PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Celtics finally figure out a way to defeat Spurs

Kori Ellis
03-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Celtics finally figure out a way to defeat Spurs

Web Posted: 03/18/2007 12:14 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

As the closing seconds ticked away late Saturday at the AT&T Center, and history, finally, was within his grasp, Paul Pierce looked over the scorer's table at Boston announcer Tommy Heinsohn and smiled.

"It's about time," Pierce said.

Seventeen years and 31 days, to be exact.

Fueled by nearly two decades of losing here — and a season's worth of frustration — the Boston Celtics stared down what appeared to be another memorable comeback by the Spurs, beating them 91-85 behind Pierce's late-game heroics.

The Celtics' first victory in San Antonio since Feb. 14, 1990, and their first on any court against Tim Duncan, came appropriately enough on St. Patrick's Day. Boston didn't rely on the luck of the Irish — unless that was a leprechaun who put a lid over the Spurs' basket — as much as it did Pierce's talent.

Having never beaten the Spurs in his nine-year career, Pierce scored 30 points, made two tough shots in the final 86 seconds and drew a critical charge on Manu Ginobili, preserving the Celtics' victory after they surrendered a 19-point lead in the second half.

"It was more like getting a gorilla off my back," Pierce said.

The 260-pound load on Pierce's back was Duncan, who looked ready to extend his career victory total over Boston to 19 consecutive games when he tossed in a short hook shot with 1:34 left. Pierce, however, ended the Spurs' rally, answering with a tough fadeaway over Bruce Bowen.

Bowen then compounded matters by losing the ball as he tried to drive through the lane, leading to an easy dunk by Gerald Green. Tony Parker, who led the Spurs with 30 points, banked in a shot only to have it waved off when he was called for traveling.

Pierce followed with another fadeaway over Bowen, then sealed the victory by absorbing a charge from Ginobili. After winning 13 consecutive games, the Spurs now have a two-game losing streak.

"Paul's a good player, and he's been in that situation numerous times," Bowen said. "You don't want them taking something they're comfortable with. I know he likes to step back, and he hit the last two he took, going left and right.

"You just want to make sure you make it as tough as possible, and he made the big shots when he needed them."

Duncan looked poised to be the hero after helping lead the Spurs back from a 19-point deficit with less than a minute left in the third quarter. Unable to keep Boston off the boards even with two big men on the floor, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich elected to go small and surround Duncan — who totaled 20 points, 16 rebounds and seven blocks — with four guards.

The move allowed the Spurs to get back in the game. Had those guards also been able to hit a shot, the Spurs might have even been able to win.

The Spurs missed 16 of their 17 3-point attempts, including their first 14, and shot 37.3 percent overall. They also blew a number of layup attempts.

"We played poorly the first three quarters," Popovich said, "and they played hard and deserved to win the game."

Despite owning the NBA's second-worst record, the Celtics haven't seemed too intent on trying to better position themselves for the NBA's draft lottery. They entered Saturday with six victories in their past 10 games and nearly upset Dallas on Friday night.

Boston apparently took more fuel than satisfaction from its near-miss against the Mavericks. The Celtics made 10 of their first 13 shots, and the Spurs didn't find the other end of the floor any easier going.

Looking like the dead-legged team Boston was supposed to resemble while playing its fourth game in five nights, the Spurs set a season low with 15 points in the first quarter.

Celtics guard Delonte West, who scored 23 points after spending much of the day sick in his hotel room, put the Spurs in a 15-point hole early in the second quarter. The Spurs drew within 45-40 at halftime only to watch the Celtics open the second half much like the first.

The Spurs didn't take their first rebound of the second half until only 5:18 remained in the third quarter. With a little more than three minutes remaining in the quarter, Rajon Rondo, the Celtics' long-armed point guard, had 13 rebounds, just one fewer than the Spurs' starting five had collected up to that point.

"That was just a bad start for whatever reason," Duncan said. "I don't have an explanation for any of that. It was what it was.

