PDA

View Full Version : what do Spurs fans think of P.J.?

phyzik
03-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Just curious, what do people think of PJ when he has been forced to take over for Pop when he gets ejected.

How do you think this team would run with PJ as head coach?

This is not a "Bash Pop" thread, just curious to see what people think of PJ.

mardigan
03-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I love PJ, and I hope that we keep him around long enough to be Pops replacement, although Im probably just dreaming

Kori Ellis
03-22-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm not going to exactly say I don't like PJ. But I certainly hope he gets a head coaching offer this summer.

Pugglekicker_21
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
erm.. i didnt get Kori's post ....eh Im a bit slow today. I like PJ. Really hope he doesnt jump ship this summer.

Kori Ellis
03-22-2007, 05:32 PM
erm.. i didnt get Kori's post ....eh Im a bit slow today. I like PJ. Really hope he doesnt jump ship this summer.

There was nothing to get.

I was just saying that I'm not going to trash the guy, but I prefer he goes elsewhere.

samikeyp
03-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Kori....I have heard stories about PJ not getting a head coaching gig because of the Sprewell thing....you think there is any truth to that?

Kori Ellis
03-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Kori....I have heard stories about PJ not getting a head coaching gig because of the Sprewell thing....you think there is any truth to that?

I don't know why that would hold him back. It wouldn't make sense to me - he was just a victim of choking.

But I do find it odd that all these summers he makes himself available and every yoyo around can get a head coaching job, but he doesn't.

He has wanted other jobs. The Spurs have encouraged him to pursue other opportunities. But he never gets offers.

ducks
03-22-2007, 05:36 PM
fresh blood for the assist o coach would be nice
agrentina coach would be wonderfully (note to agrentia fans ducks did post that)
pj deserves a shot
pop seems to make a public pitch every year
pj coach>>>>>>>>> alot of coaches in the nba

Ocotillo
03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I wonder if he would go back to college coaching if he were to be offered a head coaching job for a program that appeals to him?

Maybe A&M after Gillespie get's grabbed by some basketball school.

ducks
03-22-2007, 06:28 PM
pj to kentucky?

ShoogarBear
03-22-2007, 07:44 PM
PJ has had two shots at being an NBA head coach and was unimpressive in both. Why should he get another one?

SenorSpur
03-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I don't know why that would hold him back. It wouldn't make sense to me - he was just a victim of choking.

But I do find it odd that all these summers he makes himself available and every yoyo around can get a head coaching job, but he doesn't.

He has wanted other jobs. The Spurs have encouraged him to pursue other opportunities. But he never gets offers.

What's up with him? Does he "rub people the wrong way" or something?

v2freak
03-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Maybe he can become the next Avery Johnson and Mike Brown

ploto
03-22-2007, 10:56 PM
PJ won't be winning any Miss Congeniality awards.

T Park
03-22-2007, 11:13 PM
PJ IMO, isn't that great of a coach and heres why.

He doesnt seem to change during the game well.

Like for example, game i went to in January I think, against the Hornets.

Spurs are blowing the lead like usual, but he pulls the damn phil Jackson and just lets em keep playing instead of, time out, regroup, settle em down, and draw up a play.

Thats another thing, his drawn up plays out of timeouts are shit. EXAMPLE, @ Cleveland this year.

Im with Kori and wish hed go elsewhere and they hire a Billy Gillespie or a Eric Musselman.

Musselman IMO, has what it takes to be a great Spurs coach.

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2007, 11:20 PM
and they hire a Billy Gillespie or a Eric Musselman.

Musselman IMO, has what it takes to be a great Spurs coach.

Uh, Gillespie won't be looking at an NBA assistant's job for a very long time. He's a guy who's going to be commanding big bucks to be a college head coach, either at A&M or some place like Kentucky -- far, far more money than he'd ever make as an NBA assistant.

If Gillespie is coming to the NBA anytime soon, it will be because some owner decided to take a chance on him as a head coach. I'll guarantee you, though, that he's not going to be an NBA assistant at any point in the foreseeable future.

I'm also not sure why the interest in Musselman. He's in the same boat as PJ in a sense -- he's had two bites at the NBA apple and hasn't done much in either Oakland or Sacramento. Maybe he'd do a better job in a different environment, but it sure looks and sounds to me that Musselman is a significant part of the problem in Sacramento these days.

dbreiden83080
03-22-2007, 11:28 PM
PJ is a good coach and clearly Pop loves him since he has been in SA so long. I think he would do fine as the Spurs coach. Pop is a great coach but having Timmy land in his lap certainly has to count for a lot when it comes to his success.

SRJ
03-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I like PJ. I think he deserves another shot.

Musselman did a very good job with the Warriors and got fired for no good reason at all, IMO. He hasn't been so good with the Kings, I'll grant.

Que Gee
03-23-2007, 12:14 AM
PJ IMO, isn't that great of a coach and heres why.

He doesnt seem to change during the game well.

How is this any different than Pop?
:lol

Dave McNulla
03-23-2007, 01:00 AM
he's an assistant coach, i really have no idea what he does.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-23-2007, 03:23 AM
There was nothing to get.

I was just saying that I'm not going to trash the guy, but I prefer he goes elsewhere.

Just curious as to why you would prefer him to leave SA...

Kinda hard on a guy that never really does anything noticeably right or wrong (or has he???)

PM5K
03-23-2007, 08:18 AM

QFT....

It's kind of hard to rate an assistant coach, it's not like Pop gets thrown out in the first quarter every week....

Ocotillo
03-23-2007, 09:40 AM

Another thing is the role of an assistant is different from that of a head coach in that in a lot of cases the assistant serves as a go between for the head coach and the player(s). Pop was really an easy going, likable guy in public when he was an assistant. I don't think he would have been as critical (Serbian temper?) as an assistant as he is now as a head coach.

I think (my speculation only) that P.J. won't get another head coaching job in the NBA. While what Spree did was indefensible, P.J. was using epitets and taunts that ultimately provoked Spree. Again, Spree had no right to do what he did but P.J. has some fault as well and that is why I don't think he will get another head coaching shot in the NBA. General Manager types take into account the ability to "relate" to today's player when hiring coaches and while Pop and Jerry Sloane are thowbacks that you wouldn't think could stereotypically relate to the "urban" player, they do.