PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden: Bowen good as new

Bruno
03-13-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031307.04D.spurs.34c364f.html

Web Posted: 03/12/2007 10:15 PM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Bruce Bowen is sitting in front of his locker at the AT&T Center. His feet are plunged into a tub of bone-chilling water. A large bag of ice is strapped to his back.

"Aggressive therapy," Bowen says, motioning to the Mr. Freeze treatment. "When you let things just go, that's when stuff happens."

Bowen isn't gone just yet. Two weeks after Spurs coach Gregg Popovich expressed concern his top perimeter defender was hindered by a sore back more than he was letting on, Bowen appears to be harassing opponents much like he always has.

"I don't know if he's whole or not because he never tells me the truth," Popovich said. "But he definitely looks much better."

That was evident this past week. On Saturday, Bowen kept New Jersey guard Vince Carter in check for the better part of three quarters, limiting him to four points on 2-of-9 shooting.
More information

After Bowen went to the bench to rest midway through the third quarter, Carter scored nine points to bring the Nets within seven.

Popovich summoned Bowen, who promptly made a steal that led to a game-turning dunk by Manu Ginobili.

"Bruce didn't let Vince take control of the game," Popovich said, "and that was good."

Bowen did the same to Sacramento's Kevin Martin two nights earlier, hounding the young guard to the point of frustration. Averaging 29 points in his previous six games, Martin had just 10 when Bowen went to the bench with 3:49 left in the third quarter.

Martin quickly took advantage of Bowen's absence to make three consecutive jump shots, including a 3-pointer, to help the Kings take the lead early in the final quarter. Popovich put Bowen back on the floor, and Martin didn't make another shot until the closing seconds.

Bowen also has helped limit Seattle's Ray Allen (12 points on 4-of-20 shooting) and Denver's Carmelo Anthony (15 points, 6 of 15) within the past two weeks. Coincidentally, Popovich expressed concern about Bowen's health prior to the Feb. 20 game against the Nuggets.

With Miami's Dwyane Wade having lit up the Spurs a week earlier, Popovich told Bowen he didn't look like himself. Bowen also had gone into a severe slump from the 3-point line, leading Popovich to deduce his sore back had robbed him of lift in his legs.

Bowen had missed some practice time but downplayed the injury. Still, Popovich said he was considering sitting Bowen.

"In any season, you go through aches and pains, and that's all it was," said Bowen, who has played in a franchise-record 417 consecutive games, the NBA's longest active streak.

"It just happened to be made more of a big deal because of how I was playing. When I was decent during that time, there was nothing said."

Bowen has continued to struggle with his 3-point shot, making just 12 of his past 61 attempts (19.7 percent), a severe dropoff for someone who was hovering just under 50 percent through the season's first two months. But he attributes that not to his health but a change in equipment: His slump began shortly after the NBA switched back to the leather basketball.

"Look at the way I shot with the (synthetic) ball," Bowen said. "I had the summer to work out with it. I'm trying to get that feeling back with this ball now. It's just a time issue."

Which, Bowen was quick to add, isn't the same as an age issue.

Three months from his 36th birthday, Bowen often defends players 10 years or more his junior.

Some scouts think he has shown signs of losing a half-step; others say he is merely the victim of league rules that have made perimeter defenders an endangered species.

Bowen has good-naturedly laughed at most of the AARP jokes lobbed his way but said, "I hope people won't be using my age every time they talk about Bruce Bowen."

Popovich has made good on his vow to reduce Bowen's minutes, cutting them to an average of 30.9 per game, his fewest in five seasons.

The Spurs' top priority this summer will be to find an athletic swingman to spell Bowen, who figures to be back next season even though the $4.1 million in the last year of his contract currently isn't fully guaranteed.

"He's in great shape. He takes care of his body. He understands who he is," Portland coach Nate McMillan said.