"It comes to the fourth quarter, and we have a chance to win or lose it, and it just didn't go our way."

The Celtics know the feeling.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031807.01C.BKNspurs.celtics.gamer.3614101.html

Kori Ellis
03-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Unable to keep Boston off the boards even with two big men on the floor, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich elected to go small and surround Duncan — who totaled 20 points, 16 rebounds and seven blocks — with four guards.

I know small ball worked to get them back in the game tonight.

But it freakin' sucks that the bigs aren't good enough to keep one of them on floor :pctoss

Small ball isn't going to work over big stretches in the postseason, the Spurs will get worked over on the glass. :(

Come on just one of Elson, Oberto, Horry, Bonner, Ely, or Butler, please step up.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-18-2007, 01:35 AM
I didn't watch the game, so I cant really comment on it. But being out scored 3 out of 4 quarters tells me that the Spurs didn't come to play. It shouldn't have to come down to late game heroics when your playing the Celtic's on the second night of their back to back after they played the mavs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Come on just one of Elson, Oberto, Horry, Bonner, Ely, or Butler, please step up.

You really hit a sore spot with me right now, Kori. We know what we have with Elson, Oberto, Horry, and Bonner. Give Ely some run damnit. I think they'd be pleasantly surprised.

What's the worse thing that can happen? Pop says fuck it and goes back to Finley as his PF and we get smoked again by the Mavs?

Pop needs to step out of the damn box and try something different.

Kori Ellis
03-18-2007, 01:51 AM
You really hit a sore spot with me right now, Kori. We know what we have with Elson, Oberto, Horry, and Bonner. Give Ely some run damnit. I think they'd be pleasantly surprised.

What's the worse thing that can happen? Pop says fuck it and goes back to Finley as his PF and we get smoked again by the Mavs?

Pop needs to step out of the damn box and try something different.

I agree with you. I don't care if they even start Bonner or Ely at PF :lol and Tim at C. It's obvious that he doesn't think he is going to get enough out of Elson/Oberto. So they should dig into their other resources.

whottt
03-18-2007, 01:58 AM
We don't have a clue what Elson and Oberto can do under pressure...they never on the court to show it.

I don't care what Elson rebounds, what rotations he misses, or how much he disappears when he's getting banged around, he makes us tougher defensively just because of his size and speed...and every broadcaster that broadcasts a game makes note of it.

Plenty of Video evidence to back this point up...

mavs>spurs2
03-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Elson has potential, I could tell that after the first Spurs-Mavs game on opening night. They just need to give him more playing time to help his confidence.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-18-2007, 02:16 AM
the spurs don't run enough with elson

he woulda really blossomed with phoenix

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Pop makes me mad, because he's so INSISTENT on perfect play from his bigs. Try ANY BIG we have a lot of them!

and why is he so IN LOVE with Small Ball?? BONNER, ELY, Somebody!!!

THE SIXTH MAN
03-18-2007, 02:41 AM
Pop makes me mad, because he's so INSISTENT on perfect play from his bigs. Try ANY BIG we have a lot of them!

and why is he so IN LOVE with Small Ball?? BONNER, ELY, Somebody!!!
THats one thing that I always ask myself. I mean is he really trying to get the team used to playing small ball now so that he can go to it in the playoffs. I mean last year when we played Dallas, was that the first time that the team had to go small for that season? If so maybe like I said he wants them to be familiar with it this time around?

whottt
03-18-2007, 02:43 AM
The only hope I have is that maybe Pop is trying to hide the strengths of the team from other coaches...

Unfortunately, last year series against the Mavs proves that...no, he really likes this small ball crap.

Too bad Pop didn't watch the finals.

Kori Ellis
03-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Last year he had to go small. Rasho and Nazr were too slow to be able to do anything.

