PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated games of all time?

Holmes_Fans
03-18-2007, 01:56 PM
1. The halo series
2. Gears of War
3. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
5. Doom 3

leemajors
03-18-2007, 01:58 PM
counterstrike.

baseline bum
03-18-2007, 02:18 PM
GOW, SMB3, and GTAVC are all great games, but I don't get why they're considered the best in genre. For instance, GOW and the cover system is fun and well-done, but not as intuitive or as well executed as it is in RB6 Vegas. SMB3 is fun, but the control is so much better in Super Mario World. GTAVC is fa really good game, but extremely short, and once you get off the couple of blocks of the strip, the city isn't as as much fun as is the enormous Liberty City from GTA3. Plus, there's nothing as cool in either as the gang wars in San Andreas.

Pistons < Spurs
03-18-2007, 02:20 PM
The Sims series
The GTA series
WOW

SAtown
03-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Street Fighter series

dallaskd
03-18-2007, 03:13 PM
The Sims, Final Fantasy, NBA Live

Kori Ellis
03-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I thought this thread was about golf :wakeup

atxrocker
03-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Street Fighter series

blasphemy, you're speaking of one of the greatest fighting games ever.

atxrocker
03-18-2007, 03:17 PM

:lol

sabar
03-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Halo.
Nothing comes close to being more over-rated.

cornbread
03-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Mortal Kombat on SNES. It didn't have that magic without the blood.

Holmes_Fans
03-18-2007, 03:26 PM
The Sims, Final Fantasy, NBA Live
I don't think anyone rates NBA Live high :lol

The sims is fun if you can afford all the stupid expansion packs, or can get them for free. It's addicting like WoW.

and all RPG are overrated.

resistanze
03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
GOW, SMB3, and GTAVC are all great games, but I don't get why they're considered the best in genre. For instance, GOW and the cover system is fun and well-done, but not as intuitive or as well executed as it is in RB6 Vegas. SMB3 is fun, but the control is so much better in Super Mario World. GTAVC is fa really good game, but extremely short, and once you get off the couple of blocks of the strip, the city isn't as as much fun as is the enormous Liberty City from GTA3. Plus, there's nothing as cool in either as the gang wars in San Andreas.

Enormous? I'm pretty sure the Liberty City in GTA3 in half the size of VC. Granted, GTASA s bigger than both those games by far, and I probably like GTASA as much as GTAVC. I dunno but something about the 80s feel/music does it for me.

I agree about RB6 Vegas, I enjoyed it more than GOW.

resistanze
03-18-2007, 03:43 PM
This game probably ain't overrated but was Super Mario Bros. 2 on of the most messed up games of all time? I heard that shit wasn't even meant as a sequel for SMB1, just a rip of a completely different Japanese game.

Holmes_Fans
03-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Enormous? I'm pretty sure the Liberty City in GTA3 in half the size of VC. Granted, GTASA s bigger than both those games by far, and I probably like GTASA as much as GTAVC. I dunno but something about the 80s feel/music does it for me.

I agree about RB6 Vegas, I enjoyed it more than GOW.
GTA 3 had the best city by far. Each section had a reason to be there. SA was a bunch of pointless land. The mountain was useless so was the big desert. I agree on VC though, I love the 80's miami feel. NY, Miami > Ghetto

SAtown
03-18-2007, 03:59 PM
This game probably ain't overrated but was Super Mario Bros. 2 on of the most messed up games of all time? I heard that shit wasn't even meant as a sequel for SMB1, just a rip of a completely different Japanese game.

SMB 2 was a piece of crap.

dirk4mvp
03-18-2007, 04:22 PM
1. The halo series
2. Gears of War
5. Doom 3

So basically, awesome games are overrated.

dallaskd
03-18-2007, 04:43 PM
So basically, awesome games are overrated.

thats pretty much what he is saying. :lol

dallaskd
03-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Halo.
Nothing comes close to being more over-rated.

I loved Halo. Those Pokemon Gameboy games were pretty overrated. I cant see how the GTA games were overrated unless your talking about GTA 3.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Halo/Counterstrike, basically any first person shooter after Goldeneye is so fucking overrated

they're all the same exact game yet people act like its something special

Cant_Be_Faded
03-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Smoke a philly and then play it. Then you really realize how messed up it is. Dinosaurs shooting eggs out of their mouths, nailing flying birds from the sky by throwing a turnip at them.
It's crazy.

dallaskd
03-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Halo/Counterstrike, basically any first person shooter after Goldeneye is so fucking overrated

Goldeneye was great at its time. but as you look back at it, it was overrated. Mario Cart 64 and Mortal Combat were def overrated.

