View Full Version : Pedro...a Yankee??

Jimcs50
11-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Say it ain't so!!! :depressed

Pedro meets with Steinbrenner, Yanks
Story Tools: Print Email
Ronald Blum / Associated Press
Posted: 3 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) - Pedro Martinez visited the enemy Tuesday, meeting with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner at New York's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla.

Taking aim at the World Series champion Boston Red Sox, Steinbrenner talked at Legends Field with the free-agent right-hander.

Martinez was accompanied by agents Fernando Cuza and Pat Rooney. New York vice presidents Mark Newman, Billy Connors and Damon Oppenheimer also attended.

"We had a good meeting," Steinbrenner said in a statement, without elaborating.

Cuza, Rooney and Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein did not immediately return telephone calls seeking comment. The Red Sox reportedly made a recent two-year offer to the ace.

Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who got into a shouting match with Martinez during the 2003 playoffs, said last week he would be happy to see him in pinstripes.

"I don't have anything against Pedro if he's my teammate. The guy is a winner. He knows how to pitch," Posada said.

In September, Martinez called the Yankees his "daddy" because of their success against him, sparking chants of "Who's your daddy?" when he pitched in New York during this year's AL championship series.

Martinez was acquired by the Red Sox before the 1998 season and has gone 117-37 for Boston, winning the AL Cy Young Award in 1999 and 2000. After beating St. Louis in Game 3 of the World Series, he acknowledged it could have been his final appearance for Boston.

"If it is, I just want the fans and everybody to understand that I did whatever possible to represent the city well, the team and that my heart will always be with them," he said. "It's been a great ride. I hope everybody enjoyed it as much as I did. Even with the struggles that I've had up and down during the season, I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed every moment. I enjoyed my career in Boston."

Switching sides in the rivalry would not be unprecedented. After going 2-0 for the Yankees in the 1977 World Series, Mike Torrez went to the Red Sox - and gave up Bucky Dent's homer in the tiebreaker playoff for the 1978 AL East title.

Spurminator
11-17-2004, 04:28 PM
I hope so... If they waste their money on Pedro, they may have to pass on Beltran or Johnson.

T Park
11-18-2004, 12:06 AM
hope so as well.

that opens up the road for Randy Johnson and Edgar Renteria to come back to St Louis

King
11-18-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't understand what the big problem would be. Boston has a better team, and can offer the same money.

Unless it's just on principle, I don't see why it would matter if the Yankees got him.

Duff McCartney
11-18-2004, 07:06 PM
The Sox made Pedro a fair offer so it will depend on whether the Yankees overpay. I think Pedro will be back.

Varitek is almost certainly gone, the Sox will not give him a no-trade because it would trigger no-trade clauses in Nixon and Ramirez' contracts. Plus Varitek wants a 4 or 5 year deal and at 33 there is no way the Sox will do that.

Cabrerra is gone as well, not because of money but because of years. The Sox have Hanley Ramirez projected to play shortshop in 06 or 07 so a deal longer than 2 years is out of the question.

Will be a strong strategy to let Varitek go, sign a defensive catcher and pick up someone like Troy Glaus to play third and move Mueller to second.

The team will clearly not sacrifice long term flexibility to keep Pedro or Varitek.

Jimcs50
11-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Varitek needs to stay, he is too valuable to let go.

IcemanCometh
11-20-2004, 02:51 PM
haha tpark made a funny