PDA

View Full Version : Duncan pounds Pacers:

THE SIXTH MAN
03-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032207.01D.BKNspurs.pacers.gamer.3cdfed5.html)
Duncan pounds Pacers: Spurs stop two-game slide with big second quarter

Web Posted: 03/22/2007 12:15 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Two days of practice and another day of rest seemed to have done the Spurs little good. By the time Wednesday's first quarter ended, they looked much like they did four nights earlier.
They lacked edge, they couldn't generate any consistent scoring, and Indiana was overpowering them on the boards. Their first losing streak in more than a month seemed capable of extending another night.

And then Tim Duncan returned to the court. Five bank shots later, the Spurs were on their way to a 90-72 victory.

"Whether you play with Tim or against Tim," Brent Barry said, "you know when he starts making that shot, his game is starting to get back on track."

As a result, so did the Spurs. With Duncan scoring 27 points and Francisco Elson adding a season-high 14, they trampled the Pacers for their first victory in three games.

Sluggish to start, the Spurs extended their defense by pressuring Indiana in the backcourt. With starting point guard Jamaal Tinsley ejected late in the first half, the Pacers withered in the third quarter.

Indiana shot 35.4 percent, and its 72 points were the second-fewest the Spurs have allowed this season.

"The first quarter, we just didn't have any energy," said Duncan, who made 11 of 16 shots and grabbed seven rebounds. "We just weren't reacting. I thought we were kind of letting things happen.

"The second and third quarter, I thought we did a much better job of pushing the tempo ... and getting a little energy to get the game going in our direction."

Indiana, meanwhile, continued its slide down the Eastern Conference standings, trying to stay in playoff contention while also coping with a wave of injuries.

Jermaine O'Neal initially wasn't expected to play after hyperextending his already sore left knee during Tuesday's loss in Houston. O'Neal was able to start before foul trouble forced him to the bench for the final 7 minutes, 55 seconds of the first half.

Though he returned to start the third quarter, he continued to favor his leg.

"My explosion is just zapped," said O'Neal, who finished with 10 points and six turnovers while missing 10 of 15 shots. "I'm not at a level that I need to be at to help this team right now."

O'Neal at least was able to stay and watch; Tinsley decided to spend the rest of the evening in the locker room.

After Tony Parker threw away a pass, triggering a break for the Pacers, Tinsley drove into Duncan on the right wing and was called for a charge.

Duncan later joked it was just the second charge he'd taken in his career. Tinsley thought it was one too many: He chucked the ball into the stands, then barely waited to be ejected before turning and walking off the court.

Tinsley "is one of our leaders, and he is too important to our team to have that happen," Indiana coach Rick Carlisle said. "And it happened at a time when San Antonio was showing some frustration and coming at us so hard."

Duncan applied much of that force.

After a pair of free throws from Ike Diogu put the Pacers ahead 26-17 with 10:15 left in the first half, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich put Duncan back on the floor. Duncan quickly drew a foul on Troy Murphy as he made a short bank shot. He followed with a 7-foot bank while spinning by Diogu, then made another lunging attempt off the glass, this time drawing a foul on Jeff Foster.

The Spurs scored 11 unanswered points with Duncan accounting for all but one of them. The next time down the floor, he banked in a 13-footer for good measure.

"It was that kind of game where everything was dead, and I had an opportunity to be a little aggressive, to see if some shots would go down," Duncan said. "One went down, two went down, and I just kind of played it from there."

While the bank shot has long been Duncan's signature method of attack, he rarely attempted it last season as his confidence dropped.

Over the past month, he has shot it with increasing frequency, slowly regaining confidence with each one that goes in.

"Sometimes, with all the responsibilities he has to run everything, you can get kind of cluttered (in the head) and forget some of your weapons," Bruce Bowen said. "But he was in control of everything tonight."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Voice of Truth
03-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032207.01D.BKNspurs.pacers.gamer.3cdfed5.html)
Duncan pounds Pacers: Spurs stop two-game slide with big second quarter

Web Posted: 03/22/2007 12:15 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Two days of practice and another day of rest seemed to have done the Spurs little good. By the time Wednesday's first quarter ended, they looked much like they did four nights earlier.
They lacked edge, they couldn't generate any consistent scoring, and Indiana was overpowering them on the boards. Their first losing streak in more than a month seemed capable of extending another night.

