PDA

View Full Version : Matt Schaub traded to Texans

mardigan
03-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Falcons to trade QB Schaub to Texans

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(March 21, 2007) -- A trade that has been speculated on for over a year is now completed.

By day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn Derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to starting quarterback Michael Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, “You're my guy.”

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this off-season, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

Now they've decided to cash it in.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Great trade for Houston, new running back, new quarterback, good moves

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 12:35 PM
At least they have some options at QB now. Schaub was coveted by Miami for a while.

AFBlue
03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
So what do they get for David Carr and where's he going?

mardigan
03-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Not sure yet, reports I have heard say they might straight out release him. The Falcons restructred a long term deal with Schaub before they traded him. 2nd round pick and maybe more compensation, damn

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I wasnt sure they were getting rid of Carr, but this pretty much confirms it.
I wonder if they will be able to get anything for him.

AFBlue
03-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Not sure yet, reports I have heard say they might straight out release him. The Falcons restructred a long term deal with Schaub before they traded him. 2nd round pick and maybe more compensation, damn

I bet some team looking for open competition in training camp will offer a second day pick for him....just not sure who it would be...

AFBlue
03-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Cleveland? Carolina? Detroit?....those are just off the top of my head

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I bet some team looking for open competition in training camp will offer a second day pick for him....just not sure who it would be...Maybe the Raiders or even the Dolphins.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I could definately see the Raiders offering a pick, I doubt they will release him especially because of the 2nd they gave up,they need all the picks they can get, even a 6th would help

Fillmoe
03-21-2007, 12:59 PM
finally houston made the right dam decision.... now all they need to do is get adrian peterson and their offense has improved by leaps and bounds.....

Big Pimp_21
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
I would think the Dolphins would be interested in Carr. There are reports that they were interested in Trent Green. Now that Carr is apparently available, why wouldn't Miami want Carr over an aging QB coming off a nasty concussion?

Fillmoe
03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
i would laugh my ass off if carr went to miami and turned into a pro bowl qb.......

mardigan
03-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Falcons agree to deal backup QB Schaub to HoustonBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Schaub
ATLANTA  In a move that figures to have significant ramifications for the incumbent starters from both teams, the Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday agreed to in principle to trade three-year veteran quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans.

Most of the details of the trade, in which the Falcons are expected to receive a second-round draft choice, and possibly other considerations, have been agreed upon. The deal likely will be completed later Wednesday afternoon.

In acquiring Schaub, the Texans have ostensibly conceded that five-year veteran David Carr, the top overall player chosen in the 2002 draft and a quarterback in whom Houston has invested considerable time and money, is no longer their quarterback of the future. At the same time, the departure of Schaub indicates that new Falcons coach Bobby Petrino is sold on Michael Vick, who is said to have made a strong impression on the rookie sideline boss in their first few months working together.

Schaub, 25, has been the subject of trade rumors for each of the past two springs. ESPN.com reported last Friday in the "Tip Sheet" column that Falcons officials seemed prepared to begin listening to trade offers for him, and had begun discussing possible replacements.

One of the strong candidates to replace Schaub as the backup to Vick, ESPN.com has learned, is Anthony Wright, who played with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2006.

Despite starting only two games in three seasons, and winning neither of them, Schaub is highly regarded around the NFL. The former Virginia standout, a third-round pick by Atlanta in 2004, he has completed 84 of 161 passes for 1,033 yards, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions.

Schaub was a restricted free agent this spring and the Falcons made him the highest qualifying offer possible, at $2.3 million. That qualifying offer meant that, had another club signed Schaub to an offer sheet, and Atlanta not matched it, the Falcons would have received first- and third-round draft choices as compensation.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

midgetonadonkey
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
He won't do shit if they can't protect him. I like him starting over Carr though. The Houston FO is finally trying to do something with that shit offense.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
I would think the Dolphins would be interested in Carr. There are reports that they were interested in Trent Green. Now that Carr is apparently available, why wouldn't Miami want Carr over an aging QB coming off a nasty concussion?
Carr is still unproven, Trent Green is proven. Plus, I just think Green would be a better short term fix. Now if Daunte is never going to be the same player again, then I could see them going after Carr

