PDA

View Full Version : Random Question

angel_luv
03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
So, I came home from work and my landlady took me out the the laundry room where the washer had moved about a foot from the dryer all the way against the nearby wall.

She said it is because the load I washed was unbalanced. I had one regular towel, one hand towel, exercise shirts and shorts, and a few pair of socks.
According to her the towel through it all off and that is what made the washing machine bounce ( or whatever) over against the wall.

Is that possible/ normal?

I find it hard to believe that one towel would make that much difference in a properly working washer, but what do I know?

angel love
03-21-2007, 09:57 PM
The towels I use are huge, maybe that was your problem too?

midgetonadonkey
03-21-2007, 09:57 PM
She is trying to screw you. A towel wouldn't make that much of a difference. I wouldn't trust her.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Are you the only one to wash there?

If not, just smile and nod and forget it ever happened.

angel_luv
03-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Well it is her washer. I usually only do a few loads a week since it is just me.

I apologized about tonight. It was just bugging me because I don't think one regular sized towel- just a bath towel would cause the washer to do that.

She said it was because I only washed one towel- as if you can't ever wash just one towel.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Well it is her washer. I usually only do a few loads a week since it is just me.

I apologized about tonight. It was just bugging me because I don't think one regular sized towel- just a bath towel would cause the washer to do that.

She said it was because I only washed one towel- as if you can't ever wash just one towel.

It might just be something on her washer's end because there usually has to be heavier loads for it to go off-balance by itself, but since it's hers and you're the only one that uses it, well, wash two towels to make her happy.

If it screws up again, well, that's on her.

angel_luv
03-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Good advice- will do.

Thanks for settling my curiousity. :)

Oh and I am not the only one who uses it. I meant I only do a few loads since I just wash my stuff.

THE ONE AND ONLY
03-21-2007, 10:25 PM
One water logged beach towel can shake a washer. Next time climb on and go for a ride.

You did the right thing though. Smile, apologize and then talk shit about her online.
Seriously not Sarcastically

angel_luv
03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
LOL Only

I just wanted a second opinion to compare to mine. :angel

tlongII
03-21-2007, 10:31 PM
It is possible. If the large towel wrapped around the other items somehow after the washing started it could unbalance the load. A washer will hop all over the place when it has an unbalanced load.

angel_luv
03-21-2007, 10:35 PM
It is possible. If the large towel wrapped around the other items somehow after the washing started it could unbalance the load. A washer will hop all over the place when it has an unbalanced load.

Well now I feel sheepish. :lol

ashbeeigh
03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
That happens all the time at our house. We have an ancient washer and even if we put the clothes in the washer unevenly it won't even start. If it does start it'll start being really obnxious and bounce all over the place.

angel_luv
03-21-2007, 10:51 PM
My friend and I are really hoping to move into an apartment together soon. She is about to graduate and we've both been wanting our own place.

I am grateful for the renting situation I have now- I live in a safe neighborhood and the price fits my budget.
However, I am tired of only having one ( small) room that is mine. As soon as I can upgrade out, I plan to.

jaespur21
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
sorry but i think she was right. plus when i put a small load my washer shakes a lot

angel_luv
03-21-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't mind if she was right... it was just a strange concept to me as I have frequently washed such loads and never remember having that result.

Kori Ellis
03-21-2007, 11:21 PM
I don't mind if she was right... it was just a strange concept to me as I have frequently washed such loads and never remember having that result.

When you put just a few clothes in, they can all end up on the same side (especially if they get wrapped in a heavy towel) and make it unbalanced. Then the washer will start walking away.

It will also happen if you put just one item in thats heavy. Like a rug or a blanket.

angel_luv
03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
:lol How does everybody but me know this?

jaespur21
03-21-2007, 11:46 PM
i know cuz my moms made me start washing my clothes by 12

ashbeeigh
03-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Then the washer will start walking away.

That just made me lol, like fridges running.

SequSpur
03-21-2007, 11:54 PM
wtf? an unbalanced load? Shit... I just throw shit in there, throw some powder and shit and turn the mofo on..

If that bitch is moving, it's because its a shitty washer or the floor is slippery...

I ain't never heard of that shit moving, that's weird.

slayermin
03-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Sounds like a crappy washing machine if you ask me.

