PDA

View Full Version : Parker keeps Spurs feeling young

biba
03-24-2007, 01:17 PM
What do U think about this one ?
SAN ANTONIO -- On Feb. 11, roughly six weeks ago, the San Antonio Spurs were demolished by the Miami Heat. At that point the foolish wrote them off.

Phoenix and Dallas were captivating everyone's imagination and the Spurs were yesterday's news. Since then, they have won 15 of 17 games, including Friday's 90-89 win over the Detroit Pistons, who strolled into the AT&T Center with the Eastern Conference's top record.

It's human nature to expect a team that has been so good for so long to fade. Tim Duncan is older, and last year's injuries made it seem like he was going the dinosaur route. Manu Ginobili costs the team thousands in medical bills and constantly reeks of ointment.

Robert Horry? Michael Finley? They're still in the league? Brent Barry? Wasn't it like 20 years ago that he won a slam-dunk contest? Didn't his pop invent the game in the 19th century?

Those seem to be the perceptions.

The truth, which became quite evident against Detroit, is that these guys have found a fountain of youth. His name is Tony Parker, and he's just entering his prime.

The 24-year-old Parker is playing at the highest level of his career, displaying a swagger like never before. In the past he has had to defer, even as the point guard. Now he leads, ignites and inspires.

"I just try to be aggressive. Especially in a game like this that you know is going to be one of those physical, playoff-type games against one of the best teams in the league," said Parker. "I wanted to come out and set the tone that way, just come out as strong as possible."

Chauncey Billups is an elite point guard. Parker destroyed him Friday. Sure, Billups is still suffering through the lingering effects of a strained groin and didn't look 100 percent on the second night of a back-to-back, but Parker smelled blood and went right at him. There was no mercy.

"I have to take responsibility for my play tonight," Billups said. "I just need to take the time to regroup and play better in the next game. I'm trying to find my rhythm."

When Flip Murray was out there in his place, Parker took him to task, too. Defensively, he set the tone. On the other end, he was the offense for the first three quarters, and then set the table for Ginobili and Duncan to help hold off Detroit.

"For every minute he was out there, he was aggressive," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, "running the team and really leading the way."

In a league he entered at 19 years old, Tony Parker is now every bit a man. The Man.

He finished with 22 points and seven assists, but those are just numbers. It's the manner in which he's playing that has made the difference and helped lift the Spurs from the coffin many tried to bury them in. He's got a fire started, and there's very few in this league capable of dousing it.

Parker helped spark the Spurs to a 23-12 lead before Ginobili even checked in, scoring six points and assisting on four other baskets. He made sure his team was ready for the challenge of a 2005 Finals rematch that always serves as a measuring stick for both squads, particularly now with the playoffs just weeks away.

He was so psyched, so in the groove, that when he called his own number for a pull-up jumper to end the third and missed, he strolled back to the San Antonio bench to catch Popovich's glare. Pop mouthed, "Pass the ball." Parker told me after the game that he was so focused he didn't even see it.

Only in the NBA can someone his age be considered a veteran, but the flip side to that is that he's still so young that he's got plenty of room for improvement.

"Definitely, you know, I'm still working on my jump shot," said Parker of his one glaring weakness since he came into the league, but one that has shown marked improvement.

How much stronger is he going to get? At his current rate of progression, there might come a time, real soon in fact, where he might enter the MVP debate. There's a lot of sentiment for giving Steve Nash the MVP again this season, because he's having perhaps the finest season of his career. Parker joins Nash as the only players in the league averaging over 18 points, five assists and shooting over 50 percent from the floor.

When Nash was 24, he was in his second year in the league, still trying to make a name for himself in his first go-round in Phoenix. Parker's already a two-time NBA champion and All-Star.

With his game blossoming steadily, the Spurs and their old band of geezers figure to be a force for at least a few more seasons. That's what those who already counted them out forgot about. Parker, one of the fastest players in the league, has plenty of juice for all of them.

March 23, 2007
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

What do U think about this one ?

powerpower
03-24-2007, 01:29 PM
we'll see if the young can stay consistant in the playoff or the OLD FOOLS will come and show the young how its done.!

