PDA

View Full Version : Zogby confirms liberal media bias.

Yonivore
03-15-2007, 12:13 PM
The Men Behind the Curtain (http://fallbackbelmont.blogspot.com/2007/03/men-behind-curtain.html)

Eighty three percent of American voters think the media is biased one way or the other, according to a Zogby poll (http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1262). But most believe that media is biased in the liberal direction.

While 97% of Republicans surveyed said the media are liberal, two-thirds of political independents feel the same, but fewer than one in four independents (23%) said they saw a conservative bias. Democrats, while much more likely to perceive a conservative bias than other groups, were not nearly as sure the media was against them as were the Republicans. While Republicans were unified in their perception of a left-wing media, just two-thirds of Democrats were certain the media skewed right – and 17% said the bias favored the left.
Maybe voters now accept media "bias" as the actual state of the world and in an era of wider consumer choice, will simply patronize outlets reflecting their point of view. British newspapers have longed been aligned with political parties. No one was foolish enough to think the Guardian was neutral; it was the house organ of a particular point of view. But if this change in voter attitude persists it will create problems for media empires which strive to project themselves as being "above it all". In what sense can the New York Times remain the 'newspaper of record' in a marketplace where 83% of the readers think that the media is partisan? Maybe it is better for them to simply nail their colors to the mast and let their readers allow for point of view.
Somebody graph that. It would appear to me, on the whole, most Americans believe the media to be liberally biased.

I know, Shocker!!!

FromWayDowntown
03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
The Men Behind the Curtain (http://fallbackbelmont.blogspot.com/2007/03/men-behind-curtain.html)

Somebody graph that. It would appear to me, on the whole, most Americans believe the media to be liberally biased.

I know, Shocker!!!

That most people believe the media to be liberally biased is not proof that there is media bias. I'm not saying that there isn't such bias -- though I think the direction of the bias depends largely on what media you pay attention to -- but people's beliefs aren't proof of anything other than what those people believe. After all, if a vast majority of people believe that the moon is made of green cheese, that doesn't prove that the moon is made of green cheese.

And the conclusion is hardly surprising, given all of the soundbite kvetching from the right about liberal media bias.

boutons_
03-15-2007, 12:33 PM
There's a vast right wing conspiracy, including the pissed-off right wing wing media, to sell this bias bullshit, install the right's bias, to the sheeple/rabble, to demonize anybody and anything that isn't hard right, to present the right as pure as driven snow, as innocent victims.

And of course, the right wing media isn't biased at all.

Well, the right and conservatives gave us dubya/dickhead who gave us Iraq, so they can all go fuck themselves.

SRJ
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
There's a vast right wing conspiracy, including the pissed-off right wing wing media, to sell this bias bullshit, install the right's bias, to the sheeple/rabble, to demonize anybody and anything that isn't hard right, to present the right as pure as driven snow, as innocent victims.

What color is the sky on your planet?

ChumpDumper
03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
So the Fox News poll confirms Bush is doing a shitty job.

I know, Shocker!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,144315,00.html

johnsmith
03-15-2007, 12:43 PM
So the Fox News poll confirms Bush is doing a shitty job.

I know, Shocker!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,144315,00.html

Way to keep the thread on topic.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2007, 12:44 PM
It's about polls.

George Gervin's Afro
03-15-2007, 02:14 PM
You mean all of the moaning and bitching about the 'bias' in the media for the last 10 yrs people now have that perception? Really? Sort of like Fox repeating over nad over and over again that they are fair and balanced..

I guess bias is now "anything bad about republicans'.. that's ok and the GOP is still getting their asses kicked in elections..

George Gervin's Afro
03-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I have to laugh when I hear the talk radio circuit complain about the biased media.. because ask yourself who benefits from that perception?....................................... .................................................. ................... If you guess talk radio you are correct!!! Same thing with Fox ...always complaining about biased in the 'mainstream media'..... again who benefits?......................................... .................................................. ......Fox News! If you could apply this scenerio to any industry... company A who sells what company b does ..... Company A goes out and spreads propaganda of how bad company B is.. most rationale people will think company A obviously has a vested interest in seeing company b fail.... can you say conflict of interest?... You would be correct again!!!! no fox is fair and balanced and talk radio is the bastion of objectivity... :lol

FromWayDowntown
03-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I have to laugh when I hear the talk radio circuit complain about the biased media.. because ask yourself who benefits from that perception?....................................... .................................................. ................... If you guess talk radio you are correct!!! Same thing with Fox ...always complaining about biased in the 'mainstream media'..... again who benefits?......................................... .................................................. ......Fox News! If you could apply this scenerio to any industry... company A who sells what company b does ..... Company A goes out and spreads propaganda of how bad company B is.. most rationale people will think company A obviously has a vested interest in seeing company b fail.... can you say conflict of interest?... You would be correct again!!!! no fox is fair and balanced and talk radio is the bastion of objectivity... :lol

Yeah, but the media is biased.

Yonivore proved it. :dramaquee

Yonivore
03-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, but the media is biased.

Yonivore proved it. :dramaquee
Absolutely.

Winery
03-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Liberal Media Rulz!!!!

