PDA

View Full Version : Texans to cut Carr, Williams

mardigan
03-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Carr and Williams released
March 23, 2007
By Carmine Pirone
HoustonTexans.com

In a move that only amplifies the Texans' desire to move forward instead of looking back, the team announced Friday the release of quarterback David Carr and running back Domanick Williams.

The duo’s days in Houston were numbered. Carr, when the Texans traded for quarterback Matt Schaub Thursday and Williams when he had yet another setback in an attempted comeback from knee surgery a few weeks back.

An era has ended and with it the careers of Houston ’s all-time leading passer and rusher. Carr passed for more than 13,000 yards in his five-year career while Williams has amassed over 3,000 on the ground.

Carr passed for 59 touchdowns, setting a franchise mark that likely won’t be challenged for years. Williams’ 28 total touchdowns will likely last a while as well.

As rare as it is for a team to release a tandem of players so decorated in franchise history, Friday’s move is not really surprising.

Thanks to debilitating knee injury, Williams did not play a down during the 2006 campaign and with yet another setback on the road to recovery this offseason, his career in the NFL could be over.

Carr is nothing if not durable, but a change in direction by the front office had Carr looking for a new home this offseason. Since a trading partner could not be found, Carr will spend the next weeks and months looking for another home.

The former number one overall pick has plenty of football left in him. At 27, his best day’s in the NFL could be ahead. Whether or not a team will give him a chance to start for them in 2007 is anyone’s best guess, but considering Carr’s raw athleticism he will certainly find a home somewhere before this season begins, but for the first time in his career he’ll be taking snaps in a uniform other then the Texans.

Taco
03-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Wow

mardigan
03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow
No shit right? I cant believe they cut Carr, the Dolphins are going after him, and they then could cut Cullpepper from what Ive heard

redskinfan
03-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Domanick Davis not Williams this is maybe a fake collumm

mardigan
03-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Domanick Davis not Williams this is maybe a fake collumm
He changed his last name last year, another smart Redskin fan

redskinfan
03-23-2007, 05:01 PM
He got married?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
The Houston FO may have officially taken over as the worst run franchise in the NFL, bumping the Lions to #2.

At least MM traded Harrington for a 6th round draft pick. Houston, WTF are you doing?

midgetonadonkey
03-23-2007, 05:25 PM
:pctoss

They get nothing for him? What the fuck? They have dumb assholes running that organization.

Fillmoe
03-23-2007, 05:29 PM
wow.... they could have atleast gotten some picks for those guys.... wasnt it not even 2 years ago that davis was a 1000 yard rusher? i hope the niners pick up davis to backup gore

midgetonadonkey
03-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Davis' knee is shit. He isn't good anymore.

Fillmoe
03-23-2007, 05:42 PM
his knee is shit? how do you know that for sure? hes 25 years old..... he just missed a whole season..... but players have came back from serious knee injuries....... frank gore tore both acls in college...... just last year he rushed for 1600 yards averaging over 5 yards a carry.....

03-23-2007, 05:51 PM
His knee is bone on bone. He's done.

mardigan
03-23-2007, 06:18 PM
his knee is shit? how do you know that for sure? hes 25 years old..... he just missed a whole season..... but players have came back from serious knee injuries....... frank gore tore both acls in college...... just last year he rushed for 1600 yards averaging over 5 yards a carry.....
Yea, he is done, his knee didnt heal right after two surgerys, and I doubt we will ever see him play again

Peter
03-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Well, it’s finally here,

I’ve been waitin’ all week

Just to kick this thing off

I’ve been rockin’ away at the edge of my seat

Now I’m ready to roll

Here they come to mix things up

Bet your boots they’re tough enough

Let’s get ready to root for our team

All you Texans get up and scream

Chorus:

Its football time in Houston

Man, we’re ready to play

We’ve got no time to lose now

It’s red, white and blue today

Welcome to the greatest city of all

Houston, Texas, are you ready for some football?

It can rain, it can pour

It can snow, I don’t care

I’m here till the end

The spirit of victory flowin’ ‘round in the air

We’re gonna win

I’m so excited that we’re all here

I love the sound of those hometown cheers

Men, women, girls and boys

Get on your feet

Make some noise

Repeat Chorus

Bridge:

Courage, Pride, Independence and Tradition, Strength

The Texans are about to march

TORO's gettin’ ready to charge

Repeat Chorus

yavozerb
03-23-2007, 08:53 PM
The probably with trading Carr was no team wanted a possible backup QB with a contract of 6-7 million.

03-23-2007, 09:04 PM
That's not a problem, he could have agreed to restructure his deal...

mardigan
03-23-2007, 09:42 PM
I really cant believe they didnt get at least a 6th or 7th for him, anything

Extra Stout
03-23-2007, 09:43 PM
What will be funny is when Carr throws for 400 yards in Reliant Stadium on his way to a Pro Bowl appearance.

