kobe is turning into pure filth. :oink

TonyParkerSux
03-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Just my man ttrying to create a little space to manuver. Korver shouldn't be so close up in his grill if he doesn't want to catch one of those...

Medvedenko
03-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I heard about this....funny how the NBA is investigating after a nationally televised game...only to possibly suspend him for a regional one. Pure BS again by the L. Also, didn't Mutombo just elbow somebody where the guy almost got knocked out.
Yeah, but Kobe is pure evil.

Dirk41MVP
03-12-2007, 11:26 AM
kobe is dirty

lurker
03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Imagine if they suspended Shaq every time someone caught an elbow from him.

shelshor
03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I heard about this....funny how the NBA is investigating after a nationally televised game...only to possibly suspend him for a regional one. Pure BS again by the L. Also, didn't Mutombo just elbow somebody where the guy almost got knocked out.
Yeah, but Kobe is pure evil.
Think it was a concussion for the Celt's Delonte West

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Geez, the league is managing the impossible. I actually feel a little bad for Kobe Bryant. Was that Stern's daughter he got with in Colorado? Stu Jackson's maybe? I'd have no problem with them making a high profile example of him if they were bothering to actually enforce it anywhere else in the league.

It's the same problem I had with their initial attempt to curtail the after the whistle jawing with the refs. They let the problem grow unchecked for too long and their knee jerk reaction is to slow it down with brick walls instead of speed bumps. Kobe didn't just start doing this a few months ago.

Taco
03-12-2007, 12:15 PM
No video?

TonyParkerSux
03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
No video?

it has been in fairly heavy rotation on espn.

Medvedenko
03-12-2007, 01:29 PM
It's pure BS...just be consistant. That's all I ask. If any shot over the neck is warranted of a suspension, than so be it. Just be consistant.

fitzgerald
03-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I can't find the video. Anyone have it somewhere? Like someone said earlier, Shaq gets a way with elbows that are way more dangerous. Shaq is constantly pounding people with his elbows. Been doing that for years. Now they want to crack down? Malone was the worst. He would lead with his knee.

LakeShow
03-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Kobe has a contract out on WHITE players!!!
:rolleyes Pitiful what some people will say. This league has turned into a pussy league.

FromWayDowntown
03-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Kobe was given a retroactive flagrant 1, but will not be suspended:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2795315

Updated: March 12, 2007, 3:45 PM ET
Bryant assessed flagrant foul for elbow in PhillyBy Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant is not and was not at risk for another suspension after elbowing Philadelphia's Kyle Korver.

League sources told ESPN.com that the incident was reviewed strictly to determine whether Bryant would be retroactively assessed a flagrant foul after his left elbow connected with Korver in L.A.'s 108-92 road defeat Friday night.

That review, sources said, was completed Monday and reclassified the hit as a Flagrant 1 foul, Bryant's first flagrant foul of the season.

In his first game back from a one-game suspension after landing an elbow to the face of Minnesota's Marko Jaric, Bryant extended his elbow as he tried to dribble away from Korver on the perimeter. No foul was called on the play.

The league does reserve the right to reclassify fouls or non-calls as flagrant fouls following a video review. But if this incident had been subject to a possible suspension,

NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson would have rendered a ruling before the Lakers' next game. Bryant was cleared to play in their 108-72 home loss to Dallas on Sunday night.

Yet he remains under close scrutiny, in the media and from the league office, after receiving a pair of one-game suspensions in 2007 for stray elbows.

In both of those cases -- first with San Antonio's Manu Ginobili, then with Jaric -- Bryant made contact by flailing his arms after a shot attempt. No foul was called by game officials on the Ginobili play; Bryant was whistled for an offensive foul after catching Jaric.

"As players, we know during a game when someone is trying to hurt you or be mean, and I never thought that was what was happening," Jaric told ESPN.com last week. "So I'm really surprised by [the suspension]. I haven't seen the replay, but if you ask me what I thought about the play when it happened, I don't think he did it intentionally, and I don't think players should be suspended for things that happen unintentionally. I think he was trying to draw a foul, and he swung his hand out to make it look dramatic, and he hit me by accident. He apologized right after."

Korver offered similar sentiments to the Philadelphia Daily News in response to Friday's incident, saying: "I didn't think it was that big a deal. I thought it was an offensive foul. After I saw it on replay, it looked a lot worse than I thought it was during the game. It all happens fast. It's no big deal. It's just part of the game."

