PDA

View Full Version : Spurs At NCAA Games?

Sam
03-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I thought for sure some of the guys would be at the games but I've yet to see them there.

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2007, 10:30 PM
They were there in 2003. Kevin Willis and Steve Smith were in there celebrating with the Michigan State fans when the Spartans won on Friday night.

I recall seeing Danny Ferry there and I'm pretty sure that Steve Kerr was with him, too.

Sam
03-22-2007, 10:32 PM
They were there in 2003. Kevin Willis and Steve Smith were in there celebrating with the Michigan State fans when the Spartans won on Friday night.

I recall seeing Danny Ferry there and I'm pretty sure that Steve Kerr was with him, too.

Yeah I was talking about tonight's games at the Alamodome.

ShoogarBear
03-22-2007, 10:40 PM

I recall seeing Danny Ferry there and I'm pretty sure that Steve Kerr was with him, too.I was there in 2003. A bunch of Spurs were sitting about 3-4 rows ahead of us. Steve Smith was working the crowd, being treated like a god. SJax, Bruce, and Ferry were there. I don't recall seeing Steve Kerr at all, though.

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Yeah I was talking about tonight's games at the Alamodome.

I understand that. I was just noting that the last time the NCAA regional was played in San Antonio, several Spurs attended the games. It was more a suggestion that some players might have chosen to do the same thing this time around -- only this time, none of the teams involved are alma maters for any Spurs players; of course, that didn't keep some of them away in 2003.

And Shoog -- I think I ended up spotting Kerr well after one of the games ended, either late on Friday night after the MSU/Maryland game or late on Sunday after the Texas/MSU game. I'll admit, though, that I might have confused that with another Kerr sighting.

phyzik
03-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Im sure they love the game, but its still their job (probably the greatest job in the world, but still a job)....

All I know is when I get off from work I dont plan on hanging out at a bank on Saturdays :lol

FromWayDowntown
03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
I suspect that if Wake had made it to the Sweet Sixteen and was playing in San Antonio, Timmy would have gone. Likewise, I suspect that guys who have affiliations with schools would have gone had their teams reached this point. Had Wake, Cal, CSF, Oregon State, Wisconsin, Kansas, Florida, Fresno State, Alabama, or Cincinnati reached this round in SA, you probably would have seen Spurs there.

Like I say, the 2003 regional worked out really for Spurs players because Michigan State played here and Steve Smith and Kevin Willis both played for MSU.

Kori Ellis
03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Im sure they love the game, but its still their job (probably the greatest job in the world, but still a job)....

All I know is when I get off from work I dont plan on hanging out at a bank on Saturdays :lol

Well they sometimes go to Silver Stars games :lol - so I would think some of them would go to these NCAA Regionals.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2007, 04:02 PM
The question tonight is whether any NCAA players will be at the Spurs game?

You can bet there're some pretty tight rules about what can happen if they do.

mabber
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Did they sell a lot of tickets? It's at the Alamodome, right? I went to the 1998 final four (KY, Utah, NCaro, Stanford) there and it was a terrible place to see a game if you didn't have decent seats. We were in the upper corner and the game was almost a rumor from up there. We left after the first semi-final and went down to the riverwalk and watched the 2nd game from a bar/restaurant there.

redskinfan
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
I enjoyed watching the spurs at the dome! I wonder if it is the same layout the spurs used to use?

mabber
03-23-2007, 04:17 PM
I enjoyed watching the spurs at the dome! I wonder if it is the same layout the spurs used to use?

I'm sure they opened up more seats for the final four at least. Not sure about the regionals.

FromWayDowntown
03-23-2007, 04:35 PM
The question tonight is whether any NCAA players will be at the Spurs game?

You can bet there're some pretty tight rules about what can happen if they do.

Most years, the players participating in the Alamo Bowl attend a Spurs home game sometime during the week that they're in San Antonio.

I remember a couple of years ago, Oklahoma State was here and their players came to see the Spurs play the Celtics during Tony Allen's rookie season, so the couple of times that Allen did anything notable during that game, he got a pretty good response from the OSU football team.

SrA Husker
03-23-2007, 08:55 PM
FWD:

That's actually on the official schedule for the schools each year...

ShoogarBear
03-23-2007, 09:35 PM
The situations are technically similar, but is a slight difference in that NCAA football players are unlikely to be drafted by the Spurs or another NBA team.

Danny Ainge wouldn't have gotten fined for sitting next to Brady Quinn's mom.

td4mvp21
03-23-2007, 10:07 PM
I just got tickets for the game tomorrow so I'll let you guys know if I see them there :smokin.

Sam
03-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I just got tickets for the game tomorrow so I'll let you guys know if I see them there :smokin.
You better not see them tomorrow. They are flying out tomorrow afternoon for Seattle.

td4mvp21
03-23-2007, 11:03 PM
You better not see them tomorrow. They are flying out tomorrow afternoon for Seattle.
:lmao My bad.