PDA

View Full Version : Scola in this years playoffs

Fabbs
03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
So we finally have an answer on how much Scolas buyout is?
Johnny Ludden writes:

"The buyout clause in Luis’ contract with Tau Ceramica – the same clause that made it next to impossible for the Spurs to sign him two summers ago – has dropped to a little more than $3 million."

Kori posted eons ago that the max the NBA would allow the Spurs to contribute is 500K. Scola would have to pay off the rest on his own.

1. So if the Spurs FO wanted Scola to play right now, how much of a contract could they offer him? Length and amount? I had a Mensa tell me by rule they can only offer him a minimum contract far below $2.5 million.

Update: Kori had posted
Sure. The Spurs are over too. But you have to go by the rules of the CBA to sign players. If the Spurs wanted to sign Scola right now, the most they could do is cut one of their players and sign him to a minimum contract. And a minimum contract isn't enough for him to afford to pay his buyout. So what is the dollar amount and years allowable on a minimum contract?

2. A related but completely different question would be should they offer him anything, now, for this years playoffs? Not what I'm asking, altho feel free to comment. Cuban pays Finley 51 million to go away.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2007, 10:28 AM
if we offered him 7.5mill/3 years....which makes him only earnin 5mill only for those 3 years, his better off stayin in euro....

spurs better of using the mle on something else unless we can pull trades

Fabbs
03-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Courtesy of poster mountainballer we now know Scola made 1.85 mil in 2005-6. How about his contract before and after? What's all this crap about he needs to have his buyout completely paid for? What's he been spending his money on? Enough of this Spreewell "feed my family" nonsense.

http://www.lacoctelera.com/guso/post/2005/09/29/el-nuevo-supermanager-ya-esta-operativo board Espaniler speaking translate por favor?

If he is that good, he could sign a one year deal and then max out in 2007-8 for how much? Certainly at least the MLE at 5 mil per.

Lots of you guys play poker. C'mon, if he is unwilling to come over and play the rest of this season gambling that he can parlay that into a max next year contract, then he has a wussy hand.

Fabbs
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
^^^ plus his contact is tax free and most likely includes free housing and car?

pppppssssshhh.

Phenomanul
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Unless Scola were a Magic, Jason Kidd, Stockton, or Nash type player.... you just can't throw someone into the mix at this point of the season.....

Major Chemistry problems would develop....

Besides, Scola doesn't even know 'the Spurs' playbook.

I'd like to see Scola in a Spurs uniform... but that won't happen this season. At the earliest it will be in the September - October timeframe.

wildbill2u
03-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Courtesy of poster mountainballer we now know Scola made 1.85 mil in 2005-6. How about his contract before and after? What's all this crap about he needs to have his buyout completely paid for? What's he been spending his money on? Enough of this Spreewell "feed my family" nonsense.

http://www.lacoctelera.com/guso/post/2005/09/29/el-nuevo-supermanager-ya-esta-operativo board Espaniler speaking translate por favor?

If he is that good, he could sign a one year deal and then max out in 2007-8 for how much? Certainly at least the MLE at 5 mil per.

Lots of you guys play poker. C'mon, if he is unwilling to come over and play the rest of this season gambling that he can parlay that into a max next year contract, then he has a wussy hand.
The man is supposed to be the best player in Europe. I doubt his Latin pride would let him play for less than he's making now, just to go to the NBA.

Leave him alone, and he'll come home, leaving his contract behind him.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2007, 11:11 AM
i dunno how many games they play euro, the pay seems more attractive per game than in the states....

mountainballer
03-21-2007, 11:46 AM
i dunno how many games they play euro, the pay seems more attractive per game than in the states....

:lol that's a point!

just to answer:
last year Tau played 14 regular season Euroleague games + 10 Euroleaguegames till the finals.
plus 34 regular season domestic league games + 10 PO games
plus the Copa del Rey (don't know, I guess 3 games)

that makes 71 games for the whole season, if a player never misses a game.
a team like the Spurs that usually gowes deep into the PO plays around a 100 games. so yes, in the NBA he has to work about 40% more to fullfill his contract.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2007, 12:06 PM
scola 1.85mill/71 games = $26056 per game

if spurs offered him 3mill per season 3mill/82 = $36585 excluding playoff game/money incentives....

i dunno how much he pays taxes in spain, or the rates in texas.......his better of in europe since the pay is not much different, unless he wants to be on HEB and taco ads...

Bob Lanier
03-21-2007, 01:07 PM
What can Scola do that Ely can't? Rebound? Play defense? Pass?

Fabbs
03-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Qualifyer i don't know for sure, haven't paid enough attention to Ely in years past.
Looking at the stats, Scola could be more of a scoring threat. Maybe.

Unless Ely has been given a bad rap by coaches. The year he got the most minutes he delivered 10 and 5 in 23 for Charlotte.

