PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me

Leetonidas
03-15-2007, 03:36 AM
Why is Dallas supposed to be sooooo much better than us? I've been thinking about it for a long time now and I've come to the conclusion that they're a lot like the Pistons from last year. Now, people want to argue that Detroit had no bench last year minus Hunter and McDyess, which is true, but really, who is on Dallas' bench that is so damn good? Stackhouse? Is that it? Really?

They're not as scary as the media has made them seem.

Sorry to Mav fans if you guys think I'm being a homer but I'm being dead serious when I say the Mavs are not deeper than the Spurs. I respect the Mavericks as a good team, but I really think people are overlooking the Spurs.

Leetonidas
03-15-2007, 03:38 AM
Diop, Croshere, George, Buckner...

None of them are all that good and when you think about it, them plus Stack are all that will be playing come playoff time.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2007, 03:39 AM
Why is Dallas supposed to be sooooo much better than us?Because they are six games ahead of us.

Leetonidas
03-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Because they are six games ahead of us.
Good point. :lol

Obstructed_View
03-15-2007, 03:44 AM
Funny how many people discount how good the team was last year. The Mavs won 60 games despite lots of injuries. Hell, they finished the season 8-8. By the playoffs they were much better than their record indicated.

Kori Ellis
03-15-2007, 03:45 AM

None of them are all that good and when you think about it, them plus Stack are all that will be playing come playoff time.

:wtf

I'm not sure what that means, but the players that matter and will be playing a lot are Dirk, JHo, Terry, DHarris and Stack. And the players that matter for the Spurs are Tim, Manu, Tony and Bruce (and hopefully someone else steps up).

I don't know why the pre-occupation with trying to find ways to make the Mavs seem bad. They are very, very good. Do they have the best bench of all-time? No. But the Spurs bench (if you count Manu as a starter) isn't anything to write home about.

The teams will match up pretty well in the playoffs, but overall this season the Mavericks have been a better team this year. I don't know why Spurs fans are dying to downgrade that somehow.

Obstructed_View
03-15-2007, 03:45 AM
Because they are six games ahead of us.
And beat the Spurs last year despite not having HCA, which they have pretty much wrapped up.

Leetonidas
03-15-2007, 03:47 AM
Funny how many people discount how good the team was last year. The Mavs won 60 games despite lots of injuries. Hell, they finished the season 8-8. By the playoffs they were much better than their record indicated.

I know, but I'm just curious as to why many people think we are not on the same level as the Mavericks.

It's gonna be a good playoffs. :hungry:

Leetonidas
03-15-2007, 03:49 AM

I'm not sure what that means, but the players that matter and will be playing a lot are Dirk, JHo, Terry, DHarris and Stack. And the players that matter for the Spurs are Tim, Manu, Tony and Bruce (and hopefully someone else steps up).

I don't know why the pre-occupation with trying to find ways to make the Mavs seem bad. They are very, very good. Do they have the best bench of all-time? No. But the Spurs bench (if you count Manu as a starter) isn't anything to write home about.

The teams will match up pretty well in the playoffs, but overall this season the Mavericks have been a better team this year. I don't know why Spurs fans are dying to downgrade that somehow.
Sorry if I came off as "downgrading" them but I didn't mean to. They have a decent bench, yes, but I'm saying it's not so much better than our bench if it even is. They are a very good team, but what I'm saying is the teams are virtually even, and some Maverick fans have said they can take us in 5 or 6 games when the gap between the two teams in virtually undefinable.

Kori Ellis
03-15-2007, 03:50 AM
... when the gap between the two teams in virtually undefinable.

It's pretty definable.

The Mavs are 6 1/2 games better than the Spurs :lol

Leetonidas
03-15-2007, 03:51 AM
It's pretty definable.

You know what I mean. :lol

Obstructed_View
03-15-2007, 03:58 AM

I know, but I'm just curious as to why many people think we are not on the same level as the Mavericks.

I agree. I'm not sure why some of the Spurs fans are acting like there's something wrong with pointing out that the Spurs have actually improved more than the Mavs have, or that the big three is healthy this year. I guess they are afraid of jinxing it.

Considering that there was no Oberto, Rasho, Nazr, Vaughn, Bonner or Elson playing during the WC semis, that seems like a decent upgrade if they are playing well, which they have been. The Spurs played like turds there for a while and lost any chance at the number one seed. Oh well. The Spurs have been bounced with it and have won it all without it.