"And that system that he's currently playing under fits him. When you have great players like Tim (Duncan) and Ginobili and (Tony) Parker, he can stick to what he does best, which is harass and deny and spot up in a corner.

"To me, if he doesn't have an injury, he looks like he could play another three or four years and be a pretty effective player in that system."

Bowen doesn't have a timeline for how much longer he wants to play. All he knows now is he isn't done yet.

"You have to be comfortable in the fact you can't play this game forever," Bowen said. "I actually look forward to life after basketball, being able to spend time with my kids.

"It's not a situation where I'm thinking, 'Oh, man, this might be it.' If it's it, it's it. All I can do is the best job I can while I'm still doing this."

Ginobili honored: Ginobili was named the Western Conference's player of the week on Monday after averaging 20.5 points and 5.0 rebounds in four games, all of which the Spurs won.

This is the first time Ginobili has received the honor. Parker was the last Spurs player recognized Feb. 13, 2006.

Dre_7
03-13-2007, 11:12 AM
The Spurs' top priority this summer will be to find an athletic swingman to spell Bowen, who figures to be back next season

Alando Tucker anyone???? :D :fro

SequSpur
03-13-2007, 11:47 AM
:lmao

SequSpur
03-13-2007, 11:49 AM
"Look at the way I shot with the (synthetic) ball," Bowen said. "I had the summer to work out with it. I'm trying to get that feeling back with this ball now. It's just a time issue."

:sleep :dizzy :fishing

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 11:50 AM
The Spurs' top priority this summer will be to find an athletic swingman to spell Bowen

Color me surprised. That was the same exact top priority they had last summer! Don't tell me nothing's changed!

Bruno
03-13-2007, 11:55 AM
That was the same exact top priority they had last summer!

No, last summer top priority was to get a center.

spurastic
03-13-2007, 12:01 PM
[URL]...

"You have to be comfortable in the fact you can't play this game forever," Bowen said. "I actually look forward to life after basketball, being able to spend time with my kids.

So does Bruce have more than one kid? Someone sitting in our section mentioned that his wife looks like she may be pregs again.

Das Texan
03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Same top priority for how many years now?

Maybe one of these centuries we can actually make it happen.

pad300
03-13-2007, 12:04 PM

Too small, not enough of a defender...

Kori Ellis
03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
So does Bruce have more than one kid? Someone sitting in our section mentioned that his wife looks like she may be pregs again.

He has a son and yes, I believe Mrs. Bowen is currently pregnant.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Three straight years they will be looking for the same thing (Bowen replacement). Yawn.

lessthannick11
03-13-2007, 12:54 PM

why would we want to replace bowen (good defender, good outside shooter) with tucker (bad defender, bad outside shooter, undersized)

give me brandon rush, corey brewer, or jeff green

T Park
03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Who was the available replacement last year?

Clutch20
03-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Ludden knows that older men get grouchier and tempermental.
And determined.
Doesn't bode well for BB's assignments, who he covers these next games till June will be in his way.
Bruce didn't EVER like for someone to tell him -NO- or -You can't do it-
It wasn't over for him last year and it won't be over this summer, because, there's always something next........he's training young eyes right now, tonite included.
I see room for him on the coaching staff later down the road, after another trophy or 2.
But that's just me.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
why would we want to replace bowen (good defender, good outside shooter) with tucker (bad defender, bad outside shooter, undersized)

Corey Brewer and Jeff Green are almost certain to be gone by the time the Spurs pick.

Brandon Rush seems to have everything the Spurs want, but often times seems lathargic/disinterested during games. Alando may not have the height or strength, but he's a "gamer". And don't sell Alando short on his athleticism and defensive ability...both of which are top-notch.

I'm not saying I would take Tucker over these guys, but he will be a decent pro.

Worst Case: Desmond Mason
Best Case: Josh Howard

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 01:03 PM

:hungry:

kill, lie, cheat, steal, whatever it takes.

