PDA

View Full Version : Manu : Spurs need humility

raspsa
03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
He said the Spurs need to be more humble.. I'm trying to think who would be the most likely culprits of excess pride brought about by the win streak.. anyone care to speculate?

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2007, 11:54 PM
those "sons" in phoenix

aaronstampler
03-20-2007, 12:37 AM
He said the Spurs need to be more humble.. I'm trying to think who would be the most likely culprits of excess pride brought about by the win streak.. anyone care to speculate?

c'mon, like you have to ask. There's only one guy on the team with a star complex.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-20-2007, 12:39 AM
c'mon, like you have to ask. There's only one guy on the team with a star complex.
Bonner?

SAtown
03-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Bonner?

I was about to ask the SAME question

Anyways, I don't see any problem with Manu's comments. They were playing like shit, compared to how they were playing on the 13-game winning streak.

gospursgojas
03-20-2007, 12:58 AM
He probably just meant that the Spurs need to play like they are fighting for a playoff spot, not like they already have one

RC's Boss
03-20-2007, 01:18 AM
He wasn't talking about Tony. He's the greatest PG ever and a future HOF>

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Come on, some Spurs fans take Parker for granted by exaggerating his "ball-hog" ways.

He's a pretty loyal teammate is the vibe I'm getting.

Besides Manu was making a general statement.

Kori Ellis
03-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Manu has always used that phrases over the last few years. He says "we need to be more humble" meaning that they can't think too much of themselves and take the lesser teams lightly.

Don't try to get some controversy out of it.

krinkx
03-20-2007, 02:18 AM
try to think of it... spurs players are the most humble players in the league... :)

AceProfits
03-20-2007, 02:33 AM
try to think of it... spurs players are the most humble players in the league... :)

Yeah but it has to get boring after all they have won to get excited in the regular season.

raspsa
03-20-2007, 03:46 AM
Manu has always used that phrases over the last few years. He says "we need to be more humble" meaning that they can't think too much of themselves and take the lesser teams lightly.

Don't try to get some controversy out of it.

Not my intention at all. Just thought that maybe something had transpired in the locker room that prompted him to make the statement. I'll take your interpretation since I'm halfway around the world from SA.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Not my intention at all. Just thought that maybe something had transpired in the locker room that prompted him to make the statement. I'll take your interpretation since I'm halfway around the world from SA.
Ah ok, sometimes you can never be too sure, if posters are posing an innocent question or actually trying to stir the pot for the sake of it.

I can see what you were getting at. That "don't give a damn" misquote had me thinking. And it certainly is possible Manu could have been acknowledging recent attitudes in the locker room *because* we had that win streak. They're human after all, and if some of the fans were cocky, and riding high off our two week stretch of success, the players were probably affected to and lost focus. It'd be cool to have Manu become a vocal leader. All he has to do is pull out two more crazy games, and then everyone else will listen, and know when they need to take these games a "little" bit more seriously. :lol

TMTTRIO
03-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't know who ended up calling it but they did say that the Spurs ended up having a big team meeting during practice the other day to get some things out there and Brent said so that they learn to trust each other again in the next sixteen games. That didn't sound too good.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I don't know who ended up calling it but they did say that the Spurs ended up having a big team meeting during practice the other day to get some things out there and Brent said so that they learn to trust each other again in the next sixteen games. That didn't sound too good.
:wow

I guess it happens. Maybe because they're so expected to be harmonious with each other, it took it's toll...

I'm pretty sure rough patches are actually good from time to time. Purge or whatever.

Remember the Heat in the Chicago series?? Where Gary Payton and Wade (and Zo?) were barking at each other? Let's just hope it doesn't end up that kind of "vocal"

RonMexico
03-20-2007, 01:03 PM
those "sons" in phoenix

You are the biggest idiot in the world. The Suns are going to swell with pride over the Spurs' win streak??? Where did you learn how to read? Do you really have over 5,000 posts of this garbage?

