PDA

View Full Version : Sorry about DalMav loss

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm indeed sorry about Dallas Maverick's loss to Golden State last night.

I'm sorry because:

They will learn from the loss
Sobering up is always good
Now they will substitute more often to give scrubs more gametime experience
Some quiet time away from reading their own media covers will bring reality back
MCube will use alot of the day reading anything about the game.
There's nothing more dangerous than a mad Avery Johnson:
(quote)
"It was a buffet of things," coach Avery Johnson said. "Pick one thing out, and I'd agree with you. We got outhustled, outworked, outconcentrated. We just didn't have it when we got to the arena."

I'm heartened because:

There was that injection from the self-doubt syringe
Older knees and joints got tweaked no doubt from Avery's "man up" blasts
Avery's looking for the "double" man up manual that Pop wrote back in '99
I saw that again that idea of that any team can beat any other team at any point in the season
What we think are meaningful games can instantly change to meaningless games depending on which side of the fence we're sitting on.
But most DalMav posters here claimed that keeping their streak intact was secondary to the whole season in scope.

Dallas ..............MIN
J.Howard ........23:59
D.Nowitzki.......28:15
E.Dampier........18:11
G.Buckner...... 35:18
J.Terry ...........27:15
D.Diop.............13:22
J.Stackhouse ..18:02
D.Harris ..........27:41
A.Croshere ......20:24
D.George ........1:55 0
P.Mensah-Bonsu 15:14
J.Barea........... 10:24
TEAM TOTALS
PERCENTAGES FG: 42.3% 3PT: 35% FT: 77.1% TEAM REB: 8 TOTAL TO: 23

Balanced minutes, Buckner got a lot of time, wondering about that.

raspsa
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Those numbers are modest; no real danger of wearing themselves out come playoffs..

I'm sorry because:

Some quiet time away from reading their own media covers will bring reality back
(quote)
"It was a buffet of things," coach Avery Johnson said. "Pick one thing out, and I'd agree with you. We got outhustled, outworked, outconcentrated. We just didn't have it when we got to the arena."

I'm heartened because:

I saw that again that idea of that any team can beat any other team at any point in the season
What we think are meaningful games can instantly change to meaningless games depending on which side of the fence we're sitting on.
But most DalMav posters here claimed that keeping their streak intact was secondary to the whole season in scope.

Dallas ..............MIN
TEAM TOTALS

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Got that idea from DaMav posters here that they aren't overworked cause of the bench being so deep, their main horses don't have to work that hard.
23 turnovers? I wonder how many of those translated to points for Warriors?

nkdlunch
03-13-2007, 09:54 AM
they lost to GS AGAIN!??!??!

damn, Pop needs to watch every single GS vs. Dallas game and show highlights to Spurs.

nkdlunch
03-13-2007, 09:55 AM
JTerry is not impressing me this season. He resembles Nick Van Exel in his later years. A couple of years more and he will be a liability

mabber
03-13-2007, 10:00 AM
JTerry is not impressing me this season. He resembles Nick Van Exel in his later years. A couple of years more and he will be a liability

JET is having the best season of his career. I guess you're not watching many Mav games. He may not impress you in general and that's fine but this is definitely his best overall season to date.

Kori Ellis
03-13-2007, 10:03 AM

He's putting up 16 and 5, shooting 47% (43 from 3) and has a good A/TO ratio. I'm not sure how much more you'd want from him.

mabber

I'm sorry because:

(quote)

I'm heartened because:

Dallas ..............MIN
TEAM TOTALS

Avery is trying to get Buckner back to where he was prior to his knee injury. He needs minutes and last night was a good opportunity for him to get a lot of minutes.

nkdlunch
JET is having the best season of his career. I guess you're not watching many Mav games. He may not impress you in general and that's fine but this is definitely his best overall season to date.

numberswise maybe but not in crunch time.

The times I've seen him, he often keeps the opponent team in the game with bricks and turnovers.

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 10:06 AM
they lost to GS AGAIN!??!??!

damn, Pop needs to watch every single GS vs. Dallas game and show highlights to Spurs.
Yeah, Pop does know Nellie, Nellie knows Dirk and Co., I'm like you wanting Pop and crew to sit down this morning and over tacos and diet coke replay that weakness-exposing matchup from last night.
But I really wonder if Pop really does stuff like that..........

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Avery is trying to get Buckner back to where he was prior to his knee injury. He needs minutes and last night was a good opportunity for him to get a lot of minutes.
Thanks mabber, answers my question.

FromWayDowntown
03-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Yeah, Pop does know Nellie, Nellie knows Dirk and Co., I'm like you wanting Pop and crew to sit down this morning and over tacos and diet coke replay that weakness-exposing matchup from last night.
But I really wonder if Pop really does stuff like that..........