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Carr is still unproven, Trent Green is proven. Plus, I just think Green would be a better short term fix. Now if Daunte is never going to be the same player again, then I could see them going after CarrDolphins are in a real shithole at the QB spot, I dont beleive Daunte will get back to pro bowl form. Green would be a nice quick fix, but we need to draft some young talent for the long haul.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Dolphins are in a real shithole at the QB spot, I dont beleive Daunte will get back to pro bowl form. Green would be a nice quick fix, but we need to draft some young talent for the long haul.
I think he will, he just tried to come back to early last year and made a bad impression. To think though, yall could of had Brees last year if Saban wasnt such a dipshit

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
I think he will, he just tried to come back to early last year and made a bad impression. To think though, yall could of had Brees last year if Saban wasnt such a dipshitIt wasnt just him, Wayne didnt want to pay him.

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
besides that, he thought a shoulder injury to a QB's throwing arm was a bigger risk that a knee. Guess Brees proved them wrong.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Didnt they give Daunte a huge contract?

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Didnt they give Daunte a huge contract?Yes but I think Brees wanted more.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Texans | Team on verge of acquiring Schaub
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:38:20 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are on the verge of a trade that would send QB Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-round draft picks in this year's NFL Draft, a second-round draft pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in 2008. Schaub is trying to work out a long-term deal with the Texans. While the deal is not yet finalized, it is expected to be completed Wednesday, March 21.

Just saw this, if this is true the Texans gave up way to much

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Texans | Team on verge of acquiring Schaub
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:38:20 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are on the verge of a trade that would send QB Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-round draft picks in this year's NFL Draft, a second-round draft pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in 2008. Schaub is trying to work out a long-term deal with the Texans. While the deal is not yet finalized, it is expected to be completed Wednesday, March 21.

Just saw this, if this is true the Texans gave up way to muchYeah that is too much for a QB that doesnt start.
Reminds me of when Speilman gave up a 2nd rounder for Feely.

midgetonadonkey
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
What the fuck? They swapped first rounders? That's bullshit. Shaub isn't worth that.

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
What the fuck? They swapped first rounders? That's bullshit. Shaub isn't worth that.Texans have #8, Falcons have #10. Not as bad as it seems, but still not worth the two spots plus two 2nd rounders.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-21-2007, 02:29 PM
And now Atlanta has the ammo to move up and land CJ. Blank has a hard on for the GT stud that will put people in the GeorgiaDome seats.

I don't like this trade at all for the Texans...

mardigan
03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
When I heard it was just a 2nd, that was a great trade, but swappping 1sts and 2 seconds is horrible, especially for an unproven qb. McGahee was worth 2 3rds and a 6th, but this guy is worth all that? No way

03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Reminds me of the Phins giving up a high 2nd for AJ Feely.

Atlanta is going to be a major player come draft day if Russell is the first one off the board.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 02:49 PM

Atlanta is going to be a major player come draft day if Russell is the first one off the board.
Your, right, with their 2 seconds and that 8th pick, they could move way up, and if they got Johnson, that would just be sick with the addition of Horn

03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Think about it, if they traded both of their 2nds this year, Houston's 2nd next year and swapped first round picks, they'd only have given up Schaub and their own 2nd to land CJ.

midgetonadonkey
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
By swapping picks, the Texans have given up on any hope that AP would fall to them. Hopefully they will be able to get LaRon Landry. I'm praying he is around at the 10 spot.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 02:55 PM
By swapping picks, the Texans have given up on any hope that AP would fall to them. Hopefully they will be able to get LaRon Landry. I'm praying he is around at the 10 spot.
I still think they will take Levi,or Joe Thomas if he is still there, they need a solid left tackle. And Disgruntled is totally right, absolutely genius on the Falcons part. Giving up Schaub and a 2nd for one of the best recievers coming out in a long long time

mardigan
03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
And Im pretty sure Landry will be there at 10, the only team I could see taking him would be Minnisota, but with Tank coming back next year, I dont see that happening

03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
I can see the Falcons staying at #8 and taking Landry.

I really don't get this trade for the Texans. I just don't see Schaub as that big of an upgrade over Carr.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
I can see the Falcons staying at #8 and taking Landry.