Don Quixote
03-15-2007, 03:17 PM
The liberal bias is nothing new. The media was who they were going back to at least the 60's. Growing up in the 80s, all I heard was: Reagan's an idiot, Vietnam was a mistake, Gorbachev is a genuis, America is bad. If that's your position today, I disagree, but I respect it.

The only reason that people are made aware of liberal bias today is the fact that there is a conservative media that didn't exist prior to about 1988. Before then, the Big 3, CNN, and the newspapers were unchallenged. Rush played a part in organizing a large movement that had been quiet for a long time, and within a few years, the Right was able to have most of talk radio, a cable news channel, and some, but not very much, of the internet.

I've never found FoxNews to be terribly biased, but even if they are somewhat right-leaning, so what? How about this. We'll let the Left have FoxNews, the Wall Street Journal, and talk radio, and the Right can take the Big 3, PMSNBC, CNN, PBS, NPR, Hollywood, the BBC, the NY Times, Al-Jazeera and, most importantly .... the View.

So, I don't see why liberals are so upset. First of all ... you guys won! (the last elections) And two, you guys still control the lion's share of the media, hands down. Don't pick on Fox News. They're small potatoes.

clambake
03-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Who's upset? I'm proud of Fox for the interview where he admitted the war was over oil. That's the one time he finally told the truth. Thank you Fox!

Don Quixote
03-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Who's upset? I'm proud of Fox for the interview where he admitted the war was over oil. That's the one time he finally told the truth. Thank you Fox!

Who's he? Cite, please.

clambake
03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
He's Bush. Fox interview with Bill O'Reilly. You might be able to view it at Fox news.com. Approximately 2-3 months ago?

Don Quixote
03-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Hmmm. Let me get this straight. Bush told Bill O'Reilly, "yep, everyone's right. We did it for oil"?

clambake
03-16-2007, 10:29 AM
He said "it's about oil and how they will use it as extortion". Feel free to examine the interview, because I sense your scepticism.

On the other hand, if you were to suggest that he was lying when he said it, then that would be a point that's impossible to argue.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2007, 11:05 AM
That damn liberal media!! :cuss

Spurminator
03-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Somebody graph that.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7751/biasnk6.jpg

DarkReign
03-16-2007, 12:27 PM
pwnd

Oh, Gee!!
03-16-2007, 03:50 PM
The only thing this poll confirms is that conservatives are paranoid

ChumpDumper
03-16-2007, 04:16 PM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7751/biasnk6.jpg
:lmao

Don Quixote
03-19-2007, 02:57 PM
He said "it's about oil and how they will use it as extortion". Feel free to examine the interview, because I sense your scepticism.

On the other hand, if you were to suggest that he was lying when he said it, then that would be a point that's impossible to argue.

Sorry, searched the archive, didn't find it.

Look, oil is an unavoidable aspect of foreign policy. The likes of OPEC and other unfriendly groups have used it for years to get all kinds of concessions from us. Is it right? No, but dang, we're an industrialized country, and we need oil. Our oil companies explored it, found it, and paid for it, just like you and I do when we go to the pump.

Does this mean the Iraq War/Conflict was a petty, vindictive oil grab? No. (This brings up a more general question: can't we disagree with policy the Pres. and WH do without assigning to them sinister motives and evil intentions?) I think the oil co's are relieved that we will, in due time, be trading with a friendly nation, as opposed to Saddam (whom we embargoed) and other less-than-friendly states. Again, the co's will not be stealing the oil or anything. They'll pay for it.

xrayzebra
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Well you dumb twerp, oil most certainly does play a part in
our war in the ME. Where do you think we get a good
portion of our oil? Texas! Without oil for energy our country
would really be down the drain. Thanks to twerps like you
we cant go after our own oil, which there is lots of oil still
untapped. Speaking the truth is so foreign to you dimm-o-craps you start making fun of it.

What do you think would happen to "our" country if the
terrorist wins and controls all of the oil in the ME? They
are going to just lower the price and sell it to the good
old United States, their Satan? Get a life would you.

clambake
03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
If oil is justification enough for war, then why not come out and say it? Why wait four years? Why manufacture "just cause"? The money and lives spent on this corrupt war could have been used to find alternative fuel sources for our grandchildren. Or was it for something else?

9 billion dollars doesn't just disappear.

boutons_
03-19-2007, 08:19 PM
"Again, the co's will not be stealing the oil or anything. They'll pay for it."

You haven't been paying attention.

With Saddam in power, the US/UK oilcos were not operating in Iraq.

With Saddam replaced with a supposedly grateful/friendly govt, the US/UK oilcos would have their opening. The recent Iraqi oil law is supposed to set up oilco-favored production-sharing contracts (much more lucrative for foreign oilcos) rather than the lease contracts.

So, as the PNAC/AIE/neo-cunt stategy goes, the (cheap, quick, painlesss, slam-dunk) Iraq war (self-financing from Iraqi oil commandeered temporarily by US/UK) was primarily an oil grab where the US/UK oilcos where the go from NO presence in in the Iraqi oil profit flow to extremely lucrative production-sharing contracts for Iraqi oil that is 1) comparatively shallow (cheap to extract). and 2) very high quality (less refining cost). 100s of $Bs of profits for the US/UK oilcos for decades.

With all the other Iraqi war justififcations being lies, bullshit, disproven, in the context of the worst, most incompetent,sinister Exec in modern time, the oil grab is left as the most plausible.