03-22-2007, 06:49 AM
The 300 workout, as it was done by the actors:

“300”
25x Pull-ups
50x Deadlift @ 135lbs
50x Push-ups
50x Box Jump @ 24” box
50x Floor Wiper @ 135lbs
50x KB Clean and Press @ 36lbs (KB must touch floor between reps)
25x Pull-ups
300 reps total

here's the video for it.
http://www.buzznet.com/tags/spartanworkout/video/

johngateswhiteley
03-22-2007, 06:56 AM

“300”
25x Pull-ups
50x Deadlift @ 135lbs
50x Push-ups
50x Box Jump @ 24” box
50x Floor Wiper @ 135lbs
25x Pull-ups
300 reps total

where did you get those #'s? also, looks like a good rugby workout.

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2007, 06:58 AM
dunno man, got it from a car forum site....dunno the authenticity of it, but still a good work out none the less.

johngateswhiteley
03-22-2007, 07:40 AM
dunno man, got it from a car forum site....dunno the authenticity of it, but still a good work out none the less.

i did some searching and found the same thing. looks legit...good stuff. great way to end a workout...think i'll try it next time.

CosmicCowboy
03-22-2007, 09:01 AM
I got tired and sore just reading it.

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I got tired and sore just reading it.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3104/tdspaartaaamh7.jpg

desflood
03-22-2007, 10:08 AM
I think it was in last month's issue of either Men's Fitness or Men's Health magazines - don't recall which one, though.

jman3000
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
i think we may have done harder workouts during offseason for football...

this is from our off season training regiment during my junior year of offseason:

Jump Rope 10min
Ladder 10min
Pro Agility x3
Sled 6x50yd (a sled harnassed to your back with about 100 pounds)
Box Jumps x3 (a row of about 8 boxes varying in height... i'm pretty sure the smallest of these was 24")

then for the running

110 yds x 16 < 18 seconds each
40 yd dash x 10 20 second intervals
jog 1 mile.

that's not including any weight lifting that you might want to have done.

those floor wipers sure do look like a bitch though.

tlongII
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Daily doubles before football season are the worst.

jman3000
03-22-2007, 10:31 AM
:depressed

i can still remember tearing off most of the skin on my left hand during bear crawls. it was just kinda hanging there.

tlongII
03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
:depressed

i can still remember tearing off most of the skin on my left hand during bear crawls. it was just kinda hanging there.

I remember having dry heaves in 100 degree weather.

Solid D
03-22-2007, 05:28 PM
It's a nice warmup.

:smokin

scott
03-22-2007, 06:37 PM
March issue of Men's Health. I've been doing a modified version for a few weeks as my warm up. I'm only up to 175 reps though. The floor wipers? Faaaaahgeddaboudit.

Borosai
03-22-2007, 06:44 PM
I need to get off my ass.

jman3000
03-22-2007, 06:50 PM
is a KB clean the same thing as a power clean? that actually doesn't sound that hard to do... especially at 36 pounds... when i was at my strongest i could clean and press close to 200 pounds. they might not be the same thing though.

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2007, 09:19 PM
wtf is a floor wiper and box jump?

floor wiper = wormy on floor or hammer time?

box jump = star jumps?

scott
03-22-2007, 09:42 PM
is a KB clean the same thing as a power clean? that actually doesn't sound that hard to do... especially at 36 pounds... when i was at my strongest i could clean and press close to 200 pounds. they might not be the same thing though.

KB = kettle ball. It's a big ball with a handle, so these are one arm clean and presses. So you are bringing the clean up (mostly forearm) then shoulder pressing up. Try doing it 50 times....

scott
03-22-2007, 09:44 PM
wtf is a floor wiper and box jump?

floor wiper = wormy on floor or hammer time?

box jump = star jumps?

The way Men's Health describes the floor wiper in the March issue is you lay down and press 135 lbs and hold it above your body. Then you bring your legs up and alternate touching the 45 lb plates on each side with your feet. Abs and shoulders galore.

Box jump is just jumping on top of a box.

jman3000
03-23-2007, 03:04 AM
i'm gonna try those floor sweepers tomorrow.... albeit with 95 pounds as oppsed to 135... no need killing myself on the first try.

scott
03-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Men's Health recommends to try starting with just the bar... maybe give that a try.

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2007, 01:45 PM
is this how you do floor whiper?

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/143/3977288f9f29ad3f098434cwr7.gif

03-23-2007, 01:49 PM
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/143/3977288f9f29ad3f098434cwr7.gif

I'll be in my bunk.