AFBlue
03-21-2007, 01:55 PM
What can Scola do that Ely can't? Rebound? Play defense? Pass?

Ely can't get on the court because he lacks the motivation/desire to prove himself. It's true that Ely and Scola have similar skill sets, but Scola is MUCH better player because of his aggressiveness/intensity. Scola puts those skills to use....that's the difference.

mountainballer
03-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Ely can't get on the court because he lacks the motivation/desire to prove himself. It's true that Ely and Scola have similar skill sets, but Scola is MUCH better player because of his aggressiveness/intensity. Scola puts those skills to use....that's the difference.

I don't see them very similar.
Ely is a much better athlete, faster and stronger.
Scola is just the better player in any aspect of talent, smartness, skills and, as mentioned, intensity and fighting spirit.
because it was asked: yes, Scola is a very good passer and he works for his team mates well. that's why I'm sure he would succeed in the Spurs system. he is the top scorer of Tau, but he is doing this still very unselfish (much like Tim). he averages usually 2 - 2.5 APG, but considering that in Europe assits are not credited the same amount like in the NBA, this number correlates to more than 3 APG in the NBA. (not absolutly sure, but I guess so)
if it came down to a decission between Ely and Scola this summer (for the same money), Spurs FO would be absolutly out of mind if they chose Ely.

Kori Ellis
03-21-2007, 02:53 PM
To answer the original poster's question ... to sign him right now today, the Spurs would have to cut a player on their roster and sign Scola to a minimum deal.

Minimum for a first year NBA player is $412,718, but that would be prorated for the rest of the games left on this season (18). So his deal would be for about $90K.

I believe you can sign someone to a two-year minimum deal at the most. So if they did, he would earn $90K for this year and earn $687,456 (which will be the minimum next year for players in their 2nd NBA year) next year.

Kori Ellis
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
My bad, there's only 16 games left in the regular season.

So that 90K would be even less.

ducks
03-21-2007, 05:22 PM
pop said it takes 2 years to learn the spurs season
in a article about elson on playing time
so scola can learn it now in 16 games?

nkdlunch
03-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Pop is full of shit. Remember when we got butterhands Nazi, he started for us in the Finals

danyel
03-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Even having an affordable buyout clause I don't think he can do it at any time, there is probably a clause preventing him from doing it at the middle of the season. The buyout option is probably just good before the season starts.

Bruno
03-21-2007, 06:01 PM
^ yes, buyout clauses are only for offseasons.

Tau isn't a nba developement team or a YMCA team, you can't steal take their best player in the middle of a season.

Fabbs
03-21-2007, 11:06 PM
^ yes, buyout clauses are only for offseasons.

Tau isn't a nba developement team or a YMCA team, you can't steal take their best player in the middle of a season.
Isn't their season done any day now?

Fabbs
03-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Pop is full of shit. Remember when we got butterhands Nazi, he started for us in the Finals
thank you.

Kori Ellis
03-21-2007, 11:15 PM

No, the Euroleague Top 16 Tournament will be done in a few weeks but the Spanish League games run til June I think.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-21-2007, 11:31 PM
I doubt his Latin pride would let him play for less than he's making now,
:lol Is "Latin pride" different from regular pride?

Fabbs
03-22-2007, 12:10 AM
No, the Euroleague Top 16 Tournament will be done in a few weeks but the Spanish League games run til June I think.
So we could sign him for the Finals?

Just kidding. :lol
Ok, Scola is not coming this season. Will need "A" games from Elson, Bonner, and maybe even Fabs and Ely. Maybe Finley will skyrocket to 50% for the entire playoffs.

gus
03-22-2007, 09:10 AM
In Euro contracts opts out can be done in offseason.

Period.

Gus

The Truth #6
03-22-2007, 02:19 PM

I don't know if the team can wait 2 years on any new players to learn a system, and that's not an argument for holding on to our creaky veterans. Perhaps the system needs to change a bit to accomodate young talent.

Or, if we go out and get scorers who can't defend, hopefully they can at least actually score. Van Exel and Finley were scorers who didn't play defense and didn't actually score.

ducks
03-22-2007, 02:21 PM
the new players need to be in training camp and hopefully practice with other spur players before training camp

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 02:41 PM

Actually there about to play in a few minutes I think...

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 02:47 PM

And yet the Spurs manage to bring in "role players" to play alongside Tim, Manu, and Tony every year. Just because the other players don't fully comprehend the system doesn't mean that a) they won't play or b) they won't be effective.

Scola might not pick up the nuances of Pop's system right away, but if you tell him to get on the court, hustle his ass off, and be aggressive...he'll be an effective player.

AFBlue
03-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Scola Update:

8pts (4/7 shooting) 5rebs, 1ast in 18 minutes in a 93 -75 blowout of Pau Orthez.