PDA

View Full Version : Still sticking to my original prediction

lebomb
03-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Spurs will NOT win the ship this year.

I still dont see it.......13 game win streak or not. I just dont think they can win 4 of 7 from Dallas or Phoenix.

:ihit me if you must......Im calling it as I see it.

I love my Spurs still.....and I PRAY Im wrong. :hang

lebomb
03-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Bump for two straight losses to cellar dwellers. :bang

DarrinS
03-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Hey, maybe Dallas and Phoenix will beat the crap out of each other in a 7 game series and the winner will be tired.

LEONARD
03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey, maybe Dallas and Phoenix will beat the crap out of each other in a 7 game series and the winner will be tired.

How do you figure that matchup happens??? Spurs gonna catch the Mavs?? :hat

DarrinS
03-19-2007, 02:23 PM
How do you figure that matchup happens??? Spurs gonna catch the Mavs?? :hat

You're right. My bad.

Flight3107
03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Spurs/Suns 2nd round

:hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

mardigan
03-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Spursdynasty, is that you? Great thread about your amazing prediction

monosylab1k
03-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Spurs/Suns 2nd round

:hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

Yeah, but Mavs fans will be sorely disappointed by it. They're expecting a 7 game dogfight that will wear out the winner, leaving them as easy picking for the Mavs in the WCF.....but the Spurs are going to win in 5 over Phoenix.

LEONARD
03-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Spursdynasty, is that you? Great thread about your amazing prediction

Where is SD today?

To pick any one team and say they won't win isn't exactly a statistical stretch... :lol

I mean the odds of being right are probably only about 20% maybe?

mardigan
03-19-2007, 02:42 PM
I think SD went into hiding after he jinxed the Spurs, nobody wanted to hear shit from him

Flight3107
03-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah, but Mavs fans will be sorely disappointed by it. They're expecting a 7 game dogfight that will wear out the winner, leaving them as easy picking for the Mavs in the WCF.....but the Spurs are going to win in 5 over Phoenix.

Definitely will not be a 5 game series.

spursreport
03-19-2007, 04:15 PM
If the Mavs have to face a healthy Rocket team round 2, I guarantee you that they wont be any easier. Houston would push Dallas 6-7 games and that will be a hard fought series. Expect Spurs/Suns and Rockets/Mavs to be 2 brutal potiental 2nd round 7 game series

stretch
03-19-2007, 05:30 PM
If the Mavs have to face a healthy Rocket team round 2, I guarantee you that they wont be any easier. Houston would push Dallas 6-7 games and that will be a hard fought series. Expect Spurs/Suns and Rockets/Mavs to be 2 brutal potiental 2nd round 7 game series
Yao is just as soft as Dirk was 3-4 years ago. He will get his points, but is not capable of leading his team to victory. T-Mac is good, and is about the only truly good thing they have going for them. Their other players are too inconsistent, young, and they lack depth majorly. They have no one that can guard Dirk. Howard, Harris, Stack, and Terry will also be tough guards, and they dont have enough people to stop more than 2 of those guys at a time. The Mavs can rotate Howard, George, and Buckner on T-Mac. That, and they have Jeff Van Gundy. The Mavs simply have too much depth and firepower over the Rockets, plus 100000000000000000000000000000x better coaching.

Mavs in 5, maybe a sweep.

BUMP
03-19-2007, 05:31 PM

not sure about that. the games might be competitive but we are definitely in their heads and i would be surprised if it wasnt a sweep. we close them out easily.

im really worried about the Jazz, i'd rather not face them. i know they would win one if not two against us.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-19-2007, 05:46 PM
i agree with bump

I think the mavs could take out the rockets in five, possibly 6 if they don't show up for a game

The jazz on the other hand could give the mavs a fight on the battle of the boards and play very physical.

do mavs fans still think the spurs will push them to 7 should they meet in the playoffs?

At this rate, if we're fortunate, we'll be lucky to last 6

(sigh)

mardigan
03-19-2007, 05:48 PM
i agree with bump

I think the mavs could take out the rockets in five, possibly 6 if they don't show up for a game

The jazz on the other hand could give the mavs a fight on the battle of the boards and play very physical.

do mavs fans still think the spurs will push them to 7 should they meet in the playoffs?

