PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe: Spurs' Popovich commends Barry for his defense

Gerryatrics
03-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Spurs' Popovich commends Barry for his defense

Web Posted: 03/24/2007 12:26 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News

It was a Spurs version of man bites dog.

In this case it was Pop praises Brent Barry's defense, and it was enough to make a grown man cry, if only for the laughs.

Barry's defense on Detroit's Tayshaun Prince was instrumental in the Spurs' 90-89 victory at the AT&T Center, and coach Gregg Popovich didn't mind saying so.

"His defense has gotten better," said Popovich, for whom defense is paramount. "He's concentrating on it. He's never going to be the best defender in the league, but he's definitely improving at it, and that's what's important."

You can call that a backhanded compliment if you like. Barry called it praise effusive enough to feign tears for a TV crew in the Spurs' locker room.

"Give me a minute, will you guys," Barry said, putting his head in both hands and faking a couple of sobs.

Prince scored 12 points, but three of them came on a meaningless shot launched with one second left and the Spurs ahead by four. Time expired with Prince's shot in the air, and no Spur had tried to prevent him from taking it.

"We did some things defensively for Tayshaun where we were just trying to make it tough for him to catch the ball," Barry said. "Some of the situations were the fact they weren't really going to him that much. I don't mind that one bit. It makes my defense look a lot better."

Barry, who has been starting since Jan. 28, says the Spurs are beginning to defend in the aggressive manner that will be required in the playoffs.

"As a team, I think in the last few weeks we've gotten better. Aside from the Milwaukee and Boston games, I think our defense has been very consistent through a 16- or 17-game stretch. We're going to need to keep that up."

Barry knows he did not replace Manu Ginobili in the starting lineup because of his defensive work. The league's No. 4 3-point shooter heading into Friday's game, Popovich wants him to look for his shots early. Barry made two 3-pointers in the first period and four of five for the game.

Barry was active in the Spurs' offense, and that earned him a longer run than normal in the first quarter. Ginobili, who usually comes in after no more than six minutes, didn't replace Barry until the 2:14 mark of the first period.

"I thought Brent played very confidently," Popovich said. "He's looking for his shot, as he has. But he's playing a good floor game, too. He's moving the basketball."

Barry didn't know what to make of the extended first-period time.

"Usually, we're pretty much on the clock," he said, "but we didn't make the change, so I went over to Manu at the four-minute mark and said, 'What's wrong, are you hurt?'

"He got a good chuckle out of that."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032407.15C.BKNspurs.barry.3c8b867.html

remingtonbo2001
03-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Nice article! It's great to see Brent find a niche on this team.

ducks
03-24-2007, 09:33 AM
nice barry is stepping up while manu is playing like barry was

whottt
03-24-2007, 01:02 PM
TimVP, your thoughts?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-24-2007, 09:49 PM
I've appreciated Barry's hustle on D for a while. No, he is never going to be a lockdown defender, but he gives his all and seems to have a knack for breaking up plays in transition. I think he's given far too much curry about his D.

Bob Lanier
03-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Tayshaun Prince has been unable to solve the quick double team Pop sends since he first encountered it in 2005.

That isn't really so much to Barry (or Ginobili)'s credit as it is to Duncan and the weakside rotations behind him. As little as I think of Tayshaun Prince, he's more than capable of scoring at will on Brent Barry if he's allowed to go one-on-one.

T Park
03-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Good to see Barry actually giving a crap.

Lets see him do it when it counts in the playoffs.

whottt
03-24-2007, 10:25 PM
hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

T Park
03-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Label it all you want.

Lets see him have less of the 20 minute 0000000000000000000000000000000 across the board and more games like vs the Pistons.

timvp
03-24-2007, 10:54 PM
"His defense has gotten better," said Popovich

This is true. Before the last ten games or so, Barry was playing horrible defense. He was giving no effort on that end of the court. It was actually surprising because last year I thought he played the best defense of his career. Not spectacular, but decent.

Barry has stepped it up and is focusing more. He'll still get beat for backdoors now and again, but he's more aware of his help defense responsibilities. He's still athletic and doesn't have any problem moving around, with him it's just a matter of wanting to defend.