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2007, 01:58 PM
after deadlift, clean and press reps, this was the end result

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5520/060712jessicagr4.gif

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-23-2007, 01:59 PM

The Audio Daily Doubles are really where somebody can cash in.

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 12:59 AM

“300”
25x Pull-ups
50x Deadlift @ 135lbs
50x Push-ups
50x Box Jump @ 24” box
50x Floor Wiper @ 135lbs
25x Pull-ups
300 reps total

here's the video for it.
http://www.buzznet.com/tags/spartanworkout/video/

just did the workout...twice. its a bitch and i had to cheat on the pull-ups, i can't do 25 real pull-ups continually. after i came home from rugby practice i rested a bit and then did it, rested a little less than 10 minutes and did it again.

i give it my seal of approval and i think i am going to add it to my workouts. its a good circuit. anyway, some of you should try it.

TDMVPDPOY
03-28-2007, 01:48 AM
just did the workout...twice. its a bitch and i had to cheat on the pull-ups, i can't do 25 real pull-ups continually. after i came home from rugby practice i rested a bit and then did it, rested a little less than 10 minutes and did it again.

i give it my seal of approval and i think i am going to add it to my workouts. its a good circuit. anyway, some of you should try it.

now wtf did americans play a real mans sport RUGBY, non of this bs helmet and pads grid iron....touch footy? :):)

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 02:53 AM
now wtf did americans play a real mans sport RUGBY, non of this bs helmet and pads grid iron....touch footy? :):)

1. i am not sure i understand everything you posted there, but i think i got most of it

2. why don't Americans play rugby?...b/c not many understand or have access to the game. at least not properly

3. touch footy? we play for 15 minutes before each practice before we go into full drills and some contact

ALVAREZ6
03-28-2007, 04:16 PM
We do much tougher shit than that for football.

That 300 workout is good, but it's more of a toning workout than big muscle building.

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 06:08 PM

That 300 workout is good, but it's more of a toning workout than big muscle building.

:lol...actually its for muscle endurance/functional strength and its a very good workout cap or part of a circuit. and football doesn't do anything thats hard, its a quickness sport, those guys wouldn't last 20 minutes on a rugby field.

mardigan
03-28-2007, 06:13 PM

Dude I used to do 2 and 3 a days, yeah its tough, but this workout is for a completely different thing. Like JGW said, its more about endurance and function strength, there would be a lot of NFL players that would have some trouble with this workout

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Dude I used to do 2 and 3 a days, yeah its tough, but this workout is for a completely different thing. Like JGW said, its more about endurance and function strength, there would be a lot of NFL players that would have some trouble with this workout

:tu

ALVAREZ6
03-28-2007, 09:32 PM
True, all the linemen would die with that. All D-backs and running backs could do it. The thing with football is you have all different types of guys...linemen have a much higher body fat than big rugby players (don't know the positions, but the huge dudes with huge quads).

And I guess I really didn't mean toning exactly how most people view toning exercises, but comparing it to power lifting type exercises such as squating and benching with a lot of weight and less reps, it's more of a toning workout, and the 300 actors definitely did get toned from it. And I agree that workout is for functional strength/muscle endurance, but when your trying to achieve muscle endurance it's more on the level of toning than squating and bench pressing...they're doing pushups and pullups. I guess I gave you the wrong idea, I didn't mean toning like some chick going to the gym and curling a 20 lb bar 20 times for 3 sets.

I like the 300 workout a lot more than your typical football workout...that's why I think the football ones we do are harder, simply my opinion though. I hate squating, power cleaning, and benching a lot of weight with very few reps. Because I weigh not too much but am still pretty strong for my weight, I do good in those muscle endurance exercises.

jman3000
03-28-2007, 09:40 PM
football players are conditioned for short spurts of intense physical exertion. rugby players are more conditioned for prolonged levels of moderate activity with a bit of intense action mixed in. i was a forward when i played rugby and there is a lot of downtime to rest... especially when the refs call for a scrum, just take your sweet ass time setting up and you've already caught your breath.

obviously a good comparison would be a hybrid player who has the endurance to play a soccer game, but the strength to play football. just on a bit of a lesser level than both. i'd say a linebacker would be a good comparison too for most rugby players.

ALVAREZ6
03-28-2007, 09:47 PM
and football doesn't do anything thats hard, its a quickness sport, those guys wouldn't last 20 minutes on a rugby field.Well, it goes both ways, completely different trainings.

NorCal510
03-28-2007, 10:00 PM
u have to remember guys, everything is shit compared to alvarez's football workouts

might as well rename the thread "Alvarez football team drill - we are stronger"

tlongII
03-28-2007, 10:04 PM
You guys are ALL a bunch of puny beeyotches anyway!