It's pretty simple -- get a bunch of really, really athletic players and attack the Mavericks all night long, particularly on the second night of a back-to-back with a game against Phoenix looming.

mabber
03-13-2007, 10:26 AM

The times I've seen him, he often keeps the opponent team in the game with bricks and turnovers.

He's hit as many or more big shots in crunch time this season than any of his seasons with Dallas. Please give examples as I'm very confused as to what games you're talking about. I don't even recall the last time the Mavs played poorly in crunch time outside of the Laker game back in December.

Kori Ellis
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
It's pretty simple -- get a bunch of really, really athletic players and attack the Mavericks all night long, particularly on the second night of a back-to-back with a game against Phoenix looming.

Actually, I think it's more simple. I think Dirk was blinded by the GS uniforms. :)

LEONARD
03-13-2007, 10:39 AM
The Mavs have gone on streaks of 8, 12 (or 13?), and 17 after their last 3 losses. The loss to GS prior to the Suns game might be a good thing. Can't wait for tomorrow night...

Wow...just wow... :lol

He's putting up 16 and 5, shooting 47% (43 from 3) and has a good A/TO ratio. I'm not sure how much more you'd want from him.

hahaha...I love when Kori shoots down a delusional Spurs fan :fro

How much have you seen of him exactly?? :drunk

FromWayDowntown
03-13-2007, 10:50 AM
The loss to GS prior to the Suns game might be a good thing. Can't wait for tomorrow night...

The most important thing for Spurs fans should be that the Spurs continue to play good basketball, regardless of what anyone else in the West is doing. I think from a mental standpoint, it's important for the Spurs to play well at home tonight against the Clippers.

With that said, the Suns/Mavericks game on Wednesday is a hard one to call for me. On the one hand, if the Mavericks win, the Spurs will gain ground on Phoenix and keep hope alive for the #2 seed, which would be helpful. On the other hand, if the Suns win, the air of invincibility that has surrounded the Mavericks for the last few months will be eroded a bit.

And on top of that, if the Spurs keep going, they would finally be back atop both the Stein and the Hollinger rankings, which would be the sweetest thing ever.

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 10:59 AM
The most important thing for Spurs fans should be that the Spurs continue to play good basketball, regardless of what anyone else in the West is doing. I think from a mental standpoint, it's important for the Spurs to play well at home tonight against the Clippers.

With that said, the Suns/Mavericks game on Wednesday is a hard one to call for me. On the one hand, if the Mavericks win, the Spurs will gain ground on Phoenix and keep hope alive for the #2 seed, which would be helpful. On the other hand, if the Suns win, the air of invincibility that has surrounded the Mavericks for the last few months will be eroded a bit.

And on top of that, if the Spurs keep going, they would finally be back atop both the Stein and the Hollinger rankings, which would be the sweetest thing ever.
OK, then it sounds like a win/win situation Wed nite for Spurs, even with our own streak-risk game tonite, it's gonna be a great week!

bdictjames
03-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I hope a GS-DAL first round series will be underway

nkdlunch
03-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I hope a GS-DAL first round series will be underway

that would be awesome and very possible. Dallas out in 1st round :lol

FromWayDowntown
03-13-2007, 11:25 AM

I don't know that it's realistic to think that the Warriors will even put a scare into the Mavericks should GST qualify for the playoffs.

But I'm a believer in the idea that GST could actually get this done, even though they're really more than 1 game out of a playoff spot.

In terms of losses, the bottom of the West playoff chase looks like this:

LAL -- 31
DEN -- 31
LAC -- 33
SAC -- 34
NOK -- 35
MIN -- 35
GST -- 36

At first blush, that would make the Warriors' task seem really onerous. The Warriors make the playoffs only if they can make up 3-5 games in the loss column on Denver and the Clippers, while passing Sacramento and the Hornets (not taking into consideration any tiebreaking scenarios).

But, when you look at it in terms of games played, overcoming that margin doesn't seem so impossible, since the Warriors have played at least 2 more games than all of the other teams in that fight:

GST -- 66 games played
LAL -- 64
NOK -- 63
LAC -- 62
SAC -- 62
MIN -- 62
DEN -- 61

You could certainly argue that having games in hand tends to favor the team in the lead, but with the way those teams have been playing, the specter of having to play more games brings with it the chance to take more losses. I'm not going to bother right now to break down the remaining schedules for those teams, but the Warriors have at least some reason for hope. With the way the Lakers have played of late, it's not unrealistic to think that a team like the Warriors could climb as high as the #6 seed before all is said and done.

Shank
03-13-2007, 11:34 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! Climbing the fucking Internet power rankings means something? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

FromWayDowntown
03-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm less convinced about the Warriors qualifying for the playoffs having looked at their remaining schedule, though.

