PDA

View Full Version : Robinson scores for Spurs

alamo50
03-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Perfect Timing

Martin Jol was just as delighted with the timing of Paul Robinson's goal in the 3-1 win against Watford as amazed with the incredible nature of it.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/images/articles/4489-6.jpg

Fighting for their survival, Watford proved a tough nut to crack at White Hart Lane and it took a towering header from fit-again, free-scoring midfielder Jermaine Jenas to hand us the advantage just before the break.

The second half continued in similar fashion as we probed away until that crucial second goal after 63 minutes set the Lane alight.

As is often the case, Robbo strode out of his area to take a free-kick, aimed upfield for Mido but looked have overhit it when defender Lloyd Doyley let it go, the ball bounced high over a stranded Ben Foster and into the empty net.

The ground erupted as the whole team went to celebrate with the keeper - 'England's number one' has never been sung louder!

For the record, it the first time a Spurs goalkeeper has scored in a league game since Tiny Joyce netted from the penalty spot against Bolton all the way back in 1914. Pat Jennings then famously scored against Manchester United in the Charity Shield in 1967.

Now Robbo has his own collector's item - well actually, his second after scoring in a League Cup tie for Leeds against Swindon in 2003!

"It's always good to score goals from all angles," smiled Martin after our seventh win in eight games moved us into sixth in the Premiership on Saturday evening.

"Everyone came in afterwards and I said it must be a terrific feeling and that he now knows how a striker feels when he scores a goal, but he said to me 'that's actually my second goal' because he scored at Leeds. So I have to keep my mouth shut!

"I don't feel it was just about him though - it was a great time to score the second goal and that was important.

"Paul has a terrific kick, one of the best in England, so that can happen. You feel for the other goalkeeper but it happened to Paul in Croatia. It can happen to anyone."

Martin said he remained confident even though Watford were so resolute. "I wasn't concerned about the result, more about the way we played in the first half," he added. "It looked okay, but it was too slow. The last 15 minutes were better in the first half and we created one or two chances but the second half was better.

"Even at 2-0 it can be difficult but then we put it right with Hossam Ghaly, who started nervously but then came back to show his quality. I was very pleased to win and we're on a great run."

Link (http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/perfecttiming170307.html)

alamo50
03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Video (http://www.clipjunkie.com/Goalie-Scores-a-Goal-vid943.html)

SAtown
03-19-2007, 09:30 PM
:lmao I saw this highlight last weekend. That must be the best feeling for a goalie to score. Having played soccer all of my life, it seems like goalies are primarily to blame in close losses.

cornbread
03-19-2007, 10:17 PM
I saw this on Sportscenter. Simply amazing.

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2007, 10:17 PM
they just loss to chelsea last nite 2-1 FA cup semis...

manutd also keeping the treble dream alive with a 1-0 over middle

Taco
03-26-2007, 11:38 AM
pretty wild