PDA

View Full Version : “No Substitute for Victory” : The Defeat of Islamic Totalitarianism

01Snake
03-22-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/issues/2006-winter/no-substitute-for-victory.asp

This a GREAT read. I know it's long and some on here (including me) have a short attention span but its worth the time.

Extra Stout
03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
That article was full of shit.

nkdlunch
03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
so we have only 2 options? to kill them or to kill them softly? :lol

what a bunch of bullshit!

ChumpDumper
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for coming up with this idea five years too late, dumbass.

101A
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
It is inevitable that the US WILL go to war with Islamic states; as long as those states breed hatred toward us. That hatred WILL lead to additional strikes against us; .

The qeustion is, when will that be? Will it be while we still have a strategic advantage, or will it be after their (imperialistic, after all) influence has spread and modernized militarily?

Ultimately what the author espouses is a pre-emptive strike while we hold ALL the military cards. Bush and Co., however, have made launching any more preemptive strikes pretty much impossible.

I would suggest, however, that our enemies have learned something. It is not Bush's policies that have kept attacks on US soil non-existent for the past 5+ years; it is our enemy's understanding that attacking on THIS soil demands retaliation - and regimes get overthrown (they underestimated this last time, IMO). They will attack again, but not until they are READY for the response, and reasonably confident of victory (could be decades, but they are patient).

ChumpDumper
03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
We could even reverse a tremendous injustice by un-nationalizing the oil companies in Iran—stolen from their owners in 1951—and placing them back into private hands, under government protection.Since he's so long-winded, I have to conclude the author simply chose to lie by omitting the fact that the US did exactly this a mere three years after the nationalization. The US chose to overthrow the government of Iran then, even though that government seemed to be losing much of its popular support in the face of international sanctions, and the Iranian government of the autocratic Shah did indeed protect the foreign ownership of the oil companies for the next 25 years. This guy -- a history professor? -- forgot this little tidbit as well as the rest of the US apparently. The people of Iran sure didn't, unfortunately.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-22-2007, 02:49 PM
What do you guys think about the Phoenix connection with islamists?