T Park
03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Still wondering who the long three that was available last year....

Darkwaters
03-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Mo Pete said earier today that he probably won't return to the Raptors next season. Who knows?

lessthannick11
03-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Corey Brewer and Jeff Green are almost certain to be gone by the time the Spurs pick.

Brandon Rush seems to have everything the Spurs want, but often times seems lathargic/disinterested during games. Alando may not have the height or strength, but he's a "gamer". And don't sell Alando short on his athleticism and defensive ability...both of which are top-notch.

I'm not saying I would take Tucker over these guys, but he will be a decent pro.

Worst Case: Desmond Mason
Best Case: Josh Howard

I'll give you the athletic ability, hes got that for sure...but his defensive ability? Have you watched him? I live in wisconsin so see lots of his games, hes in the brand of a gambler that will come up with some steals, which generally prompts announcers to proclaim his as a good defender, but choose to ignore that times he misses backdoor cuts and stand flat footed

Id take him in the second round for a shot, but wouldnt want him in the first

mardigan
03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Give me Dudley, McGuire from Fresno St. (who Tony likes as well), Morris Almond from Rice, Bellinelli, or Rush and I would be happy. I also really like Byars from Vandy, kid has great size and athletic ability, can handle the ball and shoot. As far as this article, just waiting for the Bowen haters to come out

SenorSpur
03-13-2007, 01:17 PM
A couple of things that struck me about this statement

The Spurs' top priority this summer will be to find an athletic swingman to spell Bowen, who figures to be back next season even though the $4.1 million in the last year of his contract currently isn't fully guaranteed.

First off, I always believed that athletic swingmen were probably the easiest types to find. Given the fact that your average NBA player is around 6'6'" or 6'7". Even if it's harder to find one that has the ambition to dedicate himself toward becoming as accomplished of a defender as Bowen. The fact is these body types are a dime a dozen. Makes me wonder why the Spurs have "dragged their feet" this long.

Second, I'm very surprised his 2007-08 salary isn't fully guaranteed. It damn well should be.

mardigan
03-13-2007, 01:18 PM
A couple of things that struck me about this statement

First off, I always believed that athletic swingmen were probably the easiest types to find. Given the fact that your average NBA player is around 6'6'" or 6'7". Even if it's harder to find one that has the ambition to dedicate himself toward becoming as accomplished of a defender as Bowen. The fact is these body types are a dime a dozen. Makes me wonder why the Spurs have "dragged their feet" this long.

Second, I'm very surprised his 2007-08 salary isn't fully guaranteed. It damn well should be.

I wonder if it has anything to do with when he restructered his contract?

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I'll give you the athletic ability, hes got that for sure...but his defensive ability? Have you watched him? I live in wisconsin so see lots of his games, hes in the brand of a gambler that will come up with some steals, which generally prompts announcers to proclaim his as a good defender, but choose to ignore that times he misses backdoor cuts and stand flat footed

Id take him in the second round for a shot, but wouldnt want him in the first

Okay, I can go with that. So he's active in the passing lanes, but his on the ball d leaves something to be desired. I still think with a little refinement he could guard most 2s and 3s effectively.

On him as a prospect, I think he's a good "Bowen replacement", but I'd like to see how White pans out in that respect before adding another guy in that mold with either of the first two picks.

Agree with Mardigan that McGuire is an intriguing pick. He's not necessarily the "Bowen replacement", but he could be the answer for Long 3/Small Ball 4....

In case you are wondering, I consider the search for a "Bowen Replacement" and the "Long, Athletic 3" to be different searches, because I doubt the Spurs have enough leverage to get a guy that could guard three positions and rebound well enough to be the small ball 4.

mardigan
03-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Okay, I can go with that. So he's active in the passing lanes, but his on the ball d leaves something to be desired. I still think with a little refinement he could guard most 2s and 3s effectively.