Even though the Korver play has been deemed a flagrant foul, Bryant is not in immediate danger of being suspended based on accumulation of flagrant-foul points.

Players receive one point for a Flagrant 1 foul and two points for a Flagrant 2 two, with suspensions starting when a player's total exceeds five points. Yet in spite of his two suspensions, Bryant's total now sits at one point.

Following the Jaric incident, which occurred just over a month after Bryant's tangle with Ginobili, Jackson told ESPN.com: "We considered suspending [Bryant] for multiple games. ... If this happens again, most likely, there will be multiple games.

"Since I've been here, I've not seen this type of conduct exhibited by a player -- driving his arm backwards and making contact above the shoulder -- I have not seen that."

ponky
03-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Geez, the league is managing the impossible. I actually feel a little bad for Kobe Bryant. Was that Stern's daughter he got with in Colorado? Stu Jackson's maybe? I'd have no problem with them making a high profile example of him if they were bothering to actually enforce it anywhere else in the league.

It's the same problem I had with their initial attempt to curtail the after the whistle jawing with the refs. They let the problem grow unchecked for too long and their knee jerk reaction is to slow it down with brick walls instead of speed bumps. Kobe didn't just start doing this a few months ago.

yup, there are several guys they could look at when it comes to this problem...it IS kind of weird how they've just decided to latch on to whatever kobe happens to do instead of trying to be consistent around the league with vaiours players.

DirkAB
03-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Kobe hates whitey. Miller, Manu, Jaric, and now Korver.

boutons_
03-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Manu isn't white. He's Italian who speaks Spanish. :)

Purple & Gold
03-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Everybody throws elbows. Kobe just flashes them a little high. I'm surprised he didn't get suspended. The league didn't want him missing that game against Dallas. If Lamar or Walton weren't hurt Kobe would've been suspended. They should show some consistency and they can start by looking at all the players. That's fine though, because as long as Kobe thinks the league is out to get him it's a plus for the Lakers.

CubanMustGo
03-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Can we go back and look at some tapes for Karl Malone? That bastard could be retroactively suspended/fined for a coupla years at least with all the 'incidental' elbows he threw.

LakeShow
03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Can we go back and look at some tapes for Karl Malone? That bastard could be retroactively suspended/fined for a coupla years at least with all the 'incidental' elbows he threw.

Add Drob to the list as well. He too was notorious for throwing elbows.

Lp26
03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
This is such bullshit. I'm not even a Lakers fan and this is completely ridiculous. Apparently only Kobe and his elbows are suspendable. Lebron can clothesline Wade. Mutumbo can give people concussions, and Shaq is fat so it's ok for him to toss ppl around w/ his elbows.

It really is funny how they didn't suspend him prob b/c the DAL/LAL game was on ABC. The league is so transparent, biased, and retarded.

They should just ban all contact. Suspend a player if he touches another one. That would be interesting to watch. :rolleyes

peskypesky
03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I think Kobe should be forced to play with pillows strapped to his elbows. If he can't stop throwing elbows, even after two suspensions, then the league has to do what it needs to do to protect players. It's just sad. Kobes never had class, and he never will.

PhxDog
03-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Kobe has always thrown his elbows around; the reason it's catching up to him now is because his team sucks. (Well, that and the fact that he's been picking on whitey lately).

It's kind of like how the league is finally "watching" Bruce Bowen now that the Spurs are in third place. When they drop to fifth next year, Bowen might even draw a suspension or two. :dramaquee

RonMexico
03-12-2007, 08:14 PM

Agreed.

Haven't seen the Korver play, but the play on Jaric was a carbon copy of the Ginobili play, so there shouldn't be any surprise that he was suspended after that incident.

They really want to crack down on (a) elbows and (b) flailing to draw contact... I'm just wondering when flopping while giving yourself a fake ankle injury and fouling out a former MVP (Dirk on Duncan last year) will result in a foul/suspension... I'm just razzing you, Mavs fans!!

itzsoweezee
03-12-2007, 10:59 PM
first, the reason the league is cracking down on kobe is b/c he has a history of doing this.
second, kobe doesn't go after white players, he just goes after players he knows won't retaliate. i dare kobe to try to pull some of that shit w/ raja bell.
kobe is a hot-headed pussy.

Sacramental
03-12-2007, 11:40 PM
kobe bryant hits threes.

slayermin
03-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Hey Lakeshow, Larry David is Knicks Fan, isn't he?