PDA

View Full Version : Spurs bad apple?

raspsa
03-13-2007, 04:54 AM
After Dennis Rodman, was there any Spur who could be considered a bad apple? A player who was disruptive to the team or maybe required disciplinary action? Spurs would seem to be the choirboys of the NBA.

thekingrobert
03-13-2007, 05:02 AM
S-Jax for sure

tiga
03-13-2007, 05:14 AM
rasho?

No, not that I recall...

Thrill
03-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Wonder why S-Jax didn't shoot up any strip club parking lots here in S.A.? Maybe Because he had influences like D-Rob, Timmy, Kerr, Ferry, Willis, and Pop. Hope he does better for himself in GS or wherever he ends up next year.

RC's Boss
03-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Beno

Sec24Row7
03-13-2007, 09:04 AM
David Wingate comes to mind...

L.I.T
03-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Something wicked this way comes...Vernon Maxwell, 96-97, if I remember correctly.

raspsa
03-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I can only imagine how Pop would have dealt with Rodman. :nope

George Gervin's Afro
03-13-2007, 09:17 AM
David Wingate comes to mind...

Ahhhh 'The Gate'..does anyone remember him hitting a 3 pointer with a few seconds left in Game 5(?) of the 1993 Portland series. I can still see him rise up and knock down a 3.. I don't rememebr if we went on to win that game but I think it sent the game into overtime..

Thrill
03-13-2007, 09:18 AM

that was hilarious to see pop shaking his finger at Mikki Moore in the nets game. :blah :blah

50Bestspurever
03-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Sidney Green, dude used to hit on the other players wives.

Thrill
03-13-2007, 09:26 AM
P.J. Carlisimo, He's A Bad Mother Shut Yo Mouth

GoSpurs21
03-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Ahhhh 'The Gate'..does anyone remember him hitting a 3 pointer with a few seconds left in Game 5(?) of the 1993 Portland series. I can still see him rise up and knock down a 3.. I don't rememebr if we went on to win that game but I think it sent the game into overtime..I remember that shot, but the game was 5 in the second round of the 89-90 playoffs. I thought the game went into double overtime. It was Big Dave and the Ninja's rookies season.

You are thinking about game 4 in the 93 first round. I dont remember if that was Wingate also, but that was the loudest Spurs game I have ever been too.

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 09:42 AM
What was it with Antonio Daniels and pickup games here in SA turning violent?

wildbill2u
03-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Before Rodman, there were a number of players who's partying 'habits' shall we say, led to their demise as Spurs, even if the habits didn't become public knowledge. They were quietly traded away without comment.

Most did not fare well in their new environment either. I was always surprised that the Spurs weren't blacklisted by some GMs for trading damaged goods

Melmart1
03-13-2007, 09:51 AM
No mention of Rod Strickland?

FromWayDowntown
03-13-2007, 10:07 AM

Pop did deal with Rodman -- Pop was the Spurs' GM in the second year of the Rodman experience. And, in the end, we saw how Pop dealt with Dennis. He shipped him off to Chicago for Will Perdue and other considerations.

wildbill2u
03-13-2007, 10:23 AM
No mention of Rod Strickland?
Lots of folks think Strickland got shipped out because of the 'no look--no think' pass in Portland.

In reality it was a combination of two things:

1. His often expressed contempt for SA as a hick town.
2. His late night escapades in hotels which sometimes brought him to the verge of court.

He was one of the best PGs of his day, and I think the Spurs would have forgiven the bad pass in the playoffs a la Manu--shit happens--but he was a cancer on the team.

wildbill2u
03-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Wonder why S-Jax didn't shoot up any strip club parking lots here in S.A.?...
Self-preservation probably. Too many concealed carry permits in Texas and it seems like half of SA is strapped. Pull out a piece and you're shot to pieces.

tsb2000
03-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Lots of folks think Strickland got shipped out because of the 'no look--no think' pass in Portland.

In reality it was a combination of two things:

1. His often expressed contempt for SA as a hick town.
2. His late night escapades in hotels which sometimes brought him to the verge of court.

He was one of the best PGs of his day, and I think the Spurs would have forgiven the bad pass in the playoffs a la Manu--shit happens--but he was a cancer on the team.