And then Tim Duncan returned to the court. Five bank shots later, the Spurs were on their way to a 90-72 victory.

"Whether you play with Tim or against Tim," Brent Barry said, "you know when he starts making that shot, his game is starting to get back on track."

As a result, so did the Spurs. With Duncan scoring 27 points and Francisco Elson adding a season-high 14, they trampled the Pacers for their first victory in three games.

Sluggish to start, the Spurs extended their defense by pressuring Indiana in the backcourt. With starting point guard Jamaal Tinsley ejected late in the first half, the Pacers withered in the third quarter.

Indiana shot 35.4 percent, and its 72 points were the second-fewest the Spurs have allowed this season.

"The first quarter, we just didn't have any energy," said Duncan, who made 11 of 16 shots and grabbed seven rebounds. "We just weren't reacting. I thought we were kind of letting things happen.

"The second and third quarter, I thought we did a much better job of pushing the tempo ... and getting a little energy to get the game going in our direction."

Indiana, meanwhile, continued its slide down the Eastern Conference standings, trying to stay in playoff contention while also coping with a wave of injuries.

Jermaine O'Neal initially wasn't expected to play after hyperextending his already sore left knee during Tuesday's loss in Houston. O'Neal was able to start before foul trouble forced him to the bench for the final 7 minutes, 55 seconds of the first half.

Though he returned to start the third quarter, he continued to favor his leg.

"My explosion is just zapped," said O'Neal, who finished with 10 points and six turnovers while missing 10 of 15 shots. "I'm not at a level that I need to be at to help this team right now."

O'Neal at least was able to stay and watch; Tinsley decided to spend the rest of the evening in the locker room.

After Tony Parker threw away a pass, triggering a break for the Pacers, Tinsley drove into Duncan on the right wing and was called for a charge.

Duncan later joked it was just the second charge he'd taken in his career. Tinsley thought it was one too many: He chucked the ball into the stands, then barely waited to be ejected before turning and walking off the court.

Tinsley "is one of our leaders, and he is too important to our team to have that happen," Indiana coach Rick Carlisle said. "And it happened at a time when San Antonio was showing some frustration and coming at us so hard."

Duncan applied much of that force.

After a pair of free throws from Ike Diogu put the Pacers ahead 26-17 with 10:15 left in the first half, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich put Duncan back on the floor. Duncan quickly drew a foul on Troy Murphy as he made a short bank shot. He followed with a 7-foot bank while spinning by Diogu, then made another lunging attempt off the glass, this time drawing a foul on Jeff Foster.

The Spurs scored 11 unanswered points with Duncan accounting for all but one of them. The next time down the floor, he banked in a 13-footer for good measure.

"It was that kind of game where everything was dead, and I had an opportunity to be a little aggressive, to see if some shots would go down," Duncan said. "One went down, two went down, and I just kind of played it from there."

While the bank shot has long been Duncan's signature method of attack, he rarely attempted it last season as his confidence dropped.

Over the past month, he has shot it with increasing frequency, slowly regaining confidence with each one that goes in.

"Sometimes, with all the responsibilities he has to run everything, you can get kind of cluttered (in the head) and forget some of your weapons," Bruce Bowen said. "But he was in control of everything tonight."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

:sleep :sleep

milkyway21
03-22-2007, 03:23 AM
"I thought Timmy was very focused tonight," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He was very aggressive with the ball. He wasn't looking for other people and worrying about getting other people involved. He just was demonstrative offensively." is this the new game plan? :lol

okay we made the playoffs by beating Indiana. But the Spurs next assignment is Detroit.