(sigh)
Its true, we might not be able to push it to 7, but hopefully Utah can wear the Mavs down a little

SpursDynasty
03-19-2007, 05:52 PM
i agree with bump

(sigh)

Don't be fooled by everyone here. Remember, to most Spurs fans, 1 Spurs loss to a sub-.500 team = Signaling the end of the Spurs' championship hopes.

With Golden State sitting at the #8 seed, you know they will give Dallas a run. Then Dallas would have Utah in the 2nd round if all the seeds stay the same...correct? GS and Utah are two teams that have given Dallas some real competition this year. They don't flake out and play crap basketball vs Dallas like most teams. How much will they have left by the WCF?

When it comes down to SA, PHX, DAL, and UTA, the other 3 teams have made up for 3 out of 11 Dallas losses, and GS (Dallas' likely first round opponent), has made up for 2 more of those 11 losses. Like Rasheed says, the ball doesn't lie (or something to that extent), and that won't change come playoff time.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Don't be fooled by everyone here. Remember, to most Spurs fans, 1 Spurs loss to a sub-.500 team = Signaling the end of the Spurs' championship hopes.

here's the difference with the mavs and spurs

it's crunch time, it's a tied game with 4 minutes to go

THE MAVS:

The team plays tighter defense

If outside shots aren't falling, they take it to the hoop for the foul

oh, and they got this guy named Nowitzki, who despite some naysayers, actually does his clutch shots automatically down the stretch.

And they actually have a coach who knows how to make use of his personnel

The Mavs come away with the win

THE SPURS:

They play lockdown D but that isn't the problem

It's the offense

We'll either have a point guard who tries to do too much in crunch time and resorts to an outside shot that hasn't shown up in weeks

or we'll have our perimeter defender being the primary ball handler in crunch time while our big man never touches the ball.

Or manu will have 35 points, yet Pop will sit him for 8 out of th 12 minutes in the fourth.

The Spurs failure to execute down the stretch to the lesser teams is the problem. If we can't even execute our plays against the Celtics, how are we supposed to do so against the Mavs?

Spurs fans will argue with me on this but the Mavs have an extra gear.

The Spurs can play much better when they turn it on, but every 3 steps forward they take in a game, they take 9 steps backward in the final minute due to inexcusable costly mistakes.

Factor in that our coach has deteriorated to the point where I honestly feel like he's a liability when he's in charge and forces small ball on a team that isn't equipped for it and you have just found yourself a 6 game series and an entire off season that will most likely result in nothing to show for it.

I just hope to god I am proven wrong

spursreport
03-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Yao is just as soft as Dirk was 3-4 years ago. He will get his points, but is not capable of leading his team to victory. T-Mac is good, and is about the only truly good thing they have going for them. Their other players are too inconsistent, young, and they lack depth majorly. They have no one that can guard Dirk. Howard, Harris, Stack, and Terry will also be tough guards, and they dont have enough people to stop more than 2 of those guys at a time. The Mavs can rotate Howard, George, and Buckner on T-Mac. That, and they have Jeff Van Gundy. The Mavs simply have too much depth and firepower over the Rockets, plus 100000000000000000000000000000x better coaching.

Mavs in 5, maybe a sweep.

Mavs sweeping Houston or beating them in 5? :drunk :drunk You really are underestimating the Rockets if you truly think that. Yao has been a monster this season and Battier is no scrub. Get over yourself on thinking the road to the finals is going to be easier then last year because it wont. The Mavs are a good team but they arent sweeping anyone after the first round. It is going to get alot tougher after round 1. The Rockets managed to keep winning without Yao so I guess that was just luck. :rolleyes :rolleyes Oh yeah Houston can play defense and rebound the ball as well. Houston matches up well with Dallas and its going at least 6 games. Again Dallas has a much tougher road this year then they did last year.

spursreport
03-19-2007, 08:44 PM
On a side note, the Mavs have no interior post offense. Name me one team outside of Jordan's bulls who have been able to win titles without that? Driving to the hoop only does so much. That is like thinking short dump passes to your running back makes up for lack of a running game in football. I am really shocked no one has even mentioned that. Mavs arent miles ahead of all these teams in the west and they arent unbeatable either. They still have alot to prove.

itzsoweezee
03-19-2007, 09:06 PM
yao will fucking destroy the mavs pathetic frontcourt. the rockets actually match up pretty well against the mavs. especially with battier on the roster.

any of the top 5 teams can win their second round series.

