PDA

View Full Version : McCallum - Tony vs Manu

DieMrBond
03-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Who would you rather have?
Each week, SI.com's Jack McCallum analyzes two players of similar talents and/or on-court tendencies. (Contracts and salary-cap considerations are non-factors.)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jack_mccallum/03/13/choosing.sides.parker.ginobili/index.html

It's difficult enough for opponents of the San Antonio Spurs that point guard Tony Parker is one of the toughest players in the league to check in the closing seconds of a quarter. But the Spurs can also install Manu Ginobili to handle the ball in those one-on-one isolated situations when most teams clear out and let one player do the work.

Pick your poison: If you were Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, would you rather have the right-handed flash Parker or the southpaw bull Ginobili doing the handling? The obvious answer is "either one," but that's not allowed.

Parker is annually among the NBA leaders in points scored in the paint, and it's not because he's posting up and taking turnaround jumpers. He is a master at getting into the paint and releasing his high teardrop shot with uncanny accuracy. He doesn't get many blocked, either. And though the defensive book on Eva Longoria's mate continues to be slough off him and make him shoot from the outside, he can be deadly accurate when he's on.

There's a little more drama when Ginobili gets it outside and prepares to break down the defense. He gathers himself like a tailback ready to hit the hole, and, chances are, he's not going to stop unless there is some kind of contact. He spins, he crosses over or he goes behind his back. He gets knocked down or he knocks somebody down. And, generally, Ginobili somehow makes it to the basket to release some kind of bizarre half-hook or layup.

"You can talk about Parker's quickness all you want, but he's going to beat you off the dribble," says one NBA head coach. "And you can talk about planting yourself in front of Ginobili and taking the contact all you want, but he's going to get off his shot. And the real problem is that, if you do manage to stop them, either one will give it off to [Tim] Duncan for a sure basket if time allows."

Well put. But I'm going to give the edge to GINOBILI, primarily because he is far more likely to get to the line in those break-down-the-defense situations. Despite playing fewer minutes, Ginobili has shot many more free throws than Parker (one every 5.5 minutes compared to Parker's 8.5), and, further, is much more likely to make them, being an 86 percent shooter from the line compared to Parker's 78 percent.

"Of course, the real question is whether or not Manu was actually fouled or whether he stage-acted his way to the line," says the coach, laughing.

That might be. But more often than not, Manu gets the call and that's why, more often than not, he gets the ball.

ArgSpursFan
03-13-2007, 06:37 PM
one world:clutch(N.20)

gospursgojas
03-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Manu is a better shooter

wildbill2u
03-13-2007, 07:08 PM
It's amazing to me that Parker doesn't get foul calls all the time as he drives into the paint. He must be so snaky that he weaves his way around and past the opponents before they can touch him. [sarcasm/]

MmP
03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I'd take Manu. He usually gets more calls, he's a better passer, more clutch, and takes better desitions under pressure. Besides what the writter said about Manu being better free-throw shooter.

ShoogarBear
03-13-2007, 08:05 PM
It's amazing to me that Parker doesn't get foul calls all the time as he drives into the paint. He must be so snaky that he weaves his way around and past the opponents before they can touch him. [sarcasm/]TP should be getting at least 2 FTA more per game than he does. Maybe eventually he'll start getting the benefit of the whistles.

ducks
03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
TP should be getting at least 2 FTA more per game than he does. Maybe eventually he'll start getting the benefit of the whistles.

they hate him because he is from france

if only he was from agrentina :rolleyes

exstatic
03-13-2007, 08:37 PM
If it's a static thing like "who will you take this second?", I'd take Manu, but If I were a GM putting together an expansion team, and they were both unprotected, I'd take Tony. He's going to be in the NBA a lot longer than Trainwreck Ginobili. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
03-15-2007, 04:40 PM
they hate him because he is from france

if only he was from agrentina :rolleyes
typical idiotic response from ducks

SpursDynasty
03-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm sick of this Manu vs Tony stuff. End this thread please.