I really don't get this trade for the Texans. I just don't see Schaub as that big of an upgrade over Carr.
Well, Im not sure, Carr looked good at some points last year, and horrible at other times. He wasnt ever givin that great of an opportunity. Schaub, I guess we will have to see, Ive only seen him play one game, against the Pats, but he looked outstanding in that game

Horry For 3!
03-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Atlanta is fuckin up, they should have kept Schaub. Vick will never get his team to the SB.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Atlanta is fuckin up, they should have kept Schaub. Vick will never get his team to the SB.
Hes got to the NFC championship game with no recievers, I think he definately can

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Yeah that is too much for a QB that doesnt start.
Reminds me of when Speilman gave up a 2nd rounder for Feely.
That one still hurts us Fin fans.

03-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Didn't see your post, sa.

It could be worse, your team could have traded a 4th rounder for Ty Detmer.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Or givin Mike Vanderwack a 2.5 million dollar signing bonus, yuck

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
The Fins are still hurting from all the draft and free agent mistakes made my Wanny and Spielman. But the point is this trade is not worth all that. Maybe just a 2nd rounder and that is all.

03-21-2007, 03:29 PM
No way you could win this ineptitude test:

Or passed on DeMarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman, and Jamaal Brown(the next 3 selections) to draft Mike Williams, the 3rd 1st round WR in a row/

mardigan
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM

Or passed on DeMarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman, and Jamaal Brown(the next 3 selections) to draft Mike Williams, the 3rd 1st round WR in a row/
Yea, well thank God for that from Millen, because DeMarcus Ware is my favorite player ever, maybe I should right Millen a thank you note

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM

Or passed on DeMarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman, and Jamaal Brown(the next 3 selections) to draft Mike Williams, the 3rd 1st round WR in a row/I like the Lions too and will never figure that one out. I guess they figured they invested too much in Joey and wanted to give so many targets he couldnt miss.
Apparently that didnt help.

03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
You know, I can't bash Millen for the Harrington or Charles Rogers pick. They seemed like logical choices at the time and just never lived up to their potential. But there is simply no rational argument for needing three top 10 WRs. None.

It still isn't the worst span of consecutive 1st round busts. It's hard to top Cleveland's 3 year run of Tim Couch(#1 overall), Courtney Brown(#1 overall) and Gerard Warren(#3 overall). Add to that the next two selections of William Green and Jeff Faine and you have a draft disaster.

It's easy to see why these teams are perennial losers and sit atop the draft board...

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
this is always fun to watch for Dolphins fans.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

mardigan
03-21-2007, 03:58 PM
this is always fun to watch for Dolphins fans.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98
Damn, that hurt to watch

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Drafting Super Mario looks better and better by the day.No they are still hurting from that one too.
They could have already had their QB.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Yea, they will never live it down passing on Vince, but I still think Mario will turn out to be damn good

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 04:11 PM
but I still think Mario will turn out to be damn goodhe wont throw for any TD's or rush for 100 yards in a game. He will be fine but never worthy of a #1 overall.

mardigan
03-21-2007, 04:15 PM
he wont throw for any TD's or rush for 100 yards in a game. He will be fine but never worthy of a #1 overall.

But if he ends up getting 10 plus sacks every year I think he will have been well worth the pick. If the Texans could get a couple of defensive tackles in there, he would be good to go

sa_butta
03-21-2007, 04:20 PM
But if he ends up getting 10 plus sacks every year I think he will have been well worth the pick. If the Texans could get a couple of defensive tackles in there, he would be good to gothey just picked up Zgonina, Jeff (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=283&section=TH Players) from Miami, but he is probably just a temporary fix being so old.