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 11:02 PM
football players are conditioned for short spurts of intense physical exertion. rugby players are more conditioned for prolonged levels of moderate activity with a bit of intense action mixed in. i was a forward when i played rugby and there is a lot of downtime to rest... especially when the refs call for a scrum, just take your sweet ass time setting up and you've already caught your breath.

obviously a good comparison would be a hybrid player who has the endurance to play a soccer game, but the strength to play football. just on a bit of a lesser level than both. i'd say a linebacker would be a good comparison too for most rugby players.

1) if you are playing rugby the right way, there is not much time to rest
2) if you are playing rugby in a league where the teams know how to play, there is not much time to rest
3) was your team or opponent penalized a lot?...i am thinking so
4) i'd compare a linebacker to many forwards at the international level. around 225-250 lbs on average with the ability to run great distances, although most linebackers in the NFL don't have the cardio to play rugby, except maybe a brian urlacher type
5) most of the rugby players would not have the very high end explosive power that some NFL players do, but they would have high explosive power that they could tap many more times

some rugby vids:

1. Jona Lomu & Joe Rokocoko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHj9mTy0AE&mode=related&search=

2. Christophe Dominici (#11)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XtN_gEQIFs&mode=related&search=

3. Bryan Habana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvb57AjBG1Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sILkUOlDKzU

4. Dan Carter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZYEP5TB6_g

5. Mat Rogers (hit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IufWNJAXeVA

6. Jonny Wilkinson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sida9mqSMh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmfja79uAhs

Pugglekicker_21
03-28-2007, 11:12 PM
JGW, what are you? Your position, I mean.

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 11:15 PM
JGW, what are you? Your position, I mean.

Wing (#11). why?

jman3000
03-28-2007, 11:15 PM
i'm not talking about taking 1 minute to set up the damn scrum... just enough to catch your breath... and there actually are quite a bit of times when you can rest a bit... the pitch in is one + the period when you get tackled and you have to protect the ball.

and i played mostly on highschool teams... i only played on the men's team for 1 year before school and work took it's toll.

NorCal510
03-28-2007, 11:45 PM
any of you guys do gassers?

johngateswhiteley
03-28-2007, 11:47 PM
i'm not talking about taking 1 minute to set up the damn scrum... just enough to catch your breath... and there actually are quite a bit of times when you can rest a bit... the pitch in is one + the period when you get tackled and you have to protect the ball.

and i played mostly on highschool teams... i only played on the men's team for 1 year before school and work took it's toll.

no offense, but i don't know what kind of rugby you are playing. if you are not wiped at the end of each game then you are not playing hard enough. i play wing, and even out there on my island i find myself dragging ass by the end of the game and i am in pretty good shape. course we play a good style running rugby and i am in on many tackles and rucks...not to mention long runs and chess matches. the guys i play with all know the game really well, which keeps it flowing.

jman3000
03-29-2007, 12:00 AM
no offense, but i don't know what kind of rugby you are playing. if you are not wiped at the end of each game then you are not playing hard enough. i play wing, and even out there on my island i find myself dragging ass by the end of the game and i am in pretty good shape. course we play a good style running rugby and i am in on many tackles and rucks...not to mention long runs and chess matches. the guys i play with all know the game really well, which keeps it flowing.

of course i was gassed. my first 2 years playing were with complete newbies. of course we didn't know how to play %100 correctly. my first year with the men was a very hard thing to adjust to. the hits were a lot harder and the injuries were more frequent... i still remember going through more pain in rugby practice then i ever went through playing actual football games. i remember catching a kick after a tri was scored and getting absofuckinglutely hammered by some marine named tiny. fuck that nickname... he wasn't tiny at all.

johngateswhiteley
03-29-2007, 12:14 AM
of course i was gassed. my first 2 years playing were with complete newbies. of course we didn't know how to play %100 correctly. my first year with the men was a very hard thing to adjust to. the hits were a lot harder and the injuries were more frequent... i still remember going through more pain in rugby practice then i ever went through playing actual football games. i remember catching a kick after a tri was scored and getting absofuckinglutely hammered by some marine named tiny. fuck that nickname... he wasn't tiny at all.

ha ha, :tu

TDMVPDPOY
03-29-2007, 02:55 AM
oi johnnie

wat fuckn type of rugby do you play? union or league? since its fuckn different rules.

johngateswhiteley
03-29-2007, 03:08 AM
oi johnnie

wat fuckn type of rugby do you play? union or league? since its fuckn different rules.

union of course. why, whats up?

