PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Duncan's pass sets up big dunk

carina_gino20
03-12-2007, 11:27 AM
sorry if already posted....

gotta love Tim's humor...and no mention of manu's forgetfulness? what happened there anyway? did he arrive late or something?

Spurs notebook: Duncan's pass sets up big dunk

Web Posted: 03/11/2007 12:25 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News

When an adolescent Tim Duncan turned his athletic attention from swimming to basketball after Hurricane Hugo destroyed the swimming pool in which he trained in St. Croix, Magic Johnson was in his prime with the "Showtime" Los Angeles Lakers.

Duncan saw Johnson on television and dreamed of leading fast breaks.

On Saturday night, the Spurs' center did a fair impression of the Hall of Fame point guard when, on the dead run, he executed a hard bounce pass to Manu Ginobili that led to a powerful dunk that gave his team an 81-67 lead over the New Jersey Nets at the AT&T Center.

"I did watch a lot of Magic (growing up)," Duncan said after the Spurs finished off the Nets 93-77, "and I'm glad somebody is starting to notice that I'm starting to use his skills whenever possible."

Ginobili called Duncan's pass "a great one."

"He threw it ahead," Ginobili said. "I had the right timing to jump. You have to give him credit."

Duncan has proven a clever passer on the fast break in the past, but his passing skill usually goes unnoticed.

"I would like to get credit for that pass," Duncan said. "Otherwise, everyone is just going to say, 'Oh, Manu dunked it ... great.'" :lol

Spurs' forward Bruce Bowen admired Duncan's pass to Ginobili, but felt compelled to offer a counterpoint. Noting that a crosscourt pass that Duncan, a die-hard Chicago Bears fan, threw in his direction in the third period went 10 feet over his head, Bowen deadpanned, "I told him, 'Nice pass, Rex.'"
:lmao
Home sweeter home: The Spurs already have lost more games at AT&T Center than they did last season, but have begun to re-establish their home court as a hostile environment. They have not lost at home since the All-Star break, and have won their last six at the AT&T Center. Winning there after completing a 4-0 road trip was important, according to Duncan.

"It's always great to play at home," Duncan said. "That first one is always a good one to be in. It just feels different from being on the road to be in front of your home crowd. Especially since we've been playing so well on the road we didn't want to come back here and drop one and give up all that work we've done on the road."

Finley mark broken: Wisconsin senior Alando Tucker broke Michael Finley's career scoring record Saturday in the Badgers' victory over Illinois in the semifinals of the Big Ten tournament.

Tucker began the day one point shy of Finley's mark of 2,146 points. He passed it by making the first shot he attempted.

Finley called Tucker's cell phone at halftime of Wisconsin's game to congratulate him.

"I was hoping he would answer, but he didn't," Finley said.

Finley set his record in 14 fewer games than Tucker.

Caution prevails: Nets coach Lawrence Frank was encouraged by the play of forward Richard Jefferson in Saturday's game.

Jefferson returned to the Nets' lineup for Friday's game at Houston after missing 18 games following surgery on his right ankle. He showed no ill effects from the Friday game.

"It's great to have him back on the court," Frank said. "It's going to take him time to get his game, rhythm and timing back."

Old knees: Nets forward Cliff Robinson, who suffered a sprained left knee in the loss at Houston on Friday night, did not suit up against the Spurs. The second-oldest player in the league, Robinson, 40, said he wanted to rest the knee.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...k.3c6d9df.html

Sec24Row7
03-12-2007, 11:45 AM
sorry if already posted....

gotta love Tim's humor...and no mention of manu's forgetfulness? what happened there anyway? did he arrive late or something?

Spurs' forward Bruce Bowen admired Duncan's pass to Ginobili, but felt compelled to offer a counterpoint. Noting that a crosscourt pass that Duncan, a die-hard Chicago Bears fan, threw in his direction in the third period went 10 feet over his head, Bowen deadpanned, "I told him, 'Nice pass, Rex.'"
:lmao

Bruce also did a "fieldgoal" motion laughing at Tim when he was running back up the court after the pass...