Secondly, I'm offended that you fellow Spurs fans did not call this douchebag out. He pulls this shit all the time - ripping on the Suns, Nash, MVP voters, Suns, Amare, Suns, Dirk, Suns, D'Antoni, city of Phoenix, and oh yeah - the Suns.

He knows absolutely nothing about basketball, less about the Suns, and even less about the English language. I've never encountered someone so trapped in a tunnel with silver and black sunglasses in my entire life. You really make me want to pull a Michael Douglas in Falling Down - I've never wanted to trace somebody's IP address so badly before, in the simple hopes of finding you and giving you a premature Darwin award for the stupid death that most likely lies in your future... probably while you're jacking off to pictures of Tim Duncan while Nash wins his 3rd MVP award.

Perhaps the answer to raspsa's question: the Spurs' fans are to blame for the excess pride and need to show some humility.

milkyway21
03-20-2007, 08:07 PM
He said the Spurs need to be more humble.. I'm trying to think who would be the most likely culprits of excess pride brought about by the win streak.. anyone care to speculate?huh:oops

i don't believe that some Spurs players would act like they're the kings of the world bec i think this is the team who would like to stay behind the scenes who would like to act they're the underdogs. Pops hates being the target, he said that after they won the 2005 title. Maybe it's just one Manu suggestion, stay focus know the opponents and your team's weaknesses bec that's when the other going to beat you if you are not ready. Pops knew how they lost to the Bucks the last 2 games and then in their 3rd meeting they lost again with Milwaukee's same game plan. :wtf
Manu learned a lesson. He said like he was not afraid of any team, particularly the U.S. team before the World Championships then what happened, they came 4th in the end.

the curlprit here is overconfidence. Not pride or arrogance. :wakeup i think there's a little bit of difference between those two.

raspsa
03-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Ah ok, sometimes you can never be too sure, if posters are posing an innocent question or actually trying to stir the pot for the sake of it.

I can see what you were getting at. That "don't give a damn" misquote had me thinking. And it certainly is possible Manu could have been acknowledging recent attitudes in the locker room *because* we had that win streak. They're human after all, and if some of the fans were cocky, and riding high off our two week stretch of success, the players were probably affected to and lost focus. It'd be cool to have Manu become a vocal leader. All he has to do is pull out two more crazy games, and then everyone else will listen, and know when they need to take these games a "little" bit more seriously. :lol

I also recalled an incident when NVE had just joined the Spurs and he reportedly asked Horry what their chances were if winning 70 games.. sounded kinda arrogant specially for someone new to the team. Horry quickly set him straight saying to the effect that "that's not how we do things around here." But like you say, they're human after all..

LilMissSPURfect
03-21-2007, 10:36 AM
the season seems like its dragging.....and the spurs are too.....LET'S JUST GET THIS THING STARTED!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Playoffs

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The NBA Playoffs are four rounds of competition between sixteen teams in the Eastern Conference and Western Conferences (called Divisions, pre-1970) of the National Basketball Association. The winners of the First Round (or conference quarterfinals) advance to the Conference Semifinals, and the winners of the Conference Semifinals go on to the NBA Conference Finals. Finally, the champions of each conference face each other in the NBA Finals. Each round is a best-of-seven series, although the first was previously a best-of-five series. The NBA finals are played in a 2-3-2 format, meaning the first two and final two games (if necessary) are played at the court of the team possessing home court advantage, and all other rounds are played in a 2-2-1-1-1 format.

Rummpd
03-21-2007, 03:04 PM
"Perhaps the answer to raspsa's question: the Spurs' fans are to blame for the excess pride and need to show some humility."

Now may I ask what are the Suns' fans so prideful for? They are so far the late 90s Kings reborn = lots of potential. lots of talent, high scoring etc., and not a damm thing to show for it.

Win something (or at least get back to the finals - its been years for you) then talk smack to Spurs fans.