They have 16 left with 8 home and 8 away. Of those, they do have games against the teams that they're competing with for the last couple of playoff spots, including two with the T'Wolves at home, one at the Lakers, and one at Sacramento. But the other games they have remaining include: 2 vs. San Antonio (1 home, 1 away; both on the 2nd night of a back-to-back); 2 vs. Utah (1 home, 1 away); home for Washington; home for Phoenix; and home for Dallas.

FromWayDowntown
03-13-2007, 11:38 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! Climbing the fucking Internet power rankings means something? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

"Sarchasm" -- at its very, very best.

http://sarchasm.net/

LEONARD
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
hahaha...I love when Kori shoots down a delusional Spurs fan :fro

Thanks for not letting me down... :lol

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 11:55 AM
To many people, yeah, it's a PR tool, but Spurs stopped paying attention to their own clippings and "power" rankings ever since '99 when DRob answered hometown media reporters about handling all the media questions in NY which asked him about sweeping teams and being so dominant, how did he and rest of the Spurs handle that, and he said mostly young players do that but in doing so they ran the risk of believing their own press and developing false expectations.
So yeah, many place credence in rankings and other media praises, but Spurs have been warned and lectured, many years ago, that it's not a good thing to do.
Now seeding, that a whole 'nother story.

BTW, it's easier escaping the media glare being in a city like San Antonio.
Fuggin' cameras and microphone aren't always being shoved into the faces of your hometown players.

Hey, here's a perfect example of the handwringing shown by media "experts"
Read em and then stay away, far away.........

It's that fourth spot in the West seedings that has everyone so agitated. Because of the way the playoff bracket plays out, the winner of the first-round series pitting the Nos. 1-8 teams meets up with the 4-5 winner in the second round. It just wouldn't be right, the argument goes, for the Spurs and the Mavericks to lock up so early in the postseason. That's a showdown best reserved for the conference finals, or so it is claimed.

Well, no, actually, that would be a showdown best reserved for the Finals - but that's not going to happen either. This is nothing new. Think of all those years when the Shaq & Kobe Lakers were getting past Portland or Sacramento in the West, then facing the likes of Indiana, Philadelphia or New Jersey for the Larry O'Brien trophy. It wasn't much different when San Antonio beat Dallas in 2003 before getting the Nets in the Finals or, going back a ways, when the Bulls had to survive the Knicks in Eastern Conference series that were way more rugged than whatever came in June.

Nobody advocated abandoning the conference format back then - network TV ratings were simply expected to take the hit on a less-than-titillating Finals match up. The emergence of Detroit and Shaq's move to Miami have eased the situation now, East relative to West, but the divisions apparently are fair game. Some experts suggest that they be ignored entirely when setting up the brackets, and others lobby for some compromise (three division winners plus next-best finisher seeded according to record) in which a division title becomes only a sorta, kinda reward.

Why all the hubbub? There are, it seems, two chief arguments against having the best teams in the conference meet before the championship round.

First, the greatest measure of excitement gets spent a round too early and turns the conference finals into some sort of anticlimax.

Second, it increases the odds that an inferior team might slip into the Finals; not only does that club avoid facing one of the conference's top teams, but it might catch the winner of the bigger, better match up in an exhausted or injured state. This, for instance, would be how a Denver could get past San Antonio, right into the Finals, without ever facing Dallas.

........can you believe that crap, shit, sounds like me..........
Make your shots dammit, and you'll go home happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

sribb43
03-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Actually, I think it's more simple. I think Dirk was blinded by the GS uniforms. :)

LOL, ya Dirk couldnt see and Josh couldnt see either and had to leave midway through the 2nd quarter

bdictjames
03-13-2007, 12:34 PM
:lol
I didn't expect they would choke that early in the postseason.

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Choking is.........something that happens to the unprepared.
You better know how big a bite you're gonna take, cause if you ain't ready for the extra load it's gonna stay stuck in pause.
Ballas live in a whole other world. They're on fast forward to start, and then go on to superman. For you and me looking on, every effort has been made to make the viewing easier.
But just go courtside.
I went to Spurs-Indianna last year, sat about 25 ft. to the right side of the bench, and picked my jaw up off the floor when they put the jets on.
Unbelievable.
Choking at the speed of light is almost as unbelievable too.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Ummmm the Mavs streak gets snapped and now people here actually think the Warriors can beat the Mavs or give them a scare?? :blah :blah The Warriors at best push that series to 5 games. No playoff experience and it is a whole new league compared to the regular season. You haters are something else.

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Dirk Nowitski, if we get our little streak snapped tonight we'll be fielding the same questions and feeling the same barbs tomorrow that y'all are getting today. The difference is being prepared for them, which we will be.
Nellie's bunch would be hard pressed to go the full Monty with your hosses, IMO.
Chokin', well, that's a very nebulous concept to cipher, it's best viewed in realtime to fully comprehend.