Tough.

bdictjames
03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Anybody notice that when Duncan or Manu take over a game we most likely win? When Parker takes over, there's a possibility we lose. I just hope Parker's play becomes better in the playoffs.

mFFL03
03-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Hmm...things I like to hear about the spurs....Mavs are struggling in the first half as well, pick it up in the second half......

san antonio spurs
03-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Anybody notice that when Duncan or Manu take over a game we most likely win? When Parker takes over, there's a possibility we lose. I just hope Parker's play becomes better in the playoffs.
u've got to be kidding me
________
Laguna Bay II Condos (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

team-work
03-22-2007, 11:25 AM

The "energy" thing is a strange thing. Every game you come out eagering to win, but the "energy" is not always with you. For the Spurs, provided they don't forget to bring it out, every opponent can be in trouble.

stretch
03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
just as a heads up...

better be careful if you say anything remotely negative about Parker. Spursreport will have a fucking orgasm if he sees anything negative about any Spurs player. if you talk enough crap about the spurs, he may actually beat himself up just to vent out his frustrations.

bdictjames
03-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Im just saying we need consistency from Parker in the playoffs. He needs to turn up that notch like Duncan and Manu do if we want to regain that title.

ducks
03-22-2007, 12:05 PM
dude tp plays well in playoffs when healthy
heck he was a finals mvp after three against against the nets
tell the nets game plan was to stop tp then he had a hard time but he has improved since then

ducks
03-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Im just saying we need consistency from Parker in the playoffs. He needs to turn up that notch like Duncan and Manu do if we want to regain that title.

we need consistency from the big three plus one other player to step up each game to win a title

bdictjames
03-22-2007, 12:32 PM
we need consistency from the big three plus one other player to step up each game to win a title
Yup, hopefully that other one would be our starting center/big man next to Duncan, be it Finley/Oberto or Elson.

duncan228
03-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Please bear with me. I need to talk about Duncan for a minute.
His line was incredible. 30 min/27 on 11-16/7/3/2/2 5-8 ft, only 1 to
His game was even better. The fire in his eyes. The energy in his body. His footwork.

No matter how this season plays out, or any season for that matter, I appreciate this man's game. When he plays like he did last night it's a joy to witness. It reminds me of why I watch the Spurs. I see every game, thanks to LP, so I see every team in this league. There's no player I'd rather watch. I appreciate the flash that Kobe or others bring but for me it's Duncan. And last night he let us all see the player he still is. I don't care if it was a team the Spurs are "supposed" to beat. I only care about how he played.

When the media piled shit on him in the 05 finals he rose above it. I know how important Manu was in that series but I believe it was Duncan who willed the game 7 win. Watch the last 6 minutes of the third in that game. The same fire was in his eyes. I agree that he needs a team around him, no one wins this game alone. But I believe it is Duncan who will get us there. His team will rise with him. And it will be a joy to witness.

spursreport
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM
just as a heads up...

better be careful if you say anything remotely negative about Parker. Spursreport will have a fucking orgasm if he sees anything negative about any Spurs player. if you talk enough crap about the spurs, he may actually beat himself up just to vent out his frustrations.

:clap :clap nice to know I am still getting to you in spirit. Having to spew shit about me in this thread where I didnt post at until now is comedy. Your perspective on the bolded section about me is really just a reflection of yourself. You are indirectly talking about yourself here in terms of venting out frusterations which means you once again just contradicted yourself. Hypocrite :donkey

beirmeistr
03-22-2007, 04:44 PM
"He was very aggressive with the ball. He wasn't looking for other people and worrying about getting other people involved"-----Greg Popovich

I hope he was only referring to Duncan.

If it applies to other Spurs, then I'm afraid I've had the wrong impression of Tony Parker. All this time, I've seen him as a little ballhog.

j/k Ducks

stretch
03-25-2007, 11:27 PM
:clap :clap nice to know I am still getting to you in spirit. Having to spew shit about me in this thread where I didnt post at until now is comedy. Your perspective on the bolded section about me is really just a reflection of yourself. You are indirectly talking about yourself here in terms of venting out frusterations which means you once again just contradicted yourself. Hypocrite :donkey
awesome comeback... almost as good as the "i know you are, but what am I?" response.

:dizzy

Viva Las Espuelas
03-25-2007, 11:44 PM
................a la Peter North

T Park
03-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Duncan is really playing some solid to great basketball right now.

His defense around the basket, and that bank shot are circa 03 right now.

Hopefully he can bring this in the playoffs.

Him and Elson are really starting to become a solid tandem inside defensively.

spursreport
03-26-2007, 06:08 AM
awesome comeback... almost as good as the "i know you are, but what am I?" response.

:dizzy

Yeah if you want to label it in those kinds of words. Facts are facts Mr "I am never wrong". You are a hypocritical jackass and you know it! :donkey