03-21-2007, 04:21 PM
To be fair, some of the Texans moves make Millen look competent.

shyne
03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
The Texans are fine, and their O-line is not as bad as people think, alot of the sacks Carr took were because he held onto the ball to long, and was shell shocked from the first 3 seasons. Last years line was alot better, with Sherman coming in. Plus they were learning a new scheme. With Winston, and hopefully Spencer getting healty to go along with Jordan black they picked up, and the vets already there they will be just fine. Plus they wont have Carr back their tripping over his own feet every other play. Also if you watched there Defense the last part of the season they improved by leaps and bounds, and thats because Mario had plantar Facititis all season long. Demeco Ryans will be the best linebacker soon enough, that man is a tackling machine. I would go Landry or Reggie Nelson first rd, if not get Matt another weapon to go along with AJ, and take Dwayne Jarrett.

degenerate_gambler
03-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Switching places in the draft, I can see that. But giving up 2nd rounders this year and next year? Damn that's a high price to pay for 'potential'.

Peter
03-21-2007, 05:47 PM
I was hoping they'd make a move for AP in the draft but that ended when they picked up Green. Carr had one of the highest pass completion %s in the league last season, if not the highest and still managed to be ineffective. With Schaub and Rosenfels they should be able to find a better QB.

midgetonadonkey
03-21-2007, 10:00 PM
The Texans are fine, and their O-line is not as bad as people think, alot of the sacks Carr took were because he held onto the ball to long, and was shell shocked from the first 3 seasons. Last years line was alot better, with Sherman coming in. Plus they were learning a new scheme. With Winston, and hopefully Spencer getting healty to go along with Jordan black they picked up, and the vets already there they will be just fine. Plus they wont have Carr back their tripping over his own feet every other play. Also if you watched there Defense the last part of the season they improved by leaps and bounds, and thats because Mario had plantar Facititis all season long. Demeco Ryans will be the best linebacker soon enough, that man is a tackling machine. I would go Landry or Reggie Nelson first rd, if not get Matt another weapon to go along with AJ, and take Dwayne Jarrett.

I've seen you on the Houston Texans Forums. You are a smart poster and I agree with what you have said.

johngateswhiteley
03-22-2007, 02:07 AM

completely agree. on the flip side, i think the Texans probably gave up too much to get Schaub.

shyne
03-22-2007, 02:13 AM
completely agree. on the flip side, i think the Texans probably gave up too much to get Schaub.

Ya you may be right, but look at it this way, its apparent the the Texans would have used their 2nd rounder this year to get a QB which they got in Schaub. Swapping first rounders really isnt going to matter that much, because i'm sure they will still get the same guy they were going to get at 8, because AP wasn't going to fall to them. So lets say they get Landry or Nelson, maybe Okoye or a WR to help take pressure off Dre, all of those guys will probably still be there except for maybe Landry. So basically all they gave up was a 2nd in 2008, whicj I dont really like but not as bad as people are making it out to be especially if Matt turns out to be what they were looking for.

johngateswhiteley
03-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Ya you may be right, but look at it this way, its apparent the the Texans would have used their 2nd rounder this year to get a QB which they got in Schaub. Swapping first rounders really isnt going to matter that much, because i'm sure they will still get the same guy they were going to get at 8, because AP wasn't going to fall to them. So lets say they get Landry or Nelson, maybe Okoye or a WR to help take pressure off Dre, all of those guys will probably still be there except for maybe Landry. So basically all they gave up was a 2nd in 2008, whicj I dont really like but not as bad as people are making it out to be especially if Matt turns out to be what they were looking for.

1. i thought the Texans gave up 2 second Rounders?

2. i agree, no way AP was falling to 8 anyway

3. with their 10th pick i think the Texans should select Marshawn Lynch. dude is solid and only slightly behind AP, imo...plus, thats only 5 spots higher than most mock drafts have him

4. Ahman Green and Lynch give you a nice 1-2 punch and then get whatever you need starter wise in the 3rd, 4th, & maybe 5th with some free agents

...good luck to 'em.

johngateswhiteley
03-22-2007, 08:19 AM
VINCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! NOOOOOo

why do so many posters insist on not making any sense?

degenerate_gambler
03-22-2007, 09:24 AM
i think one of the reasons atlanta wanted to switch first round places with houston was that they also want landry and doing this assures them that they, and not houston will get him.

also, if cleveland doen't take peterson, then who else in the top 9 will?

tampa? they have cadillac williams
arizona? they have edgerrin james
washington? they have clinton portis
minnesota? they're taking a wide reciever...period.
miami? they have ronnie brown, sammy morris

houston takes peterson at 10 and team him with green, who is 30 by the way, and you have yourself a nice 1-2 punch right there that will give schaub a chance to make some plays.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 11:51 AM
1. i thought the Texans gave up 2 second Rounders?