Obstructed_View
03-15-2007, 03:59 AM
It's pretty definable.

Just like the Spurs were 15 games better than the Rockets. :)

sabar
03-15-2007, 04:41 AM
The media and the doom-and-gloom posters act like the Mavs are 20 games ahead of everyone else, which is not the case. If the Mavs are destined for victory and so great, then why was the 2006 series between the Spurs and the Mavs 7 games? Shouldn't the Mavs/Gods be sweeping every series?

I agree with EssaySpur1001. The Mavs are NOT waaaaaaaaaay ahead like people make it seem. You can't even argue they are better. The Spurs have the best record in the league since the AS break and all that matters is the here and now, not how many games we won in Decemeber and January.

Here and now.

There is a reason teams start their records fresh each year -- because they are new teams. And there should be a new record every month, because teams change. Can you honestly say that the Spurs are playing like they did in January? Can you honestly say that the Mavs are playing like they did in November?

No. All that matters are the teams NOW, the teams down the stretch and into the playoffs. The Spurs dive before the All Star break has skewed our record much more into the losses than we really are.

And if you ask me, NOW, the Spurs, Suns, Jazz, and Mavs are on an equal plane. It will probably be this way come the playoffs too.

Dalhoop
03-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Maybe its because its March 15 and the Mavs are now having their SECOND loosing streak of the season (The first in FOUR MONTHS). The Spurs have had five loosing streaks.

ZStomp
03-15-2007, 07:57 AM
The Mavs are good. Don't kidd yourself....

johngateswhiteley
03-15-2007, 08:10 AM
meh, dallas sucks.

BeerIsGood!
03-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Barring any major injuries or big time shooting slumps on either side, this is going to be a very tight and compelling series. The two teams match up very well with each other, and it will come down to consistent execution on the court... i.e. the team with the fewest mistakes will win.

Also, don't discount Phoenix. The Suns are a tough team and will be there in the playoffs.

SRJ
03-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Before their loss to Golden State, Dallas was on pace for 70-12, which would have been only the second-ever occurrence of a team winning 70 games - Michael Jordan's 72-10 Bulls being the first. I understand why people got excited over that.

Trainwreck2100
03-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Maybe its because its March 15 and the Mavs are now having their SECOND loosing streak of the season (The first in FOUR MONTHS). The Spurs have had five loosing streaks.

They should just tie the knots harder next time

SpursDynasty
03-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Before their loss to Golden State, Dallas was on pace for 70-12, which would have been only the second-ever occurrence of a team winning 70 games - Michael Jordan's 72-10 Bulls being the first. I understand why people got excited over that.

I hate when people say "Before their loss to such and such" , or "if they hadnt opened 0-4", "if they hadn't lose to Golden State" ,those are the key words, BEFORE and IF. You can't just throw stuff out the window. The Mavs won't win 70 games anymore, too bad. 69 games won isn't bad though.

Let me try one: If the Spurs hadn't lost three in a row to open 2007, we'd be 49-15. How do you like that?

mavs>spurs2
03-15-2007, 12:11 PM
meh, dallas sucks.

Nice take. You really bring alot to the board, I don't know what we would do without you.

SRJ
03-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I hate when people say "Before their loss to such and such" , or "if they hadnt opened 0-4", "if they hadn't lose to Golden State" ,those are the key words, BEFORE and IF. You can't just throw stuff out the window. The Mavs won't win 70 games anymore, too bad. 69 games won isn't bad though.

Let me try one: If the Spurs hadn't lost three in a row to open 2007, we'd be 49-15. How do you like that?

Aren't you the one throwing stuff out the window here? The Mavs regular season success was the buzz about the Mavericks season to that point. The question was asked "Why do people think the Mavs are so great?" and I answered based on the reaction Dallas' success was generating.

Don't confuse what I said with some sort of argument which goes "The Mavs would have finished 74-8 if not for [fill in the blank]." That is absolutely NOT what I was saying.

BTW, 69 wins "isn't bad"? That would tie the 1972 Lakers and the 1997 Bulls for the second best record of all time. Yeah, 69-13 is pretty decent. :lol

bdictjames
03-15-2007, 12:23 PM
When people see that they have to run to compete with Dallas, Dallas is gonna be in deep trouble these last 17 or so games.

AnkleBreaker21
03-15-2007, 12:26 PM
its really just cause their younger, and we have a veteran team, you know how the media like the fast explosive teams

Shank
03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
When people see that they have to run to compete with Dallas, Dallas is gonna be in deep trouble these last 17 or so games.