TDMVPDPOY
03-29-2007, 03:23 AM
union of course. why, whats up?
just asking since i dont play or watch rugby or international matches...

but it seems like union is declining with many of the stars going back to league and the scedule conflict with other sports not attracting fans....

johngateswhiteley
03-29-2007, 03:36 AM
just asking since i dont play or watch rugby or international matches...

but it seems like union is declining with many of the stars going back to league and the scedule conflict with other sports not attracting fans....

huh?

1. the World Cup is Union Rugby
2. Rugby Union is the national sport of New Zealand, Wales, Fiji, Tonga, and Samoa. Rugby League is the national sport of only Papua New Guinea
3. Australia is the only country where League is more popular than Union

...don't know where you heard that, but its wrong.

ALVAREZ6
03-29-2007, 03:56 PM
any of you guys do gassers?Yeah, they're strictly conditioning though.

NorCal510
03-29-2007, 05:19 PM
those are bitches

Pugglekicker_21
03-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Arent they where you sprint across the field nonstop?

And to JGW, I was wondering. I have a channel that shows some rugby, and then something that I thought was a little different, which the Aussie announcers calling it the footy... I was thinking what the hell's the differnce. I was think ing you might know. Wing huh? I'll have to watch some more to figure out which one that is, but man I respect you for going through that shit. I dont blame you for dragging ass. i'd be dragging a lot more, like maybe my leg.

NorCal510
03-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Arent they where you sprint across the field nonstop?

And to JGW, I was wondering. I have a channel that shows some rugby, and then something that I thought was a little different, which the Aussie announcers calling it the footy... I was thinking what the hell's the differnce. I was think ing you might know. Wing huh? I'll have to watch some more to figure out which one that is, but man I respect you for going through that shit. I dont blame you for dragging ass. i'd be dragging a lot more, like maybe my leg.
where u sprint sideline to sideline 4 times (up,back,up,back) under 45 secs and you have to redo it if u dont make it in time. nightmares

ALVAREZ6
03-29-2007, 05:46 PM
where u sprint sideline to sideline 4 times (up,back,up,back) under 45 secs and you have to redo it if u dont make it in time. nightmaresThat part isn't too bad...I don't know whether or not you guys do this but while one half of the team is sprinting, the other half is off to the side doing push-ups. It just continues in that alternating pattern, no rest time between shifts...shit sucks.

NorCal510
03-29-2007, 05:52 PM
haha we got rest

i bet our team would have beat yours tho, alvarez

johngateswhiteley
03-29-2007, 06:02 PM
And to JGW, I was wondering. I have a channel that shows some rugby, and then something that I thought was a little different, which the Aussie announcers calling it the footy... I was thinking what the hell's the differnce. I was think ing you might know.

well, footy is probably referring to Australian Rules Football or Soccer. if you have never seen Rugby or Aussie Rules...i suppose they could look similar or confusing.

do you think it was Aussie Rules?

Fillmoe
03-29-2007, 06:02 PM
id like to workout them spartan sluts

leemajors
03-29-2007, 08:41 PM
honestly, more butch lesbians play rugby than anyone else in the US now. granted, my sample size to base this off of is the fields behind my backyard, where 4 teams of butch girls are practicing...

scott
03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
I'll pass on the cauliflower eared bitches

johngateswhiteley
03-30-2007, 02:15 AM
honestly, more butch lesbians play rugby than anyone else in the US now. granted, my sample size to base this off of is the fields behind my backyard, where 4 teams of butch girls are practicing...

huh? everywhere i have been there is like 1 women's team to 4 men's teams.

jman3000
03-30-2007, 01:37 PM
the SARFC down here had some hot girls iirc. there was 1 girl on the ladies team who was the daughter of one of the main guys on the men's team... she was bad ass and hot as hell.

Duncan21
03-30-2007, 02:30 PM
1. Jona Lomu & Joe Rokocoko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHj9mTy0AE&mode=related&search=

4. Dan Carter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZYEP5TB6_g

:tu

ALVAREZ6
03-30-2007, 03:53 PM
honestly, more butch lesbians play rugby than anyone else in the US now. granted, my sample size to base this off of is the fields behind my backyard, where 4 teams of butch girls are practicing...haha

One of my football coaches is married to a USA Women's Rugby player. She probably dominates him in bed.

Pugglekicker_21
03-30-2007, 05:17 PM
well, footy is probably referring to Australian Rules Football or Soccer. if you have never seen Rugby or Aussie Rules...i suppose they could look similar or confusing.

do you think it was Aussie Rules?

Thats what they called it.