2. i agree, no way AP was falling to 8 anyway

3. with their 10th pick i think the Texans should select Marshawn Lynch. dude is solid and only slightly behind AP, imo...plus, thats only 5 spots higher than most mock drafts have him

4. Ahman Green and Lynch give you a nice 1-2 punch and then get whatever you need starter wise in the 3rd, 4th, & maybe 5th with some free agents

...good luck to 'em.

1) They did give up 2 2nd rounders, way to much

2)The Green signing and the Dayne re-signing made it pretty obvious that they had given up on getting AP

3)Texans dont need Marshawn,and Landry will probably go to the Vikings or Falcons. They will select Levi Brown, and finally get LT that can keep the QB safe

4) They already have 4 running backs signed on their roster, I doubt they will take a RB this year unless Michael Bush falls to them in the 4th. They need way to many other things to pick up another RB.

And I say good luck to them as well, I secretly root for them.....

mardigan
03-22-2007, 11:59 AM
i think one of the reasons atlanta wanted to switch first round places with houston was that they also want landry and doing this assures them that they, and not houston will get him.

also, if cleveland doen't take peterson, then who else in the top 9 will?

tampa? they have cadillac williams
arizona? they have edgerrin james
washington? they have clinton portis
minnesota? they're taking a wide reciever...period.
miami? they have ronnie brown, sammy morris

houston takes peterson at 10 and team him with green, who is 30 by the way, and you have yourself a nice 1-2 punch right there that will give schaub a chance to make some plays.

If Detroit takes Quinn, Peterson will be a Brown.
Tampa will take Calvin if he is there
Washington will take Branch
Arizona will take Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson
Minnesota will NOT take a reciever here, there isnt another reciever worth taking this high, it will be Landry
If Landry is gone, I could see Atlanta taking Peterson, Dunn is old, and they dont really have a backup, Norwood isnt a every down back
Miami wont take a RB either, Thomas if he is there, if not than Adams or Anderson, whichever is there
Then Houston, which even if Peterson is there (which he could be) I still dont think they would take. I am convinced they will take Levi
I think Adrian will end up with Buffalo, I think they will trade up if he gets past the Browns to get him, maybe to the Skins spot which they have been shopping

samikeyp
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
If Schaub turns out to be as good as a lot of people say he will....it will be another case of the ATL letting go of a backup QB just to have him find success elsewhere. Where have we seen this before? Hmmm......:)

(and no, I am not saying Schaub is or will ever be as good as the afore-referenced player.)

shyne
03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah they gave up two 2nds but one of those got the schuab.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah they gave up two 2nds but one of those got the schuab.
One of those and switching 2 picks in the 1st, way too much, especially because they probably wont ge higher than a 5th for Carr

mardigan
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Texans | Schaub signs
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:22:51 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have signed restricted free-agent QB Matt Schaub to a six-year contract worth $48 million with $7 million guaranteed. Schaub will receive $20 million in the first three years. If Schaub stays with the team the last three years of the contract, the Texans will have to pay Schaub a $10 million option bonus in 2010. The Texans paid QB David Carr an $8 million option in 2006 to keep him for the last three years of his contract.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Texans | Carr to be traded
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:52:49 -0700

ESPNews reports Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith said that QB David Carr will be traded as soon as Thursday, March 22.

shyne
03-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Switching two picks in the first isn't really a big deal cause i'm more than sure that the guy they are targeting will be there at 10.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Switching two picks in the first isn't really a big deal cause i'm more than sure that the guy they are targeting will be there at 10.
I am too, but the 2 2nds are a hefty price for a backup qb

degenerate_gambler
03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I am too, but the 2 2nds are a hefty price for a backup qb

exactly...the 1st rounders get the headlines and the money but the 2nd rounders are the ones that play 10-11 solid years and help form the foundation of a team.

i know i'm generalizing...but overall i believe that's the way it shakes out..

mardigan
03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
exactly...the 1st rounders get the headlines and the money but the 2nd rounders are the ones that play 10-11 solid years and help form the foundation of a team.