Define 'deep trouble'.

foodie2
03-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree that Dallas is very good, but since I haven't seen many of the games I was surprised to see last night (and, admittedly, I only saw the first half) that their defense wasn't very good. Wasn't Avery supposed to have them playing defense? Was the first half's defensive showing just an aberration?

Mavs<Spurs
03-15-2007, 12:56 PM
It's pretty definable.

Like the Suns were better than us in 05, Kori?

Or the Pistons better than the Heat last year?

If we look at the correlation between who has the best record in the regular season and who wins it all, the correlation is not that strong (about .5) during the last 15 or so years.

I can't imagine what reply awaits these facts.

bdictjames
03-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Define 'deep trouble'.
I mean there will most likely be no blowouts in the next games. Hard fought battle till the end.

SRJ
03-15-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree that Dallas is very good, but since I haven't seen many of the games I was surprised to see last night (and, admittedly, I only saw the first half) that their defense wasn't very good. Wasn't Avery supposed to have them playing defense? Was the first half's defensive showing just an aberration?

Phoenix forces you to play that high scoring game. Remember in 2005, the way the Spurs-Suns WCF went? The Suns were held under 100 only twice in the five games (92 and 95) and the Spurs had the best scoring defense in the league that season, allowing 88.4 per game. That's Phoenix for you.

foodie2
03-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Phoenix forces you to play that high scoring game. Remember in 2005, the way the Spurs-Suns WCF went? The Suns were held under 100 only twice in the five games (92 and 95) and the Spurs had the best scoring defense in the league that season, allowing 88.4 per game. That's Phoenix for you.

It wasn't just the fact that there was a high score. It just looked like Phoenix was absolutely shredding Dallas' defense on the high pick and rolls. As I said, I didn't see the second half though. Maybe they solved it at half time?

Mavs<Spurs
03-15-2007, 01:39 PM
It wasn't just the fact that there was a high score. It just looked like Phoenix was absolutely shredding Dallas' defense on the high pick and rolls. As I said, I didn't see the second half though. Maybe they solved it at half time?

I agree about the first half. In the third quarter, Dallas played much better defense. On the other hand, in the fourth quarter, Dallas allowed Phoenix to put up 35 points and get the game into OT. In OT, Dallas still seemed to struggle stopping the pick and roll. On the other hand, Suns still continued to allow Dampier to own them on the offensive boards (for Dallas).

Amuseddaysleeper
03-15-2007, 02:22 PM

it's fear and insecurity

I would love for us to beat the mavs and am more confident in the Spurs than at any other point of the season, but the reality is the mavericks have more players who show up consistently whereas for us TD shows up, Manu shows up most of the time, Parker shows up in the first half (though his clutch play is improving to his credit), and everyone else is a complete question mark

DarrinS
03-15-2007, 02:29 PM
The Mavs are WAAAAY better than the Spurs

AT CHOKING

td4mvp3
03-15-2007, 03:55 PM

we're worried and want to see some sort of crack in an armament that seems pretty much unstoppable. saying that the team that has had 3 double-digit game streaks in a single season, which puts them in the same company that only championship teams have ever had, and having been beaten twice on our home floor, makes us jittery and looking for ways to say the end of our season isn't going to come as quickly as those losses make it appear. we're grasping for straws and ignoring the horses.

SpursDynasty
03-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Aren't you the one throwing stuff out the window here? The Mavs regular season success was the buzz about the Mavericks season to that point. The question was asked "Why do people think the Mavs are so great?" and I answered based on the reaction Dallas' success was generating.

Don't confuse what I said with some sort of argument which goes "The Mavs would have finished 74-8 if not for [fill in the blank]." That is absolutely NOT what I was saying.

BTW, 69 wins "isn't bad"? That would tie the 1972 Lakers and the 1997 Bulls for the second best record of all time. Yeah, 69-13 is pretty decent. :lol

No, I'm just saying most people argue in favor of Dallas by saying "Aside from 0-4, we're this and this", or "if we didn't lose to Golden State". And no, 69-13 isn't bad, especially in a league with only 3 solid teams. They won't be in the same league as MJ's 70-wins Bulls anymore though.

