PDA

View Full Version : Defense

Solid D
11-18-2004, 10:03 AM
http://www.spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/041116/041116_5.jpg

The Spurs, once again, are starting to rank in the top tier in defensive categories. They are currently:
* 3rd in Points Allowed per Game at 88.28 behind 1st place Houston (87.55) and Portland (87.71).
* 4th in Opp. FG % at .410 behind #1 Phoenix (.403), Houston (.407) and Dallas (.409).
* 2nd in Points Differential at +9.71 behind 1st place Phoenix (+12.75)
* Tied for 2nd in Blocks with Portland at 7.14 bpg behind 1st place Utah (7.37)
* 1st in Opp. Assists per Game at 15.28 with the next closest team Utah at 18.0 apg. This stat can be a decent indicator of interior and transition (fast break) defensive effectiveness.

The surprising teams are Phoenix and Dallas...two traditionally up-tempo teams not known for their defensive prowess. This season may be full of surprises before it's over with.

FromWayDowntown
11-18-2004, 10:10 AM
What's particularly encouraging of late is that the Spurs are averaging nearly 100 ppg, while holding opponents in the 80's. The point differential for the season is good, but the differential since the Seattle loss is downright scary. Granted the last few have not been offensive juggernauts, but still, that kind of disparity would mean a boatload of wins.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Another reason SD is on MB's "must read list"...

timvp
11-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Nice post, Solid D.

If Phoenix can keep those defensive stats, they're going to be one of the better teams in the NBA. But you'd have to think that the Suns and the Mavs are going to settle into the middle of the pack as far as defense goes.

Expect the top defensive teams to be the Spurs, Detroit and Houston.

T Park
11-18-2004, 03:31 PM
I disagree with Houston.

Outside of Yao Ming and maybe Maurice Taylor and Jim Jackson, the rest of the players are turnstiles.

Charlie Ward and Tyronne Lue are horrible.

Juwan Howard, and others are mediocre.

Mutombo might be OK.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2004, 03:42 PM
What's that?

This message is hidden because T Park is on your ignore list.

Mr. Sandman, get that shit out of here.

http://www.ceduna.net/webdata/resources/images/street_sweeping_man1.jpg

Duff McCartney
11-18-2004, 04:57 PM
What's that?

:lol

bigzak25
11-18-2004, 05:15 PM
very good post Solid. just like you guys, i'm suprised to see phoenix and dallas up there....houston has the van gundy factor so that's expected. lotsa ball to play, it's probobaly detroit vs. sa, may the best D win.

Das Texan
11-18-2004, 05:25 PM
What's that?

that should almost be nominated for post of the year.

:lol :spin :lol

TheWriter
11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Spurs whopping ass.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-18-2004, 05:40 PM
that is definatley encouraging but our loss to Seattle and the win at the Lakers were poor defensive performances down the stretch, that has to change in order for the spurs to get back in their old groove.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Impressive stat work D. Blinded by my hatred of the Rockets I didn't realize how well they play D. They still suck of course, but the numbers don't lie. Maybe someday the world will sit up and take notice that the key to great D is not in the defenders but in the coaches (Brown, Pop, and Van Gundy-all team D gurus). That's why I'm not seeing the Mavs doing much for all of the "defensive revamping" that people are harping. Nelly is going to wake up one day and say to himself, "Well, they're doing okay, but there's really no reason we shouldn't be averaging 125 points a game." He will then trade all of his centers for six swingmen who can shoot the three.

grjr
11-18-2004, 07:00 PM
I bet the under 188 total points in the game tonight. Can we keep Philly in the 80's?

jr

ShoogarBear
11-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Yes. But we could do that and still lose the game.

timvp
11-27-2004, 12:59 AM
UPDATE:

Spurs first in the league in Points Allowed at 86.6 points per game.

Spurs first in the league in Opp. FG % at .409.

Nice.

:smokin

ZStomp
11-27-2004, 01:07 AM
UPDATE:

Spurs first in the league in Points Allowed at 86.6 points per game.

Spurs first in the league in Opp. FG % at .409.

Nice.

:smokin

:wink

Awesome!!

Manu20
11-27-2004, 01:36 AM
I think the spurs defense is going to be as good as last year and now with a good offense they are going to be a really good team this year.

ALVAREZ6
11-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Yeah, the Spurs all play D, Rash, Dunc, Manu, Bowen, Barry.

Solid D
11-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Here we are 11 days later and the Spurs still lead the league in team defense.