i know i'm generalizing...but overall i believe that's the way it shakes out..
Well, especially because their pick this year was the 39th I believe, which is pretty much a 1st, and if they have another bad year next year, it could be around the same as well. The Falcons really put it to them

degenerate_gambler
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Well, especially because their pick this year was the 39th I believe, which is pretty much a 1st, and if they have another bad year next year, it could be around the same as well. The Falcons really put it to them

makes me wonder if houston was just dumb or that desparate.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
makes me wonder if houston was just dumb or that desparate.
Probably desperate, but I found this small article

Three coaches Gary Kubiak likes and respects -- Alex Gibbs, Bill Musgrave and Al Groh -- helped convince the Texans' second-year coach that Atlanta backup quarterback Matt Schaub was worth pursuing.
-- Houston Chronicle

Dont know if that would be enough for me, but I guess we will see how it turns out. Personally I think he is going to be really good, but its a huge risk

mardigan
03-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Texans introduce QB Schaub after trade

NFL.com wire reports

HOUSTON (March 22, 2007) -- The Houston Texans introduced quarterback Matt Schaub at a news conference, saying he will replace David Carr as the team's starter.

The Texans acquired Schaub, a restricted free agent, in a trade with Atlanta. The teams also swapped first-round picks in the upcoming draft -- the Falcons now have the eighth pick and the Texans dropped to No. 10. Atlanta also received second-round picks in the next two drafts.

"This is another exciting moment in the history of the Texans," said owner Bob McNair, flanked at a podium by Schaub, coach Gary Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith. "Winning is all about getting better every day and that's what we're trying to do."

Smith said the Texans are trying to trade Carr, the starter since the franchise's inception. Carr completed 60 percent of his passes in five seasons, but also threw 65 interceptions and was sacked 249 times.

"We're working with his representatives and David to find a place for him to continue his NFL career," Smith said. "Matt is our starting quarterback. We're trying to help David find another place. We're trying to trade him today, maybe the next couple of days."

A message was left seeking comment from Mike Sullivan, Carr's agent.

Schaub, who turns 26 in June, has backed up Michael Vick in Atlanta for the past three seasons. He's started only two games and threw only 27 passes in 2006.

Schaub said he was sold on the Texans during a round of golf he played with Kubiak.

"The thing he told me was he was going to do what it takes to be successful, as an offensive team, especially," Schaub said. "It's just an incredible opportunity for me to take the next step in my career, leading a team and running the huddle."

Schaub acknowledged that his lack of experience is a weakness he'll have to overcome.

"There are going to be a lot more things as the starter that you have to do and handle on a day-to-day basis, as opposed to being the backup," Schaub said. "It's just a matter of knowing that going in and meeting it head-on."

Schaub was a restricted free agent before the deal. The Texans confirmed he has signed a new contract but did not release the terms.

Schaub entered the league through the same draft as Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers and J.P. Losman. Kubiak said the Texans grabbed Schaub just as he's starting to blossom.

"We wanted a player who's ready to go into his prime and that's what this young man is," Kubiak said. "This guy is ready for his opportunity to run a football team. We're catching him at the perfect time. We could walk across that field today and take us out of the huddle."

Carr, who turns 28 in July, was the Texans' first-ever draft pick in 2002. The Texans expected Carr to flourish this season under Kubiak, an offensive guru, but Carr disappointed, finishing with more interceptions (12) than TDs (11) for the first time since 2003.

The Texans have never had a winning record, finishing 6-10 in 2006.

McNair said he had a cordial conversation with Carr.

"We have to be objective -- it's all about winning games," McNair said. "When he have the opportunity to get better, we have to do that. David understands that."

Carr has two years left on his contract that will pay him about $11.5 million over the next two seasons.

"We're hopeful he will continue his NFL career and be successful," Smith said of Carr.

Before landing Schaub, Houston tried to sign Jeff Garcia and Patrick Ramsey before the two joined other teams. The Texans also reportedly were pursuing Jake Plummer, who retired.

The Falcons took Schaub in the third round of the 2004 draft. The 6-foot-5 Schaub set school records at Virginia for pass completions (716), passing yards (7,502) and touchdown throws (56).