By the way, going to your area AZ for a business trip next week. Great state, great people, great culture, and albeit great fans, and a pretty damm fair NBA team (but so far nothing more proven than that) but quit ragging on other fans!

Kori Ellis
03-21-2007, 03:11 PM

That trusting each other thing has been brought up a lot of times this year. By Tony, Manu, PJ, etc. I'm sure it's the same sentiment.

Who said they had a "big" team meeting? I understood it was just a regular team talk like they always have after they lose. Anyway, it doesn't matter really.

And I believe the trusting each other issue has to do with the penetrators (Manu/Tony) trusting that the perimeter shooters to hit shots. And maybe moreso, all the players trusting that the help D will come.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Eh this thread makes me suspicious now. I'm pretty sure the team can't change their OVERALL attitude over night. And become arrogant jerks. So bleh. Overconfidence is natural from time to time.

raspsa
03-21-2007, 09:46 PM
That trusting each other thing has been brought up a lot of times this year. By Tony, Manu, PJ, etc. I'm sure it's the same sentiment.

You'd think that being a veteran team that they'd have worked this out a long time ago.. to me its a question of mental toughness, focus and leadership resulting in this roller-coaster ride. Hopefully they can be on an upswing come the playoffs.

RonMexico
03-22-2007, 12:32 PM
"Perhaps the answer to raspsa's question: the Spurs' fans are to blame for the excess pride and need to show some humility."

Now may I ask what are the Suns' fans so prideful for? They are so far the late 90s Kings reborn = lots of potential. lots of talent, high scoring etc., and not a damm thing to show for it.

Win something (or at least get back to the finals - its been years for you) then talk smack to Spurs fans.

By the way, going to your area AZ for a business trip next week. Great state, great people, great culture, and albeit great fans, and a pretty damm fair NBA team (but so far nothing more proven than that) but quit ragging on other fans!

It's really only on TDMVPDPOY because he's the biggest idiot on the planet... I have a good relationship with most of you Spurs fans - lived with one in B/CS for a long time... he just finds a way to rip on the Suns at all times and this is his most misguided post yet.

Gros Membres!
03-22-2007, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the team meeting had something to do with the laissez-faire, let's-turn-it-on-for-the-playoffs attitude that has become pervasive in the organization. I guess you could also call it a lack of hunger.

I ALSO think the veteran wing struggles (Finley, Barry) with the inconsistency of the post play (namely rebounding anf defensive presence) has made the team skittish and rely too much on the Big 3. I hope they'll take the next stretch to get their confidence back or (DOOMSDAY ALERT) the Spurs might be too tired to run in the WCF,

I do laugh at the idea of Brent saying, 'Trust me." I'm not totally sure why.

upTD
03-23-2007, 04:42 AM

Manu, the shit himself no humility, how can he say such word?

powerpower
03-23-2007, 06:07 AM
manu was just pissed man.. he was only saying the truth like always.......if u watch his postgame interview ...........its sounds like every other he's had in his career...leave him alone. (i think he was pissed because pretty much we won those 13 games because he was the x factor...and now he shooting so poorly in the games we have lost) i think by the sound of his voice he was mostly blaming himself...

TO WIN= manu scores 24 straight every game:)))
(the point guard has to know that if u get ginobili some easy lay-up threes....and get him hot...then we'll win!

SpurYank
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
My guess is that what Manu is referring to is taking opposing teams lightly and not respecting them. After all, "we have three rings, as do the Rockets, and the Mavs and Suns have none." This theme is scattered all over all the threads posted here, and the biggest culprits to this trend of thought are not so much the Spurs, but the fans who post here.

Up here in the East Coast there is no team respected more than the Spurs. A great deal of that comes from watching players like DR, TD, Manu, and Tony Parker, and a quite humble head coach.

Manu was directing his comments at the SA fans, who think no other team should win an NBA title but our team.