mardigan
03-15-2007, 04:30 PM
No, I'm just saying most people argue in favor of Dallas by saying "Aside from 0-4, we're this and this", or "if we didn't lose to Golden State". And no, 69-13 isn't bad, especially in a league with only 3 solid teams. They won't be in the same league as MJ's 70-wins Bulls anymore though.
They could officially still win 70

td4mvp21
03-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't think they are soooo much better than us. I think they are better in their execution, consistency, and rebounding, but hopefully the Spurs can close that gap come playoff time. They are going to be tough. I think you are right, though, the media and a lot of other teams I think overlook the Spurs. That's a good thing for us I think.

dbestpro
03-15-2007, 04:38 PM

The issue with the Mav's is the pounding by mavfans and homer media as one of the greatest teams of all time. With zero champions and only one hall of fame caliber player they have not earned this right. The Spurs by virtue of a greater run of years, championships, and more than one hall of fame level player still do not get the respect they deserve.

Shank
03-15-2007, 05:32 PM
The Spurs by virtue of a greater run of years, championships, and more than one hall of fame level player still do not get the respect they deserve.

You're joking, right?

dallasmavsnfuego214
03-15-2007, 05:46 PM
all of a sudden the Mavs drop a double OT game to the Suns and we're extremely vulnerable?

plus, whoever said we were unbeatable Gods? the reason they have us higher than you is because we have the upper hand in head to head meetings. that simple. dont like it, you have to beat us first. earn your praise

Dalhoop
03-15-2007, 06:43 PM
What GS and the Suns showed is that you CAN out score the Mavs, in the run and gun game. What does that mean to a team like the Spurs?

ZERO.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
03-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Dallas is the home of bigots, fake tits, and frontrunners. What does this mean about Mavs Fans?

Everything.

ALVAREZ6
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Dallas is good.

Believe me, it will be the toughest series against them this year, if it happens.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
03-15-2007, 07:53 PM
plus, whoever said we were unbeatable Gods? the reason they have us higher than you is because we have the upper hand in head to head meetings. that simple. dont like it, you have to beat us first. earn your praise

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/10/photos/nhl-obrientrophy.jpghttp://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/10/photos/nhl-obrientrophy.jpghttp://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/10/photos/nhl-obrientrophy.jpg

Earn these first crack-a-lacka.
:spin

LaMarcus Bryant
03-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I have been cursed by the gods and forced to live in Dallas for some time now, actually over a year, and have caught small stretches of games this year when flipping through the channels....plus I read up on the dallas morning news during lunch..

Basically Dirk is just ridiculous now, he's like the Duncan of their offense, but gets to the foul line much much more than Duncan due to being a jump shooter instead of a banger....and if you don't close guard dirk, he is amazingly accurate on short range jumpers....amazingly accurate....Then they have Josh Howard who is probably the most important Mav after Dirk IMO, who not only creates almost any way he wants, but also plays good individual defense.
Add that to very solid team defense, and very solid team rebounding (dampier is rebounding much better than either of our centers, he actually believes in GETTING POSITION instead of letting the ball fall into his hands--can you believe it?!)
Also Devin Harris is virtually a poor man's tony parker
Jason Terry is their weakness imo, he's so blatantly overrated, and riding the team's coattails
and I believe their bench is just as solid if not more solid than ours
plus the bench has been playing well all season, not just in the month of march.

Shank
03-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Sounds like you wrote that last year.

pking
03-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Man, I don't think any intelligent fans think the Mavs are a whole lot better than the Spurs. I sure as hell don't. I think the Mavs have had a phenomenal season so far, but San Antonio is a fucking phenomenal team -- I never doubted that they'd turn it on this season. (even when some of you Spurs fans did -- don't deny it, just a couple of weeks ago some of you were jumping ship! :lol)

What media are you guys paying attention to? The media I see and hear says 'San Antonio is without question the team to beat in the NBA' after the Mavs lose their first game in 6 weeks. The media I hear talks about how the Mavs have had a phenomenal season but here are the 09283409823 ways that Phoenix, San Anotonio, Detroit and Miami can and/or will beat them. The media I read says that San Antonio is number 1 virtually the ENTIRE time the Mavs are on a 17 game win streak. (not that I give 1 bit of a fuck what Hollinger thinks or what his statistics say, I'm just saying it works to prove my point that the media hasn't really been all that up on the Mavs.)

Oh and by the way, to the guy who was commenting about the Mavs lack of defense last night --- HORRID performance defensively. The last two games, in fact. Worst of the season. Mavs are not by any stretch the best defensive team in the game, but what you saw last night was NOT typical (for this season, anyway...maybe under Nellie) Mavs defense.

pking
03-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Dallas is the home of bigots, fake tits, and frontrunners. What does this mean about Mavs Fans?