Elson is tall and fast, but obviously at this point Pop isn't using him a lot. I'm not sure Elson is a good answer, but at least it wouldn't be Barry, Fin or Bruce guarding a 4. He also has options of Ely and Bonner. (I don't like Oberto on the court).

I'd like him to mess around and use Bonner and Ely a little if he has given up on Elson/Oberto in bulk minutes.

whottt
03-18-2007, 02:48 AM
It's funny to me the way the SmallBall lineup makes every team we play look like the 97 Bulls...

Dallas Mavs looked like one of the best teams in history kicking our butts with that lineup...then Pat Riley comes out and proves they are still a weak half court team lacking the heart of a champion...with a roster of hasbeens.

The Celtics are a horrible team, they are inexperienced...and we made them look like world beaters tonight...

I am not talking about the Spurs halfassing the first half..

I am talking about 81-81 in the 4th and Duncan hits a beautiful shot to put us up by 2...and the Celtics come out and make us look like the lottery team.

And the Spurs were not taking them lightly at that point...they were giving it everything they had.

They wanted that game, and you could see on Duncan's face that he was well aware of the Celtics history...and Duncan didn't want to lose this game. He stepped it way way up...

And we got that damn small lineup out there that's not even a good offensive lineup...much less a defensive line or one that is going to get rebounds.

whottt
03-18-2007, 02:57 AM
Last year he had to go small. Rasho and Nazr were too slow to be able to do anything.

You know...

I coulda sworn that one kidneyed Zo knocking Dirk on his ass did a lot more to stop him than anything the Spurs did against him...Dirk wanted no part of that paint...the Spurs never sent that message last year.

They let Dirk get comfortable...and he started looking like Wilt...Heat never let him get comfortable...even when guarding him with slower players.

Zo has one kidney, he's old, and he's never been a speed guy...sorry but Nazr would have at least forced Dirk to guard a big...and I've seen Rasho win one on one defensive stands against Kobe...he could have helped against Dirk.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that you can't change what you are...well, maybe you can if the team plays no D like the Suns...but against anyone else...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-18-2007, 02:59 AM
And we got that damn small lineup out there that's not even a good offensive lineup...much less a defensive line or one that is going to get rebounds.

Yeah, Bowen is a rebounding liability. Keep Finley at the SF, he's pretty good at rebounds cuz he still has his residual hops for them. But play a big!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-18-2007, 03:02 AM
You know...

I coulda sworn that one kidneyed Zo knocking Dirk on his ass did a lot more to stop him than anything the Spurs did against him...Dirk wanted no part of that paint...the Spurs never sent that message last year.

They let Dirk get comfortable...and he started looking like Wilt...Heat never let him get comfortable...even when guarding him with slower players.

Zo has one kidney, he's old, and he's never been a speed guy...sorry but Nazr would have at least forced Dirk to guard a big...and I've seen Rasho win one on one defensive stands against Kobe...he could have helped against Dirk.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that you can't change what you are...well, maybe you can if the team plays no D like the Suns...but against anyone else...
Dirk shouldn't have been able to take it to the hole, so many times against us. The Heat made the Mavs turn into the Jumpshooting team they truly ARE. Thanks to Riley outcoaching Avery.

By transitive property, Riley owns Pop.

Kori Ellis
03-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Bowen is a rebounding liability.

Finley and Barry are too. Add that to Elson and Oberto averaging less than 5 rebounds a game, it isn't a good a thing.

Ely is average 1.5 rebounds per 4 minutes. Maybe we should use him. :drunk

And Finley and Barry's lack of D kills in the small ball lineup.

Kori Ellis
03-18-2007, 03:06 AM
You know...

Ehh.. I hate small ball as much as anyone. But I understood it last season. Nazr was as slow or slower than Rasho. And neither one of them was very tough. I can't imagine that they would have effectively done much.

The Heat used Haslem and Posey mostly against Dirk. Zo played some on him, but he wasn't the primary defender IIRC.

whottt
03-18-2007, 03:11 AM
Finley and Barry are too. Add that to Elson and Oberto averaging less than 5 rebounds a game, it isn't a good a thing.