On him as a prospect, I think he's a good "Bowen replacement", but I'd like to see how White pans out in that respect before adding another guy in that mold with either of the first two picks.

Agree with Mardigan that McGuire is an intriguing pick. He's not necessarily the "Bowen replacement", but he could be the answer for Long 3/Small Ball 4....

In case you are wondering, I consider the search for a "Bowen Replacement" and the "Long, Athletic 3" to be different searches, because I doubt the Spurs have enough leverage to get a guy that could guard three positions and rebound well enough to be the small ball 4.

Derrick Byars is our guy, Im calling it right now, he will be our pick

Byars highlight reeal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ4R-U65xcM

K-State Spur
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Color me surprised. That was the same exact top priority they had last summer! Don't tell me nothing's changed!

That's always been the priority of the fan base. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but while I'm sure that they wouldn't mind it, I don't know if the organization has ever actually come out and said that finding Bruce's replacement is a priority.

Last year, finding bigs who could play alongside Duncan was a more pressing need. As it turns out, so was signing Vaughn as the third point.

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 02:14 PM
That's always been the priority of the fan base. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but while I'm sure that they wouldn't mind it, I don't know if the organization has ever actually come out and said that finding Bruce's replacement is a priority.

Last year, finding bigs who could play alongside Duncan was a more pressing need. As it turns out, so was signing Vaughn as the third point.

Getting bigs was perhaps top priority, but wasn't as urgent, since getting those kinds of players isn't quite as hard. To replace Bowen we need a significantly better player than Oberto, Elson, or Butler is.

It was their top priority, or at least second, to get a Bowen replacement. There were the Popovich "Derrick McKey" comments, etc. It's also been well-known that the Spurs have been trying to trade up in drafts to get players that fit the mold, last year dangling Scola. I'm not sure who they were after, maybe Sefolosha.

Of course they've been after a Bowen replacement. Does it make any basketball sense to not be?

Bruno
03-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Signing an athletic swingman has never been Spurs top priority for at least 2003.

Ludden says Spurs want a player to spell Bowen. I'm not sure Spurs are ready to gamble on a draft pick and wait to see if he pans out : Bruce is too old to take that luxury. I think that this athletic swingman will be get via FA or trade.

Another thing to consider is James White. I know he has done nothing but it's the same thing for players who will be drafted in June. Spurs liked him last June when they wanted to draft him, they liked him in November when they have signed him and they liked him in January when they decided to keep him while his salary became guaranteed. If Spurs still like him in June, they won't draft a similar player.

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree trading for a vet SF would be optimal to the Spurs, but I don't think that option is really available. They could have to pay through the nose for that position and don't have much to offer. Not really sure who's available, maybe Outlaw or Pietrus or somebody, and those guys would be as much 'projects' as anybody they'd draft. Honestly, I think Corey Brewer or Jeff Green could be less work than Travis Outlaw. But of course getting Brewer or Green might even be harder.

Bruno
03-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Not really sure who's available, maybe Outlaw or Pietrus or somebody, and those guys would be as much 'projects' as anybody they'd draft.

You've just said that a player who has averaged more than 9 ppg for more than 3 years in nba (Pietrus) is more a project that a player who has never played a nba game or even a game against someone older than 23. :spin
Even an average player like Matt Barnes has 90% to help Spurs more next year than a player like Corey Brewer or Jeff Green. Bottomline is : if SPurs think they need help as soon as next year at SF, they will do more than drafting a SF.

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
My point, which you chose to obscure, is that Pietrus is not a good player yet. Dumping in 9 ppg for an also-ran like Golden State is not terribly impressive, if it does show NBA talent at least. My point is that trading for a guy like Outlaw or Pietrus, the only kinds of SFs likely available, isn't a far cry from trying to trade up for one of the better SF prospects in this draft. It would take the same type of work to get Pietrus playing championship caliber ball than it would Jeff Green. I would rather get the guy who hasn't shown signs of a ceiling yet.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Also to be considered is the $$ the Spurs have available. If they've only got $5M to spare (assuming they use it all), they better make damn sure they get their guy at the 3 spot because of the opportunity cost associated with potentially bringing another player in the fold (Scola, etc.).

