PDA

View Full Version : LSU's Big Baby Leaning Toward Draft

Pugglekicker_21
03-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Last year he would have been a lotto pick. THis year he'll be lucky to get into the 1st round, some people say.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/pugglekicker_21/t1_davis_ap.jpg

Big Baby: 'Leaning toward going pro'

NEW YORK -- LSU junior forward Glen Davis told SI.com on Tuesday he is "leaning toward turning pro," but -- contrary to earlier reports from a source close to the team -- has not yet officially decided to enter the NBA Draft.

"I'm collecting the facts this weekend to make sure the situation is good enough to enter the Draft," Davis said. "If I like what I hear, I'm going pro, but the option of coming back to school for my senior year is still open."

Davis said he tentatively plans to make his announcement on March 21 in Baton Rouge. While he has not settled on an agent, a source told SI.com that Houston-based representative John Hamilton of Performance Sports Management was the most likely candidate. The 6-foot-9, 295-pound Davis is currently projected as a second-round pick by DraftExpress.com and NBAdraft.net.

The "Big Baby," as Davis is known, helped lead LSU to the Final Four in 2005-06 and won SEC Player of the Year honors that season. He battled a myriad injuries in his junior year as the Tigers struggled, finishing 17-15 (5-11 SEC) and being left out of both the NCAA tournament and NIT fields.

After sitting out LSU's 66-56 upset of SEC champion Florida on Feb. 24 with a thigh injury, Davis returned to the lineup in time to power the Tigers to a first-round upset of Tennessee in their conference tournament. Davis said he "turned into some animal" in that game, scoring 25 points and grabbing 15 rebounds. LSU was blown out 80-60 by Ole Miss the next day, and was left out of the 40-team NIT field on Sunday night.

Despite their lackluster record in 2006-07, the Tigers could still contend in the SEC next season even if Davis is no longer around. They'll be led by two starters from the '06 Final Four team -- point guard Garrett Temple, one of the nation's best on-ball defenders, and small forward Tasmin Mitchell, a former McDonald's All-American who was LSU's second-leading scorer at 14.5 points per game. Filling Davis' position in the post would likely be five-star recruit Anthony Randolph, a 6-10 forward from Dallas who is rated the No. 17 overall player in the Class of 2007 by Rivals.com.