Barry's pulled down over 5 boards a game before...Finley's pulled down as many as 6...

Barry pullled that down plaing 30 mins a game...Bowen's doing good to crack 4 playing 38.

Bowen gets 15 minutes more per game than those guys and averages fewer boards than any of them.

Bruce pissed me off tonight with his lack effort on the board...he dogged it.

I am sitting there watching Duncan get assraped in the post trying to get boards, tap, tap, tap, and Bruce is just standing there at the 3 line as Celtics run in front of him to grab the board.

It was like pass to Hedo against the Lakers. 2 inches was too much to move.

whottt
03-18-2007, 03:12 AM
If we gonna play small ball we can't have an offensive liability out there...we can't have a guy they dare to shoot or put it on the floor...

This is just a mess...I don't see how anyone can excuse Pop's rotations.

He's sucked at it since the Mavs series.

Kori Ellis
03-18-2007, 03:13 AM
Barry's pulled down over 5 boards a game before...Finley's pulled down as many as 6...

Barry pullled that down plaing 30 mins a game...Bowen's doing good to crack 4 playing 38.

Bowen gets 15 minutes more per game than those guys and averages fewer boards than any of them.

Bruce pissed me off tonight with his lack effort on the board...he dogged it.

I am sitting there watching Duncan get assraped in the post trying to get boards, tap, tap, tap, and Bruce is just standing there at the 3 line as Celtics run in front of him to grab the board.

It was like pass to Hedo against the Lakers. 2 inches was too much to move.

I wasn't defending Bowen. His rebounding has always sucked. I was just pointing out that as a whole, the Spurs don't have many good rebounders.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-18-2007, 03:18 AM
If we gonna play small ball we can't have an offensive liability out there...we can't have a guy they dare to shoot or put it on the floor...

This is just a mess...I don't see how anyone can excuse Pop's rotations.

He's sucked at it since the Mavs series.
I don't know why Beno isn't given a chance more, right when Parker came back, Beno's back to his chain. Just when he showed a glimmer of having some balls.

We can't we have 4 offensive smalls on the court? when we're looking to run?

whottt
03-18-2007, 03:21 AM
I think their numbers would improve if they weren't matched up against Forwards that are bigger and outweigh them.

And I know Bruce isn't a good rebounder...but usually you can see why he isn't...he flat out dogged it tonight on the offensive glass..he stood there and let Duncan fight for them by himself.

I've never been as pissed at Bruce as I was during tonights game. In fact...I've never been pissed at Bruce before I don't think...but his rebounding total tonight was due to plain old lack of effort...go watch the 4th again...you'll see at least 3 posession in the final 5 mins or so where Bruce clearly can get the O board thanks to Duncan's efforts and Celtics at the top of the key beat him to it without him even taking a step to get the board.

He's just standing there waiting to shoot his open 3 while posession is in doubt...

whottt
03-18-2007, 03:34 AM
The Heat used Haslem and Posey mostly against Dirk. Zo played some on him, but he wasn't the primary defender IIRC.

That series turned when Zo planted Dirk on his asssssssssssss and let him know it was coming any time he came into the paint.

Nazr wasn't exactly my favorite player...but he had no qualms about putting someone on their ass...he did it of his own voilition several times with the Spurs.

Bottom line is that regardless of how slow they are...if they are in the paint it decreases the chances for Dirk to get into the paint, even if he's being guarded by Parker.

You can't stop Dirk's J...but you can make him uncomfortable going into the paint...that's what Riley did that Pop didn't.

Pop let Dirk get comfortable and thus, he let Dirk get confident.

I gurantee you if Rasho and Nazr had been played Dirk wouldn't have set NBA FTA records against us...and I seriously doubt he would have shot 60%(or what ever he shot for that series)....I also doubt he would have pulled down as many boards.