That, and Rod Strickland was a drunk, all the way back to his DePaul days. Dude had no work ethic at all. :drunk

SenorSpur
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Back when I was living in S.A., I used to see Rocket Rod out on the party scene 100% of the time. Many times we'd hit several different scenes in the same night. He would be at every one.

In fact, one particular time as my friends and I were set to pay admission into a club, Rod and his crew walked up. Since I had just seen him at 2 previous clubs about 2-3 hours before, I looked at him and said, "Damn dude, you're making it hard for us. Give a brother a break".

He was so amused that he told the door person that we were all together and we all got in free - courtesy or Rod. He was a funny dude.

It was amazing what he could do on the court for all his late night shenanigans. One of the best finishers and rebounders from the PG position the league has ever seen. Never made the all-star team.

T Park
03-13-2007, 01:53 PM
20 million dollar talent

10 cent head.

Strickland if he had a brain, could've been a stud.

Taco
03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Dwayne Schinchtezwxyz (how Ever You Spell It)
Walter "butter Knife To The Throat" Berry

Taco
03-13-2007, 03:14 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/lopezblog/archives/2005/05/inbreeding_on_u.html

It was the 1988-1989 Spurs and I was a 26-year-old beat writer. The club went 21-61, which was bad enough. But it was the assortment of characters and escapades that made it unforgettable ...

Over the course of that year: Larry Brown's head all but exploded, given that he had never had a losing record in his life and was dealing with 21-61.

We had to evacuate a hotel in Indianapolis in the middle of the night because of a fire -- Dallas Comegys refused to leave his room until he dressed and packed all his clothes.

Alvin Robertson assaulted Walter Berry in the hallway of a hotel room on another trip, trying to stab Berry with a butter knife ... I saw the fight start as I was at the front desk of the hotel, watching a security camera capture it all on tape ...

Frank Brickowski punched Petur Gudmundson in the face during a practice, breaking his nose and blooding his mouth ... In Utah on another trip, Vernon Maxwell and Albert King got into a fight in the locker room just as I was entering the room ... Maxwell ripped off his jersey and tried to strangle King with it, shouting obscenities at King, telling him to do vulgar acts, to which King responded, "Why should I?" ... Brown got so frustrated with the assortment of do-nothings and has-beens he tried to talk George Gervin out of retirement ... among the really bad players on that squad -- Jerome Whitehead, Gudmundson, Scott Roth, Mike Smrek, Comegys ... I'm not saying that team gave up, but after a Thursday night game in Philly, we flew at 5 a.m. to Miami for a game the next day. Instead of going to the hotel for a nap, half the team rented a giant cigar boat and cruised Biscayne Bay, partying until it was time to get to Miami Arena ... Needless to say they got blown out ...

On another trip, Maxwell was told he'd better not miss another wakeup call. So he decided to stay out all night after a game at Madison Square Garden, pulling up in a cab at the front of the hotel just as coaches were boarding the bus ... Just remember, Astros fans, it could always be worse ...

whottt
03-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Strick did more than just drink...

Trust me on this one :smokin

Sense
03-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Ahh.. that point guard that was with the knicks, came to the spurs, then left to the rockets or something...

Forgot his name.

ShoogarBear
03-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Strick did more than just drink...

Trust me on this one :smokinThere was a rumor about him and another player's wife.

NASpurs
03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Ahh.. that point guard that was with the knicks, came to the spurs, then left to the rockets or something...

Forgot his name.Charlie Ward?

texbound
03-13-2007, 10:46 PM

Forgot his name.

umm, that would be Rod Strickland. Mo Cheeks was traded for him in the middle of the season.

Solid D
03-13-2007, 10:54 PM
There was also the Strickland dropped-towel incident....from his otherwise undcovered body.

ShoogarBear
03-13-2007, 11:11 PM
umm, that would be Rod Strickland. Mo Cheeks was traded for him in the middle of the season.No, actually that was Ward.

Although he sucked, I don't recall any bad appleism.

sprrs
03-13-2007, 11:14 PM
After Dennis Rodman, was there any Spur who could be considered a bad apple? A player who was disruptive to the team or maybe required disciplinary action? Spurs would seem to be the choirboys of the NBA.

Malik

Tek_XX
03-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Derek Andersen