PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to you guys beating Suns

windjc
03-20-2007, 08:54 PM
in the second round. Its going to be awesome watching that team go home again and all the pundits having to admit that the Suns style can't win in the playoffs.

What I am curious about, though, is what will the Suns do when they lose in the second round? They already have the best 5-6 players in the league for the style of game that they play. It wont be a personnel issue. Its a style issue. But they cant change, and if they can, how?

They may just implode. That would be nice.

Well, anyway-for that series- GO SPURS!

stretch
03-20-2007, 10:24 PM
yea, the Suns are going to have a lot of work to do in order to change their style. Nash sucks at defense. Amare sucks at defense. Barbosa sucks at defense. Diaw sucks at defense. The only decent defenders are Marion and Bell, who IMO are overrated defenders. Get physical with Marion, and he backs down. Get dirty right back with Bell, and he loses his temper and implodes. They need a new coach if they want to ever win anything, IMO. D'Antoni is like the new Nellie.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-20-2007, 10:57 PM
yea, the Suns are going to have a lot of work to do in order to change their style. Nash sucks at defense. Amare sucks at defense. Barbosa sucks at defense. Diaw sucks at defense. The only decent defenders are Marion and Bell, who IMO are overrated defenders. Get physical with Marion, and he backs down. Get dirty right back with Bell, and he loses his temper and implodes. They need a new coach if they want to ever win anything, IMO. D'Antoni is like the new Nellie.

agreed

however, watch my spurs lose to the suns in 6

its been that type of season

SpursDynasty
03-20-2007, 11:04 PM
agreed

however, watch my spurs lose to the suns in 6

its been that type of season

3rd best record in the league at 46-20 (we were 33-18 on Feb. 11th, look at the improvement), 1st in lowest opponent's points per game, 4th in lowest opponent's field goal percentage.

Oh yeah, it's been that type of "we're declining" season :lol

Once again, stop comparing us to DAL/PHX.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-20-2007, 11:06 PM
3rd best record in the league at 46-20 (we were 33-18 on Feb. 11th, look at the improvement), 1st in lowest opponent's points per game, 4th in lowest opponent's field goal percentage.

Oh yeah, it's been that type of "we're declining" season :lol

Once again, stop comparing us to DAL/PHX.

take a poll and see how many spurs fans are satisfied and then get back to me

SpursDynasty
03-20-2007, 11:10 PM
take a poll and see how many spurs fans are satisfied and then get back to me

I guarantee you that the only reason most Spurs fans aren't satisfied is because they want what Phoenix and Dallas are doing: Beating all the easy teams. Dallas will clearly have competition in the 1st and 2nd rounds, if GS and Utah hold their current seeding. For SA fans, during a 13 game streak, all is fine and well, but once we lose 2 games, it's like we might as well be 0-66 after 66 games. Heck, we could have a 20 game streak, then lose 1 game to a team like the Hawks and most of us will act like "we're on the decline".

Silly losses really get over-exaggerated, such as the Orlando loss with Howard's dunk.

And for the record (no pun intended), SA has a better record vs Utah, Dallas, and Detroit than Phoenix.

I still say, June championship parade coming up in SA.

I just can't want to laugh in June at all the doubters.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-20-2007, 11:22 PM
I guarantee you that the only reason most Spurs fans aren't satisfied is because they want what Phoenix and Dallas are doing: Beating all the easy teams. Dallas will clearly have competition in the 1st and 2nd rounds, if GS and Utah hold their current seeding. For SA fans, during a 13 game streak, all is fine and well, but once we lose 2 games, it's like we might as well be 0-66 after 66 games. Heck, we could have a 20 game streak, then lose 1 game to a team like the Hawks and most of us will act like "we're on the decline".

Silly losses really get over-exaggerated, such as the Orlando loss with Howard's dunk.

And for the record (no pun intended), SA has a better record vs Utah, Dallas, and Detroit than Phoenix.

I still say, June championship parade coming up in SA.

I just can't want to laugh in June at all the doubters.

last year we had several injuries to key players and went on to have the best franchise w-l record in history

and we lost to the mavs in 7

complain about the reffing all you want, at the end of the day, the better team won.

This year we're doing WORSE than last year

and the mavs only got better

you do the math

and come june I'll be more than happy to discuss the best fishing resorts

z0sa
03-20-2007, 11:45 PM
too many fair weather fans in this forum.

Peter
03-20-2007, 11:55 PM
in the second round. Its going to be awesome watching that team go home again and all the pundits having to admit that the Suns style can't win in the playoffs.

What I am curious about, though, is what will the Suns do when they lose in the second round? They already have the best 5-6 players in the league for the style of game that they play. It wont be a personnel issue. Its a style issue. But they cant change, and if they can, how?

Fuck that bitch we're coming for you.