And to me, this entire season, this entire small ball obession, is about Pop trying to prove he made the right decision. Either that...or he suddenly knows less about basketball than IceColdBrewski.

whottt
03-18-2007, 04:21 AM
You know...smallball..

In addition to being undersized, our smallball lineup is old..it utlizes the oldest mofos on the team other than Horry...they are slow, unathletic...

I mean if you are going to smallball, aren't you usually doing it to gain a speed advantage? The Spurs don't.

Our smallball makes us smaller, older, slower, less athletic, it's a weak defensive lineup, it's a weak rebounding lineup....it's even a weak offensive lineup since 2 of the players involved are not great passers. It can shoot well, when open, that's it.

Good lord what is Pop thinking?

The more I think about it the more pissed off I get...Duncan deserves better than this bullshit.

Bruno
03-18-2007, 07:26 AM
You can't compare Mavs serie with this game.
Celtics PF was Paul Pierce, Mavs PF was Dirk. Elson/Oberto/Bonner are more mobile than Rasho/Nazr but they still can't guard swingmen that aren't offensive liability.
Pop hasn't another solution than smallball when they play against a team with 4 PG/SG/SF on the floor at the same time and no one is an offensive liability.

About Mavs :
I don't think Spurs will go small against Mavs as long as Dirk will play PF. However if Mavs go with this kind of lineup : Harris/Terry/Stack/Howard/a big, Spurs won't have another solution that going small. If Mavs go small by playing George at PF, I hope Spurs will try to keep 2 bigs and put one on George who isn't a good offensive player.

1Parker1
03-18-2007, 10:20 AM

But it freakin' sucks that the bigs aren't good enough to keep one of them on floor :pctoss

Small ball isn't going to work over big stretches in the postseason, the Spurs will get worked over on the glass. :(

Exactly...we have count it SIX potential Bigs we could use, I find it hard to believe that not one of them are good enough to keep on the floor. How is that possible? Maybe it's time to start looking at Pop and his coaching these players than the players themselves.

Oberto/Elson we all know suck. What about Ely, Bonner...hell even Butler? Yes, Butler seems to have a bad attitude according to everyone, but you know what? Outside of the Spurs org every team has a player like that! Give him playing time and responsibility and see how he responds. And what about Ely? Wasn't he supposed to be this proclaimed post-scorer? Why not use him? Or Bonner...he does rebounding, 3 point shooting, energizing....

We have SIX potential bigs that Pop could be using....if he's trying to say that ALL six suck and arent' good enough to be given minutes forcing him to go small than he has to look at himself or at Presti and the Spurs recruiting/scouting to see the problem. :rolleyes

The Truth #6
03-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Nazr or Rasho couldn't do shit against Dirk last year in the playoffs. Game 2 we played our bigs and got killed by what, 20 points? The refs put a magic forcefield around him so that no one was allowed to touch him. Versus Miami the refs let Posey and Haslem get tough with him. I know I'm not objective but Dirk seemed to have a free ride with the refs when we played him.

If Pop was able to adjust to reality we would be in better shape. Oberto will be useless against the Mavs in the playoffs so I don't see why he should play again. It's late but we need to see what Ely can do. We need another low post scoring threat. We need someone out there who Dirk has to guard in the post.

Anyway, I know I'm looking ahead and rambling, but right now the substitutions are odd and show confusion or desperation.

weebo
03-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Some of you people are dumb blaming the loss on Pop. The players make the plays and the Spurs played flat throughout most of the game. Hell, the Dream Team would have lost this game if the came out without purpose. Blame the players for the crappy performance not the coaches.

wildbill2u
03-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I think their numbers would improve if they weren't matched up against Forwards that are bigger and outweigh them.

And I know Bruce isn't a good rebounder...but usually you can see why he isn't...he flat out dogged it tonight on the offensive glass..he stood there and let Duncan fight for them by himself.