Obstructed_View
03-15-2007, 04:48 PM
If I'm Pop, I'll give it to Finley and try to make a play to pass it to Horry, remembering to try for a three whether we need it or not. If Horry isn't in the game, then I'll pass it to either Bonner or Bowen, depending on which one is colder.

ducks
03-15-2007, 04:59 PM
typical idiotic response from ducks
another typical mannumanicac post

MaNuMaNiAc
03-15-2007, 05:10 PM
another typical mannumanicac post
yeah well, someone needs to point out how much of an imbecile you are, you know? for those new posters that aren't as fluent in duckish as the rest of us.

ducks
03-15-2007, 05:13 PM
I could say the same thing about you

SequSpur
03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Tony Parker is an allstar. Manu is not.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-15-2007, 05:27 PM
I could say the same thing about you
oh that's brilliant, what's next? "I am rubber, you are glue"?

Clutch20
03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Gotta go with Clutch20, la "piedra" indestructible!
Tony's unpredictable around a certain % of the area, Manu utilizes a bigger zone of finishing, sometimes extending it 6-7 feet away from the basket while elevated, waiting till the last *nano* to release it.

CubanMustGo
03-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I'd rather have both, thank you.

And I'd rather have the assholes who denigrate one at the expense of the other go post somewhere else.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-15-2007, 05:35 PM

And I'd rather have the assholes who denigrate one at the expense of the other go post somewhere else.
A-FUCKING-MEN!

Kori Ellis
03-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Thank you.

Clutch20
03-15-2007, 05:40 PM
It's amazing to me that Parker doesn't get foul calls all the time as he drives into the paint. He must be so snaky that he weaves his way around and past the opponents before they can touch him. [sarcasm/]
All those charging calls against him, careless tripping over well-placed feet and legs, tackling him, dragging him down and out over the end zone, oops, forgot that we're talking basketball.

powerpower
03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Tony Parker is an allstar. Manu is not.

if manu did not back down from his scoring abilities last year..he would have made the all star team...
but so what tony has made it twice...only because he "hogs" the ball every game damn it and does not pass it ...jump after jump...... why is he only averaging 5 assist a game ...nowitzki is averaging more assists than him.. that is just embarrassing to call parker a Point GUARD....may be a hogging Guard

smeagol
03-15-2007, 06:56 PM

ducks and powerpower, you've been discovered!

v2freak
03-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Tony is younger, so I guess I'd take him, although at this moment in time, Manu is better

Clutch20
03-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Tony is younger, so I guess I'd take him, although at this moment in time, Manu is better
I want to clarify, my post was based on the concept,"which one do you go with" at the end of a game-winning play with secs. left, not "which one is superior or 1>other."
Pop has to choose. Timmy has to choose. Manu has to choose. It is a 5 man decision. Only 1 ball. Which one's have closed out last second hairpullers? Two, mainly. I admire standup people here taking a stand and not letting others run over their boys. That's why I'm here. I consider myself as a newbie with my little pile of posts and don't feel like I've earned credit yet as a longtime regular like you others. That's why sometimes I'm out of rhythm! I'll learn as we march towards the end of May and get jungle-deep into postseason play and learn from the best here, even the few rascals that pester for their own jollies whatever those may be, I don't know the history of certain posters here but I'm sensing animosities, some names keep popping up alot!

E20
03-15-2007, 07:50 PM
I consider Tony and Manu to be brothers, I can't see the Spurs as a family without one or the other. It would leave a void in my heart or something.

In the closing seconds of a game depending on who's hot, they should take the last shot or try to create something. Wheter it be Tim, Tony, Manu, Brent, Bowen, Finely whoever.

E20
03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, they both fucked up tonight, fucking scrubs.

Clutch20
03-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Well, they both fucked up tonight, fucking scrubs.
yeah, send them to the woodshed, they'd prefer to hide there rather than to face Pop's "I told you so's"

mathbzh
03-16-2007, 03:55 AM
In that situation I chose Manu.
But this Manu vs. Parker debate is really boring. Spurs fan should be happy to have both players.