Everything.

Have you ever been to Dallas?

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
03-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes.

Next question.

pking
03-15-2007, 09:42 PM
That's a bullshit generalization...but go on with your bad self.

Obstructed_View
03-16-2007, 06:10 AM
he's like the Duncan of their offense, but gets to the foul line much much more than Duncan due to being a jump shooter instead of a banger.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. It's true, but it makes no sense.

Dalhoop
03-16-2007, 06:35 AM
That makes no sense to me whatsoever. It's true, but it makes no sense.

I was a little confused by that line as well. The base it true (He is better shooting them as well), but the reason is completely off.

ponky
03-16-2007, 07:02 AM

Who is saying that? Last night Barkley said that whoever wins the Spurs/Mavs matchup will win the championship...and then he said that he thought the Spurs would win, didn't change his stance even after tonight's loss. I don't think anyone is discounting the Spurs, even if they had some problems earlier in the season...it's always been "but look out for the Spurs" when people talk about the records of the Suns and Mavericks. You may not think they're getting as much hype because of all the talk between Dirk/Nash and MVP and all that other nonsense with the records and standings and rankings but this has nothing to do with the playoffs and I don't think anyone is trying to act like it does.

My own feeling is that the Spurs have finally shown up this season and are playing very well. Do I think they're playing better than the Mavericks? No, but I also don't think they're playing worse than the Mavericks.

ponky
03-16-2007, 07:15 AM
I have been cursed by the gods and forced to live in Dallas for some time now, actually over a year, and have caught small stretches of games this year when flipping through the channels....plus I read up on the dallas morning news during lunch..

Basically Dirk is just ridiculous now, he's like the Duncan of their offense, but gets to the foul line much much more than Duncan due to being a jump shooter instead of a banger....and if you don't close guard dirk, he is amazingly accurate on short range jumpers....amazingly accurate....Then they have Josh Howard who is probably the most important Mav after Dirk IMO, who not only creates almost any way he wants, but also plays good individual defense.
Add that to very solid team defense, and very solid team rebounding (dampier is rebounding much better than either of our centers, he actually believes in GETTING POSITION instead of letting the ball fall into his hands--can you believe it?!)
Also Devin Harris is virtually a poor man's tony parker
Jason Terry is their weakness imo, he's so blatantly overrated, and riding the team's coattails
and I believe their bench is just as solid if not more solid than ours
plus the bench has been playing well all season, not just in the month of march.

This is not correct. This season, Duncan has been to the FT line 443 times in 64 games (made 289) and Dirk has been to the FT line 471 times in 62 games (made 424). So basically, Duncan goes to the line an average of 6.92 times per game and Dirk goes to the line an average of 7.59 times per game, a difference of about 0.60, not really that much of a difference, especially when you consider that Dirk plays a couple of more minutes per game than Duncan, maybe like 2.5 min more.

Clutch20
03-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Mentally manipulating &
Electronically
Diluting
Intelligence of
Average fan

SRJ
03-16-2007, 05:49 PM
The issue with the Mav's is the pounding by mavfans and homer media as one of the greatest teams of all time. With zero champions and only one hall of fame caliber player they have not earned this right. The Spurs by virtue of a greater run of years, championships, and more than one hall of fame level player still do not get the respect they deserve.

People confuse the terms "team" and "franchise" all the time, and this is the latest example.

The 2005 Spurs are not the 2003 Spurs are not the 1999 Spurs. Since Duncan arrived, the franchise has experienced more success than every team going (tied with the Lakers in championships, but the Spurs have won more games). However, team accomplishments are year-to-year, and the Mavs were at one point on pace to win 70 games - that's why this particular team was getting the praise they were getting. If the Mavs had won 70 and gone on to win the championship, that is certainly one of the greatest teams of all time (top five). Hell, if they can win 65 and go on to win the championship, that would also be one of the greatest teams of all time (top fifteen).

smrattler
03-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Mavs are good. Really, really good. They'll be the number 1 seed, the Suns are #2. If we work hard, we're #3. We're gonna have a little challenge in the 2st round, but to get to the Finals, we'll have to beat 2 pretty damn good teams. And people tend to think getting the Suns in the 2nd round is just a bump in the road to a rematch with the Mavs. I saw that game the other night, the Suns are no cakewalk and very easily could shut the door on us if we don't get our act together defensively and get our bench shooters to shoot well.