SpursDynasty
03-21-2007, 12:03 AM
last year we had several injuries to key players and went on to have the best franchise w-l record in history

and we lost to the mavs in 7

complain about the reffing all you want, at the end of the day, the better team won.

This year we're doing WORSE than last year

and the mavs only got better

you do the math

and come june I'll be more than happy to discuss the best fishing resorts

It was more of what Manu did, and mental breakdowns in OT by the Spurs, than the Mavs beating SA. I mean, 104-101 with 32 seconds left, that's good enough to say the better team was about to win. We've said the "If Manu didn't foul" thing over and over and I'm sure everyone's tired of it. Spurs also had possession of the ball in the closing seconds of regulation. Another instance of the better team being in position to win.

I had no complaints about the officiating, but I will say that if Dallas truly was the better team in the series, dethroning the champion Spurs, then they would have gone on the win the NBA Finals. They clearly were not the better team.

I'll be very impressed if Dallas can even make it back to the Finals this year. There won't be any Amare-less Suns this year, and Amare just about shot 100% vs Dallas in that last game, and the Warriors will be a much tougher first round opponent than the Memphis Grizzles, Mavs are 0-2 vs GS. Don't forget Utah in the second round for Dallas. A much tougher playoffs this year.

I think I speak for most of us when I say that nothing I just said is new information.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2007, 12:09 AM

they cant stop the spurs, nobody can...

fuck you refs

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2007, 12:11 AM
It was more of what Manu did, and mental breakdowns in OT by the Spurs, than the Mavs beating SA. I mean, 104-101 with 32 seconds left, that's good enough to say the better team was about to win. We've said the "If Manu didn't foul" thing over and over and I'm sure everyone's tired of it. Spurs also had possession of the ball in the closing seconds of regulation. Another instance of the better team being in position to win.

I had no complaints about the officiating, but I will say that if Dallas truly was the better team in the series, dethroning the champion Spurs, then they would have gone on the win the NBA Finals. They clearly were not the better team.

I'll be very impressed if Dallas can even make it back to the Finals this year. There won't be any Amare-less Suns this year, and Amare just about shot 100% vs Dallas in that last game, and the Warriors will be a much tougher first round opponent than the Memphis Grizzles, Mavs are 0-2 vs GS. Don't forget Utah in the second round for Dallas. A much tougher playoffs this year.

I think I speak for most of us when I say that nothing I just said is new information.

Oh, I never said th Mavs were gonna have it easy

and I would LOVE for us to turn it up in the playoffs and win it all

but I don't agree with the logic that just because the Mavs didn't go all the way, they weren't better than the Spurs last year. At least they got to the finals last year.

If terry hadn't been suspended we wouldn't have even gotten to a game 7

The series would've ended in Dallas

Granted, it was Terry's fault for punching Finley in the nuts, the truth of the matter is that we were very fortunate to get a game 7.

The mavs always hit big shots in that series whereas we faltered.

This season, we seem to be reverting to small ball more than ever and the team has yet to truly gel together. the 13 game win streak was nice, but at least 11 of those games were to almost lottery teams.

We never truly came together last year and look what happend.

Now, anything can happen in the playoffs, I thought when dallas went up 2-0 on Miami that the finals were over.

I thought Detroit would crush everyone last year.

But based on what SA has shown me so far, it's a little tough to truly have faith in a team when they hardly seem to have faith in themselves.

SpursDynasty
03-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Oh, I never said th Mavs were gonna have it easy

and I would LOVE for us to turn it up in the playoffs and win it all

but I don't agree with the logic that just because the Mavs didn't go all the way, they weren't better than the Spurs last year. At least they got to the finals last year.

If terry hadn't been suspended we wouldn't have even gotten to a game 7

The series would've ended in Dallas

Granted, it was Terry's fault for punching Finley in the nuts, the truth of the matter is that we were very fortunate to get a game 7.

The mavs always hit big shots in that series whereas we faltered.

This season, we seem to be reverting to small ball more than ever and the team has yet to truly gel together. the 13 game win streak was nice, but at least 11 of those games were to almost lottery teams.

We never truly came together last year and look what happend.

Now, anything can happen in the playoffs, I thought when dallas went up 2-0 on Miami that the finals were over.

I thought Detroit would crush everyone last year.

But based on what SA has shown me so far, it's a little tough to truly have faith in a team when they hardly seem to have faith in themselves.

But remember:

Brent Barry > Michael Jordan :lol

monosylab1k
03-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Spurs will manhandle Phoenix. And then the real contenders will duke it out.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2007, 12:26 AM
But remember:

Brent Barry > Michael Jordan :lol

dude

i also said

beno udrih > kobe

i was kiddingggggggg

but yeah, anything can happen really

jack0fspeed
03-21-2007, 10:46 PM
It was more of what Manu did...