Surprisingly, Dallas is right there. The term _allas is currently not appropriate. Seattle and Phoenix continue to shine as well. Dallas ranks second in rebounding (not necessarily a defensive indicator)

As of 11/29/04
Opp. FG%
1 San Antonio .411
2 Dallas .416
3 Phoenix .418
4 Miami .419
5 Houston .420

Opp. PPG
1 San Antonio 85.85
2 Portland 87.84
3 Houston 88.93
4 Cleveland 90.00
5 Seattle 91.20
9 Dallas 94.40

Point Differential
1 Phoenix +11.69
2 San Antonio +9.78
3 Cleveland +7.61
4 Seattle +7.60
5 LAC +4.35
7 Dallas +4.06

One other surprising ranking...Dallas ranks #1 in defending the arc. Opponents have something to do with this but thusfar, Dallas is allowing a paltry .274.

The Pistons and Spurs, the top 2 defensive teams last year, are the league's worst at defending the three-point line at this juncture. Detroit ranks last at .418 and SA next at .408.

I'm sure the 3-point rankings will change but curious never-the-less.

Jimcs50
11-29-2004, 11:46 AM
I am telling you, these are not your Daddy's Mavericks.

I have watched them play 3-4 games this year and I am very impressed by their team defense. Dampier is rubbing off on his new team.

BigVee
11-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Duncan sure looks a lot more active defensively. I have seen a lot of Spurs games, but I can't remember him stalking a guard to the hole, follow him 10 feet back toward the key and block his shot as he tries to turn and shoot a jumper. He is really moving well.

Useruser666
11-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Notice Dallas being second in Opp. FG% yet 9th in points allowed. It means that they are allowing a lot more shots off than the Spurs.

Their opp. score almost 9 more ppg than the Spurs opp. Is this due to a faster pace or poor rebounding?

Nikos
11-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Here is an excellent stat site that indicates offensive and defensive efficiency, which is IMO much better than FG% and simple PPG allowed.

http://members.rogers.com/edkupfer/nba/nba_2005.htm - Main Site

Here is the actual lists
http://members.rogers.com/edkupfer/nba/team_stats_small.htm

The Spurs are clearly the best defensive team in the league thus far, and the Cavs are suprisingly #2. Lebrons offense must allow others to focus more on defense and rebounding etc....

The best offensive teams are Phoenix at #1 and Seattle at #2, Spurs rank #7 as of right now just behind Sacto in offensive efficiency.

King
11-29-2004, 12:13 PM
One other surprising ranking...Dallas ranks #1 in defending the arc. Opponents have something to do with this but thusfar, Dallas is allowing a paltry .274.

Well hell, they don't have anyone guarding the interior. Their guys have to be somewhere.

Nikos
11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
As an aside the Spurs lead the league in 2pt% allowed FAR and AWAY, its not even close

Check the red chart at the bottom of this page.....

http://members.rogers.com/edkupfer/nba/team_stats.htm

41.2%, the next closest is 42.4% and third is 44.1%!

Dominance in the paint.

Are the perimeter defenders that bad thus far or are they a little late in their rotations and effort at times?

Jimcs50
11-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Notice Dallas being second in Opp. FG% yet 9th in points allowed. It means that they are allowing a lot more shots off than the Spurs.

Their opp. score almost 9 more ppg than the Spurs opp. Is this due to a faster pace or poor rebounding?

That is because they are shooting more shots than the Spurs, because they play an up tempo game. Opponent shooting % is a much better indicator for how a defense is playing than opp pts/game.

Nikos
11-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Opponent shooting % is a much better indicator for how a defense is playing than opp pts/game.

I will go even further and say defensive efficiency (opponents offensive efficiency) is the best indicator because it factors FT attemps, turnovers, and efficiency PER possesion, not just field goal attempts.

Solid D
11-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Nikos, the site is certainly interesting and provides some additional ratios. I'll bookmark it.

The defensive efficiencies are still weighted by Opp. FG%, points & assists differentials...just more detail to arrive at basically the same conclusions.

I believe the Spurs and Pistons will defend the perimeter better the further they get into the season and the more second nature their rules of defense become for the new guys.

Nikos
11-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Nikos, the site is certainly interesting and provides some additional ratios. I'll bookmark it.

The defensive efficiencies are still weighted by Opp. FG%, points & assists differentials...just more detail to arrive at basically the same conclusions.

I believe the Spurs and Pistons will defend the perimeter better the further they get into the season and the more second nature their rules of defense become for the new guys.

There is another site I refer to at the end of the season that uses Def Efficiency method. Maybe this one isn't what I thought it was supposed to be exactly, but in general this type of concept DOES include FTA's and Turnovers not just weighting FG% Opp and and Assists etc....

You did not mention opponents team FTA per game relative to possesions/shots nor turnovers etc...

Sometimes those little things can mean the difference between being the 4th best O or D, to actually being 1st or 2nd.

Solid D
11-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Yes, actually some useful catagories might be "empty trips" and pts. per trip (possession) - both offensive and defensive for each.