Slinkyman
03-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Goldeneye was great at its time. but as you look back at it, it was overrated. Mario Cart 64 and Mortal Combat were def overrated.

i agree with you completely, going back and playing Goldeneye was quite dissappointing, although i went back and played DOOM and it's just as fun as the first time i played it. Every shitting on Halo probably sucks at it and got tired of getting T-bagged. :lol

thispego
03-18-2007, 05:19 PM
golf is overrated ?? :wow

leemajors
03-18-2007, 05:36 PM
i agree with you completely, going back and playing Goldeneye was quite dissappointing, although i went back and played DOOM and it's just as fun as the first time i played it. Every shitting on Halo probably sucks at it and got tired of getting T-bagged. :lol

or playing an fps on a console, especially online, is retarded. people complained about quake 2 being slower than quake 1 - halo plays at a snails pace compared to either of those. there's no strafing and you're stuck playing on a pos controller crawling around. they should have kept it on the pc, then it may have been worth something.

resistanze
03-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Smoke a philly and then play it. Then you really realize how messed up it is. Dinosaurs shooting eggs out of their mouths, nailing flying birds from the sky by throwing a turnip at them.
It's crazy.

To top it off, you find out after beating the game that it was just Mario experiencing a meth-induced nightmare.

I gotta add Warcraft 3 to the overrated list. I never was into RTS games, so I may be prejudice.

Slinkyman
03-18-2007, 09:11 PM
or playing an fps on a console, especially online, is retarded. people complained about quake 2 being slower than quake 1 - halo plays at a snails pace compared to either of those. there's no strafing and you're stuck playing on a pos controller crawling around. they should have kept it on the pc, then it may have been worth something.

Halo isn't a twitch shooter like quake so you can't compare the two when it comes to speed of the game. Halo is a game anyone can pick up and play whether they're good at FPS or not which is why it's so popular.

Oscar DeLa
03-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't know what it is but virtua fighter, super mario bros 2, halo, super smash bros, 007 games, splinter cell, rainbow 7, fight for iraq 2, desert storm 3 etc...

tlongII
03-18-2007, 09:27 PM
All of the above.

leemajors
03-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Halo isn't a twitch shooter like quake so you can't compare the two when it comes to speed of the game. Halo is a game anyone can pick up and play whether they're good at FPS or not which is why it's so popular.

twitch shooter? i understand your other point, halo is a good game for newbs.

ObiwanGinobili
03-18-2007, 09:40 PM
all Final Fantasy;s - except Tactics.
WOW
GOW
and Madden NFL

jaespur21
03-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Madden NFL is awesome. i enjoy playing online still. i dont know what the hell most of yall are talking about. most of the games yall are mentioning are great games

NASpurs
03-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Any real time strategy game.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-18-2007, 11:21 PM
???? that is one of the main reasons i thought halo was incredibly gay

anyone can get to the point where you will win just as much as the other guy by playing it like a madman
the learning curve is steep but you get to the point where there is no real difference between you and the other
i noticed this in people who played it alot and add to the fact that 1st person shooters are overrated in general, i never wanted to play it in depth.

then you get into team tactics and they have those little headset things to help you, its just all so 1986, would much rather play ncaa online with a headset than halo

dirk4mvp
03-18-2007, 11:42 PM
any RPG's are overrated. They all suck.

jaespur21
03-19-2007, 12:48 AM
any RPG's are overrated. They all suck.

Even Oblivion?

TxJudsonRocketTx
03-19-2007, 01:32 AM

I'm guessing youve never played counter-strike before Source or something, but I can tell you there's a reason that game is considered one of the best PC games of all-time. It doesnt get much better than a 32 person game online with realistic limb damage and all that shit that was new in its time. And Final Fantasy and GOW are overrated? Seriously? FFVII is widely considered one of the great games of all time, the story was wonderful and gameplay was spot-on. Also FFX is one of my favorite games ever, but saying the entire series is overrated is dumb and probably comes from someone that hasnt played any of the games. Oh and I dont even wanna get started on whoever said Madden was overrated thats terrible :nope

E20
03-19-2007, 01:37 AM
It's kind of funny, everybody gives there opnion hoping to change others, but that NEVER happens and in the end everybody is mad.

