PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Ginobili starring in role as reserve

xamila rey
03-21-2007, 02:08 AM
After reading this, it sounds like many times in the past,
if things dont change, Manu will start again.
In the last two games, we didnt start strong,
specially the third quarter against the celtics
and that really hurt us.
Personally, it doesnt bother me anymore.
I just want him to play good.

Spurs' Ginobili starring in role as reserve
Web Posted: 03/20/2007 11:32 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Less than four minutes into Saturday's game against Boston, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had seen enough. Celtics guard Delonte West just beat the Spurs down the floor for a layup, so Popovich looked at his bench and told Manu Ginobili to go to the scorer's table.
Ginobili barely had time to take his seat for the second half when his coach called on him again.

After Boston scored eight unanswered points, Popovich signaled for a timeout.

Out went Brent Barry, in came Ginobili.

Was Popovich's quick trigger a sign he's considering returning Ginobili to the starting lineup?

Not necessarily.

"Some nights, I might want to get Manu in a little earlier for whatever reason it might be," Popovich said after practice Tuesday, "so it's not really indicative of anything."

Ginobili has come off the bench for the past 21 games and is expected to do so again when the Spurs host Indiana tonight at the AT&T Center. Popovich can't say how long the lineup will remain the same, but he does like the flexibility Ginobili has afforded him.

"I still think he'd rather start if he was pressed and asked," Popovich said, "but I think he's become comfortable in (a reserve) role, and our team has become a little more consistent in a rotation-sense.

"It makes substitutions a whole lot easier that way. We have our top three players on the floor more often. I don't mean all at the same time, but at least one of them is on the floor, and that's important to us."

Ginobili typically replaces Barry with about six minutes left in the first quarter. With Tony Parker and Tim Duncan usually headed to the bench a couple of minutes later, Ginobili becomes the team's primary scorer on the floor.

When he was starting, Ginobili said, "sometimes I went back to the bench with nothing done."

"Probably it helps my confidence," Ginobili said, "but I think I can do it starting, too."

At times, like Saturday's loss to Boston, it seems like Ginobili might as well be starting.

In three of the past five halves, Popovich has pulled Barry less than four minutes into the quarter, once replacing him with Michael Finley.

The Spurs started sluggishly in each half against the Celtics, but Ginobili didn't think the problem was personnel.

"It's not Brent's fault," Ginobili said. "He got one minute, or two minutes, or three or four, whatever.

"It doesn't matter who is on the court. We've all really got to do things better."

Barry showed what he could do with extended minutes last week in Milwaukee, scoring a team-high 20 points while making 7 of 11 shots.

Against the Celtics, Barry played only 14 minutes, his fewest since Jan. 7.

Popovich, however, said he thinks Barry has grown more comfortable with his starting job.

"He's concentrating on playing good 'D,' he's started to get more deflections in a game, he's in better position defensively a lot," Popovich said. "People just notice whether he makes a 3 or not. But he's concentrating on some other things out there and contributing in ways other than scoring."

In the meantime, Ginobili has enhanced his credentials for Sixth Man of the Year.

While Robert Horry joked he doesn't consider Ginobili an official member of the Spurs' bench because "he plays more than half the minutes," Ginobili will become eligible for the award if he doesn't start more than two of the remaining 16 games.

Ginobili averages 17.8 points (on 48.4 percent shooting) as a reserve, second only to Chicago's Ben Gordon among players who have come off the bench at least 20 games.

With Gordon now starting, Ginobili's top competition could come from Phoenix's Leandro Barbosa.

Not that Ginobili cares.

"It's nice to get awards and be treated with respect," he said, "but getting a Sixth Man Award is like being the best left-handed guard. I believe you're either the best player or not."

Ginobili also has tried to prepare himself for the possibility he might return to starting. In past seasons, Popovich hasn't hesitated to alter his lineup in the playoffs to try to gain a specific matchup advantage.

"With Pop, one day he just might think he's going to go back, and I have to be ready," Ginobili said. "Sometimes it's not that easy to change the mental chip from one day to another. It's one thing to be sitting and studying what's going on for six minutes and (another) to be starting. ... and knowing after five or six minutes you're going back to the bench.

"I guess sooner or later, it's going to happen. But if it's tomorrow, or in the playoffs, or never, I just don't care. I'll try to do the same thing."

BENCH SCORING LEADERS

(Minimum 20 Games; stats through Monday)

Player, team PPG MPG

Ben Gordon, Bulls 22.5 31.1

Manu Ginobili, Spurs 17.8 26.2

Leandro Barbosa, Suns 17.0 30.5

Corey Maggette, Clippers 14.7 26.5

Kyle Korver, Sixers 14.5 30.7

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032107.01C.BKNspurs.ginobili.39af15c.html