SpursDynasty
03-24-2007, 01:32 PM
:::Awaiting argument that Parker is inconsistent or this or that or blah blah blah:::: followed by "Oh well such and such is SO much more young and athletic."

12 more wins to 60.

Next.

stéphane
03-24-2007, 01:36 PM
entering the mvp debate... lol?
everyone not name duncan on the spurs has nothing to do with the mvp debate... as long as tim is still on the spurs at least.
is tony mejia french? ^^

mardigan
03-24-2007, 01:45 PM
No way he is in the MVP debate this year, just no way. Maybe one day, but I even have my doubts about that

JPB
03-24-2007, 02:49 PM
At his current rate of progression, there might come a time, real soon in fact, where he might enter the MVP debate.

relax guys.

mardigan
03-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Whos not relaxed?

ducks
03-24-2007, 10:51 PM
At his current rate of progression, there might come a time, real soon in fact, where he might enter the MVP debate. There's a lot of sentiment for giving Steve Nash the MVP again this season, because he's having perhaps the finest season of his career. Parker joins Nash as the only players in the league averaging over 18 points, five assists and shooting over 50 percent from the floor.

T Park
03-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Two players in the NBA average over 18 points and 5 assists.

Steve Nash, and Tony Parker.

A big right hook to the Parker haters league wide...

ducks
03-24-2007, 11:06 PM
you forgot also shooting over 50&

timvp
03-24-2007, 11:26 PM
:lol

Parker isn't as good as this article paints him to be. He's not someone who you can put in the same sentence with MVP. Maybe one day, but first he'd have to attain the status of perennial All-Star.

Since Pop got on Duncan for whining too much, Duncan has starting playing near MVP levels. Manu had a stretch where he looked like a top five player in the league. Parker never really peaks that high, but over the last two years he's probably been the most consistent Spur.

exstatic
03-24-2007, 11:28 PM
When Tim retires, and IF he decides to stay, Tony Parker will someday be the only thing keeping SA in the playoff hunt. Notice I didn't say title contention. Those days are over for a long time when Tim hangs them up. OTOH, Iverson, who is a total chucker, took a team to the Finals. I guess anything is possible.

Kori Ellis
03-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Two players in the NBA average over 18 points and 5 assists.

Steve Nash, and Tony Parker.

A big right hook to the Parker haters league wide...

Actually quite a few players average 18 and 5. As ducks noted, it's Parker's high shooting percentage that makes him different.

T Park
03-24-2007, 11:58 PM
ducks has that?

(looks)

Well I'll be damned...

mikeanthony21
03-24-2007, 11:59 PM
When Tim retires, and IF he decides to stay, Tony Parker will someday be the only thing keeping SA in the playoff hunt. Notice I didn't say title contention. Those days are over for a long time when Tim hangs them up. OTOH, Iverson, who is a total chucker, took a team to the Finals. I guess anything is possible.

Who knows, maybe Holt will sell the team to a megabillionaire who wont be afraid to go over the cap and sign a few free agents. :spin

exstatic
03-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Who knows, maybe Holt will sell the team to a megabillionaire who wont be afraid to go over the cap and sign a few free agents. :spin
Well, Holt isn't a Mega-Billionaire, but even when SA had caproom and were willing to spend, no one wanted to come to a title contender. I would think it would be VERY IMPORTANT to retain Tony. We are kind of spoiled with 3 All Stars, but that could go to zero pretty quick, and we could be the Bobcats in a flash.

koopa
03-25-2007, 12:46 AM
it's funny how low they have to go in the assist column just to put parker in the same class as nash.........

bdictjames
03-25-2007, 02:10 AM
As the playoffs approach, people are starting to talk about the Spurs. Wow.

jaespur21
03-25-2007, 03:54 AM
I was @ tony Parkers first ever start @ the Alamodome and i was amazed at how fast he was. he is a special player and i hope he continues to improve bcuz if his jumpshot gets consistent not a person can guard him not a sole

whottt
03-25-2007, 03:58 AM
:lol

Parker isn't as good as this article paints him to be. He's not someone who you can put in the same sentence with MVP. Maybe one day, but first he'd have to attain the status of perennial All-Star.