SequSpur
03-19-2007, 09:12 PM
The Spurs couldn't beat an Eastern Conference lottery team.. blow me.

LEONARD
03-20-2007, 09:09 AM

With Golden State sitting at the #8 seed, you know they will give Dallas a run. Then Dallas would have Utah in the 2nd round if all the seeds stay the same...correct? GS and Utah are two teams that have given Dallas some real competition this year. They don't flake out and play crap basketball vs Dallas like most teams. How much will they have left by the WCF?

When it comes down to SA, PHX, DAL, and UTA, the other 3 teams have made up for 3 out of 11 Dallas losses, and GS (Dallas' likely first round opponent), has made up for 2 more of those 11 losses. Like Rasheed says, the ball doesn't lie (or something to that extent), and that won't change come playoff time.

You're still here??? :donkey

mabber
03-20-2007, 10:48 AM

GState would be lucky to win 1 game in a series with Dallas.

So you're saying that most teams flake out and play poorly against the Mavs and that's really the only reason they win games? :rolleyes

LEONARD
03-20-2007, 10:58 AM
So you're saying that most teams flake out and play poorly against the Mavs and that's really the only reason they win games? :rolleyes

Yep, he's been saying that for a while now :lol

mabber
03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Yep, he's been saying that for a while now :lol

I wonder if he truely believes that? :lol

stretch
03-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Probably. He is stupid enough to believe it.

EVAY
03-20-2007, 11:29 AM
here's the difference with the mavs and spurs

I'm a spurs fan who agrees with you 100%. The Mavs are the best this year, and I believe they are going to take it because they are so much hungrier. The spurs, with the exception of Manu, have no more fire in their belly for the competition, and that includes Pop.

it's crunch time, it's a tied game with 4 minutes to go

THE MAVS:

The team plays tighter defense

If outside shots aren't falling, they take it to the hoop for the foul

oh, and they got this guy named Nowitzki, who despite some naysayers, actually does his clutch shots automatically down the stretch.

And they actually have a coach who knows how to make use of his personnel

The Mavs come away with the win

THE SPURS:

They play lockdown D but that isn't the problem

It's the offense

We'll either have a point guard who tries to do too much in crunch time and resorts to an outside shot that hasn't shown up in weeks

or we'll have our perimeter defender being the primary ball handler in crunch time while our big man never touches the ball.

Or manu will have 35 points, yet Pop will sit him for 8 out of th 12 minutes in the fourth.

The Spurs failure to execute down the stretch to the lesser teams is the problem. If we can't even execute our plays against the Celtics, how are we supposed to do so against the Mavs?

Spurs fans will argue with me on this but the Mavs have an extra gear.

The Spurs can play much better when they turn it on, but every 3 steps forward they take in a game, they take 9 steps backward in the final minute due to inexcusable costly mistakes.

Factor in that our coach has deteriorated to the point where I honestly feel like he's a liability when he's in charge and forces small ball on a team that isn't equipped for it and you have just found yourself a 6 game series and an entire off season that will most likely result in nothing to show for it.

I just hope to god I am proven wrong

LEONARD
03-20-2007, 11:50 AM

He does...he's delusional...

SRJ
03-20-2007, 04:32 PM
OK - we've had recent additions of Jay Mariotti and Woody Paige??

Ha ha, we get it, very funny, and since we do, there's no need for any of the following new user names:

JA Adande
Jim Armstrong
Tim Cowlishaw
Michael Holley
Jackie MacMullan
Bill Plaschke
Bob Ryan
Michael Smith
Max Kellerman
Tony Reali
Disembodied Voice

thanks.

mardigan
03-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I think there might already be a Jackie McMullen

SpursDynasty
03-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Jay, you've got to be kidding me. This Spurs team is old and not athletic enough to hang with the Suns, Mavericks, or Nuggets. They'd better hope they can get something out of Elson and Oberto in the playoffs, or they will be one and done!