"This player is what an NFL quarterback should be," Smith said. "He's a leader. He's a strong, smart accurate passer. As we looked at the market and assessed how to get better at the position, we entertained a lot of ideas.

"At the end of the day, the acquisition we've made today is perfect for us."

Carr had similarly glowing numbers at Fresno State when the Texans chose him with the first pick in 2002. Carr has tossed 23 interceptions and been sacked 109 times over the past two seasons, and the Texans have gone 8-24.

Houston also has quarterbacks Sage Rosenfels, Bradlee Van Pelt and Quinton Porter on its roster.

RonMexico
03-22-2007, 04:38 PM
I gave him herpes in Atlanta - enjoy it, Houston...

mardigan
03-22-2007, 04:38 PM
:lol

Im sure Houston has its fair share of the herps already

samikeyp
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM

:lmao

NBA Junkie
03-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Scott Mitchell all over again.

Extra Stout
03-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Schaub needs to be a Pro Bowl QB for this trade to yield equal value.

mardigan
03-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Schaub needs to be a Pro Bowl QB for this trade to yield equal value.
I dont think that, its hard to be a pro bowl qb in the AFC, as long as he is productive, keeps his ints and fumbles down, and doesnt get sacked 50 times a season, this trade will be worth it. Now can he do all those things? Who knows

mardigan
03-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Here is another way to look at the trade

(March 22, 2007) -- Back when the Falcons first thought about trading Matt Schaub, they determined his value to be the middle of the first round. Atlanta believed the young quarterback was worth a mid-first-round pick, which happens to be a little over 1,000 points on the trade value chart.

Any combination of those points was going to be enough to pull the trigger on a trade. Anything less than that would probably mean Schaub staying in Atlanta as an insurance policy for Michael Vick.

A team slotted at 15 or 16 in the first round had the right compensation. A team in the top 10 could trade down with someone and then make a deal with Atlanta. But in the end, another creative way of arriving at the proper compensation was worked out between the two clubs.

Here's a look at the deal:

Atlanta's No. 10 pick is worth 1,300 points.
Houston's No. 8 pick is worth: 1,400 points.
The teams swap picks and it nets the Falcons 100 points.

The Falcons receive the Texans' 2007 second-round pick (No. 39) worth 510 points. Now the Falcons have 610 points.

The Falcons pick up the Texans' 2008 second-round pick. No one knows where that pick will wind up, so for now the only way to look at is the middle of the round. No. 48 is worth 420 points.

The Falcons acquire a total of 1,030 points on the trade value chart, splitting the difference between the value of Nos. 15 and 16 in the first round. The Falcons got what they were looking for and the Texans still have a top-10 pick in this draft and a first-round pick in the 2008 draft.

03-23-2007, 01:30 PM
I thought I remember hearing they value future picks like this:

A 2008 1st rounder = 2007 2nd rounder

2008 2nd rounder = 2007 3rd rounder

And on and on...

mardigan
03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
I thought I remember hearing they value future picks like this:

A 2008 1st rounder = 2007 2nd rounder

2008 2nd rounder = 2007 3rd rounder

And on and on...
Here is a link to draft pick value

http://nfl.com/draft/story/9341444

degenerate_gambler
03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Outside of Matt Millen, The Houston Texans are the biggest joke in pro football.

It would be hard to argue with your statement if Al Davis weren't still around.

03-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Here is a link to draft pick value

http://nfl.com/draft/story/9341444

I know that value chart well.

I'm talking about future picks and the value teams hold for them this year.

mardigan
03-23-2007, 01:40 PM
I know that value chart well.

I'm talking about future picks and the value teams hold for them this year.
Well alright then. I would guess that it would vary from team to team.

Pugglekicker_21
03-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Midge and Shyne both talked about how the Texans line is better than most people think. I'd be inclined to agree, and Carr is at fault for some of those sacks. But trading a 2nd rounder now, one from next year, and swapping 1st rounders this year is too much I think for a guy who is a real enigma as a starter. All we have to project his performance on is his play at Virginia, and the 2 starts he made. I guess he'll be good, (for the texans' sake I hope so) but I'd retool that O line from the beginning. Ahman Green is not the ansewer at RB. The secondary sucks majorly.