TxJudsonRocketTx
03-19-2007, 01:42 AM
It's kind of funny, everybody gives there opnion hoping to change others, but that NEVER happens and in the end everybody is mad.

:lol I'm just sayin, Goldeneye and Counterstrike were both great games but for different reasons, I think Goldeneye made the FPS genre, but CS took it to another level

leemajors
03-19-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm guessing youve never played counter-strike before Source or something, but I can tell you there's a reason that game is considered one of the best PC games of all-time. It doesnt get much better than a 32 person game online with realistic limb damage and all that shit that was new in its time. And Final Fantasy and GOW are overrated? Seriously? FFVII is widely considered one of the great games of all time, the story was wonderful and gameplay was spot-on. Also FFX is one of my favorite games ever, but saying the entire series is overrated is dumb and probably comes from someone that hasnt played any of the games. Oh and I dont even wanna get started on whoever said Madden was overrated thats terrible :nope

the original soldier of fortune game had realistic limb damage long before counterstrike. the second took it to another level. counterstrike has been around since 99 as a half life mod, but it looked nothing like what you probably started on.

leemajors
03-19-2007, 01:45 AM
:lol I'm just sayin, Goldeneye and Counterstrike were both great games but for different reasons, I think Goldeneye made the FPS genre, but CS took it to another level

uhh wolfenstein 3d made the fps genre, doom took it to another level. quake took it even further by encouraging fans to create their own mods, like team fortress and CTF. without iD, the FPS would be nowhere.

TheSanityAnnex
03-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Nerd Forum
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/gamers.jpg

TxJudsonRocketTx
03-19-2007, 02:17 AM
uhh wolfenstein 3d made the fps genre, doom took it to another level. quake took it even further by encouraging fans to create their own mods, like team fortress and CTF. without iD, the FPS would be nowhere.

I didnt mean made the genre, bad choice of words on my part, but before CS it had never been done on such a large scale with all of the capabilities, I started on I think 1.3 so when it was all done at 1.6 yeah it looked nothing near what it had when it started out, like the beta version and all. CS imo revolutionized the online FPS and set the standard for games of the future

themvp
03-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Every single game is overrated.

leemajors
03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
I didnt mean made the genre, bad choice of words on my part, but before CS it had never been done on such a large scale with all of the capabilities, I started on I think 1.3 so when it was all done at 1.6 yeah it looked nothing near what it had when it started out, like the beta version and all. CS imo revolutionized the online FPS and set the standard for games of the future

i don't agree at all, the quake series set the standard, but cs did offer an easier format for people to jump right in and play. quake has a much steeper learning curve.

dougp
03-19-2007, 12:53 PM

If you want to talk about overrated - it's GoldenEye. Fun FPS, multiplayer wise was Doom2/Quake/Quake2/TeamFortress, etc.

Sorry, if you want to get technical ... all FPS after Wolf3D were all the same, and anything after multiplayer DOOM is overrated for more than 1 player.

DarkReign
03-19-2007, 04:11 PM
SoF2 >>>>>>> ALL

I would still own you noobs in that game. LOL

1. The halo series
2. Gears of War
5. Doom 3

So basically anything popular is overrated. I bet youre a real Katamari fan? Or Shadow of Colossus. Youre a snobby gamer in a genre full of people just like you.

Overrated, by my definition, is a game hyped to be the second coming of Jesus, only to be a footnote for a bad punchline in some future review. ie Dakatana, Fable, Black & White, any Peter Molyneaux game really, etc.

While I detest Halo and its fanbois, is it really overrated? It filled a niche, a gaping chasm really, in the console market. An original IP first person shooter paced to a console control scheme.

It may shock most of us who frequent a computer nearly all day, everyday, but some people are still highly intimidated by the glowing box and all the cables that stick out of it. It may seem second nature to a person like myself to sit thru a 45 minute install of the new OMGWTFPWN hot title, but someone else finds that difficult and incredibly boring.

Be thankful for the Halos of the world, they bring fresh minds to the gaming world, with different wants and needs, thereby pushing developers to greater heights (see GoW). GoW would not work on the PC. Its too dumbed down for snobby PC gamers. Ever see the UI of a decked out player with every add-on and mod in World of Warcraft? Not for the feint of heart (or people with epilepsy).