K-State Spur
03-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Getting bigs was perhaps top priority, but wasn't as urgent, since getting those kinds of players isn't quite as hard.

Actually, it's always easier to find an athletic wing than a big man (especially one who can defer to Timmy, but still be effective in his own right). That we haven't had a whole lot of success in doing so is maybe the one mark against a front office that has done a pretty solid job everywhere else.

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
It is a truism that skilled wings are easier to find than big men, but I mean in this case, finding decent guys who can fill the gaps near one of the best big men ever, in Duncan, has been and is far easier than finding a very good wing to fill for Bowen. The talent needs are different.

Bruno
03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
My point, which you chose to obscure, is that Pietrus is not a good player yet.

I'm not high at all on Pietrus but your point isn't only that.

It would take the same type of work to get Pietrus playing championship caliber ball than it would Jeff Green.

I strongly disagree with that. If Spurs get a player like Pietrus, he will be able to give them something like 20 quality minutes as soon as next year. On the other hand, a rookie picked with a mid first is a long shot to help a contender. Most of mid first round picks doesn't really help their teams when they are rookies.
BTW, Getting a quality athletic swingman in FA is light year easier than geting a 15th pick.

AFBlue
03-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm not high at all on Pietrus but your point isn't only that.

I strongly disagree with that. If Spurs get a player like Pietrus, he will be able to give them something like 20 quality minutes as soon as next year. On the other hand, a rookie picked with a mid first is a long shot to help a contender. Most of mid first round picks doesn't really help their teams when they are rookies.
BTW, Getting a quality athletic swingman in FA is light year easier than geting a 15th pick.

If the Spurs draft a SF at the bottom of the first or top of the second, I think it won't matter so much how ready that individual is, but what the opportunity is. As of right now, the Spurs still have Bowen and Finley to fill that void. If Bowen's defensive ability is severely diminshed and Finley opts out of his contract, then the player to succeed Bowen becomes a TOP priority

Mr. Body
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
All else equal, I'd rather pull a Corey Brewer than Mikhael Pietrus. The only SFs remotely available are all significantly flawed and probably more expensive than it would be to move up in the draft. If we can get Pietrus for, like, Butler + something, then by all means... Either way, it'd be difficult. Regardless, Bowen's starting next year, and the only guy out there (other than Nocioni) that appeals to me as much as Green or Brewer, or even Thaddeus Young, is Travis Outlaw. And there's nothing that says he's for sale. As far as I know the only SF remotely available right now is Pietrus and a handful of SFs in the draft already have him beat insofar as what the Spurs will eventually need.

Bruno
03-13-2007, 05:11 PM
All else equal

Stop living in a fantasy world :

1) Spurs will need to trade way more things to get a lottery pick for Brewer than to get a player like Pietrus.

2) Pietrus isn't the only interesting free agent. If Warriors wants a lot for him, Spurs can go after a player like Patterson, Mason, Wells, Walton or Posey and these players are unrestricted free agent.

3) FACT : Most of the players drafted with a mid first round pick can't help a contender in their rookie year.

If Spurs top priority is to get help at SF for next year and the only thing they do is to draft a SF with a mid first round pick, they are stupid.
If Spurs think that they could be fine next year at SF with Bowen and Finley, drafting a SF and not going after FAs makes some sense.

mardigan
03-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Isnt Rashard Lewis a free agent next year?

SequSpur
03-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Last night, dude got 27 minutes, was 2-5 from the field, 0 for 2 from the 3 land, 2 got damn rebounds, 6 pts.

Yeah, I would say he is as good as new... When he was new, he was getting waived and playing in YMCA leagues... Yep... good assessment by Ludden.