I've never been as pissed at Bruce as I was during tonights game. In fact...I've never been pissed at Bruce before I don't think...but his rebounding total tonight was due to plain old lack of effort...go watch the 4th again...you'll see at least 3 posession in the final 5 mins or so where Bruce clearly can get the O board thanks to Duncan's efforts and Celtics at the top of the key beat him to it without him even taking a step to get the board.

He's just standing there waiting to shoot his open 3 while posession is in doubt...
He's standing there 23' from the basket while the rest of the team is fighting 5 guys. Other teams ignore him, especially since he's shooting so badly. No wonder we keep getting beat on rebounds. And rebounds, over time, usually determine which team wins.

Pugglekicker_21
03-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Say Ely play 11 mins. a game, a reasoable but not going to hapen total. 1.5x 11=16.5! That more than the Spurs bigs had at the begining of the 4th., or something like that. 16.5 rebs....why the hell is this guy not starting. I know he needs his lungs and stuff, but I think he could play 11 mins. then again, i think my math is wrong...yeah it is. per 4 mins... oh never mind stupid me. it'd be more like well 12 mins...at 8 he'd have 3...so at 12 mins he have 4.5....wow and I said 16.5. :lol Still as a starter...

Pugglekicker_21
03-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Some of you people are dumb blaming the loss on Pop. The players make the plays and the Spurs played flat throughout most of the game. Hell, the Dream Team would have lost this game if the came out without purpose. Blame the players for the crappy performance not the coaches.

I think the Dream Team could have played without heart and still won.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-18-2007, 02:45 PM
as pop's coaching regresses, so do the spurs

Pop's idiotic lineups are going to bury this team

It's already bad enough that we're far worse than last year while Dallas has significantly approved.

We still lack rebounding, consistent interior defense (TD alone isn't enough to keep people out of the paint) and the fact that our jumpshots are virtually non existent

With all of those factored in, the last thign we need is Pop making foolish substitutions and his complete lack of faith in the bigs.

I would rather lose with Elson/Bonner in the floor on crunch time than to lose with small ball.

sabar
03-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I'd rather lose by 25 points with ineffective big men than by 6 points with small ball :rolleyes

Don't you think Pop has thought of this already? If we're all so smart, why aren't we being hired as any head coaches? For good reason -- Pop knows what he has in his bigs, a bunch of scrubs. Give Butler/Bonner/Ely a chance? They are all scrub players! It's sad, but it's true. If Elson/Oberto can't get it done, there's no way those others will.

There comes a point where you have to stop being stubborn about small ball and realize that without it we would have never taken the Mavs to 7 games. Without it we never would have closed in on Boston.

I'd like to have faith that Elson will be awesome in the playoffs, but the reality is that he is a foul sponge which stems from his poor defense and inability to block shots. Oberto can't jump. Ely/Bonner/Horry are slow.

What ever happens all depends on Elson and if he decides to pick up 3 fouls in 2 minutes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Ely is slow? :lol Dude, just admit you haven't watched him play.

whottt
03-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I'd rather lose by 25 points with ineffective big men than by 6 points with small ball :rolleyes

Don't you think Pop has thought of this already? If we're all so smart, why aren't we being hired as any head coaches? For good reason -- Pop knows what he has in his bigs, a bunch of scrubs. Give Butler/Bonner/Ely a chance? They are all scrub players! It's sad, but it's true. If Elson/Oberto can't get it done, there's no way those others will.

There comes a point where you have to stop being stubborn about small ball and realize that without it we would have never taken the Mavs to 7 games. Without it we never would have closed in on Boston.

I'd like to have faith that Elson will be awesome in the playoffs, but the reality is that he is a foul sponge which stems from his poor defense and inability to block shots. Oberto can't jump. Ely/Bonner/Horry are slow.

What ever happens all depends on Elson and if he decides to pick up 3 fouls in 2 minutes.

So basically...without Finley, we can't beat the Celtics...

Got it.

And you think this team will win a championship this year if that is true?

