PDA

View Full Version : NBA Conspiracy Theory

carib
03-18-2007, 11:31 AM
The calls
The missed shots
The coaching
The players that are on the court in crunch time

I just wonder sometimes, am I the only one.

The way the Spurs lost their last two games, or is it that we knew how to win the game, but Pop didn’t want to show too much to soon right before the playoff run.

Peter
03-18-2007, 11:32 AM
I think they just sucked.

Anyways, it's time for someone to photoshop Beno on the Grassy Knoll.

bdictjames
03-18-2007, 11:48 AM
LOL you are just probably too depressed over these last two games. You just overrate the Spurs too much, we sucked last night.

FromWayDowntown
03-18-2007, 11:49 AM
The calls
The missed shots
The coaching

The way the Spurs lost their last two games, or is it that we knew how to win the game, but Pop didn’t want to show too much to soon right before the playoff run.

Pop told the guys to miss as many 3's as possible and they are soooo good that they were able to execute his plan to perfection.

That, or they just have done things over the last 3 games that they hadn't done in a month, and have lost 2 of the 3 because they didn't play the game the right way and deserved to lose.

stretch
03-18-2007, 11:54 AM
The calls
The missed shots
The coaching

Or perhaps they simply got outplayed, and lost the game.

DubMcDub
03-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I always laugh when a Spurs fan explains a loss with the logic that "Pop just didnt wanna show his hand before the real season starts". I have to wonder if anybody who says that has ever played sports competitively at any level. I guarantee you professional coaches and athletes have way too much ego and pride to do anything other than try their hardest to win each and every game, no matter how meaningless.

sa_butta
03-18-2007, 12:15 PM
The calls
The missed shots
The coaching

The way the Spurs lost their last two games, or is it that we knew how to win the game, but Pop didn’t want to show too much to soon right before the playoff run.Whatever helps you cope with the loss, but the truth is, they couldnt shoot for shit from 3 and just didnt get it done.

FromWayDowntown
03-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I always laugh when a Spurs fan explains a loss with the logic that "Pop just didnt wanna show his hand before the real season starts". I have to wonder if anybody who says that has ever played sports competitively at any level. I guarantee you professional coaches and athletes have way too much ego and pride to do anything other than try their hardest to win each and every game, no matter how meaningless.

In a general sense, I agree with you. But I do think (from having watched the Popovich-led Spurs for years) that there are times that Popovich, in fact, doesn't tip his hand and will hold certain strategies or adjustments in reserve for playoff situations. I'm convinced that Pop does so because he understands the value of that "real season," and knows that his team, most years, is good enough to achieve a high seed entering the playoffs regardless of how vanilla it might play at times during the regular season.

DubMcDub
03-18-2007, 12:36 PM
In a general sense, I agree with you. But I do think (from having watched the Popovich-led Spurs for years) that there are times that Popovich, in fact, doesn't tip his hand and will hold certain strategies or adjustments in reserve for playoff situations. I'm convinced that Pop does so because he understands the value of that "real season," and knows that his team, most years, is good enough to achieve a high seed entering the playoffs regardless of how vanilla it might play at times during the regular season.

He may not use every offensive set/every defensive look that they have in the playbook until the playoffs--I agree with this completely. What I'm saying is that there's no way he intentionally has his team not do things that could result in a W in order to "save it for the playoffs".

They may have a set of plays that they aren't going to start implementing in games until April, but the original poster (along with lots of other Spurs fans over the weeks) like to make it sound like he is telling his team to just play at 50% because regular season games "don't matter".

Clutch20
03-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Money driven and media concious.
They're business people first and basketball second.
One foot planted in mass media population centers because numbers count.
The other foot planted in dot com commerce because numbers count.
Seriously driven by $$$, who isn't.
Make your own conclusions. ;)

v2freak
03-18-2007, 12:47 PM
The Spurs have been the beneficiaries of calls the last 2 games, IMO. But you could be right, they're not playing at their highest level for a reason.

carib
03-18-2007, 12:54 PM

What about Shaq and Robert Horry

Kori Ellis
03-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't know why anyone would ever watch basketball if they thought there was a conspiracy behind it.

The_Worlds_finest
03-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Reg season games are glorified practices to pop... thats why you have been seeing the odd line ups... and blowed games

mikeanthony21
03-18-2007, 02:13 PM
The calls
The missed shots
The coaching

Oh, I get it... Jackie Butler is our secret weapon come playoff time. :downspin:

dg7md
03-18-2007, 08:48 PM
ya, like pro wrestling. everyone knows its a joke, and thats why nobody watches it. :greedy

Then why is it always the top rated shows on cable?

SRJ
03-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Also, if you believe there is a conspiracy against small market teams, why would the Spurs have won three titles, let alone one?

stretch
03-18-2007, 09:32 PM
ha ha, yeah, but look at all the people who watch wrestling...
thats not a conspiracy. there is a difference between a conspiracy and being completely fake.

leemajors
03-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Give Me Back My Son!

Racspur1
03-18-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't know why anyone would ever watch basketball if they thought there was a conspiracy behind it.

Finally a voice with of reason !

Clutch20
03-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Our city's name and team's logo stood at the top of the basketball pyramid 3 times within a span of 7 years, in spite of the disparity in media converage and also in spite of publicity which was and still is often formulated to portray our team as boring and 2nd rate entertainment. Talent triumphs over general attitudes and bucks the trends.

For those reasons and others I still watch basketball because it makes those victories that much sweeter.

As validation counted for David Robinson upon hearing the final horn sound as a champion of champions, and may also count for vets on the current team if they end up clutching their rings too, at the same time that same wonderful validation has resonated through me.
Thrice.