The team is built around a young Ginobili, Duncan, and Parker. No older than 30 in SA's Big Three. Conveniently, the "Spurs are old and unathletic" bandwagon members choose to mention the ages of SA's bench.

If I remember correctly, SA's bench in 2003 consisted of Steve Kerr, Kevin Willis, Steve Smith, and Danny Ferry, and others who made up a higher average age than this year's bench.

The Spurs' championships in 2003 and 2005 were won by defense, not athletic offense which you're looking for. Go watch the Suns for that.

***THE SPURS ARE #1 IN LOWEST OPPONENT'S POINTS PER GAME THIS YEAR AFTER 66 GAMES, JUST LIKE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP YEARS. WHAT MORE DO YOU ALL WANT?***

Most people don't notice because the streak is over now, but the Spurs played awesome old-school Spurs defense during the first 12 games of that 13 game streak. Oh, and in the closing minutes of that Celtics game, too. Bowen's turnover threw the game away.

lebomb
03-21-2007, 07:05 AM
I still dont think the Spurs can be the Mavericks or Suns in 7 games........ :fight

Jimcs50
03-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Spurs will NOT win the ship this year.

I still dont see it.......13 game win streak or not. I just dont think they can win 4 of 7 from Dallas or Phoenix.

:ihit me if you must......Im calling it as I see it.

I love my Spurs still.....and I PRAY Im wrong. :hang

I agree, we have no shot at all.

Time for Pop to retire and for SA to spend some money to get a supporting cast for TD before he retires, otherwise the championship days are over and done with.

mabber
03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
The team is built around a young Ginobili, Duncan, and Parker. No older than 30 in SA's Big Three. Conveniently, the "Spurs are old and unathletic" bandwagon members choose to mention the ages of SA's bench.

If I remember correctly, SA's bench in 2003 consisted of Steve Kerr, Kevin Willis, Steve Smith, and Danny Ferry, and others who made up a higher average age than this year's bench.

The Spurs' championships in 2003 and 2005 were won by defense, not athletic offense which you're looking for. Go watch the Suns for that.

***THE SPURS ARE #1 IN LOWEST OPPONENT'S POINTS PER GAME THIS YEAR AFTER 66 GAMES, JUST LIKE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP YEARS. WHAT MORE DO YOU ALL WANT?***

Most people don't notice because the streak is over now, but the Spurs played awesome old-school Spurs defense during the first 12 games of that 13 game streak. Oh, and in the closing minutes of that Celtics game, too. Bowen's turnover threw the game away.

I don't think the Spur's defense is that good. I just think that all the teams that they hold to low point totals have bad shooting nights against them. :rolleyes

Isn't that similar to your reason for the Mavs winning games? :lol

LEONARD
03-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Yep, it's clear that teams just don't show up to play the Spurs... :lol

SpursDynasty
03-21-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't think the Spur's defense is that good. I just think that all the teams that they hold to low point totals have bad shooting nights against them. :rolleyes

Isn't that similar to your reason for the Mavs winning games? :lol

Well, the point of having defense at all is to keep the opponent to the lowest number of points and field goal percentage as possible. SA is #1 in one of those, and #4 in the other.

SA's offense sucks at times, and they turn the ball over too much, which masks how good their defense still is.

It doesn't make them any less good defensively, they just need to put the ball in the hoop and stop having butter fingers.

Oh, and Utah and GS have shown up to play when they play Dallas, Dallas is 1-3 vs those teams so far this season. Those are likely Dallas' first and second round opponents. The easy days will be over once the playoffs start. No Grizzlies or Amare-less Suns this year for Dallas.

DarrinS
03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Jay, you've got to be kidding me. This Spurs team is old and not athletic enough to hang with the Suns, Mavericks, or Nuggets. They'd better hope they can get something out of Elson and Oberto in the playoffs, or they will be one and done!

You had a good point up until you dropped the Nuggets into the mix.