Since Pop got on Duncan for whining too much, Duncan has starting playing near MVP levels. Manu had a stretch where he looked like a top five player in the league. Parker never really peaks that high, but over the last two years he's probably been the most consistent Spur.

Parker challenges Shaq for leading the league in points in the paint...hell, he's beating Shaq this year( know, so are a lot of other guys)...but Parker can challenge him when he's healthy.

That makes him pretty unique for a PG...and that skill alone makes him a force in the basketball world. It's not a stretch to say that Parker's numbers would be bigger if he didn't play on such an unselfish and talented team.

And Duncan's not the reason Parker gets into the paint like that, that's Tony doing that all by his lonesome. It's not just penetration either...if he's standing near the basket his little flip is a more deadly finish than most big guys dunks.

Tony Parker = A devastating force in the paint to be reckoned with....All Star Game or not.

aaronstampler
03-25-2007, 05:18 AM
So okay, he misses the open man that's all spotted up and ready to shoot at the end of the 3rd quarter, and then he's so "focused" that he misses the coach's instructions afterward, and everyone thinks this is fine?

Really?

Okay, just making sure.

Freeze
03-25-2007, 07:52 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/nash_mvp_05-06.html

NEW YORK, May 7 – Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns was named the winner of the Maurice Podoloff Trophy as the NBA’s Most Valuable Player for the 2005-06 season, the NBA announced today. He joins Hall of Famer Magic Johnson as the only point guards in league history to capture multiple MVP trophies and becomes one of only nine players to win the award in consecutive seasons.
The 10-year NBA veteran totaled 924 points, including 57 first place votes, from a panel of 125 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Players were awarded 10 points for each first-place vote, seven points for each second-place vote, five for third, three for fourth and one for each fifth-place vote received
Rounding out the top five in voting for MVP were Cleveland’s LeBron James (688 points), Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki (544 points), the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant (483 points) and Detroit’s Chauncey Billups (430 points).

Nash averaged career highs in points (18.8), rebounds (4.2), minutes (35.5), field goal percentage (.512) and free throw percentage (.921). He posted 3.3 more points per game than last season, the second-largest scoring increase following an MVP season (Larry Bird, 4.5 ppg, 1984-85) in league history. Handing out a league-high 10.5 assists per game, Nash helped six of his teammates to career highs in scoring average.

The 6-3 guard joined Reggie Miller (1993-94), Mark Price (1988-89) and Bird (1986-87, 1987-88) as the only players in league history to shoot at least 50 percent from the field, 40 percent from 3-point range (.439) and 90 percent from the free throw line and meet all the statistical minimums.

Nash guided the Suns to their second straight Pacific Division title and a league-high 108.4 points per game despite the absence of three of the team’s top five scorers from last season (Amare Stoudemire, Quentin Richardson and Joe Johnson). A Nash-led team has topped the league in scoring for five consecutive seasons, making Nash the first player to be part of the league’s highest scoring squad for five straight years since Alex English and Dan Issel led the Nuggets from 1980-85.

The NBA MVP trophy is named in honor of the late Maurice Podoloff, the first commissioner of the NBA who served from 1946 until his retirement in 1963.

Below are the voting results for the 2005-06 NBA Most Valuable Player Award:

Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total Pts
Steve Nash, Phoenix 57 32 20 8 6 924
LeBron James, Cleveland 16 41 33 23 7 688
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas 14 22 25 36 17 544
Kobe Bryant, LA Lakers 22 11 18 22 30 483
Chauncey Billups, Detroit 15 13 22 18 25 430
Dwyane Wade, Miami - 3 4 9 19 87
Elton Brand, LA Clippers 1 1 2 3 14 50
Tim Duncan, San Antonio - 2 - 6 1 33
Tony Parker, San Antonio - - 1 - 4 9
Allen Iverson, Philadelphia - - - - 1 1
Shawn Marion, Phoenix - - - - 1 1

exstatic
03-25-2007, 09:04 AM
So okay, he misses the open man that's all spotted up and ready to shoot at the end of the 3rd quarter, and then he's so "focused" that he misses the coach's instructions afterward, and everyone thinks this is fine?