As for your list, I think it absolutely blows. You may not like any one of those games, you may think theyre overrated, etc. The problem is, each one of those games offered some sort of innovation to the genre. It may not have created the genre, it may not have added to the genre, but they certainly refined it some small way...I would go so far as to say in LARGE ways.

Examples:

1. The halo series: I hate it. To reitierate my point, it filled a gaping hole in the console market. A gaping bleeding wound in the genre lineup. Viva Pinata may be the spring board for RTS games to finally break the same kind of mold (too what degree, I have no idea)

2. Gears of War: Refined it spectacularly. Ease of use. Easy to learn, difficult to master (I hate the melee nade kills, thats what made me quit playing, but thats me)

3. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: Refined it immensely. From airplanes, to harriers, to helicopters, to size, to scale, to mayhem, to the developer that brought "sandbox" gameplay to the forefront of innovation and popularity, this admission is a complete joke.

4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: Never played it. No idea.

5. Doom 3: The one agree with. Woohoo...its dark...all the time....no, you cant have your flashlight out WHILE you shoot, you have to download a mod for that. Beyond that, it did nothing special...Doom 3 wasnt supposed to be onnovative though, it was just a glorified tech demo for the Doom engine.

monosylab1k
03-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Halo multiplayer is great.

Halo "story" mode is the most boring, repetitive crap ever. Godawful story too.

SAtown
03-19-2007, 04:18 PM
I think Madden falls into this category perfectly, especially the "next gen" ones. I mean, the 360 versions of 06 & 07 were COMPLETE CRAP. Good graphics, horrible player builds, horrible tackling animations, horrible presentation, laggy online play, etc... They take features away every year then reinstall them in the next year's version and call them "all new." They outsell almost every other game every year, and mostly because there is no other sim style football game out there, since they bought the NFL liscense.

Add a couple tracks from AFI and 30 Seconds to Mars and you have the biggest piece of crap to ever hit consoles.

phyzik
03-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Sims is definately the most overrated.

Halo is right up there.

Mixability
03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Sims is definately the most overrated.

Halo is right up there.

Sims was like crack when I first got my PC.

They have a new game coming out called Spore, where you start as a single celled organism and work up to exploring the galaxy. No shit.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-19-2007, 04:40 PM
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: Never played it. No idea.

He got this one right too. It's not a terrible game, but it's not any better than the first, which is pretty inexcusable for a franchise making the jump from the Playstation to the PS2.

mardigan
03-19-2007, 04:42 PM
I think Madden falls into this category perfectly, especially the "next gen" ones. I mean, the 360 versions of 06 & 07 were COMPLETE CRAP. Good graphics, horrible player builds, horrible tackling animations, horrible presentation, laggy online play, etc... They take features away every year then reinstall them in the next year's version and call them "all new." They outsell almost every other game every year, and mostly because there is no other sim style football game out there, since they bought the NFL liscense.

Add a couple tracks from AFI and 30 Seconds to Mars and you have the biggest piece of crap to ever hit consoles.

I am ADDICTED to Madden on PS2, on the new consoles, not so much.
I am not really a fan of Gears of War, it looks nice but I dont really like the gameplay. I also have never really liked Socom or Ghost Recon, but I can understand how other people would like them. I cant believe some people think the Halo series is overrated, it was visually groundbreaking. As far as underated, Ninja Gaiden on XBox was one of the best games I have ever played, I still go back and play it to this day.

mardigan
03-19-2007, 04:44 PM
He got this one right too. It's not a terrible game, but it's not any better than the first, which is pretty inexcusable for a franchise making the jump from the Playstation to the PS2.
I thought it was pretty sweet, especially at the end of the game when the game tries to get you to turn off your PS because it was messing up. But then Snake Eater came out and did make it look like a piece of crap

resistanze
03-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Black & White was overrated to me

So was the Mortal Kombat series. Even though I liked it, 70% of kids in my class liked it strictly because of the over-the-top gore. It didn't hold a candle to SFII or even Killer Instinct. Don't forget Tomb Raider.

DarkReign
03-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Black & White was overrated to me

So was the Mortal Kombat series. Even though I liked it, 70% of kids in my class liked it strictly because of the over-the-top gore. It didn't hold a candle to SFII or even Killer Instinct. Don't forget Tomb Raider.

Killer Instinct. O...M....G!