The D line is headed by Mario, who I think will end up being as good as, or maybe greater than, the Panthers' Julius Peppers. But they are appalling at stopping the run. Need a big run stuffer. Branch? Need a WR to complement Andre. Why'd they release Moulds? Age? Thought he could still play. Need TE, but thats not a pressing need. Like i said, O line needs major fixup, even if its better than people think. LB's are a need. But DeMeco will be better than Urlacher, methinks. I remember in 04' they traded their 2nd and third rounder to the Titans for thier 1st rounder for a kid from Western Michigan named Babin. ??? What the hell happened to him? Thats what I likened this trade to. The Texans' managemnt system is absolute shit. Well no. They have made some alright hoices, but as long as they continue to leave the O line alone, his team wont sniff playoff fever for a long time.

I am a closet Texans fan in a way. But their FO is not to my liking.

Pugglekicker_21
03-24-2007, 01:08 AM
in that video, I saw the Raiders had like the 30th ranked D against the Pass. Shows how much they've improved in that area. I think they were 3rd this year.

johngateswhiteley
03-24-2007, 03:39 AM
how come there isn't more talk on how much money he got? ...thats a lot of jack, way too much.

leemajors
03-24-2007, 08:24 AM
how come there isn't more talk on how much money he got? ...thats a lot of jack, way too much.

yup yup. that's why i agree with the scott mitchell take.

RonMexico
03-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Houston 2007: Hey, let's trade for a less-mobile version of David Carr and then shower him with tons of guaranteed money.

Houston 2007: Hey, we're in desperate need of wide receivers to help our QB out there - let's cut Eric Moulds even though he saves us no cap money.

Houston 2006: Hey, let's draft Mario Williams and give him a massive contract.

Houston 2002: Hey, lets start up a new franchise down here and draft this guy out of Fresno State #1.

Anyways, the damn sports radio guys are falling in love with Matt Schaub down here - they're saying the Texas practically gave up nothing, because "none of you can name me a 2nd round pick that's amounted to anything recently." I tried to call in and say that Anquan Boldin was a 2nd round pick, but the lines were busy.

I think the Texans gave up at least one 2nd round pick too many and this trade is pretty much the equivalent of a cat's game in Tic-Tac-Toe. I don't know how to respect people on the radio who say Matt Schaub could have been the "best QB in the ACC his final two years." I guess I forgot what a football powerhouse the ACC is... at least one guy said it best, "So, we get another 6-5 quarterback with limited experience and put him behind the same crappy line with no targets to throw to? Way to go Kubiak, let's make Ron Dayne our starting RB too."

johnsmith
03-24-2007, 10:23 AM
in that video, I saw the Raiders had like the 30th ranked D against the Pass. Shows how much they've improved in that area. I think they were 3rd this year.

That's because no one had to pass against them, because they were always losing.

AFBlue
03-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Looks like Houston couldn't get a sniff for Carr either. They had to cut him today....

Sad.

DNS Error
03-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Anyways, the damn sports radio guys are falling in love with Matt Schaub down here - they're saying the Texas practically gave up nothing, because "none of you can name me a 2nd round pick that's amounted to anything recently." I tried to call in and say that Anquan Boldin was a 2nd round pick, but the lines were busy.

They must have been under a fucking rock or something.....DeMeco Ryans was their own 2nd rounder and he won fucking DROY.... dumbasses

mardigan
03-24-2007, 03:49 PM

They must have been under a fucking rock or something.....DeMeco Ryans was their own 2nd rounder and he won fucking DROY.... dumbasses
Yea thats pretty retarded, 2nds pan out almost as much if not more than 1sts sometimes, especially because they dont have as much pressure on them as 1sts

T Park
03-24-2007, 11:18 PM
2nds are just firsts that fall, due to some teams needs.

Typical myopia from stupid Texan analysts in Houston.

After the month I spent there Im convinced that team and city is fucked for years to come.

johnsmith
03-25-2007, 07:11 AM
2nds are just firsts that fall, due to some teams needs

:lol :lol

What profound thinking.