Manu almost won it for you. Then he made one of the most boneheaded plays of all time. You have to take the good with the bad. We know at some point, Josh Howard is going to screw something up big time...Stack too.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-22-2007, 12:06 AM
If the Mavs/Spurs WCF happens, I wish the Mavs could just give the Spurs the first 2 games at the barn. I just have alot of comfort of them playing at the AT&T American Airlines Centers. The Mavs play better in that building and it has shown. Hell if it was up to me I would want every game to be played their. :lol :lol

spursrule32
03-22-2007, 12:17 AM
looking forward to y'all winning a championship - just kidding I know y'all can't win a championship

J.T.
03-22-2007, 02:26 AM
I don't remember much about the Game 7 from last year, mostly due to several blackouts due to alcohol in the days following the game, depression from the loss and the 500 dollars I spent on tickets that I may as well have wiped my ass with, and the Mav fans here who thought beating the Spurs meant they could start planning a parade for June. I didn't really get over it until the Super Bowl this year, because, as a Colts fan we finally beat New England after years of being pwned by them in the playoffs. All I could think about was that even though the Mavs did the same thing, they didn't win when it counted, and I was scared the same thing could happen.

But when the Colts won, I realized that winning a championship feels so much better when it comes after a few heartbreaking playoffs losses. On any given night, the Spurs can roll with any team in the league. There are a few teams that have uncharacteristically beaten us this season, but it just reminds me of the 04 playoffs when, even though we lost, the Grizzlies swept us in the regular season but we swept them in the playoffs (which became the first part of the Memphis Grizzlies First Round Bye Trilogy).

But anyway, think about this Spurs fans. 1999 was a weird championship because we dominated that run, but would it have been as sweet without all the previous playoff failures, especially 95? Would 2003 have meant as much without us dethroning the LA Dynasty that had pushed us around before, or the Steve Kerr Show in Dallas? Would 2005 have meant as much if .4 didn't happen and Horry didn't hit the Fathers Day Dagger? It's intangibles like this that make the playoffs exciting, and winning sweeter. Yeah, I'd still have gotten crunk for all of those titles anyway, but knowing that we finally got over some humps or bounced back from some heartbreak made it a lot more special for me. Dallas broke our hearts last year. Let's bounce back again.

As for this talk about playoff matchups. If current seeding holds, Dallas plays the Clippers which I'll say Mavs take in 5. But GS could sneak in, and probably will. I don't want to compare the Mavs to the Pistons of last year, but if seeding stays remotely close to what it is now, their western conference opponents have the possibility to be Warriors, Jazz, and then us. That's three incredibly tough opponents for a one seed. Yeah, maybe the Spurs don't have the same record they had last year, but maybe being the underdog will give this team more to play for. I'm sure the players want to make up for last year, and I'm looking forward to April. We can roll with any team in the West. I know we've lost to a few of the playoff teams more than once already, but remember what I said about the Grizzlies. They managed to beat us every time in the season, but we swept em. The Spurs know how to take care of business and I think three titles and a franchise best record last season has spoiled the hell out of a lot of fans. I'm a little disappointed with the way the Spurs are playing some games, but they'll get it done. Believe.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-22-2007, 02:33 AM
I don't remember much about the Game 7 from last year, mostly due to several blackouts due to alcohol in the days following the game, depression from the loss and the 500 dollars I spent on tickets that I may as well have wiped my ass with, and the Mav fans here who thought beating the Spurs meant they could start planning a parade for June. I didn't really get over it until the Super Bowl this year, because, as a Colts fan we finally beat New England after years of being pwned by them in the playoffs. All I could think about was that even though the Mavs did the same thing, they didn't win when it counted, and I was scared the same thing could happen.

But when the Colts won, I realized that winning a championship feels so much better when it comes after a few heartbreaking playoffs losses. On any given night, the Spurs can roll with any team in the league. There are a few teams that have uncharacteristically beaten us this season, but it just reminds me of the 04 playoffs when, even though we lost, the Grizzlies swept us in the regular season but we swept them in the playoffs (which became the first part of the Memphis Grizzlies First Round Bye Trilogy).

But anyway, think about this Spurs fans. 1999 was a weird championship because we dominated that run, but would it have been as sweet without all the previous playoff failures, especially 95? Would 2003 have meant as much without us dethroning the LA Dynasty that had pushed us around before, or the Steve Kerr Show in Dallas? Would 2005 have meant as much if .4 didn't happen and Horry didn't hit the Fathers Day Dagger? It's intangibles like this that make the playoffs exciting, and winning sweeter. Yeah, I'd still have gotten crunk for all of those titles anyway, but knowing that we finally got over some humps or bounced back from some heartbreak made it a lot more special for me. Dallas broke our hearts last year. Let's bounce back again.