Fillmoe
03-23-2007, 10:04 PM
damn his knee is that bad.... bone to bone..... i didnt know about that.....

mardigan
03-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Yea man,and its too bad, I really liked the little guy, was a really productive back, its sad that his career is pretty much over at 25

Pugglekicker_21
03-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Damn that guy could've been great...nah he'd be....well I guess we'll never know now.
I really think Carr can be good, but whoever signs him will basically be getting a 27 year old rookie who has the distinction of being sacked 249 times. I really do not think he is as bad as people say. WAKE UP BALTIMORE HERE IS YOUR FUTURE QB! I'd pursue him, but they only have like 3.6 mil in cap space.

sa_butta
03-24-2007, 09:06 AM
No shit right? I cant believe they cut Carr, the Dolphins are going after him, and they then could cut Cullpepper from what Ive heard
South Florida Sun-Sentinel-"The agent for Trent Green said Friday that the quarterback wants to play for the Dolphins in 2007 and the only roadblock is an impasse in trade talks with the Kansas City Chiefs... A source said the Dolphins have interest in David Carr, who was released Friday by Houston shortly after Matt Schaub was acquired in a trade with Atlanta... Should Green or Carr be added, the Dolphins could part ways with quarterback Daunte Culpepper."

Pugglekicker_21
03-24-2007, 03:27 PM
So then Culpepper will bite Miami in the ass after Carr bites Houston.

DNS Error
03-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Being a Fin fan, I hope they resolve their QB issue. Culpepper Green, and maybe Carr...a lot of talent right there.

Purple & Gold
03-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm still laughing at what they did in last years draft.

Purple & Gold
03-24-2007, 05:20 PM
And I have a question.

Are most fans from Houston, Texan fans or Titan fans?

mardigan
03-24-2007, 05:35 PM
And I have a question.

Are most fans from Houston, Texan fans or Titan fans?
Most that I know are Texans fans,they feel like they got betrayed when the team moved. But the Titans drafting Vince last year is sure testing a lot of their alliances

T Park
03-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Another fantastic move...

Unreal.

David Carr will go to a Minnesota, put up huge numbers, and laugh his ass off at Matt Schaub as that fucker eats fertilizer every week like he had.

If Carr would've had a line worth a fuck, he would've blossomed.

No one in Houston or the surrounding team seems to fucking get that.

Taco
03-26-2007, 11:33 AM
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1685/dummiesbookne8.jpg
The Texans should have read this book last year

midgetonadonkey
03-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Carr won't put up and decent numbers. His mechanics are terrible and can't make a single decent decision when it comes to reading defenses. He is just not a good quarterback.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Carr won't put up and decent numbers. His mechanics are terrible and can't make a single decent decision when it comes to reading defenses. He is just not a good quarterback.
Yea, and he holds on to the ball way to long as well as fumbles constantly

AFBlue
03-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Carr came into this league like Brett Favre. He was a fearless gunner. After 5 consecutive seasons with nearly 70 sacks per, I think you'd be a little "gun shy" too. Carr may be irreparably damaged, but he's a confident kid that seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I hope he bounces back....and I personally think he will.

For T Park though....the rumor out of Minnesota is that they're content to have an open competition between Tavaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger. The three primary suitors are Miami (if they can't get a deal done for Trent Green), Oakland, or Detroit.

AFBlue
03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
The Texans though are continuing to make some questionable decisions. Signing an unproven guy to a $48M contract, giving up two second rounders, and not getting anything in return for Carr....shoddy work.

mardigan
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Carr came into this league like Brett Favre. He was a fearless gunner. After 5 consecutive seasons with nearly 70 sacks per, I think you'd be a little "gun shy" too. Carr may be irreparably damaged, but he's a confident kid that seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I hope he bounces back....and I personally think he will.

For T Park though....the rumor out of Minnesota is that they're content to have an open competition between Tavaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger. The three primary suitors are Miami (if they can't get a deal done for Trent Green), Oakland, or Detroit.
More like 50 sacks per, and I have watched way to many Texans games to let you make it seem like all those sacks are the lines fault. Yes the line wasnt the best, but Carr routinely held on to the ball far to long and would not get rid of it. He also fumbled about 12 times a season and would lose 4 a season, way to many.

Extra Stout
03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
With the Texans' luck, some previously undetected scar tissue will break up in his shoulder, allowing him to throw smoothly overhand, and his IQ will magically go up 30 points, so that he can figure out a Cover-2 defense.

midgetonadonkey
03-26-2007, 09:25 PM
With the Texans' luck, some previously undetected scar tissue will break up in his shoulder, allowing him to throw smoothly overhand, and his IQ will magically go up 30 points, so that he can figure out a Cover-2 defense.

That won't happen. Carr will never be nothing more than a backup QB.

scott
03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Carr has a solid arm, but as Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson will tell ya - that alone doesn't cut it in the NFL.

midgetonadonkey
03-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Carr should take the money he made and the money he is owed and fucking retire. He is done.