PDA

View Full Version : Would you be happy with a Million dollars?

thepeopleslawyer
03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Does spurstalk have any millionaires?

Being a millionaire just isn't the same these days

NEW YORK (AP) -- Renee Weese has reached an enviable goal -- she's become a millionaire. But like many others whose net worth has risen in recent years to seven figures, she doesn't feel particularly wealthy.

Not that long ago, the word "millionaire" conjured up visions of chauffeured limousines and extravagant shopping trips and elegant yachts. These days, a millionaire is more likely to be the guy or gal next door who saved carefully -- and perhaps benefited from the sharp run-up in housing prices -- but still worries about covering the exploding costs of children's educations, caring for aging parents and funding their own retirements.

Weese, 51, of Atlanta, Georgia, credits her good financial fortune to good-paying jobs and windfalls when her startup insurance company went public and, later, when it was taken over by a bigger insurer. Still, Weese worries about how far the money will go.

As she puts it: "I know I have more money than a lot of people do. But I don't feel I can sit back on my heels. I have lots of years ahead of me, and elderly parents I help financially a bit, and kids and grandkids."

Reachable goal
To people living paycheck to paycheck or who haven't saved much -- which is the bulk of the U.S. population -- a million dollars seems very far out of reach. But a growing number of Americans are accumulating that amount and more. According to research from Merrill Lynch & Co. and the consulting firm Capgemini, some 2.9 million people in the United States and Canada have net worths of $1 million. The New York-based companies count all of an individual's financial assets except a primary residence.

Atlanta financial adviser Micah Porter, who has worked with Weese, estimated that about 70 percent of the wealthy clients his Minerva Planning Group sees have earned their money by building successful businesses or saving from their salaries. The others inherited all or part of their wealth.

But having that much money doesn't necessarily mean their financial concerns are over. He said a big worry is how long the money will last because "they've become used to a certain standard of living that may be difficult to support" when they stop working.

And the fact is, $1 million doesn't go as far these days as it used to. For one thing, it's vulnerable to inflation -- someone who bought $1 million worth of goods in 1957 would need $7.3 million to buy the same goods today, according to Federal Reserve figures.

It's also vulnerable to longevity. Americans are living much longer than they used to, and that means they need larger nest eggs to get them through retirement.

Interestingly, it is workers' focus on saving for their retirement that leads Dan Sontag, an executive in the global private client division of Merrill Lynch, to predict that a growing number of Americans will achieve the million dollar milestone.

He notes that many baby boomers -- those born between 1946 and 1964 -- have been contributing to company-sponsored 401(k) retirement plans and similar employer-backed programs for 25 years "and those account balances have mushroomed."

In addition, many of these people also own homes that appreciated greatly in the boom market of recent years.

"I think if boomers look at the numbers, between your 401(k) and your home equity, you may be a millionaire -- or pretty close," he said.

But Sontag also understands that those who accumulate that kind of money may not feel as if they've arrived on Easy Street.

"Your father and my father had a guaranteed income stream from pensions," he said. "But today's retirees aren't guaranteed the income flow. They guaranteed a block of assets that they have to create the income against." That leads to uncertainty, he says.

Not the same milestone
Two baby boomer who recently hit the $1 million mark are Liz Pulliam Weston, 44, a personal finance expert, and her husband Will, 53, a professor at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California. As she put it in a recent column on MSN.com, "the day my husband and I became millionaires was a lot like any other day."

In fact, she said in an interview, she was updating her computer software and "like when a car's odometer rolls over, our net worth totaled out to seven figures."

Weston described the milestone as "feeling neat," but she also drew several practical lessons from it:

The average person may feel that $1 million is unattainable, but Weston points out that she accumulated her cache "putting away a little of every paycheck no matter what."

Hitting the $1 million mark doesn't mean you can stop saving. The couple has a daughter to educate and, with long-lived relatives in the family, a likely long-term retirement to finance.

"On top of that, we have a pretty expensive lifestyle, living as we do in southern California," she said.

But David Bach, author of "The Automatic Millionaire" and other financial advice books, points out that "99 percent of Americans don't have a million dollars -- and to them, a million dollars is a fortune." To the millions around the world who live on $1 a day or less, "it's unfathomable."

His concern is that setting people up to think they can't have a good life or a comfortable retirement without that kind of money is counterproductive.

"Take a baby boomer who has less than $50,000 in savings -- which is what the average baby boomer has -- and tell them they need $1 million, you might as well give them a gun and tell them to shoot themselves," Bach said.

So while Bach believes $1 million is an achievable goal, especially for those who save persistently, he also believes it shouldn't be the only goal that's held out.