MaMaMaMaMaMONSTER COMBO!

My man, TJ Combo. Probably could still pull his ultimate combo out of my ass right this very second.

cornbread
03-19-2007, 05:08 PM
So was the Mortal Kombat series. Even though I liked it, 70% of kids in my class liked it strictly because of the over-the-top gore.
That's a big part of what made it great, over the top violence. I never got tired of ripping people's spinal chords out or punching somebody into the Pit full of spikes. The gameplay might not have rivaled that of SFII but the payoffs, when you won, were well worth it.

mardigan
03-19-2007, 05:24 PM
That's a big part of what made it great, over the top violence. I never got tired of ripping people's spinal chords out or punching somebody into the Pit full of spikes. The gameplay might not have rivaled that of SFII but the payoffs, when you won, were well worth it.
Your just still mad that you cant beat me at Street Fighter, or NBA Live, or Tony Hawk or...........yawn.....

cornbread
03-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Your just still mad that you cant beat me at Street Fighter, or NBA Live, or Tony Hawk or...........yawn.....

Funny thing is, I'm not right handed...or something like that.

Holmes_Fans
03-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I am ADDICTED to Madden on PS2, on the new consoles, not so much.
I am not really a fan of Gears of War, it looks nice but I dont really like the gameplay. I also have never really liked Socom or Ghost Recon, but I can understand how other people would like them. I cant believe some people think the Halo series is overrated, it was visually groundbreaking. As far as underated, Ninja Gaiden on XBox was one of the best games I have ever played, I still go back and play it to this day.
GoW looks good, but thats about it. That is really how every 360 game should look. Online play is sooooooo repetitive though, it's the same strategy on every level.

Halo is overrated, the graphics are good. But it has the slowest gameplay. It sells good because little 6 year old can play it. Socom has it's flaws, but the gameplay is probably the best of any online game ever made.

dirk4mvp
03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Killer Instinct. O...M....G!

MaMaMaMaMaMONSTER COMBO!

My man, TJ Combo. Probably could still pull his ultimate combo out of my ass right this very second.

Glacius owns the shit out of everyone.

resistanze
03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
All about Fulgore

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!

Cant_Be_Faded
03-19-2007, 08:01 PM
if you used the speed code at the fight screen, riptor was the sickest guy in the game if you could move your fingers fast enough

mookie2001
03-19-2007, 08:46 PM
remember the definition of orchids tits in killer instict? supernes tech at its peak

E20
03-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Some of these lists are pretty farfetched the ones that have caught my eye are:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Street Fighter series
all Final Fantasy;s - except Tactics.

Totally disagree.

WTF Tactics. :lol

monosylab1k
03-19-2007, 09:46 PM
We're all in agreement that any discussion of the "Greatest Game Ever" immediately begins with Tecmo Super Bowl and then everything else is second place and on, right?

resistanze
03-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Some of these lists are pretty farfetched the ones that have caught my eye are:

Totally disagree.

MGS2 gameplay was damn good. I think the prob for me was the fucked up, convoluted storyline. Or maybe it was the fact I borrowed it from a friend and had to return it in a short amount of time. But the story was still messed; the video sequences were longer than the game.

E20
03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
MGS2 gameplay was damn good. I think the prob for me was the fucked up, convoluted storyline. Or maybe it was the fact I borrowed it from a friend and had to return it in a short amount of time. But the story was still messed; the video sequences were longer than the game.
Sons of Liberty storyline is pretty complex, it took me three replays to understand what was going on, also it would help if you have played Metal Gear Solid for the PSX. The MGS series is why we have stealth-infiltration games today, it's the finest product that the genre has yet produce.

dirk4mvp
03-19-2007, 10:45 PM
All about Fulgore

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!

Glacius is dat dude dat can't be messed with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqSJj-FFmiM

Supreme Victory!

leemajors
03-19-2007, 11:25 PM
We're all in agreement that any discussion of the "Greatest Game Ever" immediately begins with Tecmo Super Bowl and then everything else is second place and on, right?

they have the arcade version at room 710 in austin. it's on red river st, and works great.

THE ONE AND ONLY
03-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Halo 2 online is the most addictive game ever.

Sims is the worst.
Tiger Woods is the most boring.

Holmes_Fans
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Halo 2 is the most boring.
fixed!

leemajors
03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
tiger woods was badass up until 06. haven't tried 07.