Fillmoe
03-22-2007, 01:47 AM
tell the bitch to spend some money and get a washer that was made in this decade

mrsmaalox
03-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Sounds like a crappy washing machine if you ask me.
Yea. So what was the problem? Was the wall damaged? Was the floor scratched? Does that damage the washer in some way? I would think it would have to be some pretty heavy, unbalanced loads done very frequently to cause any damage. But you did the right thing; just keep being gracious until you can get the hell outta there.

angel_luv
03-22-2007, 09:34 AM
There was nothing damaged so far as I can tell- certainly not the wall. And the washer should still work fine right?

My landlady is very nice for the most part. I really wasn't meaning to complain about her. I have just been a little restless about my life lately so I am more sensitive about everything.
And it is likely it is time or almost time for a change and this is all just part of it.

One "struggle" I always have had with living her is that my landlady is elderly and likes things just so.
For example, I have never felt like I can get cozy on her couch because she is very particular about the cover being perfectly straight.
Things like that- nothing major but it makes you feel less at home.

As for what happened with the washer- that was a serious big deal. She didn't just tell me, Hey you need to wash bigger loads" , she took me out to the laundry room, showed me the machine etc and to me, over explained things.

I mean, if the same thing had happened with a room mate my age, we would have a good laugh about the psyco washing machine and just been more careful the next time.

I don't know. I am a little nervous to branch out on my own but I am beginning to think I really need that space to grow.

Shelly
03-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Any time I wash towels with something other than towels, it will throw the washer of balance.

j-6
03-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Living with a fussy old lady doesn't sound like much fun. Have you looked at craigslist in the "rooms and shared" section? A guy I work with just got a great deal and has three great roommates in a huge house with a pool and gameroom.

Melmart1
03-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Living with a fussy old lady doesn't sound like much fun. Have you looked at craigslist in the "rooms and shared" section? A guy I work with just got a great deal and has three great roommates in a huge house with a pool and gameroom.
:tu That is how I found my roommates. I don't have a pool and gameroom but I love this house and my roomies are cool, we get along great. You can find some VERY affordable arrangements, you might be surprised.

As for the washing machine--I have no clue how balanced or unbalanced a machine is when I put a load in, I have never ever had issues with a hopping machine. Sounds like bs to me, but only cus it's never happened to me, I guess.

ShoogarBear
03-22-2007, 09:57 AM
I had one regular towel, one hand towel, exercise shirts and shorts, and a few pair of socks.Hmm, you sure it wasn't something else of yours that might have throw the balance off?

tlongII
03-22-2007, 10:03 AM
I live on a farm.

jman3000
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
i think if you put a lot of clothes in... or maybe just 1 piece in the wrong place... it makes the spinning dealy in the middle not spin... causing it to start jumping around because of the force from not being able to rotate. used to happen when i put too many jeans in.

mrsmaalox
03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
There was nothing damaged so far as I can tell- certainly not the wall. And the washer should still work fine right?

My landlady is very nice for the most part. I really wasn't meaning to complain about her. I have just been a little restless about my life lately so I am more sensitive about everything.
And it is likely it is time or almost time for a change and this is all just part of it.

One "struggle" I always have had with living her is that my landlady is elderly and likes things just so.
For example, I have never felt like I can get cozy on her couch because she is very particular about the cover being perfectly straight.
Things like that- nothing major but it makes you feel less at home.

As for what happened with the washer- that was a serious big deal. She didn't just tell me, Hey you need to wash bigger loads" , she took me out to the laundry room, showed me the machine etc and to me, over explained things.

I mean, if the same thing had happened with a room mate my age, we would have a good laugh about the psyco washing machine and just been more careful the next time.

I don't know. I am a little nervous to branch out on my own but I am beginning to think I really need that space to grow.
I know what you mean. We lived with my mother in law for 2 years when we first got married. We were able to save up a really nice down payment on our first house, but it wasn't easy. She always told me to make myself at home, but then if I changed something,she'd change it back. I never felt comfortable just leaving the dinner dishes for later, or leaving a load in the dryer if I didn't want to deal with it right then. She was a very nice lady, but I just couldn't appreciate it until we moved out!

CrazyOne
03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
When you put just a few clothes in, they can all end up on the same side (especially if they get wrapped in a heavy towel) and make it unbalanced. Then the washer will start walking away.

It will also happen if you put just one item in thats heavy. Like a rug or a blanket.

Or a cat.

SpursWoman
03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
You did the right thing though. Smile, apologize and then talk shit about her online.

:lol :rollin

angel_luv
05-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Speaking of things being out or order and acting crazy, I feel like I've been extremely grumpy and sarcastic lately. :oops

Sorry ya'll- have had a lot of things change on me all at once and am not handling any of the above very well.

I think I would have even yelled at Sho these past few weeks, if that tells you anythng. :oops :(