"For most people, $50,000 to $100,000 more in savings would change their lives for the better," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/20/businessoflife.million.ap/index.html

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2007, 09:58 PM
when ur 55-65 << retirement age, 700k-1mill << superannuation + home equity sell off wont last you that much, but it can all work out if you can budget out ur living expenses...i think i can survive on 20-25k a year...

Marklar MM
03-20-2007, 10:03 PM
If I had a 1,000,000 (If I had a 1,000,000)
I'd but you a house ( I would buy you a house)
I'd buy you furniture for your house ( maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman)
I'd but you a K-car ( a nice reliant automobile)
If I had a 1,000,000, I'd buy you love

If I had a 1,000,000
I'd build a treefort in our yard
If I had a 1,000,000
You could help it wouldn't be that hard
If I had a 1,000,000
Maybe we could put a refrigerator in there
Wouldn't that be fabulous!

I but you a fur coat( but not a real fur coat that's cruel)
I'd buy you an exotic pet(like a llama or an emu)
I'd but you John Merick's remains (All them crazy elephant bones)
If I had a 1,000,000 I'd buy your love

If I had a 1,000,000
We wouldn't have to walk to the store
If I had a 1,000,000
We'd take a limousine cause it costs more
If I had a 1,000,000 We wouldnt have to eat Kraft dinner

i'd but you a green dress ( but not a real green dress that's cruel)
I'd but you some art ( A Picasso or a Garfunkel)
I'd buy you a monkey (haven't you always wanted a monkey?)
If I had a 1,000,000 If I had a 1,000,000 If I had a 1,000,000
If I had a 1,000,000 I'd be RICH!

Vizzini
03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
"If I had a million dollars, I would do two chicks at one time, and I think I could make that happen, seeing as chicks dig a dude with a lot of money"

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Sugarless94/officespace_lawrence.jpg

samikeyp
03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
"If I had a million dollars, I would do two chicks at one time, and I think I could make that happen, seeing as chicks dig a dude with a lot of money"

:lmao

"Watch your cornhole, Peter!" :lmao

mookie2001
03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
jim is a millionaire, his sons all have new tahoes and he let them give their friends the old tahoes

samikeyp
03-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Yes...I would be happy.

CuckingFunt
03-20-2007, 10:26 PM
I'd be happy, but I wouldn't expect it to magically take care of all my financial issues forever and always.

tlongII
03-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Maybe Shoog will let me borrow a mil.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Millionaires don't like admitting to being millionaires.

Spurminator
03-20-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't know, but I'd be willing to be a guinea pig.

E20
03-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Having a million doesn't really do anything here in California. A decent house here is a million and now your broke because you wasted the million on a house. I made the biggest mistake, I played the lotto and didn't realize the jackpot was worth 7 million, what a waste of the dollar. 7 million isn't that much either in California either. Sure Buy a nice house for 6 million, waste like 400K on the stuff inside the house and like 90K on cars and your left 510K for the rest of your life. Not that much.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Having a million doesn't really do anything here in California. A decent house here is a million and now your broke because you wasted the million on a house. I made the biggest mistake, I played the lotto and didn't realize the jackpot was worth 7 million, what a waste of the dollar. 7 million isn't that much either in California either. Sure Buy a nice house for 6 million, waste like 400K on the stuff inside the house and like 90K on cars and your left 510K for the rest of your life. Not that much.

Wages are high there as well, along with cost of living.

Melmart1
03-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Are you buying the house with cash? I mean seriously... take out a damn mortgage, invest the rest, start a new business venture... something to make the rest grow.

NorCal510
03-20-2007, 11:46 PM
us teens dont know what mortgages are

atxrocker
03-21-2007, 12:01 AM
And I am a millionaire.

seriously? aren't you the one that made that what would you do with 300 dollars thread?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Making a million is one thing.

Having a million as disposable income is another. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2007, 12:12 AM
plenty of taholes to go around with 1mill.....

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Making a million is one thing.

Having a million as disposable income is another. :lol

disposable/residual income watever you wanna call it = fuckn taxes = not much behind....

E20
03-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Are you buying the house with cash? I mean seriously... take out a damn mortgage, invest the rest, start a new business venture... something to make the rest grow.
Yeah If I had a million and I was deciding to buy a house I would buy the house paid in full, I don't wanna be stuck with a morgtage for 26 years. Even though which I will in the future, I don't like the fact that I have to pay large bills every month or pay back people more money than I owe them and I'm way too lazy to start a buisness. Invest maybe, but I'm too much of a puss to invest my money when it could just be blown away and buying shares from all the good companies would be useless, they're too expensive and can their stocks rise any more? Sure, but it take a billion years for my money to double.