As for this talk about playoff matchups. If current seeding holds, Dallas plays the Clippers which I'll say Mavs take in 5. But GS could sneak in, and probably will. I don't want to compare the Mavs to the Pistons of last year, but if seeding stays remotely close to what it is now, their western conference opponents have the possibility to be Warriors, Jazz, and then us. That's three incredibly tough opponents for a one seed. Yeah, maybe the Spurs don't have the same record they had last year, but maybe being the underdog will give this team more to play for. I'm sure the players want to make up for last year, and I'm looking forward to April. We can roll with any team in the West. I know we've lost to a few of the playoff teams more than once already, but remember what I said about the Grizzlies. They managed to beat us every time in the season, but we swept em. The Spurs know how to take care of business and I think three titles and a franchise best record last season has spoiled the hell out of a lot of fans. I'm a little disappointed with the way the Spurs are playing some games, but they'll get it done. Believe.
:tu Good post.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Any way you cut it though, there's no easy road to the finals this year. I think if the playoffs started today we'd play the Lakers? Who by the way are starting to get on little roll. And the Mavs would play Golden State. In no way would G.S. knock off the mavs, but they have the potential to push them like Sacramento did to us last year. Either way, whoever comes out the west is going to have their work cut out for them.

Voice of Truth
03-22-2007, 02:54 AM

Looking ahead of the first round opponent??

Not good!

You forgot to mention that the Spurs need to get past the first round to play the Suns.

Either the Nuggets or Lakers could and will give the Spurs some fits or even pull an upset...

J.T.
03-22-2007, 03:22 AM
In all honesty I'd like to play the Lakers in the first round. I'm not sure of the records now but I know that a few weeks ago, the Rockets, Jazz and Lakers were all pretty close. I wouldn't want to have to play the Rockets or Jazz in the first round because I think those will be like the SAC series last year and take a toll on us. Not to take anything away from the Lakers, they are capable of playing good ball, but they've been pretty streaky this season and we just caught them at a bad time. I'm pretty confident we can beat them and not be too worn out.

Something I kind of lost track on in my last post was comparing the Mavs to the Pistons of last year. Record-wise they're on the same pace as Detroit, might lose a couple more down the stretch but will definitely finish in the mid 60s. Detroit got a pretty easy draw in the 1st round last year, was pushed to 7 by Lebron and faltered against the Heat. I don't think the Mavs will fold, they've got some really great playoff experience now, but if they have to go through the Warriors and Jazz before the WCF, and if we make it to the WCF as well, in all honesty I think the Mavs will be at a disadvantage because of two very tough previous playoff series. A potential route for the Spurs is LA->PHX->DAL, and in that case I don't think that the Lakers and Suns would wear us down as much as the Warriors and Jazz would Dallas. But anything can happen. I was sippin the Kool Ail like Vexler was after we dominated SAC in the first game last year and I was in for a rude awakening. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Bring on April.

Dalhoop
03-22-2007, 06:07 AM

If they are following the Mavs model ....

1) After the loss, they will add some defensive players with questionable offensive skills. These players will play a few games in the regular season and the team will continue to win. After awhile the Suns will realize that their offense isn't what it had been (Other teams will double off the defensive players, instead of one of the Suns offensive threats)

Then in the play-offs they will run into a team that kills them with the doubling off the defense players.

After the next years loss the team will have a choice. Go back to thr run-n-gun, or change coaches and go the route of Mavs.

I think they will change coaches. I am not sure that the defense mindset will work with the Suns. Dallas got rid of two VERY KEY offensive players (Nash and Finley) on the team to make the defense work. The Suns cannot get rid of Nash and still run their offense (Marion and Amare can't win a game without Nash), and he is a big liability on defense.

I can see them struggle in the playoffs until father time catches up with Nash and the Suns are forced to go a different direction at the point.

ponky
03-22-2007, 06:40 AM
I guarantee you that the only reason most Spurs fans aren't satisfied is because they want what Phoenix and Dallas are doing: Beating all the easy teams.

So I guess among those easy teams would be the Spurs twice, the Suns twice, the Rockets twice, the Cavs twice and the Pistons.

You call a 3-4 Spurs record over a 2-6 Suns record something to gloat about when four of those losses for the Suns came in the first month of the season? Mavs are at least above 0.500 with 4-3 against Utah, Spurs and Detroit. When you throw the Suns in the mix Mavs are 6-4 and the Spurs are 4-5. So yes, you're right, we're beating the easy teams but we're also doing a better job of beating the harder teams than the Spurs.

Clutch20
03-22-2007, 09:25 PM
So I guess among those easy teams would be the Spurs twice, the Suns twice, the Rockets twice, the Cavs twice and the Pistons.

You call a 3-4 Spurs record over a 2-6 Suns record something to gloat about ...............

But, are you looking forward to us guys beating the Suns?!

SPURS4LIFE21
03-23-2007, 03:48 PM

:tu