Really?

Okay, just making sure.
Bury the hate. That play was started by an Elson rebound on the Detroit baseline with 3 seconds left.

T Park
03-25-2007, 09:17 AM
now now exstatic, he doesn't "hate" anyone.

:lmao

Skip Bayless
03-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Im not convinced that Parker is a big time player yet. Im sorry i just dont see it. he is not a true point guard. he doesnt get his teammates involved enough and cant hit an open jump shot. He came up short in the series with the Mavs last year, and the Spurs will be chasing the Mavs as they go on a 5-6 year run with multiple championships. Right now i'd have to take Jose Juan Barea over Parker.

exstatic
03-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Im not convinced that Parker is a big time player yet. Im sorry i just dont see it. he is not a true point guard. he doesnt get his teammates involved enough and cant hit an open jump shot. He came up short in the series with the Mavs last year, and the Spurs will be chasing the Mavs as they go on a 5-6 year run with multiple championships. Right now i'd have to take Jose Juan Barea over Parker.
Thank you, mister 4 posts Mav troll.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Really?

Okay, just making sure.
That's the "tunnel-vision" Parker's guilty of..:depressed

I thought that example was a pretty weird one to draw up, in favor of talking about Parker's "focus"

But yeah, this article is propping him a bit much. I mean I don't see how drawing the Parker comparison to Nash in his second year, by saying Parker already was a champion was anything but a thin statement. There's too much in between to compare or conclude that's what makes Parker's case for whatever case the article's implying(...MVP level player??).

Now, not taking anything away from Parker's great promise, this article is a bit of dodgy.

exstatic
03-25-2007, 01:13 PM
I mean I don't see how drawing the Parker comparison to Nash in his second year, by saying Parker already was a champion was anything but a thin statement.
RIF. The comparison is, they were 24, and 24YO Parker >>> 24YO Nash.

That's the "tunnel-vision" Parker's guilty of..
WTF??? There were 3 seconds left in the fucking quarter and the ball had to go the length of the court.

aaronstampler
03-25-2007, 04:13 PM
if Pop thought the pass was there and there was time, then the pass was there and there was time.

1Parker1
03-25-2007, 04:27 PM
if Pop thought the pass was there and there was time, then the pass was there and there was time.

What's your point? You act like no one on the team outside of Parker ever makes any mistakes or forces a shot. Ginobili does it plenty of times, Duncan does it, even Bowen does it. No one is going to play perfect basketball all the time. And in Parker's defense he was in a zone and scoring at will against the Pistons, if that shot had gone in, which it almost did, we wouldn't be having a conversation.

ShoogarBear
03-25-2007, 05:32 PM
if that shot had gone in, which it almost did, we wouldn't be having a conversation.Oh yes you would. Never underestimate the nitpicking powers of the Parker haters.

1Parker1
03-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Oh yes you would. Never underestimate the nitpicking powers of the Parker haters.

True. Dude scores 22 points and 7 assists against the team with the best record in the East, and people are still finding stuff to nit-pick on.

ducks
03-25-2007, 06:45 PM
1parker1

they hate parker because he is french
they hate tp because his girl is 100 times hotter then their girl if they are lucky enough to have one

gilmor
03-25-2007, 07:07 PM
1parker1

they hate parker because he is french
they hate tp because his girl is 100 times hotter then their girl if they are lucky enough to have one

I personally like Tony alot.. more so than Manu..