E20
03-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Also, to add on that I'm pretty sure I'd never play stocks or invest my money in anything. I'm just gonna rely on my job and the lottery.

Trainwreck2100
03-21-2007, 02:20 AM
invest it at 5%

shelshor
03-21-2007, 02:49 AM
I wouldn't be happy with the $mil per se, but with what i could do with it after I pay off those thieving SOBs at the IRS for their share
Then pay off the mortgage, do some home repairs and painting, buy us each at least one new car, diversify some investments and call up Qantas for a 3 month vacation in Australia and New Zealand

Xolotl
03-21-2007, 08:01 AM
I'd be happy with $20 and a bucket of chicken

AFBlue
03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah. My family has the money. I have like 2 grand.

Then you aren't a millionare GiG...you just get a few crumbs from the pie.

AFBlue
03-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Hell yeah I'd be happy with a million dollars. And I'd be smart enough to live in an area where the million goes as far as it can...like Africa, I could live like a KING!

xXx
03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
that's sweet gig. at this point, you're only a few dead people away man.

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately, 1 million net worth is not that big a deal, especially if you have kids to put through college and want to live a reasonably comfortable retirement.

tlongII
03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, 1 million net worth is not that big a deal, especially if you have kids to put through college and want to live a reasonably comfortable retirement.

It's always the millionaires that say it isn't that big a deal! :rolleyes

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
It's always the millionaires that say it isn't that big a deal! :rolleyes

hehehe

The problem is that if you sell all your cool stuff (house,business,toys etc.) to get liquid then all you've got is a fucking rocking chair and money left and life would be boring as hell. I figure that I will still probably work till at least 70 so I can keep the lifestyle and the toys.

tlongII
03-21-2007, 10:15 AM
hehehe

The problem is that if you sell all your cool stuff (house,business,toys etc.) to get liquid then all you've got is a fucking rocking chair and money left and life would be boring as hell. I figure that I will still probably work till at least 70 so I can keep the lifestyle and the toys.

You're only going to work for 2 more years??? :wow

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2007, 10:21 AM
You're only going to work for 2 more years??? :wow

:lmao

hehehe I've still got a few more years than that. I have to admit I have considered cashing out now and buying a ranch in Montana but am pretty sure the SO wouldn't go for it.

slayermin
03-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I would invest in an independent film and blow it all.

phyzik
03-21-2007, 02:50 PM
1 million dollars in a high yeild CD where you get sent the interest check is the way to go... That right there would cover a house payment for a decent sized house.

Take 1,000,000.00 multiply by the interest rate (lets say 5.25 which is not unreasonable for a bank to give you for having that ammount of money with them) multiplied by the number of days in the month devided by 365.... that gives you around 4000.00 a month worth of interest. most people could live off of that comfortably.... I know I could.

I'd rather do that then pay for a house outright and be broke. just make additional payments on the mortgage to get it done quicker.

People these days just dont think.

DirkAB
03-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Speak for yourself.

I would pay straight up for a house. Why be stuck with a mortgage? It is better to pay everything off when you have the money rather than owe people.

And I am a millionaire.

Are you kidding me? You think that it is better to give all you capital away just to avoid debt?

You don't think you can grow your money faster than a the low fixed mortgage rates available? Why do you think that millionaires and billionaires borrow when they have the money?

Have you ever heard the adage it takes money to make money? Not to mention it takes debt to build credit. Good luck to you in your financial future if that remains to be your outlook.

phyzik
03-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Are you kidding me? You think that it is better to give all you capital away just to avoid debt?

You don't think you can grow your money faster than a the low fixed mortgage rates available? Why do you think that millionaires and billionaires borrow when they have the money?

Have you ever heard the adage it takes money to make money? Not to mention it takes debt to build credit. Good luck to you in your financial future if that remains to be your outlook.

Hence the reason most Americans live paycheck to paycheck. They dont know what to do with their money (Im one to talk though, Im stuck in that boat until I can at least get rid of one CC bill, which should be in a few months).

sabar
03-21-2007, 04:49 PM
How could you not be happy with it? Invest it all and you could live off interest alone. Keep your job and you have massive disposable income to live in relative luxury the rest of your life. If you lose your job you have a massive cushion to fall back on until you do get a new job.

My dream would be to invest it all and own an NBA/NFL franchise.

DirkAB
03-21-2007, 04:56 PM
My dream would be to invest it all and own an NBA/NFL franchise.

1 million dollars, not 100 million dollars.

phyzik
03-21-2007, 05:51 PM
1 million dollars, not 100 million dollars.

I think he means taking the 1 million and investing it heavily into high risk investments hoping for a big payout, then re-investing over and over, or starting his own business in hopes of hitting it big enough to have the capitol for an NBA team