Over the first 58 games of the season, Barry was hands down the worst defender on the team:

Points Allowed Per 48 Minutes - First 58 Games
J. Vaughn 84.6
R. Horry 85.9
B. Bowen 86.6
T. Duncan 86.9
M. Ginobili 88.7
T. Parker 89.1
F. Elson 89.9
F. Oberto 91.3
M. Finley 92.1
B. Udrih 92.8
M. Bonner 94.8
B. Barry 94.9

The last ten games, you can look at the stats and see that Barry has improved significantly:

Points Allowed Per 48 Minutes - Last 10 Games
B. Bowen 78.4
B. Barry 81.5
F. Elson 81.9
T. Duncan 82.5
T. Parker 84.2
J. Vaughn 84.6
R. Horry 84.9
F. Oberto 85.5
M. Ginobili 86.0
B. Udrih 87.6
M. Bonner 89.5
M. Finley 93.6

Sure, playing with the rest of the starting five helps but for the first 13 games he was starting, Barry's defensive numbers weren't getting any better. Now you can actually see improvement on the court and in the stats.

If you look at the whole season stats, you can see that Barry is no longer last:

Points Allowed Per 48 Minutes - Season
J. Vaughn 84.6
B. Bowen 85.4
R. Horry 85.8
T. Duncan 86.2
F. Elson 88.3
M. Ginobili 88.3
T. Parker 88.4
F. Oberto 90.7
B. Udrih 92.1
M. Finley 92.3
B. Barry 92.8
M. Bonner 93.8

My only question with Barry is if he'll be able to defend in the playoffs against an isolation team like the Mavs. The Mavs are all about iso's and exposing mismatches. Who can you put Barry on against that team and not get exposed? Unless Buckner plays, I'm not sure. There's no way you want Barry against Terry, Harris, Stackhouse or Howard.

Looking at these defensive stats on a whole, the thing that stands out to me is Bowen. Spurs fans like to bury him, but he's consistently been a good defender this season and is getting better. Over the last ten games, there's no Spur in the same zipcode defensively.

Vaughn's numbers are a little inflated because the pace slows down when he's in, but he's played well defensively. Although as of late (the last five or six games), it seems that his energy hasn't been there.

Elson's presence on defense is being felt more and more. He's understanding his role and it looks like he's making an impact. I'd still like him to rebound more, but if he can at least make a dent in the number defensively, I guess that's enough.

Horry's D has fallen off some, but he's probably the most underrated defender on the Spurs. Duncan is bringing the D. Parker is getting better on that end. When Manu struggles with O, he oftentimes doesn't bring as much energy on D. But when his O is on, Manu is a damn good help defender.

The three players who have consistently been outed defensively are Finley, Udrih and Bonner. With Finley, I'm not exactly sure what it is. He's always been a poor defender his whole career (well, at least ever since he left Phoenix). Now that he's lost a step, it's just been magnified. At one point him and Barry might have been two of the top five worst perimeter defenders in the league this year. The difference is that Barry's problem was more of effort, while Finley is more of being laterally slow.

Udrih is probably always going to struggle on defense. He's just too big to try to defend point guard on a consistent basis. Bonner always brings the effort, but he lacks a lot of defensive instincts. In the right matchups, he's a decent defender. But you put him against a low post scorer or a monster rebounder and he can't get the job done yet. I still have hope that Bonner can at least get to Oberto's level of decency on D.

Spurminator
03-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Guess we can surmise Michael Finley doesn't give a crap and never has, right T Park?

ducks
03-24-2007, 10:57 PM
good post timvp

T Park
03-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Playing for Nellie's teams will do that.

T Park
03-24-2007, 11:00 PM
There's no way you want Barry against Terry, Harris, Stackhouse or Howard.

Last year Barry got absolutely burned time and time again on the same Iso Stackhouse on the weakside where he would turn to the middle and make the same fallaway jumper.

Hopefully Bowen can be decent enough on offense, and Elson is worth a crap, so neither he nor Finley have to be on the court in key situations.

milkyway21
03-24-2007, 11:46 PM
You can call that a backhanded compliment if you like. Barry called it praise effusive enough to feign tears for a TV crew in the Spurs' locker room.

"Give me a minute, will you guys," Barry said, putting his head in both hands and faking a couple of sobs :dramaquee :lol

:wakeup nice to hear one Spurs player's defense is improving. This is how this team won the 3 championships-defense.
Constant rumors of a possible trade might be one reason for his improvement.