But to be realistic, Tony is no way near the kind of player that Manu is at the moment. Manu may do stupid things for 3 quarters but when it comes time in the 4th quarter, I can bet my money on Manu for any shots that he take.. He just got more heart and will to win than Tony or any other player on the Spurs roster at the moment. And that's the difference between the greatness of Manu and a good player like Tony.

veruca
03-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Hey tony-haters, lighten up. It's just a frigging article giving Tony some deserving props; he's not being anointed best in NBA. Unlike alot of Spurs posters in here, I can actually say I like BOTH Tony and Manu--what a concept! It's not a fucking contest between Tony and Manu. Both are awesome players in their own right.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-25-2007, 08:39 PM
RIF. The comparison is, they were 24, and 24YO Parker >>> 24YO Nash. NOOO... the article says something off the cuff, "Parker an already two time champion." as if we're to forget the other factors behind that aside from Parker's individual progression. Umm,, Nash wasn't fortunate enough to play beside a Duncan or Shaq when he was 24. Let alone he was already a backup for Kidd. While Pop had no serviceable point guard so really worked hard with making Tony the player he is today.

I wasn't alluding to that measly comparison of being developed at 24 or not developed, and I pay for assuming I didn't have to elaborate. When i say it's THIN, I say, just because Nash is an elite player LATER doesn't logically mean all signs point to Parker being undeniably elite. You can look at it this way, how can you predict Parker will be an MVP sometime down the road, by comparing him to a 24 year old Nash? Nash in the last three years, you think he already hit his peak at the age of 30 winning his first MVP, right? Going off age. You can even compare it to Jason Kidd's decline--at 31 he was slowing down or whatever-- but he's still gotten better the following two years! He went from seemingly talented, spry, wreckless point guard who was just good, and looked to be Kirk Hinrich level good not Chris Paul good when he started. Into a fucking elite beast who stands in the same class as the Kobes Lebrons and Wades. What I'm saying is to use the AGE CARD IS USUALLY, a thin basis for prediction and comparison. And to put it a step further, you can't rest on your laurels relying on age.
Nash could be considered a late bloomer and Parker can be considered an early bloomer.

And as for you guys throwing around the "hater" card.

That mentality, is stupid and defensive. To use the word Parker Haters makes it seem like, there's more intent in people's comments than there really is. Quit being so paranoid. Any mention of Manu or Tony, to think you have to tip-toe and walk on egg shells on here or else you're gonna be labeled Manu cocksucker or Tony pole-rider. Or a xenophobe against argentines, or a Tony-basher, is pretty annoying.

There's only about two Manu lovers on here, and one real Manu hater on here. and about two real Parker haters. And most of them probably don't even care who they piss off in their comments.

stop categorizing posters.

There's no such thing as a Parker-hater, if you're a fucking true Spurs basketball fan. I never even heard of the idea before I started posting here, I never even considered myself a "parker-hater" but by the way the comments started unfolding on here after a few measly harmless statements. Some of you decide to read into them the wrong way. I don't even know if Aaronstampler is a Parker hater, but I even thought reading his post about the missed shot line, just because he made a criticism about, "hmm, is he one of those Parker haters the posters are referring to?" and now I realize, damn, this paranoid mentailty is pretty lame.

people are still finding stuff to nit-pick on.

Attacking the article is not attacking Parker in any way. It's a shoddy piece of work. What do you expect us all to do? Clap our hands saying, "Yayyy, Parkerrr... The article says he's going to be MVP. Ok, wow, I believe it now!!"
like fucking monkeys?

And talk about pot calling the kettle black. You start nitpicking a few harmless criticisms, it's pretty paranoid if you ask me. And stunts discussion. Bite your lip, next time you see a comment you don't agree with in backing your boy, Parker or Manu. And quit saying, "oh this guy here. This guy must be a Parker-hater! " and burn them at the stake. It can blind you from being objective, when you strip them of their credibility, when it's definitely uncalled for. Some people on here ACTUALLY do want to see their players improve, and if they hold high standards. So be it. But don't be so quick to dismiss them. Once you label them, the actual point they're making gets lost. Where did I try to discredit Tony? Isn't Tony not seeing Pop disagreeing with his decision, an example of Tunnel-Vision???

I don't see any reason why we should keep comments middle of the road, "how bout we just like both guys" to appease both sides. We're not always gonna agree what we want to see from our players. Tony is not Manu. He can't do all the things he does.
Manu isn't Tony. He's not always gonna be running around getting a dozen layups in the lane every game, because he can't pace the way he hustles. And because of that, they're bound to be favored over the other.