If a team with Parker, Manu and Duncan on it can't beat a team that lost 18 in a row without Michael Finley playing PF, um scratch that, can't beat them even with Finley playing PF...how can you rationalize this team is a title contender?

Who had enormous input into the building of this roster?

Who traded Steve Kerr away...and then traded for him back?

Who had to get owned by Peter Vescey before he'd make a simple substitution to win a championship?

Pop's not a coaching genius...

He's got 3 All Stars...one of whom owned his ass in the last Olympics.... without Tim Duncan, without Tony Parker...without gasp...Michael Finley...and believe it or not...with Oberto.

whottt
03-18-2007, 05:17 PM
God...where would Duncan and Manu be without the coaching genius that is Gregg Poppovich...probably sacking groceries or something.

I mean shit...we can't beat the Celtics or Bobcats on our own homecourt unless Finley is playing C...

So basically...like Rasho and Nazr before him...Elson is the worst player in NBA history. Not deserving of being on the court in any way shape or form...we are incapable of winning a game with him on the court...

Got it. Thank god for Pop's genius.

aaronstampler
03-18-2007, 06:22 PM
In a combined 27 minutes Oberto and Elson were - 17. But I think Bonner should have played more. I don't understand why Pop took him out in the 4th.

weebo
03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
God...where would Duncan and Manu be without the coaching genius that is Gregg Poppovich...probably sacking groceries or something.

I mean shit...we can't beat the Celtics or Bobcats on our own homecourt unless Finley is playing C...

So basically...like Rasho and Nazr before him...Elson is the worst player in NBA history. Not deserving of being on the court in any way shape or form...we are incapable of winning a game with him on the court...

Got it. Thank god for Pop's genius.

Yes, I'm sure Pop is playing small just to piss whott off. That must be it !
:rolleyes

GrandeDavid
03-18-2007, 11:28 PM
This loss is actually pretty heartbreaking to me. I know the Celtics aren't exactly the Spurs' greatest rival, but that was one helluva streak. Guess Tim owns Boston no longer. Sucks. Harsher was how the Spurs expend so much effort and energy to come back from 19 down, take the lead, at home, coming off a shitty loss, playing a shitty team...and still lose. Very f-ing nice. Seriously, they were pathetic. All those missed easy ass layups.

anonymous coward
03-19-2007, 02:08 AM
Exactly...we have count it SIX potential Bigs we could use, I find it hard to believe that not one of them are good enough to keep on the floor. How is that possible? Maybe it's time to start looking at Pop and his coaching these players than the players themselves.

Oberto/Elson we all know suck. What about Ely, Bonner...hell even Butler? Yes, Butler seems to have a bad attitude according to everyone, but you know what? Outside of the Spurs org every team has a player like that! Give him playing time and responsibility and see how he responds. And what about Ely? Wasn't he supposed to be this proclaimed post-scorer? Why not use him? Or Bonner...he does rebounding, 3 point shooting, energizing....

We have SIX potential bigs that Pop could be using....if he's trying to say that ALL six suck and arent' good enough to be given minutes forcing him to go small than he has to look at himself or at Presti and the Spurs recruiting/scouting to see the problem. :rolleyes

add rasho and nazr to list, 8 bigs not good enough???...i dont think so.
like i said before pop coaching is not good enough.

Supergirl
03-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Agreed. This is very worrisome.

Really, it's the only thing that worries me about these last two losses. Elson has shown the most potential out of all those guys - what happened to him against the C's. Was he in foul trouble, or was that in the Bucks game? I can't remember.

aaronstampler
03-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I think Elson has been playing tentative of late because every time he does anything aggressive on the court he gets whistled for a foul.

Kori Ellis
03-19-2007, 02:08 PM
I think Elson has been playing tentative of late because every time he does anything aggressive on the court he gets whistled for a foul.

That's because at age 31, he's just now learning how to play D without reaching in. I'm